Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

The monarch couldn't do much if they were governing minded, they have no official power as far as I know other than opening parliament and I think signing each government into office. Oh and appointing lords. I mean technically they have all the power because the executive power of the government is granted by the monarch, but they aren't supposed to do anything with it.

The UK is technically a constitutional monarchy, operates like a republic, and practically has an upper house composed of a mixture of retired MPs who were granted seats for their service, people who paid a lot of money to the prime minister to be in the upper house, people whose families have always been part of the upper house, people who are bishops of several major Anglican churches, and people that the prime minister just likes and wants to put into the house.

Technically though none of this is really written down, it just happens. We don't really have a binding constitution over here.

I'm not sure what the proper word for that system is, though clusterfuck is certainly descriptive.

Could a monarch refuse to open parliament if a parliamentary majority were elected on the agenda of "abolish monarchy"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

Could a monarch refuse to open parliament if a parliamentary majority were elected on the agenda of "abolish monarchy"?

In theory I think the monarch can refuse to open parliament because they got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning and don't feel like doing it. They just haven't done that in a few centuries.

Sad Rhino
Aug 23, 2014
The common opinion is that the monarchy would be brought to a rapid end if it the monarch refused to exercise one of his or her rubber-stamping functions. There would be no legal mechanism for this, of course, but the monarch's action or inaction would have destroyed the political settlement under which the current legal system operates. It would be a bit of a free for all in constitutional terms.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

PerpetualSelf posted:

Or non-existant.

Could you post what country you are from so I can link you any number of powerful elites raping children scandals

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp

Serotonin posted:

Lol if you truly believe this.

Byolante posted:

Could you post what country you are from so I can link you any number of powerful elites raping children scandals

Oh so you both admit that it's natural and normal for men to be pedophiles?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

PerpetualSelf posted:

Nobody said that, PerpetualSelf.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

PerpetualSelf posted:

when they are rich, yeah. Seems to come with the territory of unearned wealth

I personally think it's an initiation thing, to demonstrate one's willingness to gently caress the meek and helpless

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

PerpetualSelf posted:

Even if one assumes that that is true it doesn't change the fact that it's wrong to have sex with anyone who cannot give meaningful consent.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

I personally think it's an initiation thing, to demonstrate one's willingness to gently caress the meek and helpless

What is the difference between a rich and a poor person?

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Even if one assumes that that is true it doesn't change the fact that it's wrong to have sex with anyone who cannot give meaningful consent.

I never said that it wasn't.

Exclamation Marx posted:

Nobody said that, PerpetualSelf.

Well it's either that or Old Brits are more pedophile than other people.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
PerpetualSelf is doing a terrible job of trying to explain himself, but at this point I think we can say that the British elite are kind of...distinctively perverted.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

PerpetualSelf posted:

What is the difference between a rich and a poor person?

I never said that it wasn't.

Well it's either that or Old Brits are more pedophile than other people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Children_are_Sacred

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/dutch-paedophile-club-to-fight-their-ban-at-the-european-court-of-human-rights-9622112.html

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/conspiracy-of-silence/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_sexual_abuse_cases

It happens everywhere, its just the dirty linen is being hung out in the UK and Australia currently. More questions should be being asked of the countries where investigations were killed off in dodgy circumstances.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Not seeing a lot of complicity of heads of government in those examples (well except for the Church).

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SedanChair posted:

PerpetualSelf is doing a terrible job of trying to explain himself, but at this point I think we can say that the British elite are kind of...distinctively perverted.

Nah similar cases exist in several countries and institutions. I think it's important to highlight this as no country's authorities are immune to committing or covering up crimes against children and it doesn't help if this is framed as a simply British problem.

SedanChair posted:

Not seeing a lot of complicity of heads of government in those examples (well except for the Church).

