Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

fulvano's journey will just be following a trail of dead bodies, each one carrying an item once worn by fulvano
when you finally catch up with him all he has left are his boxers and if don't pass the speech check he'll insist on giving them to you

at which point you're attacked by werebears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

2house2fly posted:

Definitely go with the Doemenels. They don't believe anyone should have to pay for health care- so anyone who crosses them they kill outright- and they believe that the precious jewels hoarded by the rich elite should be redistributed among the common folk, to wit, the Doemenels.

Don't go with the Doemenels, because you can kill everyone in their house and loot them for an insane amount of gold. That place and the Skaen Money Pit usually signal the end to all of my financial troubles.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Are there weresharks in the game finally

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Scorchy posted:

Are there weresharks in the game finally

There shark

There castle

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
After having the game for a year and a half I finally finished it. It was a wild ride if dry at times but I feel like I want to have another go to try classes and companions I didn't really use on my first run. All of the sequel news is getting me excited too.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Been playing some POE1 again recently. I forgot how nice the music is and how it adds to each scene.

Well done to whomever did the music I guess.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So what other excellent RPGs scratch this itch but aren't by Obsidian? Aarklash Legacy a good game?

PLEASE play Age of Decadence. It's not really this exact style of game and it's much more indie and rough around the edges but it's extremely good and cool and interesting.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

age of decadence is cool imo but you need to be in a very specific mind set to play it.

getting killed in the first fight in the game because you didn't spec your character to combat will happen, because it turns out fighting 2 thugs in a back street with nothing but a knife will not work well for you.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Roobanguy posted:

age of decadence is cool but you need to be in a very specific mind set to play it.

getting killed in the first fight in the game because you didn't spec your character to combat will happen, because it turns out fighting 2 thugs in a back street with nothing but a knife will not work well for you.

Yeah if you want to play a game where combat is almost always an extremely lovely idea, but it's possible and tactical fun if you happen to be taking a path through the game that allows for it, age of decadence is a good game for you

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Under the vegetable posted:

Yeah if you want to play a game where combat is almost always an extremely lovely idea, but it's possible and tactical fun if you happen to be taking a path through the game that allows for it, age of decadence is a good game for you

i like how it keeps a score of the times you've survived ridiculous odds and lets you use that to convince people not to gently caress with you.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Going just by reviews seems like it's rpg codex, the game. Like quests designed to kill you unless you have x in a skill to progress, and if you don't, well you shouldn't have taken that quest (but the game doesn't tell you this beforehand).

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Avalerion posted:

Going just by reviews seems like it's rpg codex, the game. Like quests designed to kill you unless you have x in a skill to progress, and if you don't, well you shouldn't have taken that quest (but the game doesn't tell you this beforehand).

it is very much that.

it's a short 8ish hour game with a lot of ways to get through it, but it very much wants you to commit to a play style every playthrough and not really hybridize. that's not to say you can't be a hybrid character, but you have to have played the game a few times to know how to make one.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Feb 12, 2017

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Power Bottom posted:

rope kid, are there any plans to alter how Resting works, like choosing how long you want to Rest for? I'm already getting annoyed with waiting for things to happen (loot tables to roll over, keep things to finish building, ect), and given that PoE2 will have NPCs with specific schedules and such, I'm worried that a neat feature will turn into a frustrating one because we're locked in to resting for 8 hours at a time.

Until PoE2 comes out what you can do to make time progress faster is to travel far and wide. Just travel from one end of the world map to the other, that's 2 days gone. And there's no downside now that fatigue isn't tied to travel anymore.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Roobanguy posted:

it is very much that.

it's a short 8ish hour game with a lot of ways to get through it, but it very much wants you to commit to a play style every playthrough and not really hybridize. that's not to say you can't be a hybrid character, but you have to have played the game a few times to know how to make one.

Yeah, what excuses the design for me is that it's not meant to be an epic experience. It's a very short game contained around mostly one area and every playstyle gets dramatically different content, so it's mostly about puzzling out how the world works from various different angles and piecing together the implied background narrative from what you learn each time. It's really not for general audiences but if it sounds interesting to anyone I'd recommend they check it out.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Gamers ("gamers") ought not support Iron Tower. One bad game can be a fluke but they're 0 for 2 on overdesigned commercial RPGs. Also you need a middle-of-the-pack system to run games that would have looked dated 15 years ago. The Torque engine is indescribably bad.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Feb 12, 2017

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Both of their games are good sorry.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I didn't think Age of Decadence was a good game at all, but I'm not surprised that there are people out there who played the poo poo out of it. It's the kind of game you'd get if the design documents were penned by some members of the RPG Codex.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I played it very little, because it's a huge pain in the rear end to play, but it does a few very interesting things and is for that reason alone worth recommending to people who might be interested in its niche.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

DancingShade posted:

Been playing some POE1 again recently. I forgot how nice the music is and how it adds to each scene.

Well done to whomever did the music I guess.

Yeah, when the main theme came on during the PoE2 trailer, I was instantly excited for the game.

As for age of decadence, I played the demo years back and sort of enjoyed it but eventually having to save before I put skill points into anything, going forward, getting killed because I didn't have the specific number of points in the right skills, reloading and respeccing got old.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

@ropekid, will we see the Adra dragon if we let her live at the end of the Endless Paths?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

tithin posted:

@ropekid, will we see the Adra dragon if we let her live at the end of the Endless Paths?

