Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

R.L. Stine posted:

maybe also a modernized site so there's easier options to find the one you're looking for and sort them or whatever. would people want that

Archivists are all doing god's work if you ask me. The internet right now is a churning cesspit of ephemera and anyone working to preserve the fun and interesting stuff in defiance of that is pretty cool imo. Plus, there have been so many times I've wanted to link someone to some old, obscure stuff from these boards and didn't know where to even start looking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
i've collected 220 threads and have barely scratched the surface. i'm grabbing everything under the 'weird' umbrella. ghosts, cryptids, ufos, conspiracy theories, weird poo poo you'd probably find on wikipedia, unsolved poo poo, creepy photos & photoshops etc.

my plan is i'm only going to use posts with actual content and catalog them appropriately. any media that's missing i'll try to track down, there are threads i remember very well like 'i found a camera in the woods' and i'm sure the images are broken, but i also know i've seen them elsewhere on the internet since then

also early sa was pretty hosed up

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

R.L. Stine posted:

The highs were pretty high, but the lows were revolting. A land of contrasts.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The rest of the Internet was just as bad but dumber and less funny.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

I got really excited when I first started reading your post then bummed it wasn't the actual the Most Mysterious Song on the Internet. It's fascinating that one still hasn't been identified.

Yeah, I misunderstood what was being described. Sorry.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Algerian man missing for 26 years found in neighbours cellar

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

The Article posted:

The newspaper said, according to accounts from locals, Mr Omran's dog had hung around the suspect's home for at least a month after he disappeared.

Good dog :(

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

R.L. Stine posted:

very easy to read and not hard on the eyes at all if you don't have archives

if i were to go back and make a pdf and epub and poo poo of all the stories, categorized and indexed and linked, would that be kosher? it's not my work obviously but it would be a shame to lose them, they were some of my favourite threads too
Ask Elise directly. She holds the copyright, and I believe she's planning to work the whole thing into a book someday.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Did... his brother know where he was the whole time?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

BrianRx posted:

Did... his brother know where he was the whole time?

I think the cops got a tip off after the brother started complaining about inheritance on some social media account. Maybe it was something related to not knowing if the kidnapped man was still alive and how that was affecting the inheritance. Somehow that got someone to tell the police. Didn't sound like the brother knew, at least according to the article.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Detective Thompson posted:

I think the cops got a tip off after the brother started complaining about inheritance on some social media account. Maybe it was something related to not knowing if the kidnapped man was still alive and how that was affecting the inheritance. Somehow that got someone to tell the police. Didn't sound like the brother knew, at least according to the article.

Yeah, I got that, but I'm not sure how to connect those dots. I'd guess something along the lines of the brother not being able to claim an inheritance since the missing brother hadn't been declared dead, but I don't know how you get from there to the neighbor's basement.

Maybe it was like that kid who 'disappeared' for several years before turning up in front of a church in his hometown when he was in his 20's. The neighbors knew he was still living (read: imprisoned) at his mom's house and even hung out with him some times, but it took a surprisingly long time for that information to make it to the public despite national interest in the story.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

I regret to inform you all that lionsgate is releasing a movie this summer about the West Mesa Murders. It is called Boneyard.

It stars, of all loving people, Mel Gibson and 50 cent.

It was filmed in Las Vegas, Nevada.

The families of the victims were not told and found out this week.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Droogie posted:

I regret to inform you all that lionsgate is releasing a movie this summer about the West Mesa Murders. It is called Boneyard.

I made the assumption he was directing and was cautiously optimistic as he is a fantastic director but nope.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Droogie posted:

Jesus Christ.

But on another heartbreaking topic, you know how “engineered stone” had become the new hotness for countertops since the 2010s, since it has all the durability of granite at a fraction of the cost? And how it can be customized with colors and patterns but always has that glitter of quartz bits within?

Well, sourcing and manufacturing of Silestone and other alternatives is leading to an epidemic of silicosis in quartz mine workers in Turkey and Spain, the residents around the mines, and construction and renovation workers worldwide who work with the stuff.

Silicosis is incurable and agonizing. The PPE and safe handling practices for other silica-containing materials will not keep up with the 93% silica composition of engineered stone, and most sourcing and shaping of the material is done in lovely sweatshop conditions where they get no PPE, no ventilation, and absolutely no help from the company when their lungs become more silica than flesh.

As of July 1, 2024, engineered stone will be illegal to manufacture or use in Australia.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Busket Posket posted:

As of July 1, 2024, engineered stone will be illegal to manufacture or use in Australia.

That's going to really date my newish kitchen. Back in the '80s you could tell because it was marble. Now you can tell how old a kitchen is because it's got not-asbestos in it.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

R.L. Stine posted:

i've collected 220 threads and have barely scratched the surface. i'm grabbing everything under the 'weird' umbrella. ghosts, cryptids, ufos, conspiracy theories, weird poo poo you'd probably find on wikipedia, unsolved poo poo, creepy photos & photoshops etc.

my plan is i'm only going to use posts with actual content and catalog them appropriately. any media that's missing i'll try to track down, there are threads i remember very well like 'i found a camera in the woods' and i'm sure the images are broken, but i also know i've seen them elsewhere on the internet since then

there are over 6000 pages of threads to go through. needs a lot of front end work, it's real ugly. trying to contact admins to see if it's ok to make this public when it's ready

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Busket Posket posted:

Jesus Christ.

Silicosis is incurable and agonizing. The PPE and safe handling practices for other silica-containing materials will not keep up with the 93% silica composition of engineered stone, and most sourcing and shaping of the material is done in lovely sweatshop conditions where they get no PPE, no ventilation, and absolutely no help from the company when their lungs become more silica than flesh.

