Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

There's another Goron on the way to the mine. Of course we'll be chatting him up.

There's only an abandoned mine past this point. That and lots of monsters. In other words, it's dangerous!

I don't know what the bullseyes around Goron City are for. Well, this one makes sense at least.

Oh yeah, finally getting that Stamina Vessel I asked you guys about weeks ago.

Talking to Bargoh again gives us some new prompts. First, let's ask about Yunobo.

Boss said to...

Well, if the Boss sent ya, I have no choice but to cooperate! If you're lookin' for Yunobo, he went to the Abandoned North Mine. It's 'cause Rudania is back again... I bet he's tryin' to help fix up the Boss's back so they can drive back that awful beast, just like always.

If we say we're lost...

I guess if you're not used to this area, it's easy to lose your way... When that happens, try findin' a spot that's high up to scope things out.

Good, if kinda blatantly obvious advice at this point. So who's this guy?

No matter how ya slice it, I'm Bargoh of the Gorons! Ever since that big lizard appeared on Death Mountain, there've been lots of monsters in this area. I'm here to make sure they don't come anywhere near us!

Also there's a shrine. Of course there's a shrine.

For the third shrine in a row, the theme is "burn things".

The door opens when the switch is weighed down. Of course, it's one of those switches that pop back up if we get up. Luckily there's a barrel nearby to weight it down, but how to get it down...

Yep.

I didn't check to see if you could use Stasis on the switches, since sometimes that's a viable option. And of course Fire Arrows trivialize this shrine.

A hint of things to come.

One burn later, and we get a rather nice two-handed weapon.

More generic stuff.

This one is...well, it's metal so...

This releases the ball...

...which gets stuck at that gate.

https://c.mega64.net/botw/u50/038.mp4

The other half's not that interesting. It's really only there so you can watch the ball hit the gear and actually see why the door opens after you drop the ball.

This leads to a key we need to advance.

Once again, there's a switch that needs to be laid down by a barrel to advance. But this time, there's a switch on a platform.

This drops two torches, and funnily enough neither are above the leaves. If you step off the switch and get back on, the torches respawn.

The name of the shrine and remembering what you had to do to get to this part should be enough to give you the answer (besides use Fire Arrows).

Use Magnesis to make the torch swing back and forth.

Time your shot just right...

And your reward is burning. Always burning.

And that's it! Simple, but at least there's a clear progression in learning puzzle concepts, so it beats a lot of other puzzles.

The trip to the abandoned mine is pretty short, just a quick two-minute walk past some Rock Octoroks...

Music: Abandoned North Mine

And here we are!

There's a Goron at the entrance. Maybe he has some clues as to where Yunobo is.

This guy's dialogue is going to be a pain to transcribe. Anyway, on to Yunobo.

Boss.

Well... Then I guess I better tell you wheeeeere Yunobo is!

This place is daaaaangerous, so ya probably shouldn't go lookin' for him.

Leave Yunobo to die, got it. So who are you?

Who, meeee? They call meeeee...Draaaaak! Ever since Divine Beast Vah Rudania showed up, there's a tooooon of lava. It's waaaay too hot now, and there are more monsters around too. Boss keeps waaaatch over this area, but he can only do sooo much...

Where am I anyway?

This is the Abandoned North Mine. Oh, and this is the little ditty we all used to siiiiing as we worked:

Yeah, this is a famous mine, my maaaan. Or it was...until Divine Beast Vah Rudania showed up. Now it's waaaay too hot! There's tons more lava and all kiiiiiinds of monsters out and about. It's so dangerous, we can't dig here anymore!

Good, I can stop writing all those vowels. Anyway, looks like we'll have to venture in to find Yunobo.

This is one of a couple areas within the volcano area that requires two levels of fire guard. Luckily we're decked in armor so the buff stacks and we're good to go.

There's a sledgehammer lying here that will come in handy...

For there is a rather delightful gimmick with this area.

We'll be ignoring this advice. We have to in order to find Yunobo anyway, and using them in general will make this area significantly easier.

https://c.mega64.net/botw/u50/077.mp4

Hitting the lever will move the cannon between two positions (so hitting it again would return it to its original position). Then we put a bomb into the cannon, explode it as normal, and launch an explosive in that direction. It just so happens you can point many of these cannons into enemies and rock clusters.

It's not very intuitive though, or at least it wasn't for me. I didn't figure out the concept until I used the cannon that's required to free Yunobo. Fortunately I won't have that issue today!

This area we blew up also houses another cannon. And now we don't have Lizalfos to interfere with our blowing up more Lizalfos!

https://c.mega64.net/botw/u50/080.mp4

Like so.

Quite a few air vents, so manuevering around this area isn't difficult despite all the little islands surrounded by lava.

The Lizalfos here are more threatening than usual, letting loose plenty of Fire Arrows at you. We can still take fire damage in this gear (for now), so this is something we'd like to avoid. Fortunately, we're coming up to our solution.

And what a solution it is!

This rock holds some valuable ore if we blow it up. The trick is we have to hit it while the cannon is moving.

Might take a couple tries, but nothing too difficult.

The Lizalfos here are Fire-Breath Lizalfos, which breathe fire. There's also ice and lightning-elemental Lizalfos we'll surely encounter later. Anyway, if you're doing armor upgrades these colored tails are worth their weight in gold.

Anyway, our reward!

There is a skull encampment across from us.

Correction: There was a skull encampment across from us.

We just got ice arrows, and there's two fire-breath Lizalfos near us.

https://c.mega64.net/botw/u50/097.mp4

Ice attacks instantly kill fire enemies. We've seen the reverse as well.

Some of these guys will even drop more Fire Arrows, which will likely be handy later.

https://d.mega64.net/botw/u50/099.mp4

This was too glorious not to show off.

This little rock island covers up a vent that gives us easy access to yet another cannon.

Not just any cannon, though. This one is the one we need to free Yunobo.

...Huh.

So who's ready for the least-appropriate voice you'd imagine for a Goron?

https://d.mega64.net/botw/u50/108.mp4

This is Yunobo. Like Sidon, he will be our partner for this stage of the game. Don't let the initial impression fool you, he's far from a coward.

HMMM...

Were you the one who broke through that crag to rescue me, goro? Thanks, brother!

Looking for what I assume to be you.

Oh! So that's it! Boss told you to come find me! Phew, thank goodness. In any case, I sure am glad you saved me, goro!

I came to get some painkillers for Boss, but a magma bomb caused a rock slide, sealing the entrance, goro.

With a big freaking cannon.

That thing is so difficult to use. I thought only Boss could handle it!

Sorry, I've gotta run! But do come by and see the Boss later, OK? He may be gruff, but he always repays a favor. I'm sure there's a reward in it for you. OK then! Good-bye for now, goro!

https://d.mega64.net/botw/u50/129.mp4

Before we check back in, let's loot the place.

Also a Cobble Crusher and Iron Sledgehammer nearby. Decent loot.

And of course Koroks are hiding near a freaking volcano. Why wouldn't they be?

Next time, we'll begin our plan to take down Rudania and maybe regain a memory on the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread