Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

PoptartsNinja posted:

I made it partly to plot out a little writing, and partly for fun.

Anyway, since everyone knows my name now I suppose I can finally go ahead and link my short story, via Sarna.net :3:

Am I an idiot or is that not actually on BattleCorps? I was looking here: http://www.battlecorps.com/BC2/fiction.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

terminal mehmet posted:

Am I an idiot or is that not actually on BattleCorps? I was looking here: http://www.battlecorps.com/BC2/fiction.html

That's their sample page. Most of the fiction (including PDFs of most of the novels) is accessible via subscription service.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Just dropping this here so I don't get poo poo about it later: I have 15 ammo left for it and enough heat sinks to alpha strike and not give a gently caress, so I'm firing in Ultra mode from here on out.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

SageNytell posted:

Just dropping this here so I don't get poo poo about it later: I have 15 ammo left for it and enough heat sinks to alpha strike and not give a gently caress, so I'm firing in Ultra mode from here on out.

We're in some pretty deep poo poo, so going hog wild is a good idea.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Let’s Read: D.R.T. Part 9: Would something please happen already?

Chapter 14
Mercenary Garrison District
Wolcott, Draconis Combine
15 March 3057

D.R.T. posted:

The next two weeks passed in little more than a blur of training for all the Black Thorns, but especially for Rose.

Unfortunately, they won’t pass that quickly for me because I have to read about all of it after it’s already happened. On the plus side, we learn that Ria’s logistical genius only extends to numbers and she’s piss poor at predicting what the Black Thorns will actually need.

So, she’s kinda a really terrible logistical genius; but we knew that already.

We then get to hear all about how Rose spends his relaxation time. We’re not even off the first page of this chapter yet and it’s already looking to be interminably long. This is also the chapter that introduces Sinclair Danes, the Captain of the dropship who’s going to be taking the Black Thorns on their suicide mission. Also, his dropship the Tracy K is a piece of poo poo.

Sinclair is an pirate gone semi-legit, and I’d have to say he’s my favorite new character in the book.

D.R.T. posted:

Rather than the standard coveralls Rose associated with all DropShip crews, the man wore black work pants and a red shirt open to the waist. He studied Rose for a moment, pulling gently on his thin mustache. Then he smiled and began to pick his way down through the unstable debris.

Rose wastes no time antagonizing him. Or rather, Sinclair wastes no time giving Rose a ton of poo poo. Captain Morgan Sinclair then pours Rose a glass of Captain Morgan and the two get down to business, Rose having already decided to find a different DropShip (spoiler: he fails). Rose then insults the Tracy K, and Sinclair chews a new rear end in a top hat right next to Rose’s belly button. The Tracy K isn’t his ship, he’d never allow his ship to fall under such disrepair.

D.R.T. posted:

“By the way,” said Rose, “does this ship have a name? My people will want to know.”

Danes paused and slowly nodded. “She’s called the Tracy K,” he said.

“Nice name. Does it mean anything special?” Rose asked.

Danes’ eyes began to mist slightly as he stared at Rose. “Not a thing,” he replied in a tight voice. “Why do you ask?”

I like Sinclair Danes.

Chapter 15
29 March 3057

McCloud tells Rose that Danes used to be a pirate in this chapter; and that his wife died hauling around some of the Lyran Guards. End of Danes’ character arc.

McCloud then spends a good six pages explaining to Jeremiah Rose where pirates come from.

Chapter 16
Drop Training Zone Bravo
13 July 3057

Danes goes crazy and shoots Rose out an airlock! They drop from orbit into a combat zone pew pew pew!

Except not really because it’s just training. gently caress. We’re still three chapters from anything actually interesting happening. Rose and company complete an orbital insertion successfully, wasting a few million c-bills in the process. Hooray. It’s no wonder he’s going broke

Chapter 17
15 July 3057

The launch date has been moved up! Thank god, I really couldn’t stand another four chapters of nothing loving happening. We learn more about their liaison officer Myoto this chapter, but she’s pretty irrelevant. I miss Sinclair Danes already. Badicus has still only had two-ish lines. This book hates its best characters.

At least Chu-i Myoto is sympathetic because she’s actually a piss-poor Mechwarrior who barely graduated from military school. Speaking of Badicus, he gets a line this chapter! But it’s poo poo. It’s like the author forgot he was a badass Scottsman.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

How do you forget that when his name is "Badicus O'Shea" exactly? That's like naming a character "Casanova Von Sexhaver" and forgetting he gets on people all the time.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Nickname him "Cass" and make him wear a fedora and the problem solves itself.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Holy crap, I just realized this thread's been going steady for over 2 years now. :psyduck:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

W.T. Fits posted:

Holy crap, I just realized this thread's been going steady for over 2 years now. :psyduck:

It constitutes about 40% of all the posts I have made on this site ever.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

2 years, and the maps have changed!

