Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Making a shot that’s even vaguely symmetrical nowadays gets you on fifty “film-lover!” Twitter accounts.

I noticed this a lot during the Watchmen pilot, lots of easy gimme shots while everything that would require actual creativity to look good was fuckugly. Oh, someone is dramatically approaching a house, let’s put the house symmetrically in frame. The garbage cinematography didn’t help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Exceptional in a number of ways but it's really funny how this kind of thing was just part of movies:

Nowadays it would be proof that the filmmaker really knows their poo poo. This is basically what Wes Anderson movies look like to me.

reminder that before he was a director, Barry Sonnenfeld shot Raising Arizona, Miller's Crossing, and Misery, among others

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LesterGroans posted:

I watched Ricochet the other day, which is just a middling '90s thriller, and was legit blown away by some of the casual shots that filmmakers don't seem to bother with anymore. Like, just throwing a ceiling a fan in front of the light to give it some atmosphere because why the gently caress not?

Location shooting is basically cheating, but seriously - how are movies so much more expensive to make now, but look so much more simulated?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

reminder that before he was a director, Barry Sonnenfeld shot Raising Arizona, Miller's Crossing, and Misery, among others

I mean, a hack director theoretically knows his way around a camera.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 8, 2019

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Blood Simple. too! That shot towards the end of the light pouring in through the bullet holes is wild.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Wes Anderson’s symmetry and insistence that he’s seen a Kubrick suffocates his movies, I will go to my grave on this one.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Wes Anderson’s symmetry and insistence that he’s seen a Kubrick suffocates his movies, I will go to my grave on this one.

Suffocating is the exact word for that.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Wes Anderson’s cinematography belies his classism, and it’s extremely unreasonable but “the aesthetic of fascism” is never far from my thoughts when I see his pictures. Christopher Nolan, by contrast, uses the aesthetic of fascism but drops the petty bourgeois politic for actual fascism.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I really love Rushmore especially now that we’ve seen that Wes Anderson only has about three ideas he’s been remaking and reassembling. There are characters in Rushmore that feel like they’re actively fighting against being in a Wes Anderson film. That they all give up on the genuinely interesting character interactions and give into the twee at the end feels like Anderson’s self fulfilling prophecy.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Pirate Jet posted:

Making a shot that’s even vaguely symmetrical nowadays gets you on fifty “film-lover!” Twitter accounts.

I noticed this a lot during the Watchmen pilot, lots of easy gimme shots while everything that would require actual creativity to look good was fuckugly. Oh, someone is dramatically approaching a house, let’s put the house symmetrically in frame. The garbage cinematography didn’t help.

Yeah, I feel like the art of the utilitarian shot is suffering. Is it a byproduct of digital filmmaking? As in, the amount of CGI and green screen that goes into even seemingly simple shots has led filmmakers to attempt to make these big, flashy images. Like, you're not going to get decisions like putting a ceiling fan in front of the light because the light is so controlled in order to allow the digital after effects to look believable. Certainly the symmetry fetishism is just an obnoxious trend, but I know the type of images you're talking about and they're all hideous.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The only Wes Anderson I’m really in the tank for is Bottle Rocket, which shows little of his signature look, and the childish whimsy is only a small part of the movie. Otherwise it’s just him ripping off Thief, if you’re gonna steal etc.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is he even working on anything now? Disney owning Fox doesn't seem good for his career.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I used to love Wes Anderson but Isle of Dogs was so obnoxious and boring that I started to question everything I ever thought about him. I still feel like Royal Tenenbaums is his best and most moving work though but I definitely see the artifice of his later work as more offputting now than I used to.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is he even working on anything now? Disney owning Fox doesn't seem good for his career.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_French_Dispatch

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Tehran 1979 posted:

What are the top movie choices to introduce somebody to 4K? Finally got the girlfriend to agree to the upgrade and need something good to justify the TV cost.

For DVD the consensus was Matrix, then Planet Earth for Bluray, what's 4K's go to?

Blade Runner 2049
Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse
Mad Max Fury Road
MI: Fallout
Infinity War
Interstellar
Terminator 2
Planet Earth 2

Those are my go to demo movies when i wanna show off my system

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm gonna go all in on UHD once Speed Racer comes out.

:smith:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Royal Tenenbaums is definitely the best Anderson and its definitely thanks to Gene Hackman. This is canon.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I like the stop motion ones. The extra layer of artificiality helps with his inability to show genuine human emotion without affectation in his movies.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 8, 2019

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I have a hard enough time emotionally connecting with animated movies anyway, let alone ones that are as emotionally stiff as Fox and Isle. Neither worked for me at all.

And while Tenenbaums is probably objectively his best movie (one could argue Rushmore, I guess, but it didn't connect for me), The Life Aquatic resonates with me something fierce. He nailed my daddy issues and struggle with narcissism, and I also love Jacques Cousteau.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Royal Tenenbaums is definitely the best Anderson and its definitely thanks to Gene Hackman. This is canon.

caligulamprey posted:

I like the stop motion ones. It helps with his inability to show genuine human emotion without affectation in his movies.

Agreed with both of these.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

feedmyleg posted:

And while Tenenbaums is probably objectively his best movie, The Life Aquatic resonates with me something fierce. He nailed my daddy issues and struggle with narcissism, and I also love Jacques Cousteau.

