Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I know M2's president wants to do Boogie Wings justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Willo567 posted:

Does Hamster have the rights to Boogie Wings, or does another company have them?

GMode owns most of that Data East stuff (including Boogie Wings) & just licenses it out , M2 said they were negotiating for it (& Edward Randy) in January 2020 & I found one person saying they had the okay but i can't track down the source idk but seems like ya eventually they'll be the ones to release it

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Talking of G-mode, they announced the feature phone version of Ketsui for Switch. 500 yen again. I think I have some credit left from buying the phone Dai ou jou so I'll pick it up

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/07/g-mode-archives-ketsui-kizuna-jigoku-tachi-dx-announced-for-switch

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Already knew it was coming, but I guess Espgaluda II is the next one (DFK was the other one announced iirc):
https://twitter.com/LiveWire_pr/status/1419933690654728193

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1420585320869896198?s=21

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Looks like Batsugun i.e. incredibly cool. Time to get more JP eshop points.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

I can't stop laughing at Titty-McLumps over there. So hideous.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Cave have announced a second Exa Arcadia release that will almost certainly never be playable by you specifically, unless you someone end up in one of the increasingly few Japanese arcades out there - Aki Katana Exa Label.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0GrGoXoC9g

It'll contain the extra modes from the Xbox 360 port, plus a new EXA mode that you, yes you, will never be able to play.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I wonder how many hundreds of yen this is going to bring in :v:

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I still think the whole Exa-Arcadia thing is just a particularly extreme way for Shou to feed his arcade collecting habit and maybe make some of his costs back.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

The Kins posted:

Cave have announced a second Exa Arcadia release that will almost certainly never be playable by you specifically, unless you someone end up in one of the increasingly few Japanese arcades out there - Aki Katana Exa Label.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0GrGoXoC9g

It'll contain the extra modes from the Xbox 360 port, plus a new EXA mode that you, yes you, will never be able to play.

Did anyone in here actually LIKE Akai Katana? Gameplay wise I was kinda 'meh' on it. Though it really does have one of the better Cave shooter soundtracks I've heard.

Reive
May 21, 2009

I adore akai katana it's up and away one of my favorite hori shmups.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Space invaders invincible collection actually coming to Switch now. It's going to be $60

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/space-invaders-invincible-collection-switch/

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
All that and still no Space Invaders '95 :argh:

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Been playing some Varth, I love that stupid game. Twice as long as it needs to be while you trade an RSI for more bombs.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Magus42 posted:

This is in my cpanel folder in MAME
Huh, does anyone know what those raised split buttons are called? I remember coming across a couple 2 button games back in the day that had those but split into only 2 halves, but they were pretty rare.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
New footage, info and a couple of blog posts for Sol Cresta by PlatinumGames:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5BsIw9fV3E

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Gave up waiting on an English release of the Aleste Collection and grabbed it on Switch off the JP eshop.
Man, the original Aleste doesn't gently caress around - from moment one you pretty much start getting flooded with enemies and bullets. I need to try and get a bit better with the default directional special shot as I'm finding as soon as I time out on any of the other special weapons (I'm in love with the big crescent beams from Weapon 6 at the moment) I rapidly get overwhelmed and die.

I also need to learn not to panic on death, with the constant activity and fairly short invulnerability periods I've found myself chaining deaths together and burning through my remaining lives in moments.

Overall though the game is extremely my poo poo so hopefully I can eventually build myself up to a 1CC of it.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

g.rev is still around and involved in some kind of escape room/adventure game/shmup hybrid coming out next year

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Espgaluda 2 for Switch has been dated for September 9th.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Excellent. I've been playing the Mushihimesama port a lot and I hope this is going to be as good a port.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
https://twitter.com/shmups/status/1429338606754099207

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Speaking of Dezaemon, I hosed around a bit with a Dezaemon 2 save editor recently that has a bunch of saved games from various devs, one of them is this guy who goes by "ES2-Raynex" and he's remaking a game he did on there as "Grand Cross Renovation".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp-ljHDrDG0

The game system is built around draining your ship's shield on purpose so you can get a high "risky" percentage and score major points.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I sure wasn't expecting to see this

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So, a new trailer and some news on the Deathsmiles collection:

- It's got Japanese, English, French, and Spanish language options.

- For the first game (both regular and Mega Black Label versions), there'll be DLC in the form of five characters from their mobile gacha shmup Gothic wa Mahou Otome. They're not playable in Arcade mode. Will be sold as a single set of all five for 2970 yen, which is about €23/$27.

