Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ovechkin is out for at least a few games so Washington’s leading goal scorer is now Marcus Johansson with 13 goals. That’s bad!

I think Washington needs to consider selling. I’m not sure if they’re going to re-sign Orlov but he’d probably return a first round pick and maybe a bit more. Jensen could return a nice haul too, he’s a very good player on a cheap contract. And some team (Edmonton) would overpay for Hathaway too because of grit. Gustafsson is another guy who could get a surprisingly high return. Sheary, Johansson, TVR, Eller would all return mid-round picks. Maybe someone will value Mantha.

Maybe they shouldn’t sell everyone because they need a roster for next year but it will be pretty annoying to see them do nothing or buy at the deadline and either miss the playoffs or get curbstomped by BOS/CAR when they do have some decently valuable assets on the trade market.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Feb 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I just looked up Washington's player stats and I never would've guessed who their top 5 goal scorers are after Ovechkin. This roster looks so bad on paper too. Nearly at the end of an era for the Caps I guess.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’m not ready to sell off and tank this year, though I hold no illusions about our playoff chances. Still think as long as there’s a shot at making the playoffs we stay the course. I mean we went toe to toe with the number 1 and number 2 teams in the league and mostly held our own.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I just looked up Washington's player stats and I never would've guessed who their top 5 goal scorers are after Ovechkin. This roster looks so bad on paper too. Nearly at the end of an era for the Caps I guess.

Their forwards are really bad outside of Ovechkin. Kuznetsov, Backstrom, and Oshie are all shells of themselves. Mantha has been a bust. Eller has 1 point in 2023. Sheary and Johansson are fine as third liners but too bad they have to play top 6 minutes because their other players stink.

I think their D and goaltenders are pretty good but too bad like all their D are UFAs.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Pens and Caps have very similar 5v5 xgoals. Not quite the same issues though I guess. The Pens' issues are almost entirely around depth. Crosby and Malkin remain very good, and their top six in general is pretty good. Their bottom six is terrible, and their defense is probably worse than the Caps as well.

I think the Pens will be buyers at the deadline unless they go on a huge slide before then. But they're so constrained by the cap and all the unmoveable players on their roster that I don't know that Hextall will get much done.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Ovechkins dad died so he's probably out for a while.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
The Pens are pretty straightforward - 1. Fix the 3rd line disaster/depth scoring. Jeff Carter/Brock McGinn/Teddy Blueger are all running at about 1 point per 60 5v5. Which wouldn't necessarily be an outright disaster except they are sub 40% goals for with Blueger having sub 30. The sv% is fine so it is 100% from the offensive finishing perspective, they don't have any. However the most used defenseman behind these players is...Brian Dumoulin which leads into point 2. Dumo is an unmitigated disaster on the ice this year and limiting this will dictate how good or poor the Pens results actually are. When on the ice with Blueger the Pens have a 18% goals for split. With Carter or McGinn is 17.5 and 14%.

How Hextall and Sullivan handle those 2 particular issues will go a long way towards potential run or barely making it and dumped in 5.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

rex rabidorum vires posted:

The Pens are pretty straightforward - 1. Fix the 3rd line disaster/depth scoring. Jeff Carter/Brock McGinn/Teddy Blueger are all running at about 1 point per 60 5v5. Which wouldn't necessarily be an outright disaster except they are sub 40% goals for with Blueger having sub 30. The sv% is fine so it is 100% from the offensive finishing perspective, they don't have any. However the most used defenseman behind these players is...Brian Dumoulin which leads into point 2. Dumo is an unmitigated disaster on the ice this year and limiting this will dictate how good or poor the Pens results actually are. When on the ice with Blueger the Pens have a 18% goals for split. With Carter or McGinn is 17.5 and 14%.

How Hextall and Sullivan handle those 2 particular issues will go a long way towards potential run or barely making it and dumped in 5.

Clearly the answer is to take the good part of the Caps and the good part of the Pens and combine them into a single super team called the Pittsburgington Penguipitals.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

drat, think they said he’s had health problems for a while now.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

The Vancouver Canucks currently have the worst penalty kill in NHL history (65.4%) and the second worst save percentage in NHL history (.876) behind only the 95/96 Sharks. This team rules.

I'm a bit surprised the answer to this isn't the Sens expansion year

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I thought the Stars looked pretty good last night and against Tampa. I watched both games because I was curious how they stack up against the best teams in the East. I never felt like they were threatening though. Like, even when they had a lead against Boston late last night, or the PP in overtime, I didn't feel like them winning was imminent. Oettinger is amazing and keeps them in games, and Robertson/Hintz are scary, but the team as a whole doesn't feel like they're on quite the same tier as the better Eastern teams.

