Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/SabrinaSiddiqui/status/1327003525889581056

zuck is gonna get the hammer brought down on him in 2021 probably. Twitter will probably ban enough nutjobs including the president to dodge the ax but facebook is putting its dick in the hive hard.

It seems to me that Fuckerberg is really desperate to hold onto that middle-age Trump supporter audience. Sooner or later that's gonna be all that's left for the site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

TheScott2K posted:

Really miss the days when posters like Pick would get ridiculed to the point of melting down and getting permabanned instead of somehow getting Special Magic rear end in a top hat Status that results in actually-decent posters eating probes for pointing out the smell of their poo poo.

Sounds like you have a bone to Pick.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

TheScott2K posted:

Really miss the days when posters like Pick would get ridiculed to the point of melting down and getting permabanned instead of somehow getting Special Magic rear end in a top hat Status that results in actually-decent posters eating probes for pointing out the smell of their poo poo.

I've had entire threads about people making fun of my Marfan's. No amount of it is going to get me to melt down, sorry.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

i legit think steve bannon could reenact the joe biden buddy holly video and not get banned for it, lmao

Pick posted:

I've had entire threads about people making fun of my Marfan's. No amount of it is going to get me to melt down, sorry.

this is true, if dozens of pages of the hugh saga in relationship.txt threads couldnt deter pick's posting power, nothing as anodyne as insulting one's political opinions has a ghost of a chance

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Jaxyon posted:

I ate a 30 day ban from Facebook for calling a sexist a mildly mean thing

My trans wife got a 30 day ban for calling some cissexist rear end in a top hat a, and this is a direct quote, walnut.

Steven Bannon can call for beheadings and he's fine, but GOD FORBID you bring up the tree nuts.

cool kids inc. fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 12, 2020

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Pick posted:

That's not what it's about. who is "normal"?

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

adoration for none posted:

It seems to me that Fuckerberg is really desperate to hold onto that middle-age Trump supporter audience. Sooner or later that's gonna be all that's left for the site.

2.7 billion users so it might take a while.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Harold Fjord posted:

That's not what it's about. who is "normal"?

People without bone disorders? I don't know what you're going for here.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

slowdave posted:

2.7 billion accounts, Facebook will never tell you how many are frequently used

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Hollismason posted:

I don't think they can do that because their not the ones who tally the votes. The President of the Senate just presides over the objections. Just from my reading of it. They bring in two boxes then just count them. Basically any fuckery at that Joint Session is doom for our Republic if that were to happen. I was thinking more along the lines that Mike Pence wouldn't show up to preside over the proceedings or we'd get objections to every vote from Republicans where the house would have to hear 270+ objections.

If Pence isn't there they just have the President Pro-Tempore of the Senate (that's Grassley right now) handle it. And if he isn't there then they'll just nominate someone else to preside. It's how the Senate conducts their business anyways.

The whole thing is largely considered a formality, I don't expect any issues.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Steve bannon wasn't In dallas when JFK made his last stop before ending his presidency so he can't be sus

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

those old motherfuckers have to be the ones actually clicking through on ad traffic or something, because I thought the biggest growth markets for facebook were overseas

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Isn’t Facebook making its money outside the US and through stuff like WhatsAp?

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Kaal posted:

Some of these comments seem like pure Republican fantasy. Cecilia Muñoz has been on the Biden transition team since early September, she oversaw a 50% decrease in overall deportations as part of the Obama team, she's a longtime immigration advocate and civil rights activist, and she's openly advocated against deporting anyone who is not a recent arrival or convicted of a serious crime. She was picked because of her experience in building out a transparent immigration apparatus out of nothing, which is precisely what the Biden administration will have to do.

No, she didn't.

This comes up a fair bit and joepinetree did some amazing effort posts in the GE thread about this and other topics. I'm going to just quote one of their posts on this, since I think it's relevant. This is responding to another poster, but it should be fully readable.

joepinetree posted:

No, it is not true that "deportations have been on a serious downward trend for decades."

Legally speaking, "deportations" don't exist anymore, since the 1996 law IIRIRA. Deportations are now called "removal."

Besides removals, you have something else: returns. Returns is when CBP turns someone away at the border. This can include anything from a border official turning someone away because their visa isn't valid to someone being caught crossing the desert and CBP just telling them to turn around. Returns are not deportations, they are simply CBP turning someone away. There is no legal consequence to a return, it's essentially catch and release.