I'll just quote this post instead of looking it all up again:

Sharkie posted:

Oh, there's absolutely nothing unique about these revelations. Perhaps the closest is the Casa Pia case in Portugal. Basically, the state-run Casa Pia orphanage was used to provide children to men including television personality Carlos Cruz and diplomat Jorge Ritto, who were both convicted and ended up being sentenced to 6-8 years for child sexual abuse, though Carlos Cruz is still free pending appeal. Secretary for Labor and Training Paulo Pedroso was accused but the charges were dropped. Of course, allegations had been made for decades before anything was done, and Ritto had been recalled from a diplomatic post after being caught with a child in a park in Germany, but charges were never resulted from that incident.

There's the previously-mentioned case of Marc Dutroux in Belgium, where the original judge was removed from the case, and later said:

"Never before in Belgium has an investigating judge at the service of the king been subjected to such pressure. We were told by police that [murder] contracts had been taken out against the magistrates." Connerotte testified that the investigation was seriously hampered by protection of suspects by people in the government. "Rarely has so much energy been spent opposing an inquiry,"

I think that ultimately nothing came of that, but at this point, if you dismiss it out of hand, you're more of an optimist than I am.

There's also the well-documented tendency of UN Peacekeeping forces to regularly increase the rates of child sex trafficking, and private US military contractor DynCorp, involved in child sex trafficking in Afhanistan and Bosnia:

In the late 1990s, two employees, Ben Johnston, a former DynCorp aircraft mechanic, and Kathryn Bolkovac, a U.N. International Police Force monitor, independently alleged that DynCorp employees in Bosnia engaged in sex with minors, and sold them to each other as slaves.Both Johnston and Bolkovac were fired, and Johnston was later placed into protective custody before leaving several days later.

On June 2, 2000, an investigation was launched in the DynCorp hangar at Comanche Base Camp, one of two U.S. bases in Bosnia and Herzegovina, and all DynCorp personnel were detained for questioning.[94] CID spent several weeks investigating and the results appear to support Johnston's allegations. DynCorp had fired five employees for similar illegal activities prior to the charges. Many of the employees accused of sex trafficking were forced to resign under suspicion of illegal activity. However, as of 2014 no one had been prosecuted.

There are countless stories from Hollywood about this, and then there's of course billionaire Jeffrey Epstein:

quote:

Instead of following police recommendation, the prosecutors considered the evidence weak and presented it to a grand jury, an uncommon procedure in non-capital cases. Former chief of Palm Beach police Michael Reiter later wrote to State Attorney Barry Krischer to complain of the state's "highly unusual" conduct and asked him to remove himself from the case.

On June 18, 2010, Epstein's former butler, Alfredo Rodriguez, was sentenced to 18 months in jail for trying to sell a journal that he said recorded Epstein's activities. Special Agent Christina Pryor reviewed the material and agreed it was information "that would have been extremely useful in investigating and prosecuting the case, including names and contact information of material witnesses and additional victims." Epstein allegedly lent girls to powerful people to ingratiate himself with them and also to get possible blackmail information.

I won't continue to derail this Britain-focused thread, but I think that the evidence shows child sexual abuse, and its cover-up by establishment powers, is hardly as rare as we'd like it to be.

Also, look into the Isle of Jersey.

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 16, 2015

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

SedanChair posted:

Real easy example of people in positions of power covering up sexual abuse to protect the existing power structure: Penn State

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I wasn't at all contending that it's unusual for people in positions of power to conceal or ignore abuses. It's just that in this case it happened to go all the way up to the PM.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Byolante posted:

Real easy example of people in positions of power covering up sexual abuse to protect the existing power structure: Penn State

Didn't involve federal level backing though.

Joe Paterno would have been given a life peerage for service in pedophilia in Britain.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SedanChair posted:

I wasn't at all contending that it's unusual for people in positions of power to conceal or ignore abuses. It's just that in this case it happened to go all the way up to the PM.

