Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Buschmaki posted:

I know no one here is a doctor, but do I have to go to a doctor for staph? I have some gross pimples but started a new job recently and dont have health insurance for like 2 more weeks

How painful are they/angry do they look? You may be ok to wait but staph (and MRSA) can kill you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

just get care immediately. don't gently caress around with staph/strep.

Chansey
Jan 18, 2024

CommonShore posted:

just get care immediately. don't gently caress around with staph/strep.

Yeah this. On top of me, another person from Goon Dojo/MMA Goon Discord who does jiu jitsu was also recently in the hospital for strep related reasons. They're OK now but like, its still not something you want to mess around with.

Just go get a doctor or nurse to look at it and hopefully if need be get prescribed antibiotics. I don't think that'd be outside of most healthcare plans but knowing the US it probably would be based on some stupid flimsy thing.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I just heard a horror story about staph this morning. Buddy got infected with two different strains in his calf. Then the two strains met each other and his leg became pregnant. Even with room for hyperbole guy was messed up.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Green Toad posted:

Yeah this. On top of me, another person from Goon Dojo/MMA Goon Discord who does jiu jitsu was also recently in the hospital for strep related reasons. They're OK now but like, its still not something you want to mess around with.

Just go get a doctor or nurse to look at it and hopefully if need be get prescribed antibiotics. I don't think that'd be outside of most healthcare plans but knowing the US it probably would be based on some stupid flimsy thing.

It's not, but I started a new job so I dont actually have health insurance. gently caress it, I guess that's why we have savings

e: if i do end up having staph should i like, call my gym and tell them?

Buschmaki fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 16, 2024

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Can you go to a wallgreens walk in clinic or whatever? I haven't dealt with US healthcare in over a decade but that was my go-to option in like 2011. Nurse practitioner or whatever instead of a doctor, but who cares same thing they can still give you meds as needed. And at the time I think an apt was like $50ish.

Chansey
Jan 18, 2024

Buschmaki posted:

It's not, but I started a new job so I dont actually have health insurance. gently caress it, I guess that's why we have savings

e: if i do end up having staph should i like, call my gym and tell them?

Staph is something everyone has on them. Its just...a thing. The big problem is when you get an infection on your skin and the staph bacteria acts up. Telling people "hey may need to be on the look out as I caught a staph infection, just be careful" is good practice and no one should really be lovely about it unless you knew you had the infection and still showed up to train like it was no big deal. Its not like you're patient zero for COVID or something you know?

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
There might be someone at your gym who can hook you up. I wouldn't suggest asking individuals for favors directly 'cause that's pretty rude, but if you explain your situation to your coach, there's a decent chance they can point you in the right direction. As an example, there's a doc at my gym who'll fix up people's cauliflower ear as a way to give back and an ortho who will get people fast-tracked for MRIs and surgeries after an injury--compared to that, phoning in a prescription for doxycycline or whatever is trivial.

Either way, as everyone else has said, staph is very much not a "rub some dirt on it and hope it goes away on its own" kind of thing. Figure something out ASAP.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Looks like on antibiotics and off da mats for at least a dang week 😭

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

yeah I can't give any advice on navigating the USA's nightmare healthcare system but I can tell you this with 100% certainty:

In two weeks that staph infection will be much more expensive to treat than it will be if you treat it now.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Has anyone here had a custom rash guard made with images they may or may not own the rights to?

If so any recommendations for companies to go through?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I got one on Amazon with magic card art on it. Came out good IMO. My source file wasn't super high res so it's slightly blurry. I also got one with a John Brown meme on it but out of nowhere a guy from Alabama started training with us (not in the US) so I haven't worn it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08X4QLNVQ

It's cheap enough that if you're not super happy with it, it's not a big loss. They are not going to give even the littlest gently caress about copyright.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Sweet, thanks!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The Mongolian bokh tournament season is in full swing now, with events running on pretty much a daily basis. If you have a car, you could compete every day by driving a couple hours. The psychology seems quite different, where you have a potentially unlimited match volume but you won’t know when in the week/month you’ll see the strongest competition.

