Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Yet the wound still remains, because I've been rubbing the proverbial salt. It's a huge trauma on fan consciousness.

"A good film"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Yet the wound still remains, evident by how I've managed to rub in the proverbial salt. It's a huge trauma on fan consciousness.

I'm beginning to agree with BotL on this.

MoS exposing me to his posts on MoS is really loving traumatic

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Goffer posted:

"A good film"

Like all good art, a truly good and memorable film is a sort of trauma. This is why people still haven't gotten over A New Hope, a movie that's almost forty years old (even if they maybe should).

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 20, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm beginning to agree with BotL on this.

MoS exposing me to his posts on MoS is really loving traumatic

The most important thing to do when interacting with BotL is: never get mad. Use his opinions, bullshit as they may be, to try and see things from another point of view and reanalyze your assumptions on media in general. But always remember that his objective is getting a rise out of you, and that if you fall for it, you're the idiot, not him.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Calling me a Socratic gadfly is a bit too much flattery.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

paradoxGentleman posted:

The most important thing to do when interacting with BotL is: never get mad. Use his opinions, bullshit as they may be, to try and see things from another point of view and reanalyze your assumptions on media in general. But always remember that his objective is getting a rise out of you, and that if you fall for it, you're the idiot, not him.

You're giving them too much credit, they're just lifting these straight from SMG. Down to the Star Wars mention.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

mycot posted:

You're giving them too much credit, they're just lifting these straight from SMG. Down to the Star Wars mention.

I try to see the best in people.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

mycot posted:

I am shocked that only one guy has ever thought that cinema was a visual art.

e: I mean gently caress, you should really just consider what's so goddamn outrageous about what I posted. Like the suggestion that Snyder has straight-forward plots in his movies, which people find bewildering.

Snyder is the man that directed 300, and saying that he's straight-forward is now controversial.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 20, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They aren't straight forward though?

Straight forward is-

Superman fights zod, wrecks the city. Batman sees this and considers him a threat. Superman doesn't believe he is a threat. Batman challenges Superman. Batman fights Superman, Superman doesn't want too, but does because Batman could kill him.

Adding Lex, Martha, Lois, a boat, Flash cameo....makes it less straight forward. It's not hard to understand, but it's needlessly convoluted.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 20, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
That all just extends the story, basically. Your average issue of More than Meets the Eye is more convoluted than BvS.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh my god, stop loving arguing with BotL

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That all just extends the story, basically. Your average issue of More than Meets the Eye is more convoluted than BvS.

I don't know what that is, but if it's like Beavis it's probably bad.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Calling me a Socratic gadfly is a bit too much flattery.

Hmm yes quite

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MrAristocrates posted:

Yes please. If you think the dumb posts are just dumb posts then by all means carry on. But if you feel the dumb posts are trolling, then just stop responding.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I don't know where "Beavis" came from but I'm amused by it.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Like all good art, a truly good and memorable film is a sort of trauma. This is why people still haven't gotten over A New Hope, a movie that's almost forty years old (even if they maybe should).

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. It totally ignores that it's possible for movies to be FUN and also be good.

Edit: Saw X-O's post so I won't argue anymore, instead will just be sad that the 60 new posts I saw weren't more fantasy casting of who Willam Dafoe is going to be :(

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

MrAristocrates posted:

Listen to this man. When you cannot be trolled, you are free.

Anyway, I think Civil War will make 750+ million dollars and will contain hints about a future villain who is not Thanos (!).

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 20, 2016

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

X-O posted:

I like that Batman v Superman is so lackluster in every way that the discussions have turned back to recycling the same tired stuff that has come up almost weekly since 2013 about Man of Steel.

I'm so sorry. I was only making a joke about the BvS Twitter using quotes from random people to prop up their movie I didn't mean to derail things into more Man of Steel talk. :(

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Anyway, I think Civil War will make 750+ million dollars and will contain hints about a future villain who is not Thanos (!).

They already confirmed yesterday that the MCU's biggest villain, Joss Whedon, will return.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Crossbones and Ross both work for Red Skull... who works for Thanos.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

site posted:

Crossbones and Ross both work for Red Skull... who works for Thanos.

They will have set up for Black Panther and his villain just like Avengers: Age of Ulton. Wonder if they are going to make Ross evil.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jamesman posted:

I'm so sorry. I was only making a joke about the BvS Twitter using quotes from random people to prop up their movie I didn't mean to derail things into more Man of Steel talk. :(

Well upon further inspection it seems to be their primary social media ad campaign now and has been for a little bit.

https://twitter.com/BatmanvSuperman/status/718127524358672384

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

X-O posted:

Well upon further inspection it seems to be their primary social media ad campaign now and has been for a little bit.