And I like the changes in the map. Although the Davion controlled area is a bit too big. Demesne limit and all that. The Duchy of New Syrtis is a wonderful initiative. There should be more of those.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

SIGSEGV posted:

And I like the changes in the map. Although the Davion controlled area is a bit too big. Demesne limit and all that. The Duchy of New Syrtis is a wonderful initiative. There should be more of those.

What Davion-controlled area? :tinfoil:

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Big ups to Golden Grasshoppers.

Edit: oh look at me, replying to old posts after having a reply open for 2 hours while I did stuff. :V

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
I'm sure the Clans will fix that Territory Bloat the Davions have right quick.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with everything going Hanse.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

KnoxZone posted:

You never go full Hanse.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Orders in! Let's fry up some bugs and pixies!

SageNytell fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 24, 2013

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

KnoxZone posted:

Imagine a world where everyone is written by Stackpole. All words, everywhere, written by Stackpole. Where main characters are made "interesting" by telling you that they are really good at everything and you should care about them. Where flaws are "being bad at things the book goes out of its way to demonize." Just imagine a human mouth vomiting terrible words... forever. That's what would happen.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
A brief chronological review of BattleTech protagonists:

1) Grayson Death Carlyle: Dick. Grayson. Secretly Batman. Has space cancer.
2) Ardan Sortek: Sir Lancelot
3) Justin Xiang-Allard: [Spoilers]
4) Minobu Tetsuhara: The great black Samurai AKA the best character.
5) Takashi Kurita: The second best Samurai ever
6) Phelan Kell-Wolf-Ward-Kell / Victor Steiner-Davion / Kai Allard-Liao: The Three Hyphen Stooges. Also whiny as gently caress
7) Aidan Pryde: Batshit insane, even for a Clanner. Commits literal incest rather than simple figurative incest.
8) Brian Cameron: Wolf Dragoon staff officer, sleeps with the secret female clone of his boss Jaime Wolf.
9) Nelson Geist: Placeholder character inserted when Michael A. Stackpole was told he couldn't go back and flesh out Katrina Steiner's adventures as the Red Corsair, rape victim.
10) Paul Masters: Professional idealist, duke of Gibson, indirectly responsible for teaching the Word of Blake how to properly nuke the hell out of people.
11) Jeremiah loving Rose
12) Tetatae
13) Kai Allard-Liao: has gotten even whinier since we last saw him, accomplishes nothing except for enticing some Clan Elementals to break the Truce. The Jade Falcons never exploit this loophole because
14) Cassiopeia Suthorn: 10 years before the Cassandra Cain Batgirl, there was Cassie Suthorn. She kills `Mechs with tripwires and rockslides and has pencak silat fights with Ninjas. Actually LOSES fights from time to time.
15) Katherine Steiner-Davion: Somehow a worse leader than her brother Victor
16) Star Colonel Joanna: Kills Natasha Kerensky with her Jump Jets because the plot mandated Natasha "The Black Widow" Romanov Kerensky finally be killed off
17) Loren Jaffray: The worst Death Commando in history becomes a Northwind Highlander. Remember: the Highlanders rejected Jeremiah Rose so Loren is at least a better person than a Word of Blake programmed robot sociopath.
18) Duncan Kalma: NotHan Solo. Assembles a crack team of people who are better than he is at everything except being an rear end in a top hat.
19) Vladimir Ward: Magnificent Bastard
20) Grayson Death Carlyle: Is still dying of space cancer.
21) Marcus GioAvanti: Jeremiah Rose, except interesting and creative and he loses most of the fights his stupidity gets him into.
22) Aris Sung: Tries to convince the reader that "terrorist is just another word for Freedom Fighter" whilst being a self-admitted terrorist.
23) Mechwarrior Trent: Wakes up one day to find his entire Clan has been loving him up the rear end for the past 25 years, tells the Inner Sphere how to reach the Clan Homeworlds. Joins Word of Blake ComStar Word of loving Blake :ssh:.
24) Victor Steiner-Davion: Manages to be a marginally better General than he is a statesman. In other words, he's a terrible general.
25) Mechwarrior Horse: Commits 'interesting character suicide' by having a book written from his perspective, the Jade Falcons remain batshit insane.
26) Diana Pryde: Her name is an anagram of Aidan Pryde. She is his daughter-by-incest with his actual sister Peri. She is very likely the most egregious Mary Sue in BattleTech history and I like to pretend she doesn't exist.
27) Sun Tzu-Liao: Is a magnificent rear end in a top hat
28) Some other Clan guys who cares this is all lead-up to the FedCom Civil War
29) Archer Christifori: The most boring character since Adam Steiner. Teams up with Adam Steiner to accomplish
30) Peter Steiner-Davion: Kinda less terrible than Victor? But not really.
31) Grayson Death Carlyle: finally dies of space cancer goddamn
32) Victor Steiner-Davion: finally successfully fucks up the Inner Sphere so badly the novel line gets canceled before the Word of Blake Jihad can begin.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I love that they finally made Sun-Tzu Liao one of the best characters in the setting once he rose to power in the Capellan Confederation. I always felt bad for him in the stupid Stackpole books, because Kai and Victor and everyone just poo poo all over him constantly for not being a warrior. Like, yeah, he's kind of a jerk (because your dads loving shitstomped his kingdom, like, 15 minutes ago); but Victor especially smugs about how he's a terrible mech pilot and poo poo. Yeah, no kidding rear end in a top hat, he's a terrible mechwarrior because he's actually been trained to play politics and run a loving space empire you arrogant self-centered twat. Seeing VSD ultimately fail to do anything useful while Sun-Tzu kicked the poo poo out of Candance made me so happy.

