Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Absurd Alhazred posted:

In any country where rule of law is accepted (like the US, ostensibly), the onus of proof that a regulation should be changed is on the person asking to change it. :shrug:

In most of those countries, however, the onus of justifying regulations that limit what you can do rests with the state. Because technically every such regulation impacts the freedoms of the people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

silence_kit posted:

Dude, I think Spazzle's post is pretty reasonable. Spazzle is just explaining why this thread's knee-jerk ideology is naïve.

IMO, this thread is pretty weird--it is kind of like bizarro D&D. In this thread, government laws are just, by virtue of being government laws. However, every other thread in this forum mostly consists of complaining about the government's laws and policies. Also, in this thread, profit is good, and when a company is unprofitable it is bad. This is to be contrasted with the rest of D&D where profit is bad and profitable companies are literally evil. Finally, in this thread, it is commonly thought that over-investment in start-up companies has produced a lot of me-too companies which add no value. However, if you were to say the same thing about scientific research, government funding for the arts, etc, in other threads, you'd be shunned, and posters would swear up and down that that effect would be impossible and that there is all of this great scientific research and art which is being stifled by lack of investment and that more investment always means more output.

There's a big difference between "marijuana should be legal" and "i will pay you to sell marijuana in states where i know that is illegal, and start crying about regulation when you get caught and go to prison (i will pocket millions)".

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

haha wow so public safety regulations and worker protection and rights are now something d&d in general is against what world do you live in.

'I thought you were anti-establishment so that must mean you are anti all government'? People loving died for these regulations to be put in place after much wailing and gnashing of teeth and now all of a sudden it's a good idea to throw them away for the right of the 'honest entrepreneur' to make money? Taking the honky-bus straight back to the 1920s that seems like a grand idea.

edit: health and safety regulations and workers rights laws are paved on the bodies and miseries of ordinary people. 'Disrupting' them is morally reprehensible.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 9, 2016

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Does this thread ever talk about what the topic is supposed to be?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Be the change you want to see, friend.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Coolness Averted posted:

Be the change you want to see, friend.

Disrupt the thread.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I dunno man, I mean it seems at least 50% of these unicorns are where they are because they tried to ignore laws, regulations and, often, facts so it seems somewhat relevant especially when people go to bat for them for doing so for whatever reason. edit: sorry, I'm very tired and was just a bit blindsided by those posts.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 9, 2016

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Randler posted:

In most of those countries, however, the onus of justifying regulations that limit what you can do rests with the state. Because technically every such regulation impacts the freedoms of the people.

The justifications are implicitly recognized when the laws are passed, legislatures don't just pass laws "because". Now if you believe that the justifications are no longer valid, or never were in the first place then it should be trivial for you to provide evidence. If you can't then shut the gently caress up.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It got all tense in here. :ohdear:

NLJP posted:

I dunno man, I mean it seems at least 50% of these unicorns are where they are because they tried to ignore laws, regulations and, often, facts so it seems somewhat relevant especially when people go to bat for them for doing so for whatever reason. edit: sorry, I'm very tired and was just a bit blindsided by those posts.

50% seems pretty high. Other than Lyft and Uber, what $1B+ company is building a business around flouting the law?

Many (several) companies have indeed said "hey, nobody's doing X!" without reflecting on the fact that it's because X is illegal, but I can't think of any other than the two above who have achieved significant valuation.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

It got all tense in here. :ohdear:

50% seems pretty high. Other than Lyft and Uber, what $1B+ company is building a business around flouting the law?

Many (several) companies have indeed said "hey, nobody's doing X!" without reflecting on the fact that it's because X is illegal, but I can't think of any other than the two above who have achieved significant valuation.

AirBnB comes to mind immediately.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

rscott posted:

AirBnB comes to mind immediately.

Yes, good call.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Let's include Theranos, too.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

Let's include Theranos, too.

I don't think Theranos was saying "nobody is doing X" but was rather saying "we'll promise X but so much better that it would violate the laws of physics."

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I don't think Theranos was saying "nobody is doing X" but was rather saying "we'll promise X but so much better that it would violate the laws of physics."

I think they were exactly saying "nobody is doing fast, minimally-invasive testing", but sure. It's a fine line, I agree, but I don't think the difference is material to my argument.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

MickeyFinn posted:

In addition to what others have said, there is a world of difference between saying that X government law is bad for whatever reason and start-ups (or companies in general) can just do whatever they want without regard for the law.

I tend to just lurk this thread, but I actually do believe it can be reasonable to operate illegally in the face of unjust/irrelevant/stupid/anti-competitive/etc. laws. I imagine there are many people here that would disagree with that idea... but despite that, I rarely if ever see posters in here taking a "lawfulness above all" stance. People almost always argue on the merits of the law, e.g. "food safety regulations are a good idea, and shouldn't be skirted."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I tend to just lurk this thread, but I actually do believe it can be reasonable to operate illegally in the face of unjust/irrelevant/stupid/anti-competitive/etc. laws. I imagine there are many people here that would disagree with that idea... but despite that, I rarely if ever see posters in here taking a "lawfulness above all" stance. People almost always argue on the merits of the law, e.g. "food safety regulations are a good idea, and shouldn't be skirted."