I just wanted to emphasize that it's not that the British elite are distinctly perverted in a way that other elites aren't, and that this type of criminality and perversion can occur among the elite of many countries and organizations.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Sharkie posted:

I just wanted to emphasize that it's not that the British elite are distinctly perverted in a way that other elites aren't, and that this type of criminality and perversion can occur among the elite of many countries and organizations.

I would have agreed with you until recently. I think they have some mask-wearing sex cult poo poo going on. If it turns out that they were doing human sacrifices I am not sure how I am going to manage to manifest additional surprise.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SedanChair posted:

I would have agreed with you until recently. I think they have some mask-wearing sex cult poo poo going on. If it turns out that they were doing human sacrifices I am not sure how I am going to manage to manifest additional surprise.

Ok, right, I get you. And you're not claiming the point I think it's important to argue against (i.e., "only British/Catholic/etc people do this, systemic child abuse can't happen here"). However, I still think that uh, the difference between the UK and other places is that in the UK it's come to light. But I'm sort of a glass-half-empty person.

I hate thinking about this.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp

Byolante posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Children_are_Sacred

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/dutch-paedophile-club-to-fight-their-ban-at-the-european-court-of-human-rights-9622112.html

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/conspiracy-of-silence/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_sexual_abuse_cases

It happens everywhere, its just the dirty linen is being hung out in the UK and Australia currently. More questions should be being asked of the countries where investigations were killed off in dodgy circumstances.

Isn't Australia just a British Colony?

I was always under the impression that child abuse in the Catholic Church was due to the prohibition placed on having sexual relationships and marrying for Priests.

This stuff seems common. From Afghanistan, to England, to East Asia, and beyond.

It seems to be it is probably been a natural part of human sexuality for many ages. Not that it makes it morally correct. Rape is also a natural part of human sexuality for many ages. But it makes it a lot easier to rationalize and understand. Often people who commit these crimes are made out to be terrible monsters and their action are portrayed as being extremely uncommon. I think this is proving further and further that this is far from the case and our response to this issue must recognize that if we desire to prevent it. It's something we have to think about when it comes to preventing rape that doesn't involve a minor as well.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

PerpetualSelf posted:

Not since 1890

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

PerpetualSelf posted:

I was always under the impression that child abuse in the Catholic Church was due to the prohibition placed on having sexual relationships and marrying for Priests.

This stuff seems common. From Afghanistan, to England, to East Asia, and beyond.

It seems to be it is probably been a natural part of human sexuality for many ages. Not that it makes it morally correct. Rape is also a natural part of human sexuality for many ages. But it makes it a lot easier to rationalize and understand. Often people who commit these crimes are made out to be terrible monsters and their action are portrayed as being extremely uncommon. I think this is proving further and further that this is far from the case and our response to this issue must recognize that if we desire to prevent it. It's something we have to think about when it comes to preventing rape that doesn't involve a minor as well.

:eyepop:

What do you see recognizing child and non-child rape as natural as entailing?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

PerpetualSelf posted:

In the same way the USA or India is

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure what the proper word for that system is, though clusterfuck is certainly descriptive.

The preferred term is omnishambles.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

PerpetualSelf posted:

the abuse in the Catholic Church was due to a culture of Protect the Church and the people involved being important pillars of the community who could not possibly be involved in that. People reported it, they were ignored or belittled or destroyed.

The current big inquiry in Australia is not about who was abusing kids, it is about how the agencies and organisations failed to deal with it. Including some this century long after mandatory reporting was introduced.

It really comes down to the powerful abusing the powerless. They think they can get away with it (and many do and did) because they are powerful, and their victims powerless.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SedanChair posted:

Political power, wealth, and class are still very tied together in the UK. And class isn't just having lots of money either, class has history here, and a lot of that history is rather grounded in the idea of one law for the populace and one law for the elite, not just in practice, but also in actual law.

Certainly in contrast to America I think perhaps that is a significant difference. There is an old, established, and surprisingly continuous culture associated with being part of the political and hereditary elite in the UK, which the wealthy can also become part of. And it's full of old and gross ideas.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 16, 2015

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

KennyTheFish posted:

It really comes down to the powerful abusing the powerless. They think they can get away with it (and many do and did) because they are powerful, and their victims powerless.