- There'll be a special edition that comes with the Gomaosu characters already included and a soundtrack CD. This will cost 9979 yen (~€77/$90), while the standard version is 5979 yen (~€46/$54).

- I think we knew the release date already, but it's coming on December 16. Physically and digitally for PS4 and Switch, digital only for Xbox One.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Zeether posted:

Speaking of Dezaemon, I hosed around a bit with a Dezaemon 2 save editor recently that has a bunch of saved games from various devs, one of them is this guy who goes by "ES2-Raynex" and he's remaking a game he did on there as "Grand Cross Renovation".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp-ljHDrDG0

The game system is built around draining your ship's shield on purpose so you can get a high "risky" percentage and score major points.

anyone have a download for the demo? links are dead.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Sol Cresta has been dated and priced. December 9th, $39.99/€39.99/¥3,980.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0kkN0cNjHE

They also announced a post-release "Dramatic DLC" that adds a fully-voiced story mode written by Hideki Kamiya. Judging by the released screenshots, it looks like it'll be handled a bit like Raiden 5, with portraits popping up in the sidebars spouting off about all the rear end you're kicking.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Man I hope it's as wonderfully awful as Raiden V

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Reive posted:

anyone have a download for the demo? links are dead.
It died like a few days after, I'd put up a link but I dunno if it would count as :filez:

Probably gonna get a different demo down the line when Raynex has tweaked stuff some more, his twitter shows he's doing some sound effect changes

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Hideki Kamiya - primarily appreciated in the gaming world as a talented writer

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Hat Thoughts posted:

Is this the millenial edition of Doc Brown's "Ronald Reagan? The actor???"

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Hat Thoughts posted:

How much of the writing did he do for Okami and The Wonderful 101? Like if that was him, then yeah, he's definitely a talented writer for a certain sort of style.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Kamiya has writing credits on Viewtiful Joe 2 and the Bayonettas, so it's mostly notable less in that he's a good writer and more in that he's elbowed his way into being personally involved outside of briefly glancing over from Bayo 3 and Project GG, on account of being a huge arcade nerd.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

How much of the writing did he do for Okami and The Wonderful 101? Like if that was him, then yeah, he's definitely a talented writer for a certain sort of style.
Seems unclear 2 me, the English Credits don't list him as anything but "Director" for Okami & thats all Mobygames has listed. Could be Japanese companies being weird about credits but other-Mikami-protege release Phoenix Wright clearly credits Shu Takumi as a writer and director so who knows. Could be a personal choice, could be someone else credited, could be collaborative, unsure.

Personally, impression i've always gotten is that Kamiya's talents as a director r a vry strong sense for interesting/fun mechanical novelties & finding a way to integrate them into a well-polished arcade-system with a genre hook. As opposed 2 someone like Takumi or Suda who has a history of both writing & building systems that work to elevate the writing. Kamiya always seemed 2 me like he was going for the opposite, writing/theming as an engaging way to ground & string along interesting setpieces, but secondary to the setpieces/gameplay.

It makes total sense he'd want to do this though, man has in no way hid his love for old arcade games & tokusatsu stuff, just funny to think of it being sold on name recognition.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Kamiya is, in fact, a bad writer, so I support the idea of being able to save money and play his games minus his writing.

I don't know if he was The Writer on Okami but he absolutely wrote all that inane Issun dialogue.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

I was looking for some shmups on my phone beyond the touhou boss rush game and really wanted to get the danmaku unlimited series but I don't use google services and it wasn't in the amazon store.

I remembered I had batsugun running in lemuroid so I decided to dig through some roms and found an english patched version of ketsui death label for the ds that I hadn't played yet. I'm sure most of you have given it a go but if you haven't, it's awesome. I lost an hour to it.

I'm using an 8bitdo which worked well enough. The only issues I had was that the L2 button crashed the emulator core and I badly wish I could use the joypad instead of the d-pad. It was a hoot even with those issues.

Electric Underground has a pretty good review of it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I don't know if he was The Writer on Okami but he absolutely wrote all that inane Issun dialogue.

in that case he's the best game writer since michael kirkbride

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Crimson Clover getting a physical release on switch - First Press Games

Price isn't shocking apart form the super special edition which is daft. I would live to see somewhere doing a make your own special edition set up where you can maybe just get the game and the little model, but I guess nobody is going to pay for collectable coins then are they?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

drat that figure would go great with my Shooting Game Historica figure collection, but I really can't justify paying that price when it's basically the only thing I want from the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Just getting back in to shmups after a long hiatus and I'm really loving Natsuki Chronicle, it's really scratching that UN Squadron/Axelay/R-Type with less bullshit itch.