Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
HUGE CONTENT WARNING: child exploitation, discussion of pedophilia

The Influencer Is a Young Teenage Girl. The Audience Is 92% Adult Men.

The mom was torn. To reach the influencer stratosphere, the account would need a lot more followers—and she would have to be less discriminating about who they were. Instagram promotes content based on engagement, and the male accounts she had been blocking tend to engage aggressively, lingering on photos and videos and boosting them with likes or comments. Running them off, or broadly disabling comments, would likely doom her daughter’s influencer aspirations.

That was a reason to say no. There were also reasons to say yes. The mom felt the account had brought her closer with her daughter, and even second- and third-tier influencers can make tens of thousands of dollars a year or more. The money could help pay for college, the mom thought.

The mom said yes. And with that, she grew to accept a grim reality: Being a young influencer on Instagram means building an audience including large numbers of men who take sexual interest in children.

“It’s not that I liked it, ever. Ever. It just is what it is,” the mom said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Laws about exploiting your child like this for people online can't come soon enough, jesus christ

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You don’t understand! They could make tens of thousands of dollars a year! Tens!

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

I AM GRANDO posted:

You don’t understand! They could make tens of thousands of dollars a year! Tens!

Sometimes I remember that teen who got famous for being super trashy and threatening to fight her mom on Dr. Phil made $50M on onlyfans the year she turned 18 and just stare out into the middle distance for a while.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Sometimes I remember that teen who got famous for being super trashy and threatening to fight her mom on Dr. Phil made $50M on onlyfans the year she turned 18 and just stare out into the middle distance for a while.

How about that.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Zero One posted:

How about that.

*How bout dah

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Busket Posket posted:

HUGE CONTENT WARNING: child exploitation, discussion of pedophilia

The Influencer Is a Young Teenage Girl. The Audience Is 92% Adult Men.

Anyone got a non paywalled version?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Huh I figured you wouldn't have to pay for have access to the mod forums.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Anyone got a non paywalled version?

https://archive.is/0Q3Xw

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Jfc the hashtags used should be an immediate red flag to someone’s account.

There was a similar NYT article a few months ago about this topic, unfortunately, about kids younger than 13. I feel kind of weird linking it because sure it’s a NYT article but it’s one of the worst things I’ve ever read - and not in quality of the reporting.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I feel like that's something every stage parent has to accept in order to trade on their child's glory, which is part of why we revile them. Their logic is usually along the lines of, 'well if I go in knowing what is going on and act as a protector, they will be safe!', and that ofc amounts to dangling your child in front of predators as bait hoping you can catch big money and still keep your kid safe. I see it as a twisted form of gambling, because the parent is enticed by a 'big win' of fame & fortune, convinces themselves they can mitigate the risk through staying ahead of it, and subsequently makes the biggest mistake any gambler can make - they bet more than they can afford to lose, which is their child's well-being.

there's always some sort of hemming and hawwing afterwards about if they knew then what they knew now they wouldn't have done it, but again, any gambler would say 'if I knew I was going to lose, I would've have made the bet' - the issue was that they were ever willing to make the bet in the first place when they knew the stakes, they just convinced themselves they could out-think child predators and unfortunately, they could not.

Like, the mom in that article saying that 'in hindsight', allowing adult men to buy direct access to messaging her daughter via Instagram subscriptions wasn't a good call. C'mon. She KNEW what she was doing, that is NOT a 'hindsight is 20-20 tee-hee' moment.

the most painful are the ones where it's the kid who really wanted to do it and the parent supports them thinking they'll be a protector but then it's still not enough. Because they're forever haunted by the thought they should've just been a parent and said no, and it becomes this whole ~~supporting your child's dream~~~ vs crushing their dreams for their safety thing.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 15:54 on Jun 18, 2024

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Truly, all the best parents I know put no (or very few) photos of their kids online, or only in very protected & locked-off family-only accounts. To protect them from predators, but also bc kids deserve a right to privacy until they're old enough to consent to distributing their images publicly online.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 16:02 on Jun 18, 2024

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I really hate the tone of that article just cutting back to the mum acting like it's perfectly reasonable and anyone would do it and we'll that's just how it is you know

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yes. She's horrible. "Well, yes, adults were perving on my daughter, and yes, her account was deleted twice, but HER CAREER."