The unstated assumption is that the laws are so obviously good that it's not necessary to defend their merit beforehand.

Like, not having random people in random kitchens cook your food with no inspections on quality is not a situation anyone wants to be in.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I don't think anyone should be profiting over law breaking. Civil disobedience is fine, but when you say "This law is unjust, and to demonstrate that, I will make money" your motives become suspect.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

computer parts posted:

Like, not having random people in random kitchens cook your food with no inspections on quality is not a situation anyone wants to be in.

It's interesting that scale is so important here, though. Every church potluck works as you describe, but the law doesn't care because, AIUI, it's non-commercial. It's not clear to me how the presence of money makes the health issues different.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Jumpingmanjim posted:

They try to but typically what happens is that some rear end in a top hat or some rear end in a top hat with a long-standing gimmick comes in and goes "BLURP! I'M A loving IDIOT! WHY DON'T THINGS WORK IN AN IDIOT WAY?! THINGS SHOULD!"

Then most folks, rather than just hitting the ignore button, spend the next several days or hours trying to convince them that they are, in fact, an idiot and that, no, things should not work in an idiotic way.

D&D should just be renamed to "Arguing with idiots who think they are smart." That would be too on-the-nose, though.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

It's interesting that scale is so important here, though. Every church potluck works as you describe, but the law doesn't care because, AIUI, it's non-commercial. It's not clear to me how the presence of money makes the health issues different.
At a minimum the church potluck has a shared goal of promoting a healthy community and not murdering each other. A commercial operation has a motive of "make money, who cares if someone gets sick".

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

twodot posted:

At a minimum the church potluck has a shared goal of promoting a healthy community and not murdering each other. A commercial operation has a motive of "make money, who cares if someone gets sick".

Ignoring the eye-rolling simplification of business, are you saying that the food standards are lessened for non-commercial cases because they believe that non-professional cooks are more careful out of benevolence?

Do you believe that a school bake sale is benevolent and therefore should be exempt from the food safety standards that currently, AIUI, apply to them as a commercial operation? Do they become less benevolent as they scale up?

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 9, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah that's how probability works. You making a single dish (even a big one) is still incredibly unlikely to be bad in any way. You making a couple hundred meals in a month, that makes issues a lot more likely to occur.

And even beyond that, there's an idea that food (or really anything) available to the public should be of higher quality than food that isn't. If you want to poison yourself in your kitchen, go ahead. Just don't have other people do it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

computer parts posted:

And even beyond that, there's an idea that food (or really anything) available to the public should be of higher quality than food that isn't. If you want to poison yourself in your kitchen, go ahead. Just don't have other people do it.

So how do you feel about bake sales?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Subjunctive posted:

You don't bake thousands of cookies every week.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx
Remember when Austin voted down the ordinance that Uber and Lyft wrote that was basically a blank check for them to ignore all city regulations? Remember when Uber and Lyft left, and various tech and financial media outlets (the ones most used to sucking VC cock) posted about how Austin would no longer be a tech hub because we dared to scorn those dear sweet unicorns?

Well, basically the exact opposite is happening.

quote:

With Uber and Lyft Gone, Ride-Hailing Startups Swarm Austin

When Uber and Lyft left Austin last month, they thought they were sending a message to the Austin City Council and other local governments looking to regulate them. Instead, their departure may pave the way for a revamp of ride-hailing in Austin that could draw the notice of other cities.

At least six new companies have launched in Austin, all emerging from the ashes of the Proposition 1 election that left the capital city without the two industry giants in vehicle-for-hire apps, which are also sometimes referred to as transportation networking companies.

"What Uber and Lyft have left us with appears to be the only open TNC market in a major city in the world, maybe," said Austin Mayor Steve Adler. "In the marketplace, when you have a monopoly, or in our case a duopoly, that leaves town, what you would expect to see in the market is innovation and competition. And that's what we're now seeing happening in Austin."

Uber and Lyft left Austin last month after a citywide vote killed Proposition 1, an ordinance the companies supported. The election came after a $9 million ad campaign from Uber and Lyft that littered the city with signs and mailers but didn't yield an election outcome in their favor.

The whole article is a pro-read, but basically Uber and Lyft helped sow the seeds of their new competition by throwing a fit and leaving Austin. It'll be interesting to see if they are dumb enough to stay out by the time SXSW rolls around, because if they don't then that means tens of thousands of tech-savvy people from around the country are going to be downloading and installing their competitors' apps to be able to get around during the event.