Lavell Marshall is putting out some IG stories with a small amount of commentary. Worth watching if you want to see how pros move. Reminder that someone wearing the jangga has won a 128 man tournament.
https://www.instagram.com/stories/americanhangai/3372089257071361554?igsh=emIwbWVkMzlyOHQw

My local teacher, Vincent Tseng, is headed out there in a couple weeks to compete and journal it. He’s been slowly trying to put on some mass, but will probably be the smaller person in every match. We’ve stepped up preparation by going back outside. I can’t quite articulate the feel difference of wrestling on grass. Variable grip, I guess is my first try.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Wow that's cool stuff!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Tournament upcoming? Better Bokh-le down with your training!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Really cool sequence with 4 or 5 attacks in quick succession

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5oEChIB5-y/?igsh=MW15ZnNoN3ltaGM0ag==

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I've been focusing a lot more on submissions lately. I know that seems like, duh, obvious in jiu jitsu. I guess I got it so drilled into my head that beginners should be focusing on escapes and position that I had never put much thought into the end game. I found myself on top without really having a game plan if people didn't gift me their arm. So I've been adding more submissions to my arsenal and, surprise surprise, I'm tapping people out a lot more. I've also been getting a lot of "you were reaaaalllly close on that choke" when I'm not getting a tap. So that's cool, very pleased with that.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hellblazer187 posted:

I've been focusing a lot more on submissions lately. I know that seems like, duh, obvious in jiu jitsu. I guess I got it so drilled into my head that beginners should be focusing on escapes and position that I had never put much thought into the end game. I found myself on top without really having a game plan if people didn't gift me their arm. So I've been adding more submissions to my arsenal and, surprise surprise, I'm tapping people out a lot more. I've also been getting a lot of "you were reaaaalllly close on that choke" when I'm not getting a tap. So that's cool, very pleased with that.

I know exactly what you mean. I spend a lot of time "not bothering" with submissions. I think my level-up into purple belt was when I developed the ability to hunt submissions while focusing on escapes and position.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

The other thing is that when you have attacks even if they don't land it makes the roll more interesting.

Recent addition to my game last night was the north south choke. I don't know why I never tried it before. I was trying to do other things and it just kind of appeared to me in my first roll last night so I took it. And then I was like hey this is good so I did it in all my other rolls.

It does help that I'm the only blue belt in class, and I outweigh everyone. Gives me more chances to work on attacks. I'll try to make it to the bigger open mat with people that can beat me up to stay humble.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hellblazer187 posted:

The other thing is that when you have attacks even if they don't land it makes the roll more interesting.

Recent addition to my game last night was the north south choke. I don't know why I never tried it before. I was trying to do other things and it just kind of appeared to me in my first roll last night so I took it. And then I was like hey this is good so I did it in all my other rolls.

It does help that I'm the only blue belt in class, and I outweigh everyone. Gives me more chances to work on attacks. I'll try to make it to the bigger open mat with people that can beat me up to stay humble.

NS choke is the centre of my top game. I love attacks that don't cause me to risk much positional stability while going for them, and unlike other major top attacks its stability is still good through size disadvantage - if I try to americana someone with a big gut I'm just gonna get rolled over, right? Anyone whose head/neck is so big that the NS becomes tipicanoe (as we say in Canada) presents different problems entirely.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

CommonShore posted:

if I try to americana someone with a big gut I'm just gonna get rolled over, right?

Don't give away all my secrets though.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

CommonShore posted:

if I try to americana someone with a big gut I'm just gonna get rolled over, right?

