Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I can hold onto it if you will have an interest later man love. :)

The rg8 has stock pups. I got it to tosin abasi it up. It has a strap with strap locks too. 260 shipped and it’s yours. I like Apple Pay cash, chase pay, or you can write a check and send a picture so I can scan it into my phone. Potentially could use PayPal as long as it’s under the limit for free transfers. I hate getting nickeled and dimed on top of shipping fees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

its curtains for Kevin posted:

The rg8 has stock pups. I got it to tosin abasi it up. It has a strap with strap locks too. 260 shipped and it’s yours. I like Apple Pay cash, chase pay, or you can write a check and send a picture so I can scan it into my phone. Potentially could use PayPal as long as it’s under the limit for free transfers. I hate getting nickeled and dimed on top of shipping fees.

I PMed you.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Eh, if you get an offer go sell it. I'm fickle with my GAS and never actually pull the trigger.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

I actually am selling a big stack on reverb since I’m moving; take a look at my stock and if there’s something you’re interested I’ll give you a goon discount. :)

https://reverb.com/shop/jacobs-gear-outlet-207

Reverb takes a cut anyway so if we skip that you can just have whatever they would have gotten.

There’s also a white Squier contemporary strat I have that I’ll be posting on there later tonight if those interested you.

That franken-caster looks pretty hot: https://reverb.com/item/14092182-xgp-partscaster-2017-cream

Do you have a case for this thing? Or a gig bag?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I have a serviceable gig bag yeah. It plays good and is pretty neat. I just don’t need a yngwie stack of axes. I got it unfinished from a guy for a good deal but I had to do the hardware woodworking as well as wiring. That’s where the natural flame maple LP came from too, I just ended up liking that project more of the two. Gotta make hard choices :v

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Looks like some goons are getting some cheap axes. Sorry for derailing the thread with liquidation chat!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Any tips on getting F and other barre chords faster? I’m learning a song that’s C Am G F and going from G to F takes freaking forever. My hand goes totally out of position thinking about making the E shape without the index finger.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

skooma512 posted:

Any tips on getting F and other barre chords faster? I’m learning a song that’s C Am G F and going from G to F takes freaking forever. My hand goes totally out of position thinking about making the E shape without the index finger.

I've taken to playing open chords with their barre fingering for exactly this reason. Gives the typically less used fingers a good workout, too.

G->F still sucks though. Best I could suggest is play the G with the same barre form so you can just slide it down, but idk if that's the sound you're going for.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

skooma512 posted:

Practice doing open E without the index finger and make that the new normal.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

skooma512 posted:

There are a million answers and possible suggestions but the reality is that you’ll only become comfortable with it in time. The more time you spend with the difficult chords the more natural they will feel. Don’t worry if you feel like you’re not getting anywhere for a while, that’s normal. Especially with barre chords. Experiment with your tension and wrist/finger positioning. If there’s pain, abort. If it’s comfortable and efficient you’re good to go.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
I'd definitely play the G major as a barre chord and then slide it down to F.

Otherwise, I suggest practicing the difficult chord changes in isolation ("minute changes") until you get faster at them.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Just play the top 4 strings.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Git Gud

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
So I just got my first strat...9 guitars and figured it was probably time to get one. It's a brand new Fender Player series Strat.

I really like the guitar, but one thing I noticed that's driving me insane is I'm getting this weird buzzing/hollowish sound from my G and high E - almost like fret buzz but I really don't think it's fret buzz. Imagine it sounding light very, very faint fret buzz - almost overtone in nature and not actual buzz. It seems to be taking away my sustain compared to the other strings.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what's causing it. It's definitely not the nut, because it happens when I fret all the way up and down the neck. It's not the action since it's only on those two strings and everything is set exactly to Fender spec using a machinist ruler. The truss rod/neck doesn't need to be adjusted since I checked that. I've tried raising up the saddle just for giggles and even at a really high action I'm still getting the sound. I thought maybe it was the pickup height so I've messed with those every way til Tuesday and that's not fixing it. I've also read that sometimes an unlevel bent saddle can cause it but these suckers are definitely making contact with the plate and are pretty drat level. Everything about this drat guitar seems perfectly in spec. The ONLY other thing I'm thinking it could be is some weird burr/groove in the saddle, but it was brand new out of the package so while I suppose it's possible I doubt that it would be that way on two saddles fresh out of the box.

Any ideas on what could be causing this that I haven't tried yet before I haul it off to my local guitar tech? Is this just something strats do and I'm being anal?

