Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
beta tested in the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

Valeyard posted:

I have win 7 ult(i hope) on old comouter, how do I upgrade to win 10 pro on new comp where new comp has w10 home

ms dropped anytime upgrade so you have to reinstall windows 10 on the new comp from an iso
you can use your win7 ultimate key to activate it. it will activate as win 10 pro

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

flakeloaf posted:

i see nothing wrong with a security update that adds a message saying "your current os is obsolete install a more secure one that we're actively developing for"

typed on my windows xp laptop from 2006

but that's not what it is

"your current os is obsolete install an advertising platform that doubles as an os with a radically different interface and an app store full of garbage that we're actively developing exciting new advertising oppotunities for"

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

"your current os is obsolete install an advertising platform that doubles as an os with a radically different interface and an app store full of garbage that we're actively developing exciting new advertising oppotunities for"

and in your browser no less - which is supported, and which you just updated for "security" - every single time you open a tab

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

also, your current OS isn't obsolete, it is still supported until 2020

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

pseudorandom name posted:

vista is still "supported" until next year but even microsoft themselves have been releasing applications which don't work on it for the past 3 years

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it is good and just that windows users suffer

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

install windows 7 ultimate onto new computer using the key from your old computer, upgrade to windows 10, (optional) download a copy of the windows 10 iso using that install and then reimage it, call microsoft if you have problems with licensing

AtomD posted:

ms dropped anytime upgrade so you have to reinstall windows 10 on the new comp from an iso
you can use your win7 ultimate key to activate it. it will activate as win 10 pro

Hmm, this is not ideal. But thanks.

Now I'm 99% sure I don't have my key anywhere, and it doesent show me it on dreamspark anymore, so I'm gonna need to run some tool to rip it out l.

Is there any way to authenticate a key before actually doing a clean install?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Dell is loving terrible by the way

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Valeyard posted:

Hmm, this is not ideal. But thanks.

Now I'm 99% sure I don't have my key anywhere, and it doesent show me it on dreamspark anymore, so I'm gonna need to run some tool to rip it out l.

Is there any way to authenticate a key before actually doing a clean install?

you should be able to pull the key but i don't think you can authenticate it short of actually installing

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

anthonypants posted:

install windows 7 ultimate onto new computer using the key from your old computer, upgrade to windows 10, (optional) download a copy of the windows 10 iso using that install and then reimage it, call microsoft if you have problems with licensing

then wipe the drive and do a clean install of 10 because upgrade installs are bad

then run windows update and have it install windows 10 1511 on top

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

treasure bear posted:

then wipe the drive and do a clean install of 10 because upgrade installs are bad

just straight install with the w7u key, newer windows 10 isos (the november 2015 update) will auto-upgrade any windows 7 or 8 key

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Valeyard posted:

lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
:five:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pseudorandom name posted:

just like XP

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Valeyard posted:

should have bought alienware

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I placed that order 2 days ago, got an "acknowledgement email" straight away. Phoned them today to ask where the order confirmation was. I am told they will need to call me back later.

They finally call, and tell me the order didn't go through because of some issue with the bank (when I entered the 3 digit code on back of my card I messed up 1 digit, he tells me now). Of course they didn't email me and tell me this, I had to call them and ask wtf

So the machine I bought was no longer in stock (an outlet refurb) and he was trying to sell me a lower spec new one for five hundred pounds more as the solution

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I can't remember if my Windows license is genuinely genuine

pram
Jun 10, 2001

pram posted:

it is good and just that windows users suffer

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't emember because I haven't had to reinstall Windows in ...7 years? Idk

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
magical jelly bean should be able to pull your windows 7/8 product key if you don't know what it is

treasure bear posted:

then run windows update and have it install windows 10 1511 on top
you should be able to get the 1511 build iso if you use the iso creator from inside of windows 10

