Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Notorious QIG posted:

it's ok, im ground flooring this poo poo. either (a) we get bought out and then im hosed or (b) we grow huge and since im an early employee i get hella privileges as we become more legit

third option you grow and that attracts the hard pipe hitters who fix up your backwater poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Finster Dexter posted:

So, I'm learning what JSX is for the very first time.

What the poo poo

Oh hey how about we take lovely jarvascript and mix in some lovely xml. :suicide:

I know I should probably read up on it more before I pass judgement but so far I'm not very hyped. I'm about 15 minutes away from just rolling my own jarvascript framework (well, more accurately typescript).

lol if u think that you can roll your own and have it be better than react and also lol if u think you can do any serious project in javascript in 2016 and not use a build system.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Wheany posted:

serious project ... javascript

:confused:

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~
let me share my terrible programmer story: i had a coding exercise for a job interview so i threw together an implementation in java and it was fine

then i was like "i should put together a live demo with a web interface that would look cool"

turned out my idiot spare time vps was actually too tiny to run a jvm so... i translated the code to D, my idiot spare time hobby language of choice, so it could run in 256mb (i was a couple beers in at this point)

i'm really pretty proud i got it functionally perfect but cjs: i didn't get the job because i really should have spent my time documenting and polishing the java version instead

life lessons!

(i do not regret having learned that it is super easy to set up a vibe.d web server though. gently caress a java for any future web projects i take on)

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

~Coxy posted:

latest R# has a thing where it doesn't rebuild projects unless the public interface changes

probably doesn't work for C/C++ solutions, though

it also doesn't help for actual nightly builds or whatever because teamcity has no clue about r#

there might be some optimizations it can do if you're doing literally everything in TC, but if you have some mondo code monolith then you're probably not using those features, you're just having jenkins or TC or w/e call your powershell scripts that call msbuild directly and welp

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Stringent posted:

as far as one language being all things to all people it's swift imo. unfortunately apple has a lot of leftover bad habits that will probably prevent it being adopted outside of apple's sphere.

what leftover bad habits are you thinking of?

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

Usagi-Sauce posted:

let me share my terrible programmer story: i had a coding exercise for a job interview so i threw together an implementation in java and it was fine

then i was like "i should put together a live demo with a web interface that would look cool"

turned out my idiot spare time vps was actually too tiny to run a jvm so... i translated the code to D, my idiot spare time hobby language of choice, so it could run in 256mb (i was a couple beers in at this point)

i'm really pretty proud i got it functionally perfect but cjs: i didn't get the job because i really should have spent my time documenting and polishing the java version instead

life lessons!

(i do not regret having learned that it is super easy to set up a vibe.d web server though. gently caress a java for any future web projects i take on)

at least you didn't get turned down because you couldn't answer their brain teaser question in the third interview after you already passed their code exam

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

so i applied for an open spot on our application architecture team

they had me whiteboard a design for a web application and asked things like why you wouldn't want to write your own forum software, how would you make it scalable, if you could change anything about our product what would you change and how would you pitch it to management

i was able to answer all their questions confidently so hopefully i get off the "fix poo poo" team and onto the "write poo poo" team

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
basically if you are still making GBS threads your pants about how bad jsx looks or something, you don't understand react yet, so just keep working with it, and you'll get how simple and good it is.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Power Ambient posted:

at least you didn't get turned down because you couldn't answer their brain teaser question in the third interview after you already passed their code exam

don't stress about this, if they turn you down after a silly trick/brain teaser you don't want to be working with them

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

asked things like why you wouldn't want to write your own forum software

drat, youve had 10 years of personal experience preparing you for this question

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

fleshweasel posted:

basically if you are still making GBS threads your pants about how bad jsx looks or something, you don't understand react yet, so just keep working with it, and you'll get how simple and good it is.

also you can just not use jsx while still using react if you're having hang ups about sticking your markup in with your code