So returns have been on a downward trend for decades. Not because CBP is being nice, but because the border is so militarized that fewer people have been trying to cross the border.
But removals, which are the current version of deportations, reached a peak under Obama. Removals ARE a big deal, because there are legal consequences to removal. First, there is a bar (3 year for those in the US less than 1 year, 10 year) on applying for legal status for those who have been removed. Second, being caught within the US after being removed once is a federal felony. Third, removal frequently includes detention, while returns don't.

Returns being down and removals up during Obama isn't Obama being nice. It's the opposite. It means an effort to remove people even while there are fewer people to remove. Or, as Vox puts it:

https://www.vox.com/2014/4/11/5602272/removals-returns-and-deportations-a-very-short-history-of-immigration

And just in case that anyone had any doubts that this was a deliberate decision by Obama to be harsher on immigrants, the whole ramping up of removals has a name:

https://cmsny.org/publications/jmhs-in-harms-way/

The "Consequence Delivery System."

So you end up with this

Obama was quite proud of how much deporting he did, in part because he thought it would buy him respect from the Republicans (lol). Hiring one of the main architects and implementers of his immigration policy is definitely sending a message.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

If Pence isn't there they just have the President Pro-Tempore of the Senate (that's Grassley right now) handle it. And if he isn't there then they'll just nominate someone else to preside. It's how the Senate conducts their business anyways.

The whole thing is largely considered a formality, I don't expect any issues.

I could totally see Mike Pence vowing that he won't preside over a corrupt proceeding and "sticking to his principals".

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

slowdave posted:

Yeah, apparently 90% of users are outside the US/Canada. Wishful thinking by me.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Gerund posted:

Just to check, does your speech-to-text also explain why you keep getting caught saying that "normal people" are opposed to what "those people" are doing in the larger movement for Black lives?

Because if so, I'm sorry that I believed that you are coming off as a white supremacist because of your choice in pronouns and framing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

This doesn't read as a glib post. I disagree with this probation. >:|

Dapper_Swindler posted:

oh i know. i just mean its gonna be a big dumb shitshow until the 20th and after.

https://twitter.com/SabrinaSiddiqui/status/1327003525889581056

zuck is gonna get the hammer brought down on him in 2021 probably. Twitter will probably ban enough nutjobs including the president to dodge the ax but facebook is putting its dick in the hive hard.

This might be the journalistic phrasing that I am taking issue with, but "has not violated enough policies" is a poo poo rear end way to moderate your platform. gently caress Zuck.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Pick posted:

People without bone disorders? I don't know what you're going for here.

He helpfully brought up examples for you last page, that you ignored. Quotes in the post below:

Harold Fjord posted:

You were asked directly about it at the time, you repeated it without addressing it

Trafalgar
Nov 4, 2020

by Athanatos

Pick posted:

Oh great. Can the mods also provide a list of all the hosed up freaks we're not allowed to make fun of for being retards?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

text editor posted:

those old motherfuckers have to be the ones actually clicking through on ad traffic or something, because I thought the biggest growth markets for facebook were overseas

Facebook makes the lion's share of it's money domestically. Last time I checked their financials they were making ~$300 *per north american user*. European users also brought in a lot per capita, but not on the NA level. I wouldn't be surprised if their actual active account numbers in NA are shrinking though, so they may well be growing mostly overseas. Still, they're primarily US focused for foreseeable future.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Trafalgar posted:

Oh great. Can the mods also provide a list of all the hosed up freaks we're not allowed to make fun of for being retards?

gently caress off mate

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Trafalgar posted:

It's official forums policy that you're not allowed to claim that somebody is a white supremacist without some sort of evidence. The same goes for any other serious accusation, such as criminal accusations.

Trafalgar
Nov 4, 2020

by Athanatos

A big flaming stink posted:

gently caress off mate

What's your mental disorder you definitely have and not just a loser.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Which forum regular are you an alt for?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Pick posted:

It's official forums policy that you're not allowed to claim that somebody is a white supremacist without some sort of evidence. The same goes for any other serious accusation, such as criminal accusations.