That's even sadder.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

X-O posted:

What happens if you tweet negative things about the film? I'd think they'd just set up a bot to create these, and its not some marketing intern doing them manually.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

As far as I can tell the trauma comes from the subversion of expectations. While the subversion of expectations is sometimes a powerful tool for an artist to use, it usually works best when subverting the expectation with something more powerful and memorable. In the Empire Strikes Back for example, audiences were expecting a fun space romp with the good guys winning, which did not happen with the major characters suffering through various losses but which built on the characters' depth and motivations, and the subversion only really works because of the previous film providing that expectation.

However, with MoS and BvS, the expectation was that the movies were going to be good, when the movie was actually bad. The trauma associated with that switcharoo does not make the art suddenly good again.

There was a study done recently where it was found that people with botox can't mirror the facial expression of people and therefore find it hard to empathise or relate emotionally to another person. In fact, one of the main ways we feel emotion and empathy is generally though mirroring the facial expressions of others. Maybe it's superman's golemlike gorm throughout the movies makes the viewer less able to actually feel anything for him or the movie as there is little opportunity to feel any emotion in the movie.

___/
I sure would like to be somewhere else right now, the viewer mirrors

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

What happens if you tweet negative things about the film? I'd think they'd just set up a bot to create these, and its not some marketing intern doing them manually.

No, automatically rewteeting things people send you via a bot is basically the easiest way to create a public relations shitshow. It's 100% some low level marketing guy. Actually not a bad strategy for this film, because quoting critics approvingly just invites implicit comparison to the majority of critics who thought it was a bad film, while quoting Twitter randos helps legitimize the "not for critics" denial necessary to keep insisting the film is a misunderstood work of genius.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

So based on my observations there seems to be 2 crowds of people that loved BvS - completely uncritical nerds who love everything with a batsignal on it and think it's unironically badass when tons of people die in a superhero movie, and extremely critical nerds who are desperate to appear more educated than other nerds and so call movies 'cinema' and hate every Marvel movie because I guess there's a lot of cars in the street in Avengers.

Accurate?

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Reminds me of the would you rather game: Would you rather eat poo poo flavored chocolate or chocolate flavoured poo poo?

Marvel movies production quality seem to be kinda lovely compared to Zack Snyder's DC movies, but they taste great and everyone loves it.

Zack Snyder DC uses some better quality ingredients, but the recipe isn't right and it leaves the viewer with a lovely aftertaste.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The one that doesn't taste bad, how is that even a question?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Goffer posted:

Reminds me of the would you rather game: Would you rather eat poo poo flavored chocolate or chocolate flavoured poo poo?

Marvel movies production quality seem to be kinda lovely compared to Zack Snyder's DC movies, but they taste great and everyone loves it.

Zack Snyder DC uses some better quality ingredients, but the recipe isn't right and it leaves the viewer with a lovely aftertaste.

granny's peach tea is the answer

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

granny's peach tea is the answer

Just make sure we spend like 30 seconds cutting back and forth between the jar of piss and someone looking at it.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Codependent Poster posted:

Just make sure we spend like 30 seconds cutting back and forth between the jar of piss and someone looking at it.

Is the someone a shifty-eyed dog?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Zachack posted:

Is the someone a shifty-eyed dog?

How dare you call Holly Hunter that!

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Travis343 posted:

So based on my observations there seems to be 2 crowds of people that loved BvS - completely uncritical nerds who love everything with a batsignal on it and think it's unironically badass when tons of people die in a superhero movie, and extremely critical nerds who are desperate to appear more educated than other nerds and so call movies 'cinema' and hate every Marvel movie because I guess there's a lot of cars in the street in Avengers.

Accurate?

I think they're the same people, to be perfectly honest.

I will say that I actually am sorta surprised how more or less linear the plot to BvS is... compared to poo poo films, though. Like, for a lovely film, it's straightforward.

I honestly don't think this film deserves 28% RT. Maybe... 38%. I dunno. I could see someone thinking it's somehow profound, but my counterargument would be that it has Neil deGrasse Tyson reflection on the relationship between the mortal and the divine during a fake newscast, and I don't think there's a less superhero film moment or even a less subtle attempt at profundity than that. And that's poo poo.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Travis343 posted:

Accurate?
I want to see death and carnage, I want my children to see the mountains of corpses from collateral damage, because in the real world superheros would leave a lot of death and destruction in their wake. :unsmigghh:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Goffer posted:

Marvel movies production quality seem to be kinda lovely compared to Zack Snyder's DC movies
I think this is going to become less and less true as time goes by.

