Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The real n word is knowledge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mad Wack posted:

i hope we can dress up our companions - i wanna put the mexican dude in a cyber luchadore outfit or a day of the dead neon skeleton bodysuit

Muy caliente!

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i also saw some buddhist monks in the city street scene - does CP2020 have any sort of special handling of monks/buddhism or are they just normal?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

WoodrowSkillson posted:

can do it without the word oval office, cause its a loaded word that riles people up to little benefit

Boooooooooo

The c-word is rightly reviled in America, where it is the worst gendered slur you can use. But "loaded" speaks to connotation, and connotation is dependent upon context. I don't know if you've ever spent time around drunks or criminals or drunken criminals, but I don't hear anything wrong about its use in this very unusual context.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Any info about how moddable the game is?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
also considering that the themes are really mature in this game i hope i can romance my companion and see his enchiladas in the flesh (maybe they are cyber enchiladas?)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Honestly, its a satisfying word to say, too.

Gotta reserve it for people that deserve it, but an angry dude pronouncing it is loving top class, tbh.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Mind you I don't remember the second use of the word, although I can guess who it was applied to. But the first was perfect for a functional drunk of a criminal.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The real c word is knowledge

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Mad Wack posted:

also considering that the themes are really mature in this game i hope i can romance my companion and see his enchiladas in the flesh (maybe they are cyber enchiladas?)
They mentioned there will be romance options and most likely some of them with companions.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I hope I can romance my computer just like irl.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Mad Wack posted:

i also saw some buddhist monks in the city street scene - does CP2020 have any sort of special handling of monks/buddhism or are they just normal?

I think they might have been weird cultists wearing orange robes who we will undoubtedly be killing in droves later on

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Nyaa posted:

Any info about how moddable the game is?

Expect it to be as moddable as Witcher 3.

Also your partner sounds like a dude who just found out on Ancestry that he's got a spanish grandparent and changes his style to fit that.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
You n-bombs check out those cyborg titties in the gameplay trailer?

They were nice.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I have a very serious question.

Is Quinton Flynn voicing anyone in this game?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I now remembered that the narrator said that except for cars and bikes there will be 'other vehicles' available. If they want to avoid flying because of gameplay constraints I'm counting at least on BTTF-style hoverboards.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Palpek posted:

It's ok to criticize things in the demo.

The biggest strength of TW3 was the writing and dialogues, to me it really elevated the game leaps above the competition. The conversations were very well written and seemed to consciously avoid the usual fantasy game cliches that Bethesda and Bioware hammered so hard into people's heads over the years. TW3 was different, even random peasant chatter was amusing, they wanted every line to be worth hearing and it paid off.

The dialogues in Cyberpunk demo are back to the usual video-game level imo. The bad voice acting of the player character doesn't help either. There were still some good parts: the conversation with the gang on the couch was cool and reminded me of that CDPR touch and the talk with the quest giver in the car was fine. The lines between the player and the companion were something maybe Rockstar or Bioware would write though. So yeah, they were ok for the low bar of acceptable video game writing but they weren't what CDPR blew my mind with in TW3. Conveying things with body language/facial expressions are also absent in the video.

Still, I'm willing to cut them some slack because it's a demo so it doesn't represent the finished product. The other thing is that from what I understand you can have different companions with you so maybe they had to sacrifice the quality of writing to have all those different missions voiced by different characters (that all should have different things to say) so they had to come up with a lot more material and making all of it good is humanly impossible.

Palpek posted:

Yeah, I don't care about the swearing, it's a harsh world and it will have harsh words and portray unpleasant types. I'd prefer it to be better written/delivered though. In contrast the evironmental storytelling was top notch, a lot of things in the streets that I only noticed on the second viewing.

Yeah...that struck me, as well. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, however: they are definitely aiming for the stars by trying to edge in on Rockstar's market. The E3 trailer had a bright, GTA-style look to it, which I they have said is just one aspect of the overall design. I am ~hoping~ that it's the same thing here: this marketing campaign is very different from what CDPR has done in the past and looks much more similar to a West Coast, AAA-budget press ramp-up.

On the one hand, I totally get them trying to capture a larger market. On the other, I worry that this may be the start of a slide into mediocrity...many a studio has been lost as they tried to lower the common denominator for wider appeal. For now I am just assuming that this is a newly unleashed marketing department getting to play with their new toys (and budget).

Luckily for CDPR, my biggest worry at the moment is trying to avoid enough of the pre-launch material so that the game still feels fresh when I finally play. That being said: off to watch the 48-minute demo again! :ohdear:

Roman Reigns posted:

So is oval office just a very common swear word in the cyberpunk universe? Like how cocksucker is used so often in deadwood? I’m genuinely curious

Kind of getting a vibe like the BSG reboot: an attempt at gender-equality by