Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

berzerkmonkey posted:

And what, pray tell, would this technique be? I am curious...

You tie a rope to your chair and rig a pulley system so that every time you get up it dumps some of it on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Fearless posted:

I've been working on this for the past little while:

Not quite done yet, but more images can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/IaSC4

Batchre style subtle highlights and subdued yet popping color pallet. Nice.

serious gaylord posted:

*Problems with selling sculpts*

A solution might be to test the consumer's elasticity. If there are really that many people who are buying a mini it might be because the mini is so inexpensive that it's worth it for too many goons. If he raises prices he may still have an overall profit gain even taking the falloff of orders into account. And if he still has lots of orders then he's rich! :v:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

!amicable posted:

I haven't really finished much in a few months, but here's what's kicking around my desk. Almost everything needs more detailing and clean up. And the photos are poo poo.
These are some of the most John Blanche-looking models I've ever seen, and they absolutely rule. Inspired conversions and the exciting paintjobs look fantastic. Love em!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

!amicable posted:

I haven't really finished much in a few months, but here's what's kicking around my desk. Almost everything needs more detailing and clean up. And the photos are poo poo.

"DOPE"

I want to hate them because I typically prefer a muted color pallet, but I just can't; these are pretty cool.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Babe Magnet posted:

You tie a rope to your chair and rig a pulley system so that every time you get up it dumps some of it on you.

That's only half of it. :)

I found that when it's cold the freshly mixed putty is hard and not sticky so I heated it up a bit on the side of a cup of tea (it left a residue). It seemed that hot temperature causes the Green Stuff to flow more freely, become more sticky, have less surface tension as well as cure faster. What I've done the last couple of sessions is have a cup of hot water to dip my tools in when I need to blend the edges between two masses of putty. Afterwards I just smooth the surface out and I don't have to toil away for ages on disappearing the seam lines.

Also, it's conceivable that once you want your putty to set you can dunk it in a cup of hot water and it'll serve the same purpose as one of those lamp oven things.

Might have adverse effects I'm not aware of but it's quite nice so far.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Model pic dump!

pMorghoul.

Titan Gladiator.

Titan Sentry.

Cyclops Savage.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Let's all talk about this guy.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

ghetto wormhole posted:

Let's all talk about this guy.

Alien FaceCrotch based with cheese?

Seriously though, those are crazy cool. And those bright chaosy...things too. I've really been slacking since the start of the year, I blame it on moving around all my 'studio' stuff to make room for a spray booth and have a proper airbrushing setup. Tonight, though, I'll be trying out my Renegade Krome for the first time :)

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
Cross-posting some kitbashed Arco-Flagellants.
I hate the official models.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

Your friends (or us on here) see your awesome models and ask you to make some for us.

Awesome you think, and make some, which then get seen and more people ask you for them.

You then set up a business making models, and since you're a new startup you cant afford
to get anyone else in to do the casting so you do it all yourself.

You get so busy you cant spend anytime sculpting new things.

You get annoyed about the fact you got into this to sculpt models and instead just keep casting the same things.

You sell your moulds and masters to another company and start again somewhere else.

That was pre-Kickstarter. Now people who are good at sculpting and find themselves stuck casting for others can throw their work up on Kickstarter and pull in thousands of dollars. That's precisely why the guy from Trollforged did a Kickstarter - he was sick of casting other peoples' sculpts. Anyone that has good greens to show off, a bit of marketing talent, and common sense can pull in quite a bit of cash for a miniatures line on Kickstarter.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Achmed Jones posted:

That was pre-Kickstarter. Now people who are good at sculpting and find themselves stuck casting for others can throw their work up on Kickstarter and pull in thousands of dollars. That's precisely why the guy from Trollforged did a Kickstarter - he was sick of casting other peoples' sculpts. Anyone that has good greens to show off, a bit of marketing talent, and common sense can pull in quite a bit of cash for a miniatures line on Kickstarter.