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Valeyard posted:

drat, youve had 10 years of personal experience preparing you for this question

them: "okay, say i'm a junior developer and I want to write my own forum software for this app"

me: "you shouldn't do that, it's much harder than you think and you'll introduce way too many security issues and performance problems. it's much better to use an off-the-shelf solution such as vBulletin or something else"

them (laughing): "that... that still exists? I haven't seen that in 10 years"

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Lol

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

okay: lol if u think that you can roll your own and have it be better than react and also lol if u think you can do any web "development" in javascript in 2016 and not use a build system.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Luigi Thirty posted:

them (laughing): "that... that still exists? I haven't seen that in 10 years"

i love my dying gay forum

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~

my stepdads beer posted:

don't stress about this, if they turn you down after a silly trick/brain teaser you don't want to be working with them

yeah gently caress that noise

i legit pooched it by turning in code that was less than 1000% shiny & chrome though, it was a teaching job and i can't really fault them for wanting someone who farts textbook code

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~
also re: visual studio chat this is what happened the one time i tried to use vs2015 and i can't believe you can gently caress up a product that you expect anyone anywhere to ever use so badly

https://twitter.com/VonRosceau/status/640536105591422976

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

how did you gently caress up your computer so badly

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my visual studio is insanely good at rendering fonts.

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~

Bloody posted:

how did you gently caress up your computer so badly

i put windows 10 on a marginally high-dpi laptop

it was so bad i am now taking daily pleasure in using debian, hosed up but true

e: this was right after release, i was pretty motivated to not be using loving windows 8 at the time

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Bloody posted:

my visual studio is insanely good at rendering fonts.

same.

also insanely good at crashing if i try to edit assemblyinfo.cs.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Usagi-Sauce posted:

also re: visual studio chat this is what happened the one time i tried to use vs2015 and i can't believe you can gently caress up a product that you expect anyone anywhere to ever use so badly

https://twitter.com/VonRosceau/status/640536105591422976

Who the gently caress is writing software for a 40x25 display in TYOOL 2015?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Zemyla posted:

i'm guessing it's probably some debug output or something as it does talk about opengl stuff.

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~

Zemyla posted:

i was playing with rendering polygons to non-square tilings in software, i think it was a grid of triangles back then

later on it turned into a penrose tiling, it looked like this last time i was working on it:

you do not get to have a very big grid and still see things moving when you're rendering in software and then shoving polygons out in immediate mode and haven't optimised anything

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Usagi-Sauce posted:

e: this was right after release, i was pretty motivated to not be using loving windows 8 at the time

works for me just fine on my very high dpi surface

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

if ur gonna use tuples u might as well just use datatables.

lmao

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

great my ADD kicked in, I saw someone in the grey forums who's writing a DOS MIDI player and visualizer in Watcom C and now I want to autism my way into making a DOS game like I have since 1994

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Usagi-Sauce posted:

i put Microsoft's WIndows 10 on my Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display and it looks fine.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Wow those ads must be really hi res

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

uncurable mlady posted:

it also doesn't help for actual nightly builds or whatever because teamcity has no clue about r#

who cares how long that takes though

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

pokeyman posted:

also you can just not use jsx while still using react if you're having hang ups about sticking your markup in with your code

React is the best way to make a gui, and easily dethroned wpf. Maybe it's not so much react though and the unidirectional flow of information (flux model if you will) pit of success react pushes you into.
Two way databinding is soooo bad

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i should make something with react

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Wheany posted:

i should make something with react

try making a good post!!!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
do i look like some 10x coder?

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

is this the yotj thread now? i haven't been on yopspos for 3 years because I've been busy with college. but now i'm done. hello yospos

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Wheany posted:

do i look like some 10x coder?

log(10x) maybe

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

gently caress SNEEP posted:

is this the yotj thread now? i haven't been on yopspos for 3 years because I've been busy with college. but now i'm done. hello yospos

hi sneep

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Bloody posted:

hi sneep

oh hey. so many gang tags popped up while I was gone. TEK-9's is still my fav

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funroll loops
Feb 6, 2007
CAPSISSTUCK
tps: explaining what 127.0.0.1 is to a "senior" developer