Not when you go into knee on belly first
:smugdog:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CommonShore posted:

It should be noted that the traditional Americana is a big mans game, it's trivially easy to reverse if you have even the slightest muscle disparity and arent an idiot, however; if you staple their close arm with your shin you should be able to hit an Americana regardless of minor size disparity.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Defenestrategy posted:

It should be noted that the traditional Americana is a big mans game, it's trivially easy to reverse if you have even the slightest muscle disparity and arent an idiot, however; if you staple their close arm with your shin you should be able to hit an Americana regardless of minor size disparity.

Isolating the arms is THE thing that makes the Americana, absolutely. Whether it's stapled, or between your legs, or you're just laying so that your back is shielding it.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

I like to bait the Americana from bottom side control against bigger guys because I understand the mechanics well enough to get a reversal or at least defend it successfully with most people... and then one of my coaches who's 20 pounds lighter than me will finish it anyway, lol

Hellblazer187 posted:

"Position before submission" is a good thing to drum into the heads of white belts, but it's a little oversimplified for anyone beyond that point. Credibly threatening submissions is one of the best ways to advance your position.

The upshot of spending a lot of time on transitions and escapes is that you'll never find yourself in a situation where you think "man, I really wish my escapes were worse". Being confident in your ability to recover makes it much safer to take risks, like going after submissions that might give up a good position...

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I always used to get caught in Americanas before I googled how to defend them and just started hiding my elbow

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
First day back and I'm like, better than I was before I left lmao.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
A teammate of mine has a match coming up with Brian James from 10th Planet ATL and I haven't been able to find many of this guy's matches. Does anyone have a flow grappling account they could check? I don't want to pay $30 to find out there's nothing there either. Where else should I check? I found a couple matches from tournaments in Maine on youtube.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I didnt know we had a 10th planet down here...

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Man, a big guy( well north if six foot, probably around 300lbs) has gotten one stripe on his belt and he just tapped me three times last night.

What guards, sweeps, and back takes can y'all recommend against very big, very aggressive and heavy guys. He's doing a lot of gorilla passes and I can't into a butterfly guard, which is my normal answer. What tends to happen is i get forced into bottom half guard and spend the round failing to fight up from there or maaaaybe turning to turtle (or getting submitted).

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Dont be on bottom. If youre struggling to hit your favorite guard attacks or get to your favorite guard it means youre not sharp enough to hit it on that kind of size disparity not that the move itself isnt great vs the size disparity. I say this assuming youre not doing some rrally funky stuff ive never seen before.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I agree that i shouldn't be on bottom but we're not starting on our feet and he aggressively pursues clamping my feet down and hopping past; what are some responses to that game to seize the initiative?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

and if you end up on the bottom shrimp and frame back all day until you get the exact engagement you need. Don't settle for 40%, 70%, 90% - against someone smaller you'll be able to make up the rest, but against a big guy not so much.

Lately I've been rolling lots with a 2-3 stripe white belt who is 6 inches taller than me, maybe has a 12 inch longer reach, outweighs me by at least 50 lean pounds, and is crazy athletic with great body awareness, so he learns fast. He has been giving me fits too. He wants to roll with me every class (he is one of two people rn who gets to me right at the beginning of roll time, and begs me for that One More Roll if I haven't trained with him when I'm going to pack up), and I spend pretty much the whole roll on the defensive against him, even if I never really feel much in danger of being submitted by anything other than "drat, with that grip he has right now I'm glad that he's not the kind of moron who will just yank on my arm as hard as he can." I spend a lot of time just progressively fighting for my grips and making sure that I optimize every positional detail before I make my moves.

It's just the reality of being older, smaller, and less athletic. As I move into my mid-40s and have officially become an "Advanced" belt in every one of my grappling sports that I do, helping people to learn fast and effectively becomes a major measure of success for me, and the reality of taking a guy and in less than a year helping to get him to where he can be A Big Problem for purple and brown belts, and a safe training partner on top of that, is that you get the pleasure of reaping what you sow, and what we sow is pain.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

Short answer---anything that gets you out from under them ASAP. I don't know what "gorilla pass" means exactly, but butterfly guard can work great against big/strong guys; the trouble is that you'll need to use it to make something happen right away because your margin of error is microscopic when someone that big decides to turn up the pace and intensity. Assuming he's trying to smush you by diving in headfirst, you can use a collar tie with your elbow framing on his pec/shoulder to free your legs, do a hip heist, and steer his head towards the mat more or less at the same time, and then you're in a great position to start chasing the back or attack a front headlock or whatever.