Miro looked in peak form last night as well. Robo, Jake, Roope, and Miro are such a loving delight.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Mind_Taker posted:

Their forwards are really bad outside of Ovechkin. Kuznetsov, Backstrom, and Oshie are all shells of themselves.

Yeah it seems like Washington actually made some really solid depth moves on F (Milano/Strome specifically), but that their core outside of Ovi just isn't good enough anymore (or at least this season). Kind of the opposite problem that the Pens are having, interestingly enough.

the real salt:

quote:

“Gaudreau isn’t complaining, either. As difficult as this season has been, he has 50 points in 53 games and is confident the Blue Jackets will flourish once they overcome injuries: Defenseman Zach Werenski, forwards Boone Jenner and Jakub Voracek and others have been sidelined for most of the season.

He’ll face the Devils for the second time this season on Tuesday, though at home, not in front of the Newark critics.

“I guess for this season, they’re playing well this year,” Gaudreau said. “

I mean, what else is he gonna say, but 35-13-5 team with a 21 year old MVP candidate and a top 2 prospect pool probably is going to continue to be good for the foreseeable future.

Although if the Blue Jackets tank enough / get lucky enough to win the the Bedard lottery, the second half of that sentence could easily apply to them so maybe Johnny should work on getting hit by a bus or something

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 15, 2023

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010
Av blanked by Admin request.

T-Bone posted:

Yeah it seems like Washington actually made some really solid depth moves on F (Milano/Strome specifically), but that their core outside of Ovi just isn't good enough anymore (or at least this season). Kind of the opposite problem that the Pens are having, interestingly enough.

the real salt:

I mean, what else is he gonna say, but 35-13-5 team with a 21 year old MVP candidate and a top 2 prospect pool probably is going to continue to be good for the foreseeable future.

Although if the Blue Jackets tank enough / get lucky enough to win the the Bedard lottery, the second half of that sentence could easily apply to them so maybe Johnny should work on getting hit by a bus or something

For what it's worth, Columbus' pool is right behind the Devils at 3 if we're using The Athletic's rankings.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

no I think the real salt is still booing a guy who was never going to sign with you lol

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

no I think the real salt is still booing a guy who was never going to sign with you lol

Devils fans have a massive persecution complex so whenever someone doesn’t sign with them it’s interpreted as some sort of personal slight and a massive indictment of the entire state of New Jersey instead of a reasonable thing like, “guy wanted to play with people he knows” or “likes some people in management.”

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
booing absolutely rules, the only regret is that Devils fans are merely B tier in their persecution complex/spite, need to get to Long Island levels

CBJSprague24 posted:

For what it's worth, Columbus' pool is right behind the Devils at 3 if we're using The Athletic's rankings.

Yeah I think they can actually turn it around reasonably quickly if they get Bedard and Johnson pans out. Probably even if they get one of the other big guys and Johnson pans out.

Aphrodite posted:

hmmm, you're right, should have thrown a parade for him instead

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Speaking of, it's great that tanking is on the menu for another few years.

Celebrini dominating the USHL at age 16 https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=261744

Misa over a PPG in his age 15 season in the OHL https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=262403

too bad that Canada is going to be adding Bedard + these two to their old rear end purely hypothetical international forward group

e: drat didn't know Misa got hosed up by a knee recently, that sucks. Hopefully not out too long.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 15, 2023

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Pretty sure he’s out forever.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

lol i mean we have a right to hate him. he spit in the devils face. even he admitted that.

corn on the cop posted:

it is remarkable how miles wood manages to get worse every year

This is wrong. Wood was way better last year than he was any time in his career before. And he was even good in the first 15 games of this season. Agreed that he's been dogshit since then for whatever reason. He probably should be a scratch.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 15, 2023

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'd boo too if someone chose Ohio over my state but that state in question is NJ so, its a wash.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
After going hard for Gaudreau and settling for Ondrej Palat, feel like the same things going to happen when they settle for like Brock Boeser instead of Timo Meier

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The Dirty Burger posted:

After going hard for Gaudreau and settling for Ondrej Palat, feel like the same things going to happen when they settle for like Brock Boeser instead of Timo Meier

There is no excuse to settle. They have the ammo to get whoever is available.

https://twitter.com/hayyyshayyy/status/1625915276104441857
I agree with this.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Matt Zerella posted:

I'd boo too if someone chose Ohio over my state but that state in question is NJ so, its a wash.

Ohio is awash (in vinyl chloride). Anyway, check out my top 50 US state power rankings:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
If the Sharks just don't like Holtz I could see it. Fitzgerald absolutely should not even think about moving Nemec.

Hard to see the Sharks getting better than Holtz/1st/Casey/B prospect but who knows how desperate teams will get

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

eXXon posted:

Ohio is awash (in vinyl chloride).