Edit: Let's not forget Marthe (seriously, how do you say her name? Marth? Martha? Marth-eh?) Pryde. Workaholic leader of the Falcons that somehow decided to just let the Scientist Caste form a massive army and start a rebellion because, "better the devil you know" I guess? She had about a million chances to shut the whole thing down because Ettiennenenenene Ballsack (p sure that's his name) ran everything personally with effectively no information given to anyone else, but nooooooooooo, let's not do that.

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 25, 2013

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I've defended Peter at length a number of times, and if need be I can repeat. But I don't think he was ever a main character?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Defiance Industries posted:

I've defended Peter at length a number of times, and if need be I can repeat. But I don't think he was ever a main character?

I was stretching partly because the last 10 or so books are "Victor Steiner-Davion tries to keep his crumbling realm together" and Archer Christifori turns up a lot. Peter's not really the main character, but they were trying to establish him as a good alternative to Victor/Katherine. Yvonne they never elevated above "a more useless version of young Melissa Steiner" though.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm a little late on this one, but didn't the Wolfhound get to fight on one leg at Luthien? It was one of the highlights of the mission!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Voyager I posted:

I'm a little late on this one, but didn't the Wolfhound get to fight on one leg at Luthien? It was one of the highlights of the mission!

That was Somerset, and yes.

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010
Orders in. Let's keep being an annoying little fly.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

11) Jeremiah loving Rose

26) Diana Pryde: Her name is an anagram of Aidan Pryde. She is his daughter-by-incest with his actual sister Peri. She is very likely the most egregious Mary Sue in BattleTech history and I like to pretend she doesn't exist.

Papa PoptartNinja, can you please read us this story after you're done with Jeremiah loving Rose? Pretty please, with a cherry on top.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Dr.Oblivious posted:

Papa PoptartNinja, can you please read us this story after you're done with Jeremiah loving Rose? Pretty please, with a cherry on top.

The Donner bomb was good for something.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Dr.Oblivious posted:

Tis basically the sequel to the Jade Phoenix trilogy.

Also, didn't Trent get his rear end killed when fighting with the Nova Cats against... somebody (which also wiped out their Kahns, and led to a Kurita being Kahn)?

I remember Stackpole giving him all of a half second in the book where Victor ruined a Dire Wolf against an elemental(then beheading the same elemental with a katana... I forget why he had a katana but I'm drunk right now so).

Also, does Fredrick Steiner get a note? I mean the guy did manage to force the Word of Blake/Comstar break up, and smash the Clans at Tukkyid.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Dr.Oblivious posted:

The book she appears in and one similar to it infuriate me like no other BT product does. It's labeled as Book 8 of the current running story. The prior installment had the Great Refusal and Victor loving up and getting Focht's job despite it. Falcon Rising sounds like its going to follow up on that considering the Falcons won their Refusal and can invade at will, right?

WRONG. it has nothing to do with any of the plot threads in the prior book. It's Robert Thurston doing the same thing he did in every novel, which was masturbate to Jade Falcon "greatness" which in this case is beating up Steel Vipers. What angers me about this book specifically is that it is listed as a spine novel, explicitly to trick people like me into buying it.

gently caress that book, and gently caress Robert Thurston. I hope he's homeless and selling his rear end for cough syrup.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Defiance Industries posted:

The book she appears in and one similar to it infuriate me like no other BT product does. It's labeled as Book 8 of the current running story. The prior installment had the Great Refusal and Victor loving up and getting Focht's job despite it. Falcon Rising sounds like its going to follow up on that considering the Falcons won their Refusal and can invade at will, right?

