Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Normal brain: wiggle recoil is good

Expanding brain: crosshair spread is good, wiggle recoil is bad

Galaxy brain: all growing recoil is bad

Serious Sam remains one of my favorite shooters because it has absolutely no recoil whatsoever, your minigun is basically a laser beam. This is balanced by having everything use a set spread and the guns that do more damage (the actual laser cannon) fire projectiles instead of being hitscan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

SMH if your gun game doesn't model bullet drop and has a magical "ammunition counter" instead of a text string on how heavy the magazine feels

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

We got pics of the Atari Ouya.

http://mailchi.mp/fe72ea5be6f5/first-look-ataribox-design

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I liked Overwatch because it let me play an FPS game competently even though I can't aim for poo poo

Andrast fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 17, 2017

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Throwing games or just leaving them is very common, anything more creative than that is incredibly limited because of the hero designs.

:sad:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I saw that this was a MailChimp link and got distracted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDnN0PhCmCA

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

What does it do? I remember hearing it wasn't a retrobox for some reason.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I like Overwatch because I got to play it for free for two days.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

What does it do? I remember hearing it wasn't a retrobox for some reason.

That link explains it, but it's supposed to be both I guess.

quote:

As you can guess, those ports suggest modern internal specs. It also means that while we will be delivering classic gaming content, we will also be delivering current gaming content.

I dunno what USB and HDMI has to do with "modern specs," anybody expecting it to use composite is a moron.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Coupon bug dot comCoupon bug dot comCoupon bug dot comCoupon bug dot comCoupon bug dot comCoupon bug dot comCoupon bug dot comCoupon bug dot comCoupon bug dot comCoupon bug dot comCoupon bug dot comCoupon bug dot comCoupon bug dot comCoupon bug dot comCoupon bug dot com!

I love coupon bug dot comI love coupon bug dot comI love coupon bug dot comI love coupon bug dot comI love coupon bug dot comI love coupon bug dot comI love coupon bug dot comI love coupon bug dot com.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Andrast posted:

I liked Overwatch because it let me play an FPS game competently even though I can't aim for poo poo

Which, realtalk, is exactly the reason I don't like it. So many of its abilities stun or otherwise take control away from the player, or just kill a bunch of people in the area with little need for precision.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

SMH if your gun game doesn't model bullet drop and has a magical "ammunition counter" instead of a text string on how heavy the magazine feels

As awful as that Jurassic Park: Trespasser game is, I really liked that the game has absolutely no hud and the only way to know your magazine count is the protagonist's approximation of how many rounds you have left.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mordja posted:

Which, realtalk, is exactly the reason I don't like it. So many of its abilities stun or otherwise take control away from the player, or just kill a bunch of people in the area with little need for precision.

I just meant that I could play non-aim intensive classes like supports and some tanks and still be pretty good at the game.

I also managed to get good at aiming with Zenyatta but was still poo poo with everyone else.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

they call overwatch because you watch me stroll it on over to the trash can

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's a crime that dumb poo poo like ARK keeps getting money thrown at it through a thousand years of early access but nobody has tried to do Trespasser with modern technology.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Coming from Unormal this is fair, because his game has some super OP stuff in it that's never been fixed and even when he tries it's usually in a conditional, very light-handed way that can easily be worked around.

Coming from most gamedevs though this would be laughably dumb.

Oh absolutely. Caves of Qud needs really careful balancing, and while I will always lament the nerf to short blades, it makes sense - there was no reason to pick anything else, ever.

Also I love that they nerfed mass mind by literally coding in another dimension.

The joke is still good too :allears:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

They had me at the clear and vintage look of the black case but lost me at those brown waves out of nowhere. I hate inconsistent design.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CJacobs posted:

As awful as that Jurassic Park: Trespasser game is, I really liked that the game has absolutely no hud and the only way to know your magazine count is the protagonist's approximation of how many rounds you have left.

Realtalk, I kind of like games where if you reload a half-full magazine you throw away the rounds that were in it. That always breaks my obsessive habit of always reloading after firing one shot and always staying topped off.

The one thing I liked about Borderlands 2 was that one character that would continuously build a damage bonus as long as you didn't manually reload, I just unbound the reload key and had to time when I would empty out like a rhythm game

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
That game "Reciever" that came out where you had to manually input every step of reloading a gun was pretty interesting.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Palpek posted:

They had me at the clear and vintage look of the black case but lost me at those brown waves out of nowhere. I hate inconsistent design.

It just looks like an hdmi switch.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Wait, the Ouya still exists and also didn't already come out and fail?

Also it has faux wood paneling. That's the best part.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Snak posted:

it did all of those things, the reference to the ouya wasn't meant to be flattering (it's doesn't actually have anything to do with an ouya, snak).

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh.

What is it, then?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Dig it. Looks like my old SEARS 2600.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
They call it the x box one x because when you see it on your wishlist, you cross it out

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the x box one x has three x's

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

trump signed an executive order saying the playstation 5 and the xbox² have to support mouse and keyboard

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I will never not call the Xbox One the Xbone and the Xbox One X the BoneX

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The best part about the xoboxobox is that it's a palindrome.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Snak posted:

Oh.

What is it, then?

Probably a Steam box in all but name

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

oddium posted:

trump signed an executive order saying the playstation 5 and the xbox² have to support mouse and keyboard

PS4 supports those things so a PS5 would too

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Snak posted:

Oh.

What is it, then?

It's modern Atari (Infogrames) trying to claw it's way back into relevance with the equivalent of an NES Classic that will play more than just classic Atari stuff.

corn in the bible posted:

Probably a Steam box in all but name

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Dva is the biggest example of what tuxedo was talking about, I think. Characters with game changing ults can have them completely shut down by a single character pressing right click, which makes games that she's in (all of them) stagnate.

Snak posted:

That's some sexy fake wood paneling.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Grapplejack posted:

Dva is the biggest example of what tuxedo was talking about, I think. Characters with game changing ults can have them completely shut down by a single character pressing right click, which makes games that she's in (all of them) stagnate.

Kinda. The balance between the power of ults and how easy they are to use, compared to how hard it is to achieve similar results by skillful shooting is another potential issue with the game, but it's one I'm less worried about. Overwatch with more offensive oomph would be the same game, but more fun. Overwatch without powerful ults would be completely unrecognizable.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It also doesn't help that the maps are a series of extremely tight chokepoints (I stopped playing around the first summer event so I can't comment on any of the new maps)

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

This thread is badass

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It annoys me that Xbox One X is almost but not quite an acronym for Xbox.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Grapplejack posted:

It also doesn't help that the maps are a series of extremely tight chokepoints (I stopped playing around the first summer event so I can't comment on any of the new maps)

Most of the new maps are also a series of extremely tight chokepoints.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
fak why did you bring up american gundam without mentioning the important part, that it's piloted by a blue-haired boxer named chibodee crocket who has an entourage of women and is deeply afraid of clowns because he was kidnapped by clowns with guns when he went to a circus performance as a child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

littleorv posted:

This thread is badass
hey man, there's a reason bill and ted's excellent adventure for the nes says 'the way we have treated quebecers is most unexcellent'

• Locked thread