Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It’s hard enough to focus at work on a Friday, but it’s even more difficult knowing you’re getting surgery the next day. Thank god my girlfriend and I are getting Mexican food and watching Doctor Sleep tonight to help keep my mind off things.

Hope everything goes well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It’s hard enough to focus at work on a Friday, but it’s even more difficult knowing you’re getting surgery the next day. Thank god my girlfriend and I are getting Mexican food and watching Doctor Sleep tonight to help keep my mind off things.

Yeesh. What for, if you don’t mind saying? Hope it goes well.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Go indulgent, get the tres leches.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of Doctor Sleep, I was contacted to help furnish some props for a scene in a country store back in uh January? That was a interesting project. Lots of NDAs

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

therattle posted:

Yeesh. What for, if you don’t mind saying? Hope it goes well.

Getting my wisdom teeth out, so it’s not immediately life-threatening but it should be done to prevent future issues.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Getting my wisdom teeth out, so it’s not immediately life-threatening but it should be done to prevent future issues.

Oh yeah, I’ve had that done. Not pleasant but not awful. If it bleeds bite down on a teabag. The tannic acid helps stem bleeding, and the pressure where it moulds to the site helps prevent bleeding too. Good luck!

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I watched The Thin Red Line for the first time when I had my wisdom teeth out. I was on Percocet but the drugs made me horribly nauseous. So for a long time I just associated that movie with intense feelings of nausea and vertigo.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Only thing to really worry about post wisdom teeth removal is "dry socket". Im sure your dentist will explain it but basically just be weary of getting anything stuck in the hole left over from the removal as it can cause infection. If you do, dont smoke or vape for awhile obviously.

Otherwise, enjoy that sweet sweet post surgery ice cream diet.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

CPL593H posted:

Why the gently caress haven't you seen the Shining?

My partner hasn’t seen it, and a current release is an easier sell for her than a 40-year-old movie.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

TrixRabbi posted:

I watched The Thin Red Line for the first time when I had my wisdom teeth out. I was on Percocet but the drugs made me horribly nauseous. So for a long time I just associated that movie with intense feelings of nausea and vertigo.

Was it Voodoofly whose first experience with Fire Walk With Me was post-wisdom tooth surgery, hopped up on goofballs?

AccountSupervisor posted:

Only thing to really worry about post wisdom teeth removal is "dry socket". Im sure your dentist will explain it but basically just be weary of getting anything stuck in the hole left over from the removal as it can cause infection. If you do, dont smoke or vape for awhile obviously.

Otherwise, enjoy that sweet sweet post surgery ice cream diet.

I got instant mashed potatoes, cream of mushroom soup, pudding, non-gelatin jello, ice cream, and protein powder, I’m ready to rock and roll.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I watched Dredd after getting my wisdom teeth removed. The vicodin they gave me made me sick and I vomited what was a surprising amount of blood up.

Dredd's p good though

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

RBA Starblade posted:

I watched Dredd after getting my wisdom teeth removed. The vicodin they gave me made me sick and I vomited what was a surprising amount of blood up.

Dredd's p good though

I hope you got to see this in slow motion

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I have to get my wisdom teeth out at some point and have been too much of a coward to schedule something. The idea of being nauseated on pain meds while watching movies might give me the encouragement I need tho.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I’m gonna continue my rewatch of NGE while zonked out on painkillers, and maybe throw in some noir and Forbidden Zone.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Paranoia Agent would be a good follow-up to NGE. Though it's not easily legally available anywhere.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I was lucky enough that the pain meds didn't make me sick. I saw a bunch of asian action films, I think Gen X Cops, Dead or Alive, Fulltime Killers, and maybe Ichi the Killer.

I did stop taking the pain meds a when I still had a couple doses left, because i wasn't in pain and I caught myself actively anticipating being able to take another dose.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CelticPredator posted:

I hope you got to see this in slow motion

Yeah.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Was it Voodoofly whose first experience with Fire Walk With Me was post-wisdom tooth surgery, hopped up on goofballs?

I don't think so, but I don't remember when the first time I saw it was to be honest - and I don't remember much about getting my wisdom teeth out either.

Also, while head-fuckery movies can be strange hopped up on goofballs, I had much more visceral reactions to sappy rom-coms and other big emotional movies when I was on oxycodone recovering from my spinal surgery.

I wept for 15 minutes straight watching Dan in Real Life. Cried so hard it hurt watching Something New. Back in that hazy opioid winter, I would have probably killed you if you spoke a bad word about Jack Black and Kate Winslet in the Holiday.

Edit: If I had to take a shot of dilaudid today, I'd be at home watching Creed on repeat, because I have to know that Donny wasn't a mistake too!

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 8, 2019

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

TrixRabbi posted:

Mad Max: Fury Road

FYI, the majority of UHDs for films made in the last 15 years are all upscaled from 2K. Main exceptions seem to be Sony and Paramount titles.

Like out of the 23 MCU movies, the only one that isn't an upscale on UHD is Black Panther. And GOTG Vol. 2, Infinity War, and Endgame were all shot in 8K, but still given 2K DIs.

Good list here:
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=270798

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Egbert Souse posted:

The Wizard of Oz (4K restoration from 8K 16-bit scan of the 35mm nitrate camera negatives and fine-grain positives)

2001: A Space Odyssey
Yea I've heard WoO is a real solid choice, as close as you can get to being an Old Hollywood filmgoer and seeing that Technicolor pop for the first time.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

You're going to be so drugged up you won't even know what planet you're on. Everyone makes having your wisdom teeth out sound like a horrific painful ordeal but it's all pretty routine. I didn't have any pain and I actually went out with my friends the same night. You might be off soilds for a few days though.