Overlooking that she's aging out of her "career" quickly.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

(press conference)

Mother: It’s shocking how our sweet @omahababyskank is being treated. If we can’t even trust our “Special Friend” tier patreon supporters then I fear for our country.

(blurred out, name redacted)

like an suscribe and, and oh yeah dont send peenerses

Mom: or what baby

or i cry

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

I also don't understand the pervs who send messages to those kids. Even if they think the kids themselves are in charge of these accounts, do they think any tween/young teen is going to go "yay, adult dick!".

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

"showing people the dick against their will and now they've had to look at it and they're upset about it" is its own fetish for a strangely high number of fuckheads

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

... and he is my navigator.
They just get off on the reaction. It’s loving twisted.

There was a guy in my town who would park somewhere quiet, wait until a woman walked by and call her over to ask for “directions”. Only OOPS, he had his dick out and you just saw it.

It doesn’t sound like a very shocking or upsetting scenario, but it’s awful.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Sexual violence and sexual harassment is primarily a violent act about power and domination.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

At my job, we have a couple comfy chairs right by the register. A couple weeks ago some guy was sitting there by himself. Not unusual, a lot of dudes sit there and wait for their wives to keep shopping.

My coworker Mary noticed he kept staring at her, which was giving her the creeps. Another coworker, John, was walking by, then back tracked to go behind the counter. He asked Mary to "help with something in the office".

What Mary couldn't see from her angle behind the counter (she's p short) was the guy was sporting a very visible erection, legs spread to make it obvious. Right there where every customer coming in or out could see it.

I'm sure he was hoping to get a reaction; as mentioned, that's what gets these guys off. But Mary just stayed put while John calmly walked backed out to the counter. All he had to do was visibly pick up the phone and the perv left. He didn't get the reaction he wanted of women shrieking in horror or men getting angry, so I think we won?

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

JacquelineDempsey posted:

At my job, we have a couple comfy chairs right by the register. A couple weeks ago some guy was sitting there by himself. Not unusual, a lot of dudes sit there and wait for their wives to keep shopping.

My coworker Mary noticed he kept staring at her, which was giving her the creeps. Another coworker, John, was walking by, then back tracked to go behind the counter. He asked Mary to "help with something in the office".

What Mary couldn't see from her angle behind the counter (she's p short) was the guy was sporting a very visible erection, legs spread to make it obvious. Right there where every customer coming in or out could see it.

I'm sure he was hoping to get a reaction; as mentioned, that's what gets these guys off. But Mary just stayed put while John calmly walked backed out to the counter. All he had to do was visibly pick up the phone and the perv left. He didn't get the reaction he wanted of women shrieking in horror or men getting angry, so I think we won?

:whitewater:

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

This case has left me wondering since I received the AMBER Alert in May. Hopefully some answers will be revealed, but the following is a case of murder and kidnapping, including a severe injury to a child.

---

On May 3rd of this year on the outskirts of the small city of Clovis, New Mexico, Detective Elijo Honorato was the first official on scene at Ned Houk Memorial Park. He arrived moments after a dispatch call of “subject down” at the park and was flagged down by citizens that called 911. He pulled into the parking lot at 4:25PM. As he arrived, he parked adjacent to an older model silver minivan, exited his patrol vehicle, and found two women on the ground next to the park’s playground, deceased. A short distance away, a 5 year old girl was also on the ground, her face caked in dirt and blood. The detective went to the girl first, and found her to have a pulse. She was bleeding from a gunshot wound to the head. The detective stayed with the girl and had one of the callers use his patrol radio to report the findings to dispatch. Once paramedics arrived and took custody of the girl, Detective Honorato and a responding lieutenant took note of what objects were immediately in their vicinity- part of a maroon colored vehicle side mirror cover to an unknown Honda vehicle, a stroller seemingly too small for the girl found, and a baby bottle. Looking into the silver van, officers saw in the backseat a toddler-sized car seat next to a car seat sized for a baby. Officers started fanning out to search the sizable park grounds and ponds, surrounded by open farm lands.

Just 4 minutes after Detective Honorato initially arrived on scene, during the initial shock of finding two bodies and attempting to comfort a shot child, neither he nor the witnesses on scene noticed a 2022 Maroon Honda with Texas plates pulled up to the park within sight of the scene. As paramedics and more officers arrived, the Honda drove away from the park, headed north, and at 4:42 PM turned east and headed for Texas.

