Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, is just as soon use cheaper bulk paints but honestly, I just haven't found any that fit the bill as well as the purpose-made model paints. I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about various types of acrylics, but so far, everything I've tried just doesn't stand up to those precious bottles of liquid gold.

If anyone has any specific brands/types to recommend, I'd happily try them out. :)

I've had good luck with DecoArt Americana. It's not gloopy like many craft paints. While that can mean multiple coats, that's better than it going on as thick as house paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Not strictly wargaming related, but this guy's buildings are awesome

LlamaTrauma
Jan 12, 2005

Well here I am
Drunk in Heaven
Kinda seems redundant
Anyone have good resources on painting crystals? Mine look so... flat. I've seen lots of good pictures via google image search and pinterest and such, but no one actually sharing their secrets.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I love me some golden high flow acrylics, but those are more an airbrush thing and they aren't too much cheaper than model paints unless you get them in bulk. Some student grade art paint thinned down with airbrush medium and water might do what you want, it's pretty good quality stuff and comes in massive tubes.

Something like: http://www.utrechtart.com/Liquitex-Basics-Acrylic-Paint--Mars-Black-MP-00717-016-i1001102.utrecht
is a reasonable quality paint for a fraction of model paint prices(~1/12 the price per oz on sale here, and 50% off isn't too uncommon a sale price), but significantly thicker than model paint. Some thinning will most likely be required, but for fairly low detail areas like stone I doubt you'd have too many problems using this.

Edit: On second thought, I don't know how well this will work. Out of the tube it is just thick enough to hold brush strokes slightly, and can be brushed on fairly thin. I don't know how well it thins, though, as I haven't used it on anything model related.

I haven't personally worked with Golden Fluid acrylics, but supposedly they're good and I think people have used them on models about the same as normal model paints. It looks like a 1oz bottle is a little more than 2/3 the price per oz compared to model paint. However, you can get it in much larger quantities. The 8 oz bottle is about the third the price of vallejo model paints.
http://www.utrechtart.com/Golden-Fluid-Acrylic-Paint--Bone-Black-MP-00638-015-i1000452.utrecht

Basically: Some options if you want a step up from craft paints but want it cheaper than model paint.

If you go buying art paints, do make sure you pay attention to prices. It's not going to impact the browns and greys and blacks, but some of the colors are going to be much more expensive because they're pigmented with ground up unicorn horns or cadmium or something.

Felime fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 22, 2017

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I dunno, in my opinion the best way to reduce the cost of hobby paints is to only buy the colors you're going to use.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

LlamaTrauma posted:

Anyone have good resources on painting crystals? Mine look so... flat. I've seen lots of good pictures via google image search and pinterest and such, but no one actually sharing their secrets.
Last bunch of crystals I did worked out alright, they're simply a few layers of GW Technical Blood for the Blood God over a silver base. Probably not the effect you're going for though.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
In order to really get the illusion of depth, what you need is a strong brightness gradient along each of the facets of the crystal. Those gradients need to be in opposite directions on adjacent facets.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Zark the Damned posted:

Last bunch of crystals I did worked out alright, they're simply a few layers of GW Technical Blood for the Blood God over a silver base. Probably not the effect you're going for though.

They look nothing like crystals, my first reaction was "is that a red metallic?". But that's exactly the effect and paint I was gonna use for an armor, so thanks for confirming that it works as I imagined.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Pierzak posted:

They look nothing like crystals, my first reaction was "is that a red metallic?". But that's exactly the effect and paint I was gonna use for an armor, so thanks for confirming that it works as I imagined.

I think you would get more of the "crystal effect" you have in mind if you did that, but then also boldly outlined the edges.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Pierzak posted:

Yeah I was going for more of a metal mineral approach like this instead of the usual transparent gem effect people do for their big crystals. I think they worked alright, they're supposed to be weird formations generated by magic anyway :)

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

LlamaTrauma posted:

Do you need to paint them, or can you craft them from scratch? These look pretty good to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42UZ8WpJO-M

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Got my hands on some Milliput and made some sandbag fortifications! Waiting for the weather to clear up so I can prime them.

I'm pretty happy with the result. It's not perfect (the bags aren't as consistent as I'd like), but for a first go with the material, I'm satisfied.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Nice! I need to get some milliput for some roads.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Pierzak posted:

Buy Tamiya Clear Red instead of GW paint, you and your wallet will be glad you did.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Ilor posted:

Nice! I need to get some milliput for some roads.

You don't need milliput for that, just get some pre-mixed spackle. Way better for terrain features like roads - Easier to work with and cheaper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmyUr-AUCUs

One of the methods he shows does use milliput, but I find that totally unnecessary unless you're using cardboard to base them, in which case it will prevent warping.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
That was the video I was using as a foundation. I liked the milliput version the best.

But then again, I like the caulk-based flexible roads too. Decisions, decisions...

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I bought and constructed a few of the papercraft models from DriveThruRPG and I'm super impressed:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/2985/Dave-Graffam-Models

You can see them around the periphery here:

There's a longhouse, coach-house, church and hovel there - and at a dollar a shot they're great value. I printed them in some thick card and took me an afternoon to do all four. They need basing and a little paint touch-up but I can hardly complain.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I've been miniature wargaming off and on since I was a teen, but never really put much ambition into making terrain. I've typically just played on vinyl mats or tabletops with random household items for terrain. Lately I've been making a lot of terrain. Last night I looked over my table, and thought for the first time, "you know, this is actually pretty good".

Feels good man. :shobon:

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Posted this in the Death thread, but they were more interested in replying to trolls c/p from the Bolter and chainsword forum.