TrixRabbi posted:

Something something A Clockwork Orange. Anyway the few times I've had to take percocets for medical poo poo they just knocked me right the gently caress out.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I have no memory of this but apparently right as I was coming to from my wisdom teeth removal I immediately started trying to give the surgeon and nurses high fives for a job well done.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I just watched telenovelas when I had my wisdom teeth out. Also had the bright idea that since I couldn’t have solid foods, I’d just put a hot dog in the blender and drink that. Don’t put a hot dog in the blender.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Voodoofly posted:

I don't think so, but I don't remember when the first time I saw it was to be honest - and I don't remember much about getting my wisdom teeth out either.

It happened to some CineD regular, I was probably getting my wires crossed with your Bring It On story.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Yeah I mostly just slept post-wisdom teeth recovery. But I know I also watched Grizzly Man for the first time and I can't remember what else. I didn't have Letterboxd then so I can't check either.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I'm one of those mutants who doesn't have wisdom teeth or doesn't need them pulled or whatever, y'all make me feel like I missed out.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CPL593H posted:

You're going to be so drugged up you won't even know what planet you're on. Everyone makes having your wisdom teeth out sound like a horrific painful ordeal but it's all pretty routine. I didn't have any pain and I actually went out with my friends the same night. You might be off soilds for a few days though.

I remember and felt everything and the Dr was a huge dick to me and I never went back.

It put me off going to dentists for like 8 years.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

It sucked.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It definitely fueled my fear for Alien Abductions afterwards. I felt like Travis from Fire in the Sky lol

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CPL593H posted:

Yeah, same here. I was dreading it but it really wasn’t so bad.

Have stopped Dolemite halfway through to go to bed (v tired) but will finish tomorrow. We are really enjoying it!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

It definitely fueled my fear for Alien Abductions afterwards. I felt like Travis from Fire in the Sky lol

Funny coincidence: the commercial for Fire in the Sky terrified me as a kid and this is my first time learning that the main character's name is Travis, which is my actual name. I'm super glad I didn't know that when I was a kid it probably would have freaked me out even more.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Flying Zamboni posted:

I have no memory of this but apparently right as I was coming to from my wisdom teeth removal I immediately started trying to give the surgeon and nurses high fives for a job well done.

Apparently I did the following things when my sister picked me up:

-I said "It's a good thing you came and got me because my mother's at work and I have no idea how I would have gotten home."
-Then I started touching my face to see if there were any injuries and yelled "Oh no! My meal ticket!".
-I said "I'm on more drugs than Rick James." and started singing Super Freak.
-I tilted my head near the side of the chair and screamed because I thought I was falling.

I remembered doing the latter two of these.

::scene missing::

She was trying to put gauze in my mouth and I kept apologizing for all the blood and then she was getting irritated and saying it was fine but she needed me to stop talking so she could put the gauze in there and I told her to put a plastic bag over my pillow so I wouldn't get blood on it. I also remember they gave me two valiums a few days before and told me to take one before I went in and I realized later it wasn't necessary it was just in case I was nervous. So I did take it about half an hour before I left and just before I got out of the car I vividly remember saying to my sister "I don't know why they told me to take this is didn't do anything.". Then I stepped one foot out of the car and the ground felt like jelly.

CelticPredator posted:

I remember and felt everything and the Dr was a huge dick to me and I never went back.

It put me off going to dentists for like 8 years.

I was 18 and my mother had this baller rear end insurance because she worked for Verizon which I got to use so I got the premium service.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 8, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
A friend of mine was on his mother's insurance (public school teacher) when he got his pulled, and they wouldn't cover general anaesthetic, only local, so he was conscious during the entire operation.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

A friend of mine was on his mother's insurance (public school teacher) when he got his pulled, and they wouldn't cover general anaesthetic, only local, so he was conscious during the entire operation.

That’s not so crazy, I was offered the option. I think general is only really advised if the teeth are impacted.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

therattle posted:

That’s not so crazy, I was offered the option. I think general is only really advised if the teeth are impacted.

I'd prefer general for even a simple filling.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I had a similar situation. 3 teeth that were absolutely fine, but 1 was mostly hidden in my gums. The dentist said it was a risk for infections, because it was harder to clean. So it was better to deal with it in advance, then have one terrible, terrible week in the future.

I had the right side done first. Lightning fast, about a minute for each teeth. It took longer for the local anesthetics to set in before! Didn’t even need the prescribed painkillers afterwards. The special mouthwash (twice a day) was pretty horrible though, since it totally numbed your tastebuds.

Two weeks afterwards it was time for the left side, which contained the hiding wisdom tooth. It took 15 minutes. They had to cut it in several pieces to get it out. I had a bruise on my chin (visible, not painful) for a week from the sheer force they used with their hands. The painkillers were nice for a day or two, although they weren’t really heavy stuff.

I guess it helps that in the Netherlands you get your wisdom teeth pulled in the hospital by pros instead of having to rely on a random dentist/clinic with whatever sedations they have. It was nothing like those YouTube videos where someone is high from laughing gas in someone’s car.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 8, 2019

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I went under with anesthesia for my wisdom tooth surgery and they took out all four in one go. My cheeks swelled up for a week after.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Guy A. Person posted:

Funny coincidence: the commercial for Fire in the Sky terrified me as a kid and this is my first time learning that the main character's name is Travis, which is my actual name. I'm super glad I didn't know that when I was a kid it probably would have freaked me out even more.

Based on a true story too. Travis Walton.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

That's the other thing, if they're putting you under, they take out all of them in one go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

You aren't my cousin in Portland, are you?