Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The Clowner posted:

Anyone have recommendations for the "ensemble cast of professionals trying to handle a hosed situation" genre of dramas? I've seen Margin Call and Contagion, and I would consider Arrival part of this genre as well.

Shin Godzilla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The Clowner posted:

Anyone have recommendations for the "ensemble cast of professionals trying to handle a hosed situation" genre of dramas? I've seen Margin Call and Contagion, and I would consider Arrival part of this genre as well.

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The Clowner posted:

Anyone have recommendations for the "ensemble cast of professionals trying to handle a hosed situation"
Gonna go ahead and count The Thing mostly 'cause I just wanna watch The Thing.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

The Clowner posted:

Apollo 13, 90 disaster double features Deep Impact/Armageddon and Volcano/Dante's Peak.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

This popped up in my memories and I figured someone would enjoy a high quality scan of the Freaked DVD case I did :

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

The Clowner posted:

I would definitely consider Underwater, but also Alien, Aliens, and Predator

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

caligulamprey posted:

This popped up in my memories and I figured someone would enjoy a high quality scan of the Freaked DVD case I did :

I wanna wallpaper my apartment with this.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

Oh my god, I went to a site that will print you up custom leggings and

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 6, 2020

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

I'm pretty sure that I tossed that DVD case when I moved last time (and put all my dvds in binders). This is the first time I regret that choice.

Also your new user name is :kiss:

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

caligulamprey posted:

How much are they?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

TrixRabbi posted:

How much are they?
The site wouldn't even quote me a price because the quality of the scan was too low but the one site I goofed with said starting at $30. I'm gonna have to try and get my scanner working again because this is a very good idea and the possibilities are endless.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

caligulamprey posted:

These are refuckingvolting and the world is a better place just for the idea of them existing.

Voodoofly posted:

I'm pretty sure that I tossed that DVD case when I moved last time (and put all my dvds in binders). This is the first time I regret that choice.

Also your new user name is :kiss:

:tipshat:

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The Clowner posted:

Eye in the Sky from 2015 is similar to Margin Call in that it's focused on procedures and follows a crisis as it moves up and down a chain of command. In that movie's case, it's about whether to drone strike a possible terrorist hideout.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Eye in the Sky owns, I completely forgot about that movie.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Are you guys talking about this 2015 masterpiece?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDll41RNWFE&t=162s

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I gotta get this up in the ionosphere, gotta get eyes in the sky.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I gotta get this up in the ionosphere, gotta get eyes in the sky.

Back when I first saw this I had no idea about On Cinema, so it was just this amusing, goofy thing. Now it sounds to me like what Shakespeare performing his own work at the globe theatre must have sounded like.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's so weird to me that Stephen Frears and John Cusack made exactly two movies together, ten years apart, and those two movies are The Grifters and High Fidelity.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Skwirl posted:

It's so weird to me that Stephen Frears and John Cusack made exactly two movies together, ten years apart, and those two movies are The Grifters and High Fidelity.

I mean, John Cusack is the worst performance in both of those movies, so checks out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Voodoofly posted:

I mean, John Cusack is the worst performance in both of those movies, so checks out.

The gently caress?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Skwirl posted:

The gently caress?

I'm on record that Joan is the talented Cusack, but that aside, who is better than him in either of those movies?

Grifters: Annette Bening, Angelica Houston, Pat Hingle and JT Walsh are all amazing in Grifters. Cuscak is well cast in that I believe he couldn't con his way out of a bar, but he can't hold a candle to those performances.

High Fidelity: I've always found him weak in this as well, but that aside: Jack Black and Todd Louiso put in all-time best performances, Iben Hjele (I know I spelled that wrong) is fantastic in a subtle performance, and for smaller roles Lisa Bonet, Tim Robbins and Sara Gilbert all have extremely memorable turns. Even his former flames (Lily Tomlin, Catherine Jones) make a lot out of little. Cusack is fine in this I suppose, but everyone else is at the top of their game.

