Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

sexpig by night posted:

yea basically you can say Zizek is a reactionary guy who tends to conservative views of leftism when he knee-jerks (which he himself seems to agree he is so not much of a slam there) but Current Affairs' beef seems to be he didn't calmly and quietly give a Leftism 101 course to a grown man who claims to be an expert in that stuff as well which is kinda bonkers. What about Zizek makes you think 'this is someone who I expect to give a calm, clear, look at a leftist agenda'?
I do think there's a contemporary phenomenon where you see some public figure, who is on your side, argue with a public figure you hate, and project all the arguments that you would make if you were standing there. Because you've formulated those arguments and mulled over them and gritted your teeth every time that awful douchebag is on the air.

So it's very easy to grit your teeth at Zizek debating someone like Peterson, and going off on weird tangents instead of calmly but forcefully going through Leftism 101. But like you said, Zizek is obviously not that guy and has no obligation to be a walking IWW pamphlet.

The CA people are definitely mad that millions of people are paying some attention to Zizek without becoming disciples of more meat-and-potatoes leftists like Chomsky, or activist-journalists like Klein and Featherstone. Not that I find any of those people boring, but it would be more fruitful to figure out how to make "Big" Dick Wolff a rockstar Elvis of worker co-ops than complain about Zizek's reach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Zizek may be cancelled or whatever but it’s undeniable that’s he’s way funnier than 99% of comedians.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Slanderer posted:

Where did they record that interview? It sounded like it was in a restaurant or something lol

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1184936861778825223
https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1184948448245755905

Looks like it was.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

My guess is "hotel lobby".

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The elevator sign saying that it can't support more than 12 people on the left + the elevator musak that plays part on the background at some points suggests that.

The Kingfish posted:

Did Zizek support intervention in Iraq or Libya?

I wouldn't say he went "oh yeah we should go there and free those people from the tyranny of those rulers" but it's more that during crucial moments where the mainstream press was diverting the rage of ... well, being occupied by the US to "Oh there's just mad about this muslim free speech thing, draw a Mohammed to teach them about liberty" it took too much time for him to go "Wait, why am I going along with this nonsense" for someone who seems to be so vocal about it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hedenius posted:

Zizek may be cancelled or whatever but it’s undeniable that’s he’s way funnier than 99% of comedians.

His comic timing is fantastic

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Zizek just doesn’t take himself very seriously. Which for him stands out because all of his contemporaries take themselves extremely seriously. To have a Maoist philosopher college professor who can crack a joke is a miracle.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ATP_Power posted:

Zizek is one of those people where I can hear his gesticulations. If you've seen him talk once, you can hear his arms wildly flailing even when there's no video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGw0DxiAv2s

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Someone asked about his speech impediment, and he did once point out that his shirt-picking and sniffing (and so on, and so on) is the result of some medical condition for which he is taking medication. So it's actually ableist to criticize Zizek on any issue for any reason, for me, I claim.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
zizek just seems to be loving around literally all the time and thats a pretty solid life goal

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i thought zizek had a stroke

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Halloween Jack posted:

The CA people are definitely mad that millions of people are paying some attention to Zizek without becoming disciples of more meat-and-potatoes leftists like Chomsky, or activist-journalists like Klein and Featherstone. Not that I find any of those people boring, but it would be more fruitful to figure out how to make "Big" Dick Wolff a rockstar Elvis of worker co-ops than complain about Zizek's reach.

richard wolff has a charm similar to bernie not necessarily because he's also a cantankerous old guy but because the way he speaks you can immediately tell he's not trying to bullshit you

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

be the walking IWW pamphlet you want to see in the world

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Phone posted:

i thought zizek had a stroke

He did but he got over it.

Half his face was temporarily paralyzed for a while though and it made it even harder to understand him.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

What was Zizek's point about the last Game of Thrones episode being Actually Good? Just that it revealed how lovely these people really were or something?

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

T-man posted:

be the walking IWW pamphlet you want to see in the world

I don't know if they are official IWW propaganda but I've seen a number of extremely wordy and preachy comics online and I'm curious why almost every webcomic that is even marginally associated with the left has to be so loving bad.

Like nazis have Stone Toss which has these sharp and clever dogwhistles that veer insanely hard to the right done in a very shareable format, while progressive have dozens of dozens of webcomics where the author's surrogate character goes on John Galt length monologues about how you shouldn't assume that somebody in a wheelchair wants you to hold the door open for them.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

What was Zizek's point about the last Game of Thrones episode being Actually Good? Just that it revealed how lovely these people really were or something?

Basically

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

but the good seasons of the show did that.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I don't know if they are official IWW propaganda but I've seen a number of extremely wordy and preachy comics online and I'm curious why almost every webcomic that is even marginally associated with the left has to be so loving bad.

Like nazis have Stone Toss which has these sharp and clever dogwhistles that veer insanely hard to the right done in a very shareable format, while progressive have dozens of dozens of webcomics where the author's surrogate character goes on John Galt length monologues about how you shouldn't assume that somebody in a wheelchair wants you to hold the door open for them.

Oh?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Matt Bors? you know the "I'm very intelligent" meme comic?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/TulsiGabbard/status/1185289626409406464?s=19

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

alien vs predator, whoever wins we lose

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Wowsers

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1185297037220368384

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Kunster posted:

I'm still on the stance that his arguments about military intervention leading to said migrant crisis in the Mediterranean, which is correct, sound a bit empty coming from someone who happily joined the C.Hebdo clown car tour.

his entire philosophy is shitpost and get paid
if at some point you think he's said something deep or philosophically rigorous that means you've fallen for it
It's extremely cool, to me

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Tulsi is better than Hillary, I'll say it

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/AdamParkhomenko/status/1185291296895840256?s=19

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

UP AND ADAM posted:

I'll have you know, Tulsi up until surprisingly recently was opposed to gay rights, which, compared to Hillary Clinton's record is- oh. ...nevermind

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

UP AND ADAM posted:

I mean, with the heavy caveat of I'd like both shot into the sun, yes

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Zizek: Bored Man Get Paid

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
So Tulsi is dive-bombing an extremely lovely candidate who isn't running.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/CoryBooker/status/1185297928195395586?s=19

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
fun way for booker to remind people he exists

Seriously though he hadn’t even crossed my mind this week til now.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Killjoy posted:

fun way for booker to remind people he exists

Seriously though he hadn’t even crossed my mind this week til now.

Who?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

The Kingfish posted:

I think it’s just an unfortunate combination of accent and speech impediment. I wish they would release a video. It’s not the real Zizek experience without getting to see him moving.

zizek is a graceful swan

https://twitter.com/nickusen/status/1118253255195275265?s=20

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
trying to focus on zizek talking while driving was a disaster in the making

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

UP AND ADAM posted:

easily.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
even posting about zizeks speech impediment or his tics while speaking is so old and stupid at this point. just let him be. he's still floating 10 levels above everyone else trying to make a hot take or whatever it's not even comprehensible

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the bad voice makes it difficult to listen to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

the bad voice makes it difficult to listen to him.

only if you are a child, or an idiot, and so on