At the time of Man of Steel, I have said (and would maintain) that this one single Superman film looked better and had better action than every single MCU production up to that point, combined. But that was before the trippy cool designs of GotG (those Nova ships need to fly themselves right up my rear end in a top hat, I love them so much) or the frenetic melee action of Winter Soldier...or even Age of Ultron, which showed ever so much cinematographic improvement over the original.

Meanwhile, Batman v Superman had some pleasant composition and atmospheric colors, but seems to just half-rear end it in most other respects; I would actually consider most of its visuals to be several tiers below Man of Steel. The Knightmare gestapo fisticuffs was about on par with Nolan's bat-choreography, while the Batmobile sequence was much worse than Nolan's. The actual confrontation between Superman and Batman was practically embarrassing, with sluggish punching going on and on until someone mercifully decides that we don't care anymore. About the only interesting, worthwhile sequence was the Doomsday fight, which is way too short and takes place almost entirely in Green Screen Hell; honestly, I don't think it was even as visually-interesting as the Hulk vs Iron Man fight in AoU, much less the Superman vs Zod fight in Snyder's own MoS.

So like...speaking entirely in terms of "production quality"? Marvel seems to learn from their mistakes (and, ironically, from DC) and shows improvement over time, whereas BvS just got weirdly complacent for some reason and turned in a product that was below-par by their own standards. If things continue exactly as is, the two companies are either gonna meet in the middle as one homogenized, visually-indistinguishable production standard...or else Marvel is going to overtake DC entirely on this front.

And then how will people defend Snyder, I wonder?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Travis343 posted:

Accurate?

Yes.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

BVS fight choreography was all over the place. Knightmare sequence was unbelievably dull, but Batman taking out the armed guards to get to MARTHA was even better than the trailers suggested.

I agree the Doomsday fight was pretty cool. Yeah it was an overly CGI special effects shitshow but it was a real nice looking one.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Travis343 posted:

BVS fight choreography was all over the place. Knightmare sequence was unbelievably dull, but Batman taking out the armed guards to get to MARTHA was even better than the trailers suggested.

Because you spelled it in all caps, now I hope Batman develops the MARTHA Protocol and there's a whole story arc about it.

Let's see...
Machine
Algorithm
Rescue
Team
Helpful
Androids

A squadron of protector robots that act like the Iron Legion from AoU, putting out fires and backing up police. And they all look like Batman's mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
I didn't really care for MoS when I saw it in theaters. I haven't watched it since so maybe I should re-watch it but I will say that reading all the discussion that has happened on these forums about it has increased my appreciation of the film.
The main thing that I hated (which I haven't seen talked about much), is how the movie seems to pit Jor-El and Pa Kent against each other with Pa Kent's viewpoint being "The world isn't ready for you, you need to hide who you are" and Jor-El's being "You can inspire the people of this world". I think that really sells the character of Pa Kent short. I also didn't like that after Pa Kent dies, that's pretty much it from his viewpoint but thanks to magic kryptonian hologram computer Jor-El still gets to talk and discuss and answer all Superman's questions. I kinda wish they had shown the Jor-El hologram to be a bit more limited to drive home Kal's isolation from Krypton. In fact, I think the movie would have been better if their viewpoints were reversed. Jor-El could have researched Earth, realized that Kal-El would have powers beyond the native population, and his hologram would caution him to hide who he is and blend in. Then it could be Jon and Martha Kent (ya know, the humans who live on Earth and know how humans think) who tell Clark that he has the ability to inspire people and do good.
This is even carried over into BvS. Uncle Ben and Spiderman taught us that 'with great power comes great responsibility', but according to Ma Kent, with great power comes....well, you don't owe anything to anyone.
I don't mind Zack Snyder's style (hell, I love 300 and it's sequel) but part of the problem is that I don't think he (and Nolan too) is making comic book movies, he is making action movies that have comic book characters in them. Somehow they don't seem to evoke the comics in the way the Raimi Spiderman movies do, for example (well the first 2 at least).
I think at this point for me it's not even "Not My Superman" or "Not my Batman". For me, the cinematic worlds that Snyder and Nolan have created, it's pretty much "Not my DC". I love these characters and it sucks to finally see big-screen versions and have it suck so much. Ultimately in a Superman movie I want to see Superman being heroic and saving people. I know he stopped the World Engine in MoS and took down Doomsday which saved countless lives, blah blah blah, but it still didn't feel like him saving the day. Superman Returns is another movie with quite a few problems, but my favorite scene in the movie by far is the airplane rescue scene (and I just re-watched it and holy cow, it's better than anything in BvS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbGL6bed5yM). Now that is My Superman.

Also, and this is just a nitpick, but I don't care for Superman's suit in Mos/BvS. I get that it's time to ditch the red briefs I suppose, but I wish they had utilized a red belt or something to break up all the blue so it didn't look like he's wearing a wetsuit with a cape.

• Locked thread