Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

Do something other than deviant quests, they're some of the hardest things in the game.

To what end, that's not going to improve my equipment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Hakkesshu posted:

The money aspect isn't very attractive since I can just do Coal Hearted for an hour and get a million zenny no problem.

I'm so loving sick of SW Nargacuga I might be putting the game down entirely. I got to level 8 and finally reached the point where I can upgrade the SW armor past the point of my Narga S armor so it wasn't a downgrade in terms of defense, but now it's just... as a melee character his loving tail slam one-shots me at full health, and there's so little wind-up on it, there's almost no chance to react.

It's such a tedious slog of a fight of running back and forth and playing extremely defensively. It'd be fine if I only had to do each step once, but right now VIII just destroys the gently caress out of me and I still have 6 rounds of IX and X to look forward to, and it doesn't matter if I have defense L or that I slotted in a protection talisman, I can't upgrade my armor further so I'm at a complete dead-end, not wanting to join teams and just get one-shot over and over.

I don't know if I'm just loving bad or what, but that's what it feels like.

Six rounds? You only need to do each quest three times for the tickets for the armor. Six would give you 12 tickets. Just trying to make everything?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Roland Jones posted:

Do something other than deviant quests, they're some of the hardest things in the game.

It's also worth noting that the Silverwind armor has an abnormally low defense value compared to the other deviants. Not by a huge amount, but you'll feel it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Hakkesshu posted:

The money aspect isn't very attractive since I can just do Coal Hearted for an hour and get a million zenny no problem.

I'm so loving sick of SW Nargacuga I might be putting the game down entirely. I got to level 8 and finally reached the point where I can upgrade the SW armor past the point of my Narga S armor so it wasn't a downgrade in terms of defense, but now it's just... as a melee character his loving tail slam one-shots me at full health, and there's so little wind-up on it, there's almost no chance to react.

It's such a tedious slog of a fight of running back and forth and playing extremely defensively. It'd be fine if I only had to do each step once, but right now VIII just destroys the gently caress out of me and I still have 6 rounds of IX and X to look forward to, and it doesn't matter if I have defense L or that I slotted in a protection talisman, I can't upgrade my armor further so I'm at a complete dead-end, not wanting to join teams and just get one-shot over and over.

I don't know if I'm just loving bad or what, but that's what it feels like.

Yea, those tail slams are one-shotters when you get up there in level. I feel like he had a pretty long tell leading into it, but the actual move comes right out. It caught me more than a handful of times. I had pretty good results playing Adept and rolling my rear end off to avoid it. Then there's the enraged instances where he doubles up the tail slam and well... Life is unfair.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hakkesshu posted:

It will, though? There are plenty of great pieces of gear besides deviant stuff. Go face other HR stuff instead, maybe try getting to Akantor and Ukanlos, or Amatsu, or even Alatreon if you want something that's a real challenge without being complete bullshit.

Also it'd be more fun for you probably, which is an end in and of itself.

And yeah, as people said, Silverwind armor has low defense, relatively, because it's made for evasion. If you're fighting stuff that hits that hard and that you can't always dodge the attacks that OHKO you, something with more defense might be preferable. Making multiple sets of armor so you have options for different situations is also part of the game.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 6, 2016

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Zodack posted:

Six rounds? You only need to do each quest three times for the tickets for the armor. Six would give you 12 tickets. Just trying to make everything?

I mean six combined with 9 and 10

Roland Jones posted:

It will, though? There are plenty of great pieces of gear besides deviant stuff. Go face other HR stuff instead, maybe try getting to Akantor and Ukanlos, or Amatsu, or even Alatreon if you want something that's a real challenge without being complete bullshit.

Also it'd be more fun for you probably, which is an end in and of itself.

And yeah, as people said, Silverwind armor has low defense, relatively, because it's made for evasion. If you're fighting stuff that hits that hard and that you can't always dodge the attacks that OHKO you, something with more defense might be preferable. Making multiple sets of armor so you have options for different situations is also part of the game.

I suppose, but the idea of making a new equivalent armor set is going to be so much work, I don't know that I have it in me right now. It's really not until now that I've had any massive issues, just fighting one monster so much is not fun at all.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 6, 2016

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

Have you considered, punching monsters is fun in and of itself?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Yeah, no kidding. This is the only grindy game I play for the grind itself.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hakkesshu posted:

I mean six combined with 9 and 10

I suppose, but the idea of making a new equivalent armor set is going to be so much work, I don't know that I have it in me right now. It's really not until now that I've had any massive issues, just fighting one monster so much is not fun at all.