Good! Now all I need is several good looking greens, marketing talent and common sense. :smith:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Hellbeard posted:

Good! Now all I need is several good looking greens, marketing talent and common sense. :smith:

Man, your sculpts are rad. The only potential worry I see is that from what I've seen, you do historical military stuff and I'm not sure how big the market is for that. SciFi and (especially) fantasy minis sell really well, but I have no clue about army mans. You can do it! :shobon:

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
Done a little bit of painting the last two days, some red box minis (the knight with the mace I did and posted earlier). Great sculpts. The zombies may need a little work, I did them super fast. Haven't figured out ow I'm going to base them either.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Man, those zombies do look nice.

Cross-posting from the Warmathread, just finished Wishnailer here and I was fairly happy with how he turned out.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

TastyAvocado posted:

Done a little bit of painting the last two days, some red box minis (the knight with the mace I did and posted earlier). Great sculpts. The zombies may need a little work, I did them super fast. Haven't figured out ow I'm going to base them either.

These dudes look so loving tough. Your painting suits them heaps.

Go with a northern wasteland style base. Sand the bases, dark grey base with a really watered down wash of scorched earth. Dry brush up through greys to a slightly off white. Add some slushy snow (gloss varnish mixed with some woodland scenic snow effect)

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
Snow is actually a great idea, I've never done it before and I'll have to order the stuff but it fits the fur cloaks perfectly. I'll give it a shot, thanks.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I'm assembling a Studio McVey mini and jesus christ dude. It's probably the best sculpting/casting and the worst material to work with. Everything is super super brittle, just removing stuff from sprues snapped some pieces, and the pistol was so fragile it fell apart just by touching it basically.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'm looking to sell off all of my Warmachine/Hordes models and some other random hobby stuff (moving and changing factions at the same time). I figured I'd do SA mart first, then bartertown/ebay. What's the best way to handle shipping? A flat $5, or should I charge by weight or what? I just don't want to wind up losing money by shipping metal mans. I haven't done this before. (obviously)

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.

Aranan posted:

I'm looking to sell off all of my Warmachine/Hordes models and some other random hobby stuff (moving and changing factions at the same time). I figured I'd do SA mart first, then bartertown/ebay. What's the best way to handle shipping? A flat $5, or should I charge by weight or what? I just don't want to wind up losing money by shipping metal mans. I haven't done this before. (obviously)

If you are US-based, the USPS offers flat-rate shipping boxes of a couple of sizes - the smallest should fit anything but the largest purchase. That way you also know beforehand how much it costs to ship them, I believe it's about $7?

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
So I'm working on my imperial fists and like the results so far however I want to try and do some of them in brighter colors but with highlights in crevasses in the armor, I've tried some washes I had but they seem to go out side the crevasses. and I basically end up doing the entire model in wash since its the only way I can deal with going out side the edges. Does anyone have any suggestions about what might be a good way to get the result I want? I was thinking of finding a ink like product or should I try a finer brush?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Zhent posted:

If you are US-based, the USPS offers flat-rate shipping boxes of a couple of sizes - the smallest should fit anything but the largest purchase. That way you also know beforehand how much it costs to ship them, I believe it's about $7?

Whoops, yeah I'm US based.

Looking at the USPS website, it seems like the flat rates run between $5.80 and $12.35 for anything I'd be shipping.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Aranan posted:

Whoops, yeah I'm US based.

Looking at the USPS website, it seems like the flat rates run between $5.80 and $12.35 for anything I'd be shipping.

The medium size (the 12.80 one) holds a LOT of stuff. I shipped a 40k Battleforce box in one.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Ezekiel_980 posted:

So I'm working on my imperial fists and like the results so far however I want to try and do some of them in brighter colors but with highlights in crevasses in the armor, I've tried some washes I had but they seem to go out side the crevasses. and I basically end up doing the entire model in wash since its the only way I can deal with going out side the edges. Does anyone have any suggestions about what might be a good way to get the result I want? I was thinking of finding a ink like product or should I try a finer brush?

Looks like you are using a black or dark brown wash. Either are way too dark for your yellow. Maybe try multiple coats of watered down wash in the cracks with a thin brush?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're saying is the problem, but it may be that you just have to do some touch-up work with the yellow. I would be incredibly impressed if you could lay down wash in the crevices on a space marine without getting any at all on the armor plates.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Achmed Jones posted:

Man, your sculpts are rad. The only potential worry I see is that from what I've seen, you do historical military stuff and I'm not sure how big the market is for that. SciFi and (especially) fantasy minis sell really well, but I have no clue about army mans. You can do it! :shobon:

Thanks! I've recently made a slight thematic shift into science fiction.