This, and the human mind's ability to sexualize and associate pretty much anything with sex. It's 'Natural' in that it is exceedingly easy to gently caress up a human brain, but just because it happens doesn't mean we should ignore it.

Just like with violent psychopaths, we have to first protect society from them, and if possible work to correct the aberration in their thinking that leads them to behave in such a detrimental (to society) fashion.

the Rich and powerful more easily escaping this last bit, obviously

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Plenty of poor child molesters in the world man.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lord Janner is getting away with buggering kids, but only because he's too far gone in dementia to stand trial.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

Political power, wealth, and class are still very tied together in the UK. And class isn't just having lots of money either, class has history here, and a lot of that history is rather grounded in the idea of one law for the populace and one law for the elite, not just in practice, but also in actual law.

Certainly in contrast to America I think perhaps that is a significant difference. There is an old, established, and surprisingly continuous culture associated with being part of the political and hereditary elite in the UK, which the wealthy can also become part of. And it's full of old and gross ideas.

Hey you had you're chance to fix this in 1789, but you were all like, nah lets not cut off the heads of our monarch and wealthy elite, lets just discover two of Saturns moons and burn a lady counterfeit to death instead. Not even one royalty partially behead, I mean what the hell.

But yeah, when it all come out about the abuses in the Catholic church, The UK, and Australia, I was hoping that you would start to see a lot more other countries start serious investigations, as its almost certainly happing in every country to some degree. Possibly some have and just haven't heard about it though I guess.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

dr_rat posted:

Hey you had you're chance to fix this in 1789, but you were all like, nah lets not cut off the heads of our monarch and wealthy elite, lets just discover two of Saturns moons and burn a lady counterfeit to death instead. Not even one royalty partially behead, I mean what the hell.

That's because we already did that in 1651 and then the lame sequel in 1688. Didn't really stick either time. Obviously if the French are doing it we're not having any of it. Turns out that the only people with enough money to kill rich people are other rich people.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

dr_rat posted:

But yeah, when it all come out about the abuses in the Catholic church, The UK, and Australia, I was hoping that you would start to see a lot more other countries start serious investigations, as its almost certainly happing in every country to some degree. Possibly some have and just haven't heard about it though I guess.

I imagine Canada's history with native children is full of buried skeletons about this crap.

Our government doesn't give a poo poo about aboriginals getting murdered now though, so doubt we're going to start digging for stuff any time soon

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Lord Janner gets away with it scott free

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

While that must be awful for the victims if this is a properly sanctioned medical evaluation then I can totally appreciate not hauling someone with a degenerative and non-reversible mental illness who is currently in a position of requiring constant care anyway through a court case. It's a shame that the evidence cannot be evaluated and a verdict as to its truthfulness determined without him undergoing trial though.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
The shame is that no one will be held accountable for both his actions and the failures to stop it, and the consequent cover ups

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Can't they wait til he dies and do a report like they did with Saville? Not the same as real justice obviously but at least victims could be heard.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Can they at least agree that if he's mentally infirm to the point of not being able to be tried for sodomising children (allegedly) then he's probably not fit to be part of the legislature?

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Can't they wait til he dies and do a report like they did with Saville? Not the same as real justice obviously but at least victims could be heard.

The victims can file a civil case for all the good that would do.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

nopantsjack posted:

Can they at least agree that if he's mentally infirm to the point of not being able to be tried for sodomising children (allegedly) then he's probably not fit to be part of the legislature?

If they sacked every lord who was mentally infirm then they'd be none left. Really though, it's very hard for them to be sacked, or incentivized into quitting, it's one of the aspects of lords reform that keeps on getting talked about. I think that if he had been found guilty he'd be out but since he won't he won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I could understand no prison time because somebody is a drooling old gently caress on deaths door, but not even a trial?

• Locked thread