Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

scary ghost dog posted:

dont kill him before you find a couple of nameless bodies on the landing or you get locked out of something else

huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mephistopheles i think?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

skasion posted:

Mephistopheles...

...is not your name. I know what you're up to just the same....

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

skasion posted:

Mephistopheles i think?

If you kill Yurt while he's still in Latria, all you miss out are the handful of soul items from the nameless corpses, and I think it also fucks with your tendency in 3-2. You never miss out on Mephistopheles.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

skasion posted:

Mephistopheles i think?

You don't miss out. Waiting is not required.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
if you kill yurt as soon as you get back to the nexus mephistopheles does not spawn. he has to have already killed the unnamed npcs that didnt exist before he got there

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
You can kill him anytime anywhere.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

scary ghost dog posted:

if you kill yurt as soon as you get back to the nexus mephistopheles does not spawn. he has to have already killed the unnamed npcs that didnt exist before he got there

You can kill him immediately and Meph still spawns.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
thats not my experience, but maybe im misremembering.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
Meph also requires pure black character tendency to spawn, not just killing Yurt

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I really, really thought there would be a 3rd Maneater.

Also, that shotel assassin guy was a pushover.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I really, really thought there would be a 3rd Maneater.

Also, that shotel assassin guy was a pushover.

Congrats, you beat the toughest boss(es) in the game!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

eonwe posted:

Demons Souls bosses are all sort of gimmick fights if you compare them to the more straightforward bosses in other Souls games but I think they're really neat

Yeah they tried this one more time with Bed of Chaos, then got scared off by all the criticism :smith: you didn't have to go that hard & fast From!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah they tried this one more time with Bed of Chaos, then got scared off by all the criticism :smith: you didn't have to go that hard & fast From!

On other hand it feels like half of base Dks3 bosses are gimmicks as opposed to combat challenges.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
Bed of Chaos isn't criticised for being a gimmick boss, it's criticised for being a mess

I do like the odd gimmick boss but I kinda wish Demon's Souls had a few more straightforward fights. The 4 or 5 it does have are great. I'm the worst at fighting Flamelurker (it's always the boss that completely walls me out for 10+ attempts, regardless of my build, and how many times I've fought him over the years), and taking him down always feels like overcoming a major obstacle

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Raylax posted:

Bed of Chaos isn't criticised for being a gimmick boss, it's criticised for being a mess

Yeah, this.

I seem to recall reading an interview where someone suggested BoC was originally much more interesting, and spawned different enemy types as the fight progressed - which would have been cool as it would have tied into the Lore bit about her being the mother of all demons or whatever- but they just couldn't get it finished before release, so we got....what we got.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
I can't remember where I heard it (it might have been on one of Yahtzee's old Drown Outs?), but I remember someone suggesting that the way to instantly fix Bed of Chaos is to have a room under the arena like that one Link to the Past boss, rather than an instant death pit. You still take a chunk of damage from being swept by the arms (and maybe also fall damage), but it's not guaranteed death and you can just climb back up to the arena. Maybe put some respawning skeletons or whatever's lore-appropriate down there too, or have BoC stab down into the room if you linger too long, so it's not just a breather spot.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Bed of Chaos was remade into a Dragon God lite because they hadn’t finished the original boss design, which had wings and slowly crawled around. Looks like it would have been more like Gaping Dragon

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah, generally any bit of a souls game where the main cause of death is falling off stuff is pretty bad. When Sekiro had a fall do about a third of your health bar in damage that felt like a very positive change - it's still a hit you want to avoid, but it's not an annoying insta-death that encourages you to move as little as possible and block everything.

Hopefully Elden Ring follows the Sekiro model for falls.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I love Bed of Chaos.

I actually really dig the gimmick fights in these games. It is always a pleasant mix up and Demons Souls has some of the best bosses because of it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I usually like the gimmick fights but not BoC

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Gort posted:

Hopefully Elden Ring follows the Sekiro model for falls.
Well we know Elden Ring has a jump button like Sekiro does so it would follow. Fingers crossed.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

VideoGames posted:

I love Bed of Chaos.

You're a mod here, you don't need to stress how weird and masochistic you are, we already know.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I just had a dream where I got banned for saying "I unironically like Lost Izalith" :tinfoil:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

You're a mod here, you don't need to stress how weird and masochistic you are, we already know.

Hahaha

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I just had a dream where I got banned for saying "I unironically like Lost Izalith" :tinfoil:

As long as I am mod this will not happen because Lost Izalith and Demon Ruins are my favourite areas in Dark Souls. :hai:

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

VideoGames posted:

As long as I am mod this will not happen because Lost Izalith and Demon Ruins are my favourite areas in Dark Souls. :hai:

The dream has become a nightmare...

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Finally found some time to get back to DeS, and just beat Tower Knight on third try. Giving him a huge bonk to the head was very satisfying.

I'm still getting distracted by all these awesome graphics, like my mind goes "wow look at this awesome blue lightning bolt effects....which just hit you....". My eyes still can't take this all in fast enough. I need more eyes on the outside.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

VideoGames posted:

Hahaha

why though, they're just stonework and a zillion firebreathing statues

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Is it just my memory being hazy or is the "whack on his shins til he falls" strat on Tower Knight a lot less effective? My first attempt on the remake was a slog costing me my entire stash of healing items and he never went down once before he killed me - I saw his legs leaking energy too, he just never fell lol.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
didn't take me terribly long to knock him down, did take me a few tries to get the rhythm of dodging the shield slam AOEs. Armor spider is still giving me far more guff than tower knight
oh. and I guess my experience was whack him in the ankles/calves, not his shins. maybe that?

edit: wow. levelling up enough to get the strength for the purple flame shield really made the spider into a cakewalk

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 27, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Deified Data posted:

Is it just my memory being hazy or is the "whack on his shins til he falls" strat on Tower Knight a lot less effective? My first attempt on the remake was a slog costing me my entire stash of healing items and he never went down once before he killed me - I saw his legs leaking energy too, he just never fell lol.

Worked okay for me

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I like the Angkor Wat design of Lost Izalith but it definitely feels underdeveloped

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

whats up with the lava dinosaur butts anyway. they're just there and you never kill them or anything.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

whats up with the lava dinosaur butts anyway. they're just there and you never kill them or anything.

In the original unpatched release they had a way bigger aggro range

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Anyway they're probably the resurrected asses of undead dragons like the ones in valley of drakes and the painted world.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
omg I laughed my rear end off immediately getting blown up by the explosive mine carts

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It's the "poo poo we've got 2 weeks to deadline and there's nothing down here yet" school of game design

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

hazardousmouse posted:

omg I laughed my rear end off immediately getting blown up by the explosive mine carts

I did the exact same thing. Just my smooth brain going “ooh shiny” and getting blasted to hell.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Whelp a game crash taught me I can shut off the game rather than run the gauntlet to get back to a boss so guess I'm savescumming now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

hazardousmouse posted:

Whelp a game crash taught me I can shut off the game rather than run the gauntlet to get back to a boss so guess I'm savescumming now

You can do some wild stuff with game exits. There's the basic "run past 600 enemies to a safe place and exit and re-enter the game so the enemies stop chasing you and go back to their original positions". Then there's the crazy, "jump off a fatally-high ledge, hover over the game exit button until you hear yourself hit the ground, then exit and reenter the ground to find yourself safely at the bottom of the drop".