Here's our dudes all finished:

1:35 planetFaller - a planetary orbital cavalry infantryman.

1:52 cyberpunk character

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Go and get some Cassandora yellow from GW. Its brilliant for Imp Fists.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Hellbeard posted:

Thanks! I've recently made a slight thematic shift into science fiction.

Here's our dudes all finished:

1:35 planetFaller - a planetary orbital cavalry infantryman.
1:52 cyberpunk character

Looking great!
I like the SMG on that planetFall guy, reminds me of the KRISS Vector

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Well your big problem is that you're using the wrong wash. You need a light brown or sepia to do yellow highlighting. I'd recommend Army Painter Quickshade Soft, because its bloody brilliant at doing yellows. The so called "army painter technique" that they pimp in this guide is actually super duper great for doing Imperial Fists. Basically you do what you have to do with any ink or wash, you apply the base coats then dip it in the wash and then reapply the base coat to some of the larger areas. If you don't want to spring for Army Painter you can also use Minwax Polyshades, probably in Pecan or Mission Oak. Regardless of what you use you should blast them down with a coat of Matte Varnish.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Signal posted:

Looking great!
I like the SMG on that planetFall guy, reminds me of the KRISS Vector

Thanks! It was inspired by the KRISS Vector and the XM29 (OICW).

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Achmed Jones posted:

Man, your sculpts are rad. The only potential worry I see is that from what I've seen, you do historical military stuff and I'm not sure how big the market is for that.

Er its big. Historical wargaming is huge.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

TastyAvocado posted:

This is a great paint job on an awesome set of minis. You really brought out their character.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

Ezekiel_980 posted:

When you say "bright colours but with highlights in crevasses", do you mean shading recesses manually, to avoid a full wash of the armour?

It is possible, and you shouldn't need a tiny brush, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're painting a large number of models, as it takes forever. On the plus side, you don't have to correct wash pooling!

I posted these guys (a fun little ebay salvage project) a while back:

The yellow is lined with watered-down VGC beasty brown: brushing it around joints and letting it flow into the little panel details. A carefully applied sepia wash would look much the same...actually it would probably look a lot better, I went a bit overboard with the thinning. :v:

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Crossposted from the Warmahordes thread:

Finished my gunmages today, pretty happy with how they turned out!

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
Meet WIRE MOTHER and PUP2:

The Berlin Brigade thing is a huge pain in the rear end but it looks alright. I'm trying to do dust roostertail-type deals after the little ones but my wife says it looks like there's "goop" coming off the back. Seems ok to me..

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Dear lord, how do I keep my base ballast from being pulled up and sticking to my brush when I'm trying to paint on the covering/sealing layer of glue?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Let it dry before painting on the sealing layer?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

SERPUS posted:

Dear lord, how do I keep my base ballast from being pulled up and sticking to my brush when I'm trying to paint on the covering/sealing layer of glue?

It shouldn't do that if you have glued it down first. It goes:
put glue down
add ballast,
wait for glue to dry,
shake off excess ballast,
add glue to seal,
wait to dry,
paint.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
I know this is kind of a longshot, but what's the best Vallejo ultra opaque to match the old Khemri Brown? I have Heavy Khaki, which I think is the closest but it's really hard to tell between the bottles and the paint swatches sometimes.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

Devlan Mud posted:

I know this is kind of a longshot, but what's the best Vallejo ultra opaque to match the old Khemri Brown? I have Heavy Khaki, which I think is the closest but it's really hard to tell between the bottles and the paint swatches sometimes.

According to their equivalency .pdf, it's "Extra Opaque Heavy Brown".

Unfortunately I don't have a pot of Khemri, or I'd do a quick comparison of paint splodges to check. If it helps, standard VGC Khaki is fairly close to Heavy Brown, but a teensy bit lighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Paper Mac posted:

Meet WIRE MOTHER and PUP2:

The Berlin Brigade thing is a huge pain in the rear end but it looks alright. I'm trying to do dust roostertail-type deals after the little ones but my wife says it looks like there's "goop" coming off the back. Seems ok to me..

Wire Mother is an awesome name.

• Locked thread