Have some kitchen paper rolls, glue and IKEA plants

Not a viking posted:

IKEA plants into jungle terrain

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Those are plastic plants, right?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Geisladisk posted:

Those are plastic plants, right?

Yeah, I can't believe I hadn't thought of it. IKEA sells a bunch of fairly realistic looking small plants, I've always looked at them and thought "what's the point" due to the fact that they're not exotic or interesting at all

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

My partner will get really suspicious when the next time she suggests going shopping at IKEA is met with enthusiasm.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Yeah, you can get sheets of aquarium plants for a few quid on Amazon and eBay that do well for coverage.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Not a viking posted:

Posted this in the Death thread, but they were more interested in replying to trolls c/p from the Bolter and chainsword forum.

Have some kitchen paper rolls, glue and IKEA plants

These are rad. Nice MO too.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Sir Teabag posted:

These are rad. Nice MO too.

Thanks!

I'm the CA player though :smith:

Where I found the recipe for the trees: https://youtu.be/bJ-ZvGMnTIM

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I've generally heard that plastic plants look better painted up but they hardly look bad without.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

I did paint the not-green colors.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Apologies if this is a bit of a basic question.

I've just finished assembling an MDF building and was wondering about sealing before painting to prevent warping. I did a couple of these kits a few years ago ( from the excellent Rorkes Drift set by Warlord Games) and didn't bother with this step and went straight to the painting. I didn't realise quite how thirsty this MDF is and I really had to dump a ton of paint onto them. They've noticeably warped since then.

I've asked various gaming buddies and everyone seems to have a slightly different answer "use hairspray", "spray varnish obviously", "water down some PVA and slap that poo poo on", etc.

You guys seem to know your stuff, so what do you reckon?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
My amateur opinion is buy a cheapish spray to undercoat and then slap on cheap craft paint for the base colours. Keep the spray undercoat light to avoid filling details.

If you don't prime/seal it will indeed drink paint.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
This is my first piece of terrain I built that was more than painting styrofoam that I actually like. Any suggestions (particularly for the water) would be welcome.

I see now that I should've filled some of the cracks better. :doh:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

BeigeJacket posted:

Apologies if this is a bit of a basic question.

I've just finished assembling an MDF building and was wondering about sealing before painting to prevent warping. I did a couple of these kits a few years ago ( from the excellent Rorkes Drift set by Warlord Games) and didn't bother with this step and went straight to the painting. I didn't realise quite how thirsty this MDF is and I really had to dump a ton of paint onto them. They've noticeably warped since then.

I've asked various gaming buddies and everyone seems to have a slightly different answer "use hairspray", "spray varnish obviously", "water down some PVA and slap that poo poo on", etc.

You guys seem to know your stuff, so what do you reckon?

Watered down PVA gets my vote.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Question: I see a lot of UK folks talking about using "3mm blue foam" for terrain, like this:

Do we have that in the US? The closest thing I can find seems to be XPS Foam, sold in 2 inch thick sheets for housing insulation. "Blue foam" is just not a thing we have here, but maybe its called something else in the US?

Any good substitutes?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Not from the states but in Australia we just use the insulation foam as you mentioned

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

ExtraNoise posted:

Question: I see a lot of UK folks talking about using "3mm blue foam" for terrain, like this:

Do we have that in the US? The closest thing I can find seems to be XPS Foam, sold in 2 inch thick sheets for housing insulation. "Blue foam" is just not a thing we have here, but maybe its called something else in the US?

Any good substitutes?

Most I know in the US that I know use XPS foam. You can get it in 1/2" sheets.

It's pretty cheap, like $10 for an 8'x4'

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

ExtraNoise posted:

Any good substitutes?

You gotta go to the kind of hardware place that serves contractors. Maybe a lumber yard. You *might* be able to find blue, but it's probably pink (but it doesn't matter). I've seen 1/2", 1", 2" and 4". Home Depot type places have limited stock, usually just the 2".

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

DiHK posted:

You gotta go to the kind of hardware place that serves contractors. Maybe a lumber yard. You *might* be able to find blue, but it's probably pink (but it doesn't matter). I've seen 1/2", 1", 2" and 4". Home Depot type places have limited stock, usually just the 2".

Yeah, same problem in Sweden, most places will have 40mm or 50mm thick XPS, but it's REALLY hard for some reason to find thinner sheets.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
You live in a cold country, no one needs the thin stuff.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

ExtraNoise posted:

Any good substitutes?

We have building standards here in the US, not like Old Blighty.

The thinnest I've seen in the US is 1 inch (R value is based by the inch.) You might be able to find thinner stuff by checking with a place that supplies contractors (not Home Depot) or bathroom supply. They use 10mm for heated bathroom floors sometimes. If you're in the south/south-west, you might have a better chance of finding something under an inch. I know in New England, it's tough finding anything under 2 inches.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Look at flooring underlayment. There is a fan-folding style that is foil coated on one side and foam (1.5mm, 2mm, or 3mm) on the other. It might not be a rigid enough foam though, it's been awhile since I did my floor and I wasn't into wargaming at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Yeah, the Blue Stuff is just the Dow version of the Corning Pink Stuff (or vice versa) -- they are both XPS and can be worked the same way.

Home Depot carries the 4'x8' panels in 1/2", 1", 1-1/2", and 2" thicknesses, though stock seems limited depending on area. You can always buy it from them online though -- I think shipping to store is free.

They DO stock 1/4" pieces, but it's only available as a 4'x50' "accordian" board, which is a lot of terrain (and $46). The cost is big, but it's also probably enough 1/4" foam to last a lifetime of terrain...