Ugh, I just heard a similar story on my local NPR about coal miners here in the Appalachian area of the US (where I live).

So most people are familiar with coal miners getting black lung. But as coal veins "dry up", miners are forced to drill laterally thru mountains and thus are drilling into quartz. Now you've got miners huffing what's essentially pulverized glass, but not getting proper PPE because the standard requirements are still just for coal dust. Coal dust can be ejected from your lungs over time, silica just stays there forever until, as Busket says, their lungs turn into more sand than lungs.

The interviews with the miners, men and women 20 - 30 years younger than me, hacking and gasping mid-sentence for breath, fits the thread's title of unnerving.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Ugh, I just heard a similar story on my local NPR about coal miners here in the Appalachian area of the US (where I live).

So most people are familiar with coal miners getting black lung. But as coal veins "dry up", miners are forced to drill laterally thru mountains and thus are drilling into quartz. Now you've got miners huffing what's essentially pulverized glass, but not getting proper PPE because the standard requirements are still just for coal dust. Coal dust can be ejected from your lungs over time, silica just stays there forever until, as Busket says, their lungs turn into more sand than lungs.

The interviews with the miners, men and women 20 - 30 years younger than me, hacking and gasping mid-sentence for breath, fits the thread's title of unnerving.

Can't wait for Kentucky to declare that only five doctors who all work for GE qualify to diagnose silicosis for worker's comp purposes.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I assume those people will be eligible for the Federal Black Lung program, although I don't know what the process is to get coverage. Since it's a work comp benefit, probably a lot of hoops to jump through.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I was a little kid when this happened and it freaked me out. Still does considering the possible awful outcomes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_Chowchilla_kidnapping

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I've fallen into a youtube hole where a toxicologist tells anonymized stories of various terrifying medical cases, usually breaking down the science of exactly how the chemistry of various kinds of poisoning acts in the body. It's pretty good. He did a video on dimethylmercury and the infamous case of the scientist who spilled two drops on a gloved hand here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ7M01jV058

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

mycatscrimes posted:

the infamous case of the scientist who spilled two drops on a gloved hand here
Yeah that incident is loving heartbreaking

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Cat Hassler posted:

Yeah that incident is loving heartbreaking

It is. : ( You can also really feel how deeply her passing affected her community of peers, from how they responded, and the way they still talk about her. There's some of that in the comments on the video, people saying she's considered a hero for spending her time warning other researchers about the dangers of working with dimethylmercury even as she was quickly declining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChgIkbg0x80
Here's a lighter one with a much happier ending.

mycatscrimes has a new favorite as of 01:58 on Jun 1, 2024

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Canadian serial killer Robert Pickton died.
He was a pig farmer who murdered at least 6 women. Guess what he did with their bodies!
Good riddance.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Cat Hassler posted:

I was a little kid when this happened and it freaked me out. Still does considering the possible awful outcomes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_Chowchilla_kidnapping

One of my favourite writers, Kaleb Horton, wrote a long piece about this:

https://www.vox.com/the-highlight/22570738/chowchilla-school-bus-kidnapping

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm just impressed by the whole "they put sheet metal and two hundred-pound batteries on it then buried the entrance" and these youths just problem-solve the gently caress out of it. Now that's grace under pressure.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
All this time I thought Dirty Harry copied the bus kidnapping, but those dunderheads copied the movie. Holy poo poo.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

drat they look like some hosed up mutants

EDIT: The kidnappers, not the kidnapped

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Of course it was a bunch of poor little rich kids. I briefly attended a very wealthy school and it was one of the only places I've encountered high school students running an iPod (this ages me I'm sure) theft and reselling ring, just because they could. Not a one of them couldn't afford fifty new iPods, they'd just do that poo poo for fun.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

American crooner Robert Goulet released a ballad about the incident in 1977, entitled "Ballad Of Chowchilla Ray".

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

quote:

The Rengstorff House was one of the first houses to be built in Mountain View, California. It was built c. 1867 by Henry Rengstorff, a prominent local businessman who operated a ferry between San Francisco and Mountain View. It is built in the Italianate Victorian architecture style. The house's three-bay front facade features an entrance pavilion topped by a balustrade and a pediment on the middle bay.[2]

In 1976 Frederick Woods, and James and Richard Schoenfeld launched their plan to preserve the mansion and make it their private residence at the intersection of Middlefield Road and Independence Street, to realize a dream of living in a grand, fully restored and modernized Victorian mansion. Needing $60,000 to realize the plan, they hatched the plan later known as the infamous Chowchilla kidnapping.[5] When all the children and their bus driver were able to escape, they were arrested and sentenced to life in prison, ending this plan for the house.[6]

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Holy gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLw4iBEQkl4

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

That is the last thing I was expecting from "ballad".

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Some record executive in the '70s: "Uhh... sure Robbie... but uhh... let's make it the b-side, OK? :stare:"

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Yeah it's absolutely wild that their motivation for kidnapping a bunch of kids and trying to ransom them was "we wanted to renovate our house." Also apparently one of the culprits was like, a trust fund kid anyway? Totally deranged

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Kit Walker posted:

Yeah it's absolutely wild that their motivation for kidnapping a bunch of kids and trying to ransom them was "we wanted to renovate our house." Also apparently one of the culprits was like, a trust fund kid anyway? Totally deranged

Now, for another one of the kids it was also "I want a Ferrari and my parents won't loan me the money."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Canadian serial killer Robert Pickton died.
He was a pig farmer who murdered at least 6 women. Guess what he did with their bodies!
Good riddance.

It was a graphic and painful death for him. As a Canadian woman, I'm very glad.