As officers scoured the park and surroundings, crime scene investigators worked to document the scene. Due to the circumstances, the van was entered and identification was found for one of the deceased, Taryn Allen. The vehicle plates were registered to a Samantha Torres, and a photo of the registrant was located and matched the other woman. Both women had been shot multiple times, and Samantha appeared to have also been struck by a vehicle. Multiple 9MM shell casings were found near the bodies. Both women’s belongings all appeared to be present at the scene.

In short order investigators found that Samantha Cisneros had two children, Sophia, who was recovered at the scene and already being treated, and a 10 month old, Eleia, who was still unaccounted for. The fathers of the children were quickly found, Eleia’s father reporting to the Clovis Police Department for questioning, and the father of Sophia was found to have definitely been in Roswell New Mexico at the time. Neither father appeared to have any knowledge of the incident, and more troublingly, neither had Eleia.

With two dead, a child in critical condition, and a child missing, investigators were able to make quick work of obtaining a search warrant for the minivan beyond the exigent circumstance search for identification. Inside the van, a starting point was found- a receipt from a nearby Dollar Tree from the same day with a timestamp of 2:48PM. When asked for security footage, Officers saw Samantha and Taryn exiting the store at that time with two children. Officers then obtained warrants for cell phone tower data in the area of both the Dollar Tree and Ned Houk park. These records corroborated that both Samantha and Taryn’s phones pinged off the closest tower to the Dollar Tree, then were in the vicinity of Ned Houk Park shortly thereafter until the phones were recovered by police.

Sifting through the cell data for the area, something stood out immediately. A phone number with a Houston area code was recorded near the same Dollar Tree Just before 3:00PM, then pinged off the tower nearest Ned Houk Park between 3 and 4 PM. Officers were able to obtain security footage from a McDonald’s next to the Dollar Tree during their canvassing and observed clearly a maroon Honda with Texas plates and a damaged passenger side mirror cover at approximately 2:44PM. The piece of side mirror recovered at the murder scene was from the driver’s side.

Detective Honorato was rushing to put together an AMBER Alert at this time in an effort to get one pushed through to area phones before the license plate was identified. Even still, the AMBER Alert did not reach phones until 10:50 PM MST.

The license plate of this suspicious vehicle was captured clearly enough to identify that it was registered to a Houston man that had rented the vehicle out using HyreCar (or Turo, official accounts vary) to a man named Alek (or Alik, again, accounts use both) Collins on April 21st. The car was expected back on the 23rd, but Alek never returned. The owner of the car reported it as stolen to his local authorities, but more importantly the vehicle was equipped with a GPS tracker and the ability to disable the starter remotely, an option the owner was waiting to use once the vehicle was at least back in his state.

At this time, both the New Mexico State Police and the local branch of the FBI were involved in the investigation. The GPS records for the vehicle showed investigators that the vehicle exhibited ‘normal’ driving patterns between April 21st and May 3rd, in which the vehicle used highways and traveled at normal speeds. After 5PM on the 3rd, the vehicle avoided all highways and was recorded at speeds of approximately 100 miles per hour as it tore through the backroads of western Texas into the night.

At 10:52 PM CST, the Honda pulled into the garage of a house in Abilene, Texas, nearly 280 miles away. Once law enforcement and the owner of the vehicle realized that the car was parked at a residence, the starter was disabled. With this information in hand, the warrant for cellular data was expanded to Abilene while the local Police started quietly securing the blocks around the house and setting up ground surveillance. Once cell tower data was retrieved for the area, it confirmed that Alek’s cell phone had communicated with the tower closest to this address, but no new data had pinged the tower from his phone after 6 PM on May 5th, and was likely turned off.

Just after 1 AM on May 6th, officers surveilling the address witnessed one of the garage doors open and a man matching the description of Alek pushed a maroon Honda out of the driveway and onto the street. Officers noted that both side mirror covers were damaged. The man went back into the address after accomplishing this. It was noted in several stories that Alek Collins was not associated with this address or even Abilene at all without further explanation, but after finding the address through filed criminal complaints and arrest warrants, I was able to confirm the address is an Airbnb rental.