You've been given every opportunity to rebut the evidence but chose to repeatedly ignore it instead

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Facebook makes the lion's share of it's money domestically. Last time I checked their financials they were making ~$300 *per north american user*. European users also brought in a lot per capita, but not on the NA level. I wouldn't be surprised if their actual active account numbers in NA are shrinking though, so they may well be growing mostly overseas. Still, they're primarily US focused for foreseeable future.

It also looks like their main source of new domestic users is Boomers. That may play a role in why Zuck seems to want to make the site so Nazi-friendly.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Harold Fjord posted:

You've been given every opportunity to rebut the evidence but chose to repeatedly ignore it instead

In those cases, it would have to come from a user that has posts I can read. If it becomes an issue with the moderators, please have them make the post or private message me. Otherwise, I am unlikely to even know.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Trafalgar posted:

some dumb poo poo

$5 per post, i hope you feel like you got your money's worth

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

I'm still waiting for the Fox News report about how Trump has basically disowned and now hates Fox News.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Pick posted:

In those cases, it would have to come from a user that has posts I can read. If it becomes an issue with the moderators, please have them make the post or private message me. Otherwise, I am unlikely to even know.
It's been posted on page after page, including this one, so I'm going with you just being a piece of poo poo white supremacist. Maybe the unintentional, generally propagandized american kind, but nevertheless

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 12, 2020

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Pick, stop being a martyr. Harold Fjord, stop feeding off of Pick's defensiveness.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

I ate a 30 day ban from Facebook for calling a sexist a mildly mean thing

Have a friend who was banned for 30 days from Facebook a week ago as the votes started being counted for saying, and I quote, "Large swathes of red errwhere except the populated cities. Rural white americans are just dumb and racist, nationwide. Who would have thought"

Apparently it violated "hate speech and inferiority".

Eat poo poo, Zuckerberg.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

It also looks like their main source of new domestic users is Boomers. That may play a role in why Zuck seems to want to make the site so Nazi-friendly.

This is literally it. The boomers retire and start spending all their time on Facebook. Their user base is lonely old white people now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1326967983709827079?s=20

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
At first I thought the refusal to accept the election results was funny but now it's feeling more like a bummer. Not just because this amount of distrust of the election process is so serious and could hurt our democracy, but because there are so many real ways we're screwed over by the government or lied to by the media that they could be focusing the energy on instead

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

cool kids inc. posted:

My trans wife got a 30 day ban for calling some cissexist rear end in a top hat a, and this is a direct quote, walnut.

Steven Bannon can call for beheadings and he's fine, but GOD FORBID you bring up the tree nuts.

Hey now, words can hurt!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Harold Fjord posted:

It's been posted on page after page, including this one, so I'm going with you just being a piece of poo poo white supremacist. Maybe the unintentional, generally propagandized american kind, but nevertheless

He literally did and she kept ignoring and refusing to respond to it, what the gently caress is this probe

Edit: Let me manually rebuild the post again so mods who can't bear to look back and read the thread at all can have an easier job:

Harold Fjord posted:

You were asked directly about it at the time, you repeated it without addressing it

Pick posted:

That's what a lot of normal interviews of normal people suggested they got out of it also. If I heard my department was defunded at work I'd assume I was out of a job.

Pick posted:

Normal people hear "defund" and assume it means what the word means and end there. If a slogan were "Slaughter police dogs" I'd assume it meant police dogs dying. If it turns out it meant give police dogs a big party my first thought would be "then why did you use a word that means a different thing than that".

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think people ought to have an extremely low regard for the legitimacy of the electoral process. If that's accelerationism, so be it. We have to have a reckoning over it, and the further off it is the worse it's going to be.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Jewel Repetition posted:

At first I thought the refusal to accept the election results was funny but now it's feeling more like a bummer. Not just because this amount of distrust of the election process is so serious and could hurt our democracy, but because there are so many real ways we're screwed over by the government or lied to by the media that they could be focusing the energy on instead

It's still funny how Trump's narcissism rejects any possible chance that he actually lost the election. But definitely not "haha" funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

When someone uses language such as describing "normal people" in a racially charged way it does hurt and demean those that you're inferring to not be normal and it makes the forums a less welcoming place for them to post. That's bad. The correct course as someone doing something like that unintentionally is to at least refrain from using such language in the future and maybe even apologize.

I'm glad that SA is now a place where the users of this sort of harmful language can be called in and change their behavior, rather than being like the rest of the internet where minority voices are all too easily dismissed under the guise of "normal people don't care about that."