The scene where he finally confronts the shark and that Sigur Ros song starts playing will never not make me cry.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

It's not just Wes Anderson, it's most of modern american independent cinema. I watched The Farewell today, and almost all of the film it's just these perfectly staged master shots. The film is decent, but it and so many other indie films just look the same. Incredibly bland despite looking "good", no actual life in them. Even the better ones like Moonlight suffer the same thing. It's maddening.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm gonna go all in on UHD once Speed Racer comes out.

:smith:

I think it was Egbert Souse who told me that it was filmed in 1080p digital and therefore can’t come out in 4K even if WB wanted it to.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Electronico6 posted:

It's not just Wes Anderson, it's most of modern american independent cinema. I watched The Farewell today, and almost all of the film it's just these perfectly staged master shots. The film is decent, but it and so many other indie films just look the same. Incredibly bland despite looking "good", no actual life in them. Even the better ones like Moonlight suffer the same thing. It's maddening.

genre cinema is the only true cinema 😈

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Electronico6 posted:

Incredibly bland despite looking "good", no actual life in them.
It's really the ones that think they're making grand, important statements that stick in my craw, whereas someone like Nicolas Winding Refn, Panos Cosmatos, The Wachowski's Speed Racer or even Michael Bay where there really isn't any message, they're just P.T. Barnuming as hard as possible to burn your eyeballs out of your skull and nothing more I'm 100% into.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I have not revisited Rushmore for at least a decade. It spoke to me as a pretentious young twit and I’m afraid it will be as annoying to me now as I must have been then.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Despite not being over the hill with it, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood actually looks like a real movie, with film stars, that actually act. Same thing with Parasite. Like did you know that a wide shot could be used for more than just putting people in the middle of the frame? Bong Joon-Ho knows!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Oh, right.

Egbert Souse posted:

Tag yourself:

(brainstorming notes by Kubrick on the Dr. Strangelove title)

I'm Doctor Strangelove's Secret Uses of Uranus.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Can someone follow Dr Sleep if they’ve never read or seen The Shining?

Why the gently caress haven't you seen the Shining?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Tehran 1979 posted:

What are the top movie choices to introduce somebody to 4K? Finally got the girlfriend to agree to the upgrade and need something good to justify the TV cost.

For DVD the consensus was Matrix, then Planet Earth for Bluray, what's 4K's go to?

Phantom Thread
The Wizard of Oz (4K restoration from 8K 16-bit scan of the 35mm nitrate camera negatives and fine-grain positives)
The Dark Crystal
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Shining
Apocalypse Now
Alien
Hannibal
Blade Runner (though, import the 4-disc UK limited edition which is basically the 3-disc Blu-ray digibook plus the UHD disc compared to the US edition omitting the additional cuts and including DVDs for the supplements)

There's also a few films where the UHD is the only way to see the new remaster/encode:

Predator
Evil Dead 2
The Big Lebowski

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I’m going to a 35mm screening of On e Upon A Time... on Thursday, followed by a Q&A with QT, the DP, and David Heyman (producer). Excited!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

therattle posted:

I’m going to a 35mm screening of On e Upon A Time... on Thursday, followed by a Q&A with QT, the DP, and David Heyman (producer). Excited!

Ask them what they think about Marvel movies

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I just found out that there's a movie about the LAPD's role in the murders of Biggie and Tupac, starring Johnny Depp and Forest Whitaker, that was set to be released last year but was mysteriously pulled. It got shown once at a minor film festival, and had a limited release in Italy, but otherwise there are no plans to make it available ever.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Egbert Souse posted:

lol

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
First official episode of Monster Craze Memoirs is up for patrons. My father and I discuss Caltiki, the Immoral Monster

https://www.patreon.com/posts/love-is-like-31409044

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Phantom Thread
The Wizard of Oz (4K restoration from 8K 16-bit scan of the 35mm nitrate camera negatives and fine-grain positives)
The Dark Crystal
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Shining
Apocalypse Now
Alien
Hannibal
Blade Runner (though, import the 4-disc UK limited edition which is basically the 3-disc Blu-ray digibook plus the UHD disc compared to the US edition omitting the additional cuts and including DVDs for the supplements)

There's also a few films where the UHD is the only way to see the new remaster/encode:

Predator
Evil Dead 2
The Big Lebowski

Seconding Alien, especially if it's a 4k OLED. But please please please use a 4k Blu Ray player and don't steam 4k.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Tehran 1979 posted:

Mad Max: Fury Road

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Egbert Souse posted:

This was probably a joke but I'm legit curious what QT makes of the situation

Dude's a lot kinder to trashy populist stuff than average, while still being in a position to think Disney is on some bullshit, so he might have a pretty interesting take

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Egbert Souse posted:

It's this. Ask them this.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Dude's a lot kinder to trashy populist stuff than average, while still being in a position to think Disney is on some bullshit, so he might have a pretty interesting take

i'm guessing that as an owner/operator of an independent movie theater he probably doesn't feel too warmly about the new limitations on his potential screenings.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Tarantino tried to watch them but they aren’t his thing. He said it in the podcast Feature Presentation with Amy Nicholson

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
It’s hard enough to focus at work on a Friday, but it’s even more difficult knowing you’re getting surgery the next day. Thank god my girlfriend and I are getting Mexican food and watching Doctor Sleep tonight to help keep my mind off things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Disney dicked him out of premiering one of his movies at the Arclight. I’m sure he hates their guts.