Police continued to watch the address as an executable arrest warrant was being finalized. Much later the same morning, officers witnessed a Cadillac SUV arrive at the address in Abilene. After the arrival of this car, Collins came out of the address carrying a young child. He placed the child in the back seat of the SUV, opened the passenger door, pulled out a 9MM Glock and forced the driver out of the vehicle, which had been a summoned Uber.

The surveilling officers now had to act, immediately pursuing the vehicle with an armed suspect and a 10 month old child. Abilene narcotics officers pursued the vehicle and after Collins collided with a police cruiser, the vehicle was pinned and forced to stop. Alek Collins was arrested and Eleia Torres was recovered, unhurt.

Alek or Alik Collins

Alek Collins appears to have an alarming history with the FBI already. In October 2023, Collins contacted a Texas FBI field office using the same phone number found in the course of the murder and abduction case unfolding. He requested the FBI’s help in locating and recovering his daughter. The FBI note that Collins seemed to be heavily intoxicated, and could not provide details of the alleged daughter’s mother, nor could he remember the name of his own child, referring to her as “Rebecca” but noted that Rebecca was not the actual name of this child. The only provided detail was that the child was 5 years old. No report I have located indicates if he ever had a child or if this was fabricated by him.

When Collins became frustrated with not getting assistance. He expressed in this October call that if the FBI did not assist him, he would “start killing people and children.” During this conversation, Collins also told agents that he had already submitted a photo to the FBI of a woman and her child that he had previously kidnapped in an attempt to pressure law enforcement to assist him. Of note, I have not found any reports that confirm or refute that this kidnapping happened.

Officers were dispatched in October 2023 to conduct interviews with Collins, which ultimately ended with Collins being taken for a mental health evaluation. During his evaluation, he did say that he did not own a firearm and did not intend to actually hurt anyone, but that he was using these statements to draw law enforcement attention. In at least one account, he did note that while he did not have a firearm, it would be easy enough for him to obtain one. Collins was prohibited from purchasing a legitimate firearm in TEXAS and was also noted in NICS (National Instant Criminal Background Check System) to alert law enforcement if Collins attempted to purchase a firearm.

As of this writing, Alek Collins has been charged with 2 counts of murder in the first degree, kidnapping in the first degree, abandonment or abuse of a minor in the first degree, abandonment or abuse of a minor in the third degree, as well as federal kidnapping charges and discharge of a firearm in furtherance of a crime of violence.

Collins appears to not have any connection to the victims, especially one where it would make sense for him to drive 10 hours from the Houston area to a small town on the border of New Mexico and Texas. There appears to be no specific reason why Collins, who believed he was looking for his alleged 5 year old daughter, shot a 5 year old and took a child not even a year old.

Collins is currently awaiting trial, and has as of this week had a protective order leveled against him from the court to prevent him from sharing any victim information to any third party not involved in the prosecution or defense of the case.

Taryn Allen and Samantha Cisneros were both 23. Sophia Cisneros has by all accounts undergone multiple medical procedures but has made significant progress in recovery. Eleia Torres was unhurt.

Taryn Allen

Samantha Cisneros and her children

The families of the deceased have stated that they do not wish their loved ones to be remembered as victims, but rather as heroes that clearly fought for the safety of the children.

A trial has not yet been scheduled.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Jesus. What in the gently caress.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

spookykid posted:

Jesus. What in the gently caress.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

I found something to post in this thread but think I'm going to give it a day or two, jesus christ.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Sorry :(

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

On the plus side you put it together really well! Probably my fault for reading on a Friday night, this is more of a Monday morning thread.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Posting in this thread can be hard. It's a mix between "do i really want to expose others to this?" and "i don't want to be alone in this."

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

oh it was worth posting. it was just harrowing.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Mx. posted:

oh it was worth posting. it was just harrowing.

Yeah, there have been plenty of murders and disappearances recently and in the last few months but this one has really piqued my curiosity, starting with receiving that incredibly heavy amber alert after hitting the bong one late night and the fact that thus far, by all accounts, there was zero connection.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

The Case of the Missing Chacmools

quote:

Soon after New Age icon and bestselling author Carlos Castaneda died in 1998, a group of his most loyal followers vanished, and many believed they’d made a suicide pact. Geoffrey Gray investigates the writer’s bizarre cult and finds himself entangled in a web of murky financial dealings, sex, possible foul play—and one death-defying supernatural being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

What a read, great article