WRONG. it has nothing to do with any of the plot threads in the prior book. It's Robert Thurston doing the same thing he did in every novel, which was masturbate to Jade Falcon "greatness" which in this case is beating up Steel Vipers. What angers me about this book specifically is that it is listed as a spine novel, explicitly to trick people like me into buying it.

gently caress that book, and gently caress Robert Thurston. I hope he's homeless and selling his rear end for cough syrup.

Wasn't there also a big point about her winning her daddies bloodname? And Thurstons favorite character (Aidens #2 who never gets a bloodname and also was his former teacher) plays her combat instructor?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Joanna AND Horse both trained her IIRC. That said, I won't have a thing said against Joanna - she was a badass mechwarrior and drill sergeant in the finest R. Lee Ermy tradition with zero personality skills beside "piss everyone off".

And it held her back for her entire life. Probably the most realistic depiction of the Clan ideal in the fluff.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Voyager I posted:

There's a difference difference between Somerset and this mission that makes me not want to track anything more complex than mission kills. See if you can spot it.

Dr.Oblivious posted:

I would, but I lost my copy of that book. Lost it right into a garbage can. To put that in perspective, I have my copy of Far Country sitting on the 'shelf of shame' on my bookcase.

I would read it for you but I'd have to find another copy, but I think I can sum it up without too much trouble:

Diana: I am good at everything!
Horse: Your dad was better. I'll teach you to be more like him.
Diana: I am even better at everything!
Khan Marthe Pryde: Your dad was better. Want his bloodname?
Diana Pryde: I have his bloodname now, I am the kwisatz haderach Freeborn-Trueborn!
Joanna: Your dad was better AND I HATED HIM FOR IT. Let me teach you to be less stupid than he was.
Diana Pryde: I am even better at being better at everything!
Khan Marthe Pryde: Khan Zalman's cheated us of our honourere for the last time, let's go kick the Steel Vipers out of our occupation zone!
Diana Pryde: OK! :downs:
Diana Pryde: I have singlehandedly kicked the Steel Vipers out of our occupation zone! Hooray for me!
Joanna: Your dad was better.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I would say that it should have been burned, but they probably soaked the pages in some poison just because.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

PoptartsNinja posted:

I would, but I lost my copy of that book. Lost it right into a garbage can.

I can help with this :getin:

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe
Which one is this now? Freebirth? I've got it sitting right there on the shelf. I'm not really all that tempted to pick it up though. Even the cover is underwhelming.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

propatriamori posted:

Which one is this now? Freebirth? I've got it sitting right there on the shelf. I'm not really all that tempted to pick it up though. Even the cover is underwhelming.

Freebirth was terrible for many reasons (it ruined Horse as a character). Falcon Rising was worse.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Nothing like reading an article about Jagermechs on The Mittani and automatically knowing you wrote it. This LP has run so long that I can recognize your writing style with ease :v:.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ahahah PTN apparently you're "like Michael A. Stackpole good", according to your first fan.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

KnoxZone posted:

Nothing like reading an article about Jagermechs on The Mittani and automatically knowing you wrote it. This LP has run so long that I can recognize your writing style with ease :v:.

It saying "by PoptartsNinja" at the top doesn't hurt either :V

Keru fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 25, 2013

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Diana: I am good at everything!
Horse: Your dad was better. I'll teach you to be more like him.
Diana: I am even better at everything!
Khan Marthe Pryde: Your dad was better. Want his bloodname?
Diana Pryde: I have his bloodname now, I am the kwisatz haderach Freeborn-Trueborn!
Joanna: Your dad was better AND I HATED HIM FOR IT. Let me teach you to be less stupid than he was.
Diana Pryde: I am even better at being better at everything!
Khan Marthe Pryde: Khan Zalman's cheated us of our honourere for the last time, let's go kick the Steel Vipers out of our occupation zone!
Diana Pryde: OK! :downs:
Diana Pryde: I have singlehandedly kicked the Steel Vipers out of our occupation zone! Hooray for me!
Joanna: Your dad was better.

Joanna is really the best character because she can see that everyone else is a total idiot and has no compunctions in telling them so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Keru posted:

It saying "by PoptartsNinja" at the top doesn't hurt either :V

Who pays attention to those things?

• Locked thread