It takes some effort, but thankfully in Generations almost no armor requires plate/gem-rarity items (the exceptions being two pieces of DLC gear, and a few things that require wyvern gems or bird wyvern gems, which aren't so bad), it just needs common and uncommon items now. It's a great change (needing extremely rare stuff for a single piece of armor was immensely frustrating in the past), and every time I've decided to make a new set of armor so far it's only taken a few hunts to have the whole thing complete. Just make sure to break the parts you need (and maybe not hunt something that is a huge pain for certain parts, like Mizu and its claws) and it shouldn't take too long.

Though, yeah, grinding out one monster for too long can still be annoying, so, if you haven't finished your progression, you could mix it up with key quests or quests you haven't done yet as well, maybe. Or work on multiple goals at once. Or hunt with goons and alternate between whatever everyone needs.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 6, 2016

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
Finally Solo'd Dreadqueen Rathian with my Bow.

She dies right inside of an area transition and I can't touch any part of her to carve.

:smithicide:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

keyboard vomit posted:

Have you considered, punching monsters is fun in and of itself?

Yeah I've put like 90 hours into this game, it's fun, but the really high level stuff is just frustrating.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Hakkesshu posted:

What are you wearing right now?

There's quite a few armor sets, both mixed and set, above the HR break that are quite good.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Monster Hunter is always more fun when you just fight whatever you can access instead of grinding up poo poo. Find a cool weapon? Then grind the parts to get it. It's starting to feel weak? Find the parts to upgrade it (if you can access them) or just switch to a different weapon, maybe with a different element or better sharpness.

Beating your head against a certain monster? Switch weapons/style or go fight something else.

The only things you really need to look up are fun armor combos for certain skills you like, weaknesses for some monsters because they're often unintuitive, or combo list/gathering map stuff to find that weird bug you've never seen.

You will enjoy these games a lot more of you play this way.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Nothing really makes the deviant stuff any more fun other than having a set group. Much like GQs ended up in mh4u, everyone wants to make the grind easier by just stunlocking a monster.

As usual multiplayer solves all!

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

I completed the low rank Nakarkos urgent and now my cat has an adorable spooky armor :3:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

https://youtu.be/gSQmtzB8rqg

So apparently they're making a Pokémon spinoff. Holy poo poo I want a pet Congalala that will fart on my command. :allears:

Edit: also I'm sad there's no Barioth in this game. I skipped Tri/3U and never got to fight him. :smith:

Edit 2: calling it now for the 5th gen, in light of Stories... trainable pet monsters and possibly playing as a monster? Can you imagine if they made a competitive MP mode where another player gets to control something like Yian Garuga in a Prowler style mode with energy? HOLY poo poo that game now needs to happen.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 6, 2016

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I have definitely fantasized about a Monster Hunter fighting game a la Warzard/Red Earth.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Monster Hunter Megathread: "What are you wearing right now?"

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I'm forever sad that Barroth has been lost to the muds sands of time.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Electric Lady posted:

I have definitely fantasized about a Monster Hunter fighting game a la Warzard/Red Earth.

Playing as a Monster in the style of Dynasty Warriors.

Let's tear down the prior civilization.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah I've put like 90 hours into this game, it's fun, but the really high level stuff is just frustrating.

It can be, but you're pushing pretty hard there :) For what it's worth I've played 170 hours so far, and I haven't done a single deviant quest yet! It's endgame stuff, there's literally tons of awesome gear in High Rank. Plenty of great armour sets too that can sit right alongside the deviant stuff.

One of the great things about this iteration of MH is that nearly every single weapon is upgradeable to endgame levels. So go farm some poo poo you like the look of and have fun trying different stuff! The deviant stuff is cool but by no means is it the be all, end all. In the Japanese version I spent 500 hours and farmed every deviant but most of my hunting time was spent in mixed HR sets.

Edit: the other option if you're sick of farming for a time is to play Prowler. You'll generally get enough parts out of a single fight to make a full armour and weapon set of a monster. Prowler is also fun and cool.

thorsilver fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 6, 2016

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

pulp rag posted:

I'm forever sad that Barroth has been lost to the muds sands of time.

He could pull a Narga and make a comeback!

Lunastra is never coming back, on the other hand.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fuzz posted:

He could pull a Narga and make a comeback!

Lunastra is never coming back, on the other hand.