0:56 here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecs_VJTacjw&t=56s

0:46 here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG1FPlTe348&t=46s

Edit, since you posted while I was typing that:

Jack B Nimble posted:

I agree that i shouldn't be on bottom but we're not starting on our feet and he aggressively pursues clamping my feet down and hopping past; what are some responses to that game to seize the initiative?

If he's reaching down to staple your feet, he's also putting himself in the perfect range for an arm drag and probably leaning forward to do it, too.

Nestharken fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 24, 2024

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Sorry, we call a fundamental pass we teach gorilla pass:

(Opponent needs to be on their back, you can either push their shoulders or lift their heels)

You're standing. Grab their feet, pin them to the floor.

Using the pinned feet as the pivot point, jump sideways around the legs.

Drop your shoulder onto their chest and then pull your arms out into side control. Make sure you don't get caught in a triangle.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Btb8dARyDGQ?feature=shared

Edit: fighting his grips for an arm drag sounds good, once he pins and hops it's basically a split second to either accept a bottom position or turn to turtle.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 24, 2024

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Sorry, we call a fundamental pass we teach gorilla pass:

(Opponent needs to be on their back, you can either push their shoulders or lift their heels)

You're standing. Grab their feet, pin them to the floor.

Using the pinned feet as the pivot point, jump sideways around the legs.

Drop your shoulder onto their chest and then pull your arms out into side control. Make sure you don't get caught in a triangle.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Btb8dARyDGQ?feature=shared

Edit: fighting his grips for an arm drag sounds good, once he pins and hops it's basically a split second to either accept a bottom position or turn to turtle.

Sounds like you need to be more proactive in fighting their grip on your feet to prevent this whole chain of misery from happening.

From the vid you posted, opponent is standing to initiate the pass. It sounds like this is all no gi, which means they can't grab your gi pants, so they have to go after your feet/ankles.

Have you thought about shin to shin sweeps into single leg x?

https://youtu.be/HlN8Gs9ddiQ

Maybe this isn't appropriate, but changing the engagement range and hiding your feet could help to frustrate your opponents line of attack.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Acinonyx posted:

A teammate of mine has a match coming up with Brian James from 10th Planet ATL and I haven't been able to find many of this guy's matches. Does anyone have a flow grappling account they could check? I don't want to pay $30 to find out there's nothing there either. Where else should I check? I found a couple matches from tournaments in Maine on youtube.

If he is from 10P Atlanta he will heavily favor leglock attacks and back takes and be great at both. Sean Applegate is an amazing instructor.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Legit Businessman posted:

Sounds like you need to be more proactive in fighting their grip on your feet to prevent this whole chain of misery from happening.

From the vid you posted, opponent is standing to initiate the pass. It sounds like this is all no gi, which means they can't grab your gi pants, so they have to go after your feet/ankles.

Have you thought about shin to shin sweeps into single leg x?

https://youtu.be/HlN8Gs9ddiQ

Maybe this isn't appropriate, but changing the engagement range and hiding your feet could help to frustrate your opponents line of attack.

It's in the gi, so it's a very good grip on the pants. But you're right, I need to hand fight more. I'm probably subconsciously sitting around and letting him work because, until recently, he didn't know anything. Now I just spent an entire round learning he has, in fact, learned a thing or two, and I'm finding I can't dig myself out of a hole I complacently entered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Pron on VHS posted:

If he is from 10P Atlanta he will heavily favor leglock attacks and back takes and be great at both. Sean Applegate is an amazing instructor.

I guess I'm the only one down here that didnt know that theres a 10th planet affiliate :/