And it was all made in North Jersey, the ultimate boo.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

T-Bone posted:

If the Sharks just don't like Holtz I could see it. Fitzgerald absolutely should not even think about moving Nemec.

Hard to see the Sharks getting better than Holtz/1st/Casey/B prospect but who knows how desperate teams will get

The Devils can just resign Graves and have a fine defense even without Nemec going forward. Go win the cup this year.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

mcmagic posted:

The Devils can just resign Graves and have a fine defense even without Nemec going forward. Go win the cup this year.

Disagree. They're good but their core has never even played a playoff game. They're not going to win the Cup this year.

Keeping Nemec and having him playing for them on an ELC gives them a longer window. Trading him now would be like trading Niedermayer in 1992.

There's also no reason to, players like Meier (unextended, one year away from UFA) on 10m QOs don't return the just drafted #2 overall pick, and #2 overalls aren't traded 6 months post draft. There's no precedence for it whatsoever.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

T-Bone posted:

Misa over a PPG in his age 15 season in the OHL https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=262403

e: drat didn't know Misa got hosed up by a knee recently, that sucks. Hopefully not out too long.

I couldn't help but notice you're his teammate on the Saginaw Spirit.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=227234&encode=TRUE

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

You can't just assume that Nemec is going to be one of the top 20 Dmen in NHL history though...

I also agree with you that they should be able to get Meier without trading Nemec too.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The funniest thing about the Gaudreau situation is that if even half the stuff he said at signing was true he just really, really seems to like Columbus for some reason, and now he's playing for the worst team in the league and getting booed by people who felt entitled to his services because of media hype

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Koopa Kid posted:

The funniest thing about the Gaudreau situation is that if even half the stuff he said at signing was true he just really, really seems to like Columbus for some reason, and now he's playing for the worst team in the league and getting booed by people who felt entitled to his services because of media hype

It wasn't just that he wouldn't sign here. It was that it was heavily implicated that he would rather play literally anywhere but jersey and he went and signed with a poo poo tier franchise. IDK why you would be surprised that devils fans didn't like that.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

It would be extremely stupid to deal Nemec now and it won't happen so there is no point. NJ doesn't have to "go for it" this year, they're gonna be going for it over a 5-year period, during which they'll get Hughes and Nemec both on ELC contracts.

They have a handful of excellent prospects, can spare a 1st round pick, and have zero need to part with Hughes or Nemec, who are arguably the two best D prospects in the sport.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

It wasn't just that he wouldn't sign here. It was that it was heavily implicated that he would rather play literally anywhere but jersey and he went and signed with a poo poo tier franchise. IDK why you would be surprised that devils fans didn't like that.

Heavily implicated by who? He was trying to work on a deal with New Jersey and then Columbus offered him more money.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
it is going to suck though if they just don't rate Holtz as an A prospect lol and Meier goes somewhere else

that being said Holtz breaking out next year would also rule

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Koopa Kid posted:

It'd be one thing if he got booed in Calgary. That's fine.

But he got booed in New Jersey. And Long Island.

And then, for some inexplicable reason, Edmonton* and Vancouver. ( I can't remember if he did in Philly or not, though they may realize their own GM is to blame there.)

Bread didn't take that kind of heat for passing on Florida and the Islanders.

e- "*YT or it didn't happen":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XlP-tWHVeQ&t=434s

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 15, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Heavily implicated by who? He was trying to work on a deal with New Jersey and then Columbus offered him more money.

you sure the devils offer was lower? that isn't what i remember hearing.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Zodijackylite posted:

I couldn't help but notice you're his teammate on the Saginaw Spirit.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=227234&encode=TRUE

T-Bone is Koko now

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Devils offer was better, he just liked Columbus

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

T-Bone posted:

Yeah I think they can actually turn it around reasonably quickly if they get Bedard and Johnson pans out. Probably even if they get one of the other big guys and Johnson pans out.

They'd have a young core of Kent Johnson, Cole Sillinger, Kirill Marchenko, Dmitri Voronkov, 2023 1st rounder, and David Jiricek potentially cracking the lineup next year.

My concern with Johnson (and Marchenko) is a sophomore slump. Hopefully, Sillinger can pick it back up if they send him to Cleveland in the post-season and that will translate to year 3. If that can happen, one of KJ/Marchy can avoid a slump (Johnson has shown signs of being potentially elite, but there's some fine-tuning to his game still needed; Marchy has been a scoring machine) and they add Jiricek and Bedard (or Fantilli, etc., which seems fairly certain at this point), they could right the ship quickly.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I remember at the time and everything in I'm finding now had the Devils' offer at 9 per.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Boo whoever you want for any reason. Throw food on them too