What's the deal with Lunastra, anyway? Besides being a female Teostra, I mean. Is there any obvious reason she's been gone so long?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Ceadeus too. I hope the next game is HD so we can have underwater fighting again.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I'm currently wearing the shagaru Magala gunner armor with Samus' arm cannon. I look like a techpriest.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Fuzz posted:

Edit 2: calling it now for the 5th gen, in light of Stories... trainable pet monsters and possibly playing as a monster? Can you imagine if they made a competitive MP mode where another player gets to control something like Yian Garuga in a Prowler style mode with energy? HOLY poo poo that game now needs to happen.

Frontier has had this for like 7 years, it's poo poo

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Fuzz posted:

https://youtu.be/gSQmtzB8rqg

So apparently they're making a Pokémon spinoff. Holy poo poo I want a pet Congalala that will fart on my command. :allears:

Edit: also I'm sad there's no Barioth in this game. I skipped Tri/3U and never got to fight him. :smith:

I'm plesioth. Hip check. Hipcheck. Hipcheckhipcheckhipcheckhipcheck. Spin.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Spam hipchecks to charge up your spin meter.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is there any correlation between HR and Village? Like, will HR4 have monster stronger, weaker or similar to Village 4?

I need the Samus stuff, and I think it said HR4+ so I'm just wondering how much of a hassle that would be.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The biggest difference is that hub quests are balanced for multiplayer. I've heard that they have like 3-4 times the hp. In my experience, soloing hubs tuff can be very tedious. I tend to triple cart about 45 minutes in.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

You're just pushing the curve hard. The deviant stuff is primarily there for people who have otherwise really seen all of the other content, and are looking for something that kind of scales a little bit, and may still yield a slightly better reward. You already have the reward, and upgraded sufficiently that it will work plenty well for the rest of HR content. Go hit that content. You'll have a lot more fun seeing new things, and exploring other gear. Just don't let the process of getting that deviant set up to speed fool you. That is completely unique content. Crafting more regular HR sets won't require nearly the same degree of investment.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Your Computer posted:

Is there any correlation between HR and Village? Like, will HR4 have monster stronger, weaker or similar to Village 4?

I need the Samus stuff, and I think it said HR4+ so I'm just wondering how much of a hassle that would be.

HR 4+ is High Rank. Village High Rank-equivalent quests don't show up until 6*; HR 1-3 cover village 1*-5* and some of 6*.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Roland Jones posted:

What's the deal with Lunastra, anyway? Besides being a female Teostra, I mean. Is there any obvious reason she's been gone so long?

I can't even remember what was different about fighting her than Teostra. It was less difference than rathalos/rathian had, and they were a lot more similar at the time than they are now. I like her better than Teostra visually though, so i'm sad she's gone.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
I just found out they added hp info for quests on Kiranico. It is interesting to see how much the hp can vary between the different hunts. I always thought multi monster quests had less hp than they actually do.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kiggles posted:

You're just pushing the curve hard. The deviant stuff is primarily there for people who have otherwise really seen all of the other content, and are looking for something that kind of scales a little bit, and may still yield a slightly better reward. You already have the reward, and upgraded sufficiently that it will work plenty well for the rest of HR content. Go hit that content. You'll have a lot more fun seeing new things, and exploring other gear. Just don't let the process of getting that deviant set up to speed fool you. That is completely unique content. Crafting more regular HR sets won't require nearly the same degree of investment.

Well I sucked it up and tried a different hunter style and it went a lot better so I just did the rest of the Silverwind quests and have everything fully upgraded now, plus weapon. I just had a string of really bad losses there which caused me to bitch, so sorry about that, it was bummer in the moment.

I still think the Deviant quests are kind of dumb, though. In MH I like to set goals for myself, so in this case I really wanted a full Silverwind set, and the path is relatively straightforward, it's just a lot of repetition even for this series.

Also a factor is that the deviant quests are a lot easier to find groups for than most other individual quests in multiplayer, but that's a whole other can of worms with the way the game handles quests. For the record I had "beaten" HR which is why I was doing the deviant quests in the first place, I thought that was the next logical step of progression.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Did you do hypers yet? I didn't start hypers until after I'd uncapped my HR, and I find them be lower difficulty than deviants...

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Snak posted:

Did you do hypers yet? I didn't start hypers until after I'd uncapped my HR, and I find them be lower difficulty than deviants...

Yeah I've done like a dozen. They are definitely less intense than high level deviants.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Does Proof of a Hero play in this?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Deviant is pretty much the last progression to thing to do. Find a new goal or put the game down p much. Usually people medal chase at that point if they care enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is it worth using Flash and Sonic Bombs against Nargacuga, or should I just git gud? I'm having a gently caress of a time against it.

• Locked thread