This will really reinforce the fact that Uber and Lyft don't really have as much of a moat as people think, and their network effects aren't going to be as insurmountable.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Subjunctive posted:

They are lower risk because the goods sold don't need refrigerated to avoid poisoning people.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

computer parts posted:

The unstated assumption is that the laws are so obviously good that it's not necessary to defend their merit beforehand.

re: CA food safety law, both the CA legislature and CA public health authorities are on board with changing CA's cottage food production law to incorporate the sort of production the company is facilitating. The bill will (probably) be passed in 2017.

computer parts posted:

Not even the company people are criticizing wants to be in that situation. :v:

Subjunctive posted:

Because capitalism.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

computer parts posted:

Josephine's individual kitchens don't either. They're producing food at best on the scale of like a church pasta dinner.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Subjunctive posted:

It's a clear incentive to ignore issues that might come up. "Hmm, this can of beans seems kinda... bloaty, I guess? But I'm not going to be able to fulfill the chilli orders without it, so in it goes and hope for the best!"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

computer parts posted:

Are you saying that you think Josephine should be exempt from food regulations if they limited their cooks to, say, two meals/day each? I don't see how having N meals produced by 1 person or by N people changes the calculus, other than to perhaps favour the fewer, more-practiced cooks. Many households cook 2 meals/day without foodborne illness issues for years at a stretch, so the probabilities seem viable.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

computer parts posted:

Let me tell you about my GF's grandmother...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Also an important note: any bakesale I know has gotten authority from the proper authorities before setting up. You aren't just allowed to plop your thing down on the sidewalk and make money.

(Yes, little kids do this and yes they are in violation of the law but you know why cops don't arrest them)

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Who gets to decide which laws are unjust/ irrelevant / anti-competitive ?
You are surely not suggesting that businesses should be able to ignore laws purely on the basis that they will make more money by doing that ?

Safety gear is expensive, who cares if we kill a few workers - ignore
Disposing of toxic waste properly , expensive - ignore
Maintaining buses / trucks to a safe standard , expensive - ignore

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Noam Chomsky posted:

They try to but typically what happens is that some rear end in a top hat or some rear end in a top hat with a long-standing gimmick comes in and goes "BLURP! I'M A loving IDIOT! WHY DON'T THINGS WORK IN AN IDIOT WAY?! THINGS SHOULD!"

Then most folks, rather than just hitting the ignore button, spend the next several days or hours trying to convince them that they are, in fact, an idiot and that, no, things should not work in an idiotic way.

D&D should just be renamed to "Arguing with idiots who think they are smart." That would be too on-the-nose, though.

Pro tier post / name combo.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Don't get too hung-up on "non-commercial," because yes, scale is specifically taken into account. Non-profit cafeterias and soup kitchens also have food safety regulations.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Subjunctive posted:

Ignoring the eye-rolling simplification of business, are you saying that the food standards are lessened for non-commercial cases because they believe that non-professional cooks are more careful out of benevolence?

Do you believe that a school bake sale is benevolent and therefore should be exempt from the food safety standards that currently, AIUI, apply to them as a commercial operation? Do they become less benevolent as they scale up?

No they become less benevolent when they change their focus, from for example "Make tasty food for my friends" to "Make as much money possible by selling food to strangers"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

computer parts posted:

Also an important note: any bakesale I know has gotten authority from the proper authorities before setting up.

They have the kitchens inspected and the cooks certified? Maybe it's stricter now, but in my youth parents just baked up a bunch of whatever and brought it in. I'm certain I never saw anyone testing the temperature of my mom's fridge. Similarly, I've never seen any inspections of the burger-and-dog shack at the local school's family carnival, though I've only helped with it once. I certainly wasn't given any instruction beyond "wash your hands after handling money"; we didn't even wear gloves.

I suspect that they give them a pass on that part because they're at small scale, but that seems a political ("war on bake sales!") rather than health-and-safety principled hole cut in the law.

The Real Foogla posted:

No they become less benevolent when they change their focus, from for example "Make tasty food for my friends" to "Make as much money possible by selling food to strangers"

Then why does it matter how many meals are prepared? The "1000 cookies/week" specter has been raised a few times.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

I'm not saying it's the sole reason, just a reason to distinguish those activities.

quote:

I'd be fine with applying whatever rules apply to bakeries to bake sales. I don't know what the current state of the law is with respect to that.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Subjunctive posted:

Are you saying that you think Josephine should be exempt from food regulations if they limited their cooks to, say, two meals/day each? I don't see how having N meals produced by 1 person or by N people changes the calculus, other than to perhaps favour the fewer, more-practiced cooks. Many households cook 2 meals/day without foodborne illness issues for years at a stretch, so the probabilities seem viable.

A dangerous cook cooking for their own family might poison 2 or 3 people, while bad it's not possible to have every home kitchen inspected. A dangerous cook cooking 100 meals a day could easily badly poison 20 or thirty people before they worked out where it came from which is why its worth the effort to inspect larger operations.

There are also very different practicalities when making enough food for just your family and enough food to sell, the main being storing the food safely until it reaches the customer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Have we reached a consensus about how many hotdogs a hotdog vendor needs to sell before food safety rules apply?

It is critical to my new Hotdogr app.