Edit: gently caress, Joan Cusack totally shows him up in High Fidelity. Hi Rob, YOU rear end in a top hat!!!! contrast that with the "What loving Ian Guy?" and one person sells over the top, the other person has the worst delivery in the movie (although I think Stephen Frears did John Cusack no favors in that scene - that scene is just poo poo).

If you want real screen chemistry between Black and Cusack, watch School of Rock

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 6, 2020

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The moment I found out John Cusack hates Better Off Dead was the moment I started hating John Cusack. gently caress 'em.

OH MAN, I got my scanner up and running and I'm currently uploading an 80-megabyte uncompressed .tiff of that Freaked artwork if anyone wants to make their own leggings. :getin:

https://easyupload.io/xexi2e

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 6, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Voodoofly posted:

that aside, who is better than him in either of those movies?

For sure. Todd Louiso gives a terrific understated performance. Lisa Bonet is magnetic. Tim Robbins is perfectly douchey. John Cusack is perfectly serviceable in the film, but yeah it could've been a much more nuanced character under somebody else.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 6, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Voodoofly posted:

I'm on record that Joan is the talented Cusack, but that aside, who is better than him in either of those movies?

Grifters: Annette Bening, Angelica Houston, Pat Hingle and JT Walsh are all amazing in Grifters. Cuscak is well cast in that I believe he couldn't con his way out of a bar, but he can't hold a candle to those performances.

High Fidelity: I've always found him weak in this as well, but that aside: Jack Black and Todd Louiso put in all-time best performances, Iben Hjele (I know I spelled that wrong) is fantastic in a subtle performance, and for smaller roles Lisa Bonet, Tim Robbins and Sara Gilbert all have extremely memorable turns. Even his former flames (Lily Tomlin, Catherine Jones) make a lot out of little. Cusack is fine in this I suppose, but everyone else is at the top of their game.

Edit: gently caress, Joan Cusack totally shows him up in High Fidelity. Hi Rob, YOU rear end in a top hat!!!! contrast that with the "What loving Ian Guy?" and one person sells over the top, the other person has the worst delivery in the movie (although I think Stephen Frears did John Cusack no favors in that scene - that scene is just poo poo).

If you want real screen chemistry between Black and Cusack, watch School of Rock

I'll grant that the supporting actors in High Fidelity are loving great, as are the female leads in Grifters, but I think John Cusack is also great in both those films.

I just rewatched High Fidelity today because Hulu made a TV show of it with Zoe Kravitz in the Cusack role, which is really weird since she looks so much like her mother Lisa Bonet.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Voodoofly posted:

I'm on record that Joan is the talented Cusack

This is not an opinion. This is bone-hard medical fact.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Skwirl posted:

I just rewatched High Fidelity today because Hulu made a TV show of it with Zoe Kravitz in the Cusack role, which is really weird since she looks so much like her mother Lisa Bonet.

How is it? To me, High Fidelity is so closely tied to recognizing and (kinda) pushing past your own toxic masculinity that I can't imagine a gender-swapped version not losing a ton in the translation.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Skwirl posted:

I'll grant that the supporting actors in High Fidelity are loving great, as are the female leads in Grifters, but I think John Cusack is also great in both those films.

I really don't like John Cusack in just about anything, but putting my own bias aside, Grifters and High Fidelity are probably two of his best performances. I still stand by my statement that Cusack at his best is still the worst performance in both of them, though.

This is not an opinion. This is bone-hard medical fact.

I think it is more and more accepted as gospel as every year goes by. But man, don't you dare say this in film school circa 2000 or be prepared to be hated for life.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Voodoofly posted:

I think it is more and more accepted as gospel as every year goes but. But man, don't you dare say this in film school circa 2000 or be prepared to be hated for life.

Being prepared to be (or already being) hated for life by your peers should be a prerequisite for film school. How To Be Widely Despised 101 ought to be a required course.

If your loss in popularity stems from your Cusack preference, you’re perfectly okay as far as film people go.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

How is it? To me, High Fidelity is so closely tied to recognizing and (kinda) pushing past your own toxic masculinity that I can't imagine a gender-swapped version not losing a ton in the translation.