Good question. She grew up in the hole in the ground and was willing to walk so of course I let her live.

The fact she was a big nasty scary monster that could kill me was completely beside the point. Ahem. Cough.

But yeah I let her live. Sorry random lady that was possessed, consider it the fantasy version of becoming a superhero or something I guess.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

DancingShade posted:

But yeah I let her live. Sorry random lady that was possessed, consider it the fantasy version of becoming a superhero or something I guess.

Not so much a random lady, the Adra Dragon targets her on purpose because she's a Dragon-slayer. It's a little bit machiavellian. A bit like if a Bishop was possessed by a demon.

There better be a follow up to that because 1) you don't get the Dragonslayer perk if you side with the Dragon 2) there's such a great potential for a follow up.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'd like to recruit the adra dragon possessed lady as my extra creepy person who hangs around in Stronghold Mk 2 since the old place fell down due to giant god thing.

Basically Morticia Adams. Or an adult Wednesday.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Furism posted:

Not so much a random lady, the Adra Dragon targets her on purpose because she's a Dragon-slayer. It's a little bit machiavellian. A bit like if a Bishop was possessed by a demon.

There better be a follow up to that because 1) you don't get the Dragonslayer perk if you side with the Dragon 2) there's such a great potential for a follow up.

You also don't get the talent if you just kill the dragon for attacking your castle multiple times, without ever meeting Falanroed.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Real adventurers dont need that talent to kill all the dragons in the game

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Basic Chunnel posted:

Gamers ("gamers") ought not support Iron Tower. One bad game can be a fluke but they're 0 for 2 on overdesigned commercial RPGs. Also you need a middle-of-the-pack system to run games that would have looked dated 15 years ago. The Torque engine is indescribably bad.

Ah so Age Of Decadence does have something in common with Pillars Of Eternity :smuggo:

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

frajaq posted:

Real adventurers dont need that talent to kill all the dragons in the game

Real adventurers play on TCS. :colbert:

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I love Age of Decadence. One of few games that really take the choices & consequence thing and makes it the "front and center" of the game.

Should really get Dungeon Rats one of these days even though I'm not the biggest fan of dungeon crawlers.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I have never had any desire to do a triple crown solo or iron man run – and I enjoy a good challenge in Pillars. Losing a save after 25 hours in does not seem like fun.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Entropy238 posted:

I have never had any desire to do a triple crown solo or iron man run – and I enjoy a good challenge in Pillars. Losing a save after 25 hours in does not seem like fun.

get out normie

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

PoE2 should check your Steam achievement page upon start-up and instantly deinstall itself if you don't have The Ultimate. What's even the point of playing the game if you have to share it with filthy casuals?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

frajaq posted:

get out normie

That feel when I die 25 hours in and my save is deleted:

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

tithin posted:

Someone, either here or on another board, has put this image into my head of the Adra Dragon desperately clinging to the statue's foot like a scared cat if you never descended deep enough to meet her.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I am making my way through BG2 for the first time, and after spending a while in Athkatla, I do feel a bit overwhelmed at times. I can really appreciate the amount of content the game has, and I am sure I will enjoy making my way through it all, but I have trouble keeping it all organized in my head. What sucks is without the aggressively scripted NPCs, you will miss out of stuff that you would have enjoyed otherwise. It seems impossible to find a balance that everyone will be happy with.

Also I apparently lost Anomen permanently when I was juggling party members and needed him to be sidelined for a few minutes. Oh well.

Fake Edit: The Beyond Infinity thread is basically dead, so I hope no one minds me posting about my BG2 playthrough here.

funmanguy fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 12, 2017

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
While I don't think anyone minds, there's a Infinity Engine games thread specifically for those.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
You people are masochists

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

tithin posted:

If you gave her a new body, she wanders off exploring the world, so I'd almost guarentee it in that case.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Incidentally: Pallegina for Best NPC because Wrath Of The Five Suns is not even remotely loving around.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Gahh, I'm so conflicted on what save state I want to import into POE2 for my companions. I am for sure going to have Mayor Eder and an Aloth who's been dismantling the Leaden Key with Iselmyr in his head on my boat, but I don't know about Kind Wayfarer Pallegina. Having her remain in the brotherhood just feels more right, even though the republics (or at least that chiseling, shortsighted ambassador :argh:) are really unworthy of her.

Guess I have an excuse to do another playthrough :duckie:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

moot the hopple posted:

Gahh, I'm so conflicted on what save state I want to import into POE2 for my companions. I am for sure going to have Mayor Eder and an Aloth who's been dismantling the Leaden Key with Iselmyr in his head on my boat, but I don't know about Kind Wayfarer Pallegina. Having her remain in the brotherhood just feels more right, even though the republics (or at least that chiseling, shortsighted ambassador :argh:) are really unworthy of her.

Guess I have an excuse to do another playthrough :duckie:

The Vailian Republics are horrible imperialists out to make profit at any cost, the Kind Wayfarers actually seem like nice people. You're doing her a favour getting her thrown out. (Maybe.)

• Locked thread