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 1, 2018

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Could it be the tremolo springs? If you take off the back panel and "mute" the springs with your hand, do you still get the unwanted noise while playing? Strat-style tremolo systems can cause all sorts of weird resonant sounds; I use a bit of duct tape to hold mine down so they don't rattle as much, but you can also fill the inside of each spring with a slice of foam for a cleaner look.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Would the string trees affect fretted notes?

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Good shout on the trem springs...I'll try that out a little bit later.

I should have mentioned, the overtone I'm hearing is definitely sounding likes it's coming from the bridge area somewhere. So good thought on the trees but I don't think that's the issue.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Did you accidentally find the resonant frequency of your new guitar? It sounds snake oily but I swear it's F# on some guitars and G on others

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Did you accidentally find the resonant frequency of your new guitar? It sounds snake oily but I swear it's F# on some guitars and G on others

It's F# on mine.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

F#/B for me

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I wanted a guitar with p90s and an angled neck pickup and had the money for it, so I got this: https://shop.myrareguitars.com/collections/demo/products/hummingbird

All in all, I like it. There isn't a mark or blemish on the one I got. It sounds great, dark, but still keeping that single coil punch, and a heavy mid range to make it my new go-to rhythm guitar. The pickups don't hum nearly as much as I thought they would, which is a pleasant surprise. It's comfortable to play sitting or standing, although the placement of the neck side strap peg makes the strap bend around the horn. The neck might be the best I've ever played; it's width fits my hands near perfectly and the lack of gloss on the back makes it smooth and comfortable. It also comes with a roller bridge, which should be the default on all trem equipped guitars.

The tremolo and switch placement suck. The trem bar sticks out far enough that there are only a couple inches of clearance on either side of my strumming hand, so I frequently whack one or the other. The tremolo itself feels too light and is incredibly difficult to get the strings back in tune after using it. I'm going to order some locking tuners to help keep the guitar in tune at the pegs, but I'm going to either need to git gud and work at it or get a fixed bridge.

Despite those issues, it's definitely worth the demo price if you're looking for exactly this style of guitar. If you're just looking to burn $450 on a new guitar, though, I'd recommend looking elsewhere.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I need a noise suppressor cause my new amp feedbacks instantly when I stop playing(my old amp did too).Is the ISP decimator still the gold standard for noise suppressors? What do y’all use?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
humbuckers, mostly

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
In all seriousness, this article seems like it covers a decent selection of pros and cons for noise gates:

https://musiccritic.com/equipment/pedals/best-noise-gate-pedal/

My experience with them is that they're pretty simple tools and you don't need to spend a lot to get a quality one.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Krustic posted:

I need a noise suppressor cause my new amp feedbacks instantly when I stop playing(my old amp did too).Is the ISP decimator still the gold standard for noise suppressors? What do y’all use?

I have an NS2 and it works well for what I need as most of my noise stems from using two distortion pedals, but I've always been considering trying an ISP decimator. It's not really a high priority so I've never gotten a new one.

But regardless of what one you choose, make sure you're using it properly:

https://www.rolandcorp.com.au/blog/how-to-use-boss-ns-2-noise-suppressor-in-your-rig

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Thinking about cutting out my habit of usual visual references for learning new scales in favor of finding them myself on the guitar. My fretboard knowledge sucks and it seems like a great easy way to get better at that. Thoughts?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kilometers Davis posted:

Thinking about cutting out my habit of usual visual references for learning new scales in favor of finding them myself on the guitar. My fretboard knowledge sucks and it seems like a great easy way to get better at that. Thoughts?

You mean like "I know E minor now I want to know A minor" and don't want to look up a chart of A minor, and instead figure it out by moving your mental picture of E minor?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Spanish Manlove posted:

You mean like "I know E minor now I want to know A minor" and don't want to look up a chart of A minor, and instead figure it out by moving your mental picture of E minor?

Well what I did last night was find a random pattern I liked to mess around in. Figured out quickly it was a Bb minor scale shape and pieced together the rest of it on the fretboard. It felt much more instructive vs looking at the scale visually and playing it.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I liked to assemble a 'master' scale that shows the default spacings. Since the pattern loops at the top, even in different modes you can just basically pretend you're halfway up the master scale and then you can go up without fear.

For major, it would be like

578 1st string
357 6th string

the 3 is your G, and the frets are ascending in scale order. What's important to know is that each line repeats itself once. 2 lines of 1 3 5, 2 lines of 1 2 4, and 2 lines of 1 3 4.