It's decent, the best parts are when they get farther away from the source, it's very weird when Zoe Kravitz is delivering the exact same lines John Cusack did. The part based on Lisa Bonet's part in the movie is pretty funny though.

Also it doesn't have a proper ending because they were clearly planning on a second season, and at first I was a little annoyed they moved it to Brooklyn instead of keeping it set in Chicago, then I remembered the movie is based on a book set in London.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Being prepared to be (or already being) hated for life by your peers should be a prerequisite for film school. How To Be Widely Despised 101 ought to be a required course.

If your loss in popularity stems from your Cusack preference, you’re perfectly okay as far as film people go.

To be fair, I lost my classmates on like the second class of my first semester. We all had to name a movie we liked, and a similar movie we didn't like:

Me: I love Dazed and Confused, it's one of the movies that sent me to film school. I also don't care at all about the Breakfast Club, and find it completely out of touch with any version of school I ever experienced.
Entire class: YOU GOD drat MONSTER!!!!

There is a reason I hung out with the music kids after that, and focused more on sound and music production. At least in music everyone hates everyone else's taste equally.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Voodoofly posted:

I really don't like John Cusack in just about anything, but putting my own bias aside, Grifters and High Fidelity are probably two of his best performances. I still stand by my statement that Cusack at his best is still the worst performance in both of them, though.

I think it is more and more accepted as gospel as every year goes by. But man, don't you dare say this in film school circa 2000 or be prepared to be hated for life.

https://youtu.be/0TZ1DhcS2v8?t=2m45s

I like John but I loooove Joan. How could one not love someone who took the role of a Debbie in Addams Family Values and clearly relished it?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Using the current discussion as an excuse to link my favorite scene from High Fidelity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCXyKmQ4dMc

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I used to order my blu-rays/dvds autobiographically.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Well, I don't do leggings, but I now have this on the way:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Criminal Minded posted:

What are the other must-see Shaw Brothers flicks, besides 36th Chamber of Shaolin?

A couple that haven't been brought up:

Holy Flame of the Martial World (1983) This is much more of a fantasy film than 36th Chamber or other more serious kung fu films, but it has a lot of charm, a lot of fantastic wire work, and at one point they fight Dracula who no one can understand on account of none of the heroes speak English.

Super Inframan (1975) A Shaw Bros take on Ultraman and Kamen Rider. None of the kung fu makes the slightest bit of sense but it has great costumes, solid special effects, a great "the future as envisioned by the '70s" aesthetic, and a bad rear end gang of scientist-bikers. It's the first Shaw Bros film that was made with a storyboard!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q8coGsIdk0

Jade Raksha (1968) and Dragon Swamp (1969) are maybe less notable but are still very solid films.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/JFrankensteiner/status/1236154556339363840?s=20

Edit:
https://twitter.com/dpatrickrodgers/status/1222336816914796544?s=20

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Mar 7, 2020

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Those kinda scenes are so charming and restricted to such a specific End of History kind of mid nineties enthusiasm where being Gen X is cool, like doing acid and having sex in the sixties were

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0S6b7_Z404

I wonder if the same guy wrote both these

I guess that Effron movie about EDM was pretty much the same

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Mar 7, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Peccadillo posted:

Those kinda scenes are so charming and restricted to such a specific End of History kind of mid nineties enthusiasm where being Gen X is cool, like doing acid at Woodstock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0S6b7_Z404

I wonder if the same guy wrote both these

I guess that Effron movie about EDM was pretty much the same

Is that the English teacher Lorelei briefly dated in Gilmore Girls?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
No he's Cyberstorm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyvkNDtW7Lw

A musician who falls into a sadness when he loses his human hands and gets robot hands, and robots can't make music... Or can they

That's my attempt at a VHS back cover

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Mar 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I love that there was a moment in time where you could make a six figure income just as a techno DJ. Not even being Moby or whatever and putting out albums, just DJing huge raves for like $5,000 a pop twice a month.