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
for anyone who's installed kb3139929 (a security update for internet explorer), the one that sideloads kb3146449 (puts a get windows 10 banner in new tabs) without telling you, does "dism /online /get-packages | findstr 3146449" return any results, and if so can you run "dism /online /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_KB3146449~whatever"

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Cocoa Crispies posted:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

pleasurekevin what piece has fallen off ur windows machine today? this might be u

well, i bought some new RAM.

my computer wasn't booting up at all. if i took the RAM out and put it back in, or swapped the sticks, or just took out one stick, it has a way better chance of booting. however, the diagnostic did not show any problems with the RAM. but fingers crossed it is something with the RAM and replacing it helps.

also I got a proper USB thumb drive to flash the BIOS.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

shitface posted:

and in your browser no less - which is supported, and which you just updated for "security" - every single time you open a tab

apparently it only happens if you go to msn.com or other microsoft owned websites

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

my win7 key was from joining acm. they have since sent me 1e11 emails

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PleasureKevin posted:

well, i bought some new RAM.

my computer wasn't booting up at all. if i took the RAM out and put it back in, or swapped the sticks, or just took out one stick, it has a way better chance of booting. however, the diagnostic did not show any problems with the RAM. but fingers crossed it is something with the RAM and replacing it helps.

also I got a proper USB thumb drive to flash the BIOS.

lmao do u get terror sweats every time a task comes up that u need your computer for? every story is so good

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

lmao do u get terror sweats every time a task comes up that u need your computer for? every story is so good

I just looked up what your user name refers to and holy loving moly

quote:

During a livestreamed presentation at Build, Xbox One Team Partner Development Lead Frank Savage explained in detail how the much discussed ESRAM of the Xbox One works, also mentioning that it can help developers reach the fabled 1080p resolution goal or a 60 frames per second resolution with their games:
1080p OR 60fps. Both at once? IMPOSSIBLE

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
that is one of the ways halo 5 achieves 60 fps. by dynamically lowering the resolution whenever things get too crazy

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Phoenixan posted:

that is one of the ways halo 5 achieves 60 fps. by dynamically lowering the resolution whenever things get too crazy

it also reduces the animation fps of NPCs that are over 20m from the character cheef. down to 15fps or something stupidly noticable so if youre looking at anything thru crosshairs or a scope it looks like a flip book but the grass/leaves that are waving beside the NPC is still going at the right speed. loving weird optimizations they had to do to plop that thing out

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 11, 2016

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
So, considering that the xbone was developed using technology that was two years old when it was developed, why would they do such a thing?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
because its purpose was for streaming poo poo to your tv and not gaming. hence blowing their budget on an info gathering device unsuitable for controlling anything and 8gb of slow ram too.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Citizen Tayne posted:

So, considering that the xbone was developed using technology that was two years old when it was developed, why would they do such a thing?
there is a thread in games that has spent the past 3+ years trying to figure this out but so far all we've managed to do is quote things from neogaf and twitter

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I use a Mac so no.

it's just any time I want to do something with the PC there's hours or days of unforeseeable bull poo poo

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

because its purpose was for streaming poo poo to your tv and not gaming. hence blowing their budget on an info gathering device unsuitable for controlling anything and 8gb of slow ram too.
remember that using the hdmi pass-through showed an appreciable drop in image quality

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
I'm super glad all of my gaming has always been PC ever and I've never owned a console. What a loving you console people get. lol

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

the last console I purchased was a ps2 and I feel like that is pretty much the perfect place to have stopped

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
the ps2 owned yeah

but it also wasn't crammed with social/internet bullshit

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i read someplace nintendo has a neural net recognize and delete hitler mii's :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Phoenixan posted:

the ps2 owned yeah

but it also wasn't crammed with social/internet bullshit

and. Not but, and. Having negligible internet utility was mostly a bonus. The only drag was that people still made games AFTER they 'learned' the bad day-one-patch habits from the PS3 and 360.

• Locked thread