If you're playing major, you know that you can go up four strings in that pattern and without thinking you know that you are diatonic to anything in that key. It's nice.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Now I’m torn between getting a Beringer ns300 or a decimator 2. I know a guy with a boss ns-2 that I can borrow, if that works for me then I’ll probably buy the beringer since it’s cheap and supposed to be a copy of the boss. I have decimator taste on a beringer budget. I know the decimator would work cause I know another guy with the same amp who uses one and it works very well but they are pricey.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

So I just got my first strat...9 guitars and figured it was probably time to get one. It's a brand new Fender Player series Strat.

I really like the guitar, but one thing I noticed that's driving me insane is I'm getting this weird buzzing/hollowish sound from my G and high E - almost like fret buzz but I really don't think it's fret buzz. Imagine it sounding light very, very faint fret buzz - almost overtone in nature and not actual buzz. It seems to be taking away my sustain compared to the other strings.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what's causing it. It's definitely not the nut, because it happens when I fret all the way up and down the neck. It's not the action since it's only on those two strings and everything is set exactly to Fender spec using a machinist ruler. The truss rod/neck doesn't need to be adjusted since I checked that. I've tried raising up the saddle just for giggles and even at a really high action I'm still getting the sound. I thought maybe it was the pickup height so I've messed with those every way til Tuesday and that's not fixing it. I've also read that sometimes an unlevel bent saddle can cause it but these suckers are definitely making contact with the plate and are pretty drat level. Everything about this drat guitar seems perfectly in spec. The ONLY other thing I'm thinking it could be is some weird burr/groove in the saddle, but it was brand new out of the package so while I suppose it's possible I doubt that it would be that way on two saddles fresh out of the box.

Any ideas on what could be causing this that I haven't tried yet before I haul it off to my local guitar tech? Is this just something strats do and I'm being anal?

Brought it off to my local luthier, he said there is absolutely nothing wrong with it and the sound I'm hearing is just strat. He recommended throwing some 10s on it and being done with it. This is a guy that used to work in the factory in CA so I guess I trust what he says.

Totally weird. Like I originally said, I've never owned a strat so I wasn't used to it I guess. I've just never heard a guitar with that kind of harmonics/overtones to it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Yup, fundamental frequency. Brings down bridges and makes for some badass notes.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
4 guitars out the door and then I buy a squier jag bass from someone for 100 bucks. :shepface:

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
That's still a net -3 guitars.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Brought it off to my local luthier, he said there is absolutely nothing wrong with it and the sound I'm hearing is just strat. He recommended throwing some 10s on it and being done with it. This is a guy that used to work in the factory in CA so I guess I trust what he says.

Totally weird. Like I originally said, I've never owned a strat so I wasn't used to it I guess. I've just never heard a guitar with that kind of harmonics/overtones to it.

My Pacifica does this. Almost sounds like you're verrrrrrry lightly touching a piece of metal to the strings so it kinda has a bewwwwww tone right?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I liked to assemble a 'master' scale that shows the default spacings. Since the pattern loops at the top, even in different modes you can just basically pretend you're halfway up the master scale and then you can go up without fear.

For major, it would be like

578 1st string
357 6th string

the 3 is your G, and the frets are ascending in scale order. What's important to know is that each line repeats itself once. 2 lines of 1 3 5, 2 lines of 1 2 4, and 2 lines of 1 3 4.

If you're playing major, you know that you can go up four strings in that pattern and without thinking you know that you are diatonic to anything in that key. It's nice.

If I’m translating that to my brain right I think that’s pretty close to how I do it.

Krustic posted:

Now I’m torn between getting a Beringer ns300 or a decimator 2. I know a guy with a boss ns-2 that I can borrow, if that works for me then I’ll probably buy the beringer since it’s cheap and supposed to be a copy of the boss. I have decimator taste on a beringer budget. I know the decimator would work cause I know another guy with the same amp who uses one and it works very well but they are pricey.

tbh if you want the decimator I suggest just buying it. Pricy sure but it should last you forever and you’ll likely never want to replace it for an upgrade.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

baka kaba posted:

My Pacifica does this. Almost sounds like you're verrrrrrry lightly touching a piece of metal to the strings so it kinda has a bewwwwww tone right?

Yup! That's a perfect way of describing it. Like it's JUST barely vibrating on a fret. It's very harmonic in nature.

Edit: Changed to 10s and flattened the bridge like he suggested and it's exactly what I thought I was buying. No more noise at all. This guitar now owns.

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 3, 2018

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

That's very interesting, I didn't know that's what a Strat does. I wonder if the Fallout sounds similar with 10's.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

My Strat does it less with 9s than 10s but it’s usually fixable via messing with your setup anyway. A few times mine has started doing it and then quickly stops for mysterious reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
My strat does the same, to be honest. I feel like its a combination of the scale length making high tension and the saddles having a weird relationship with them. And the small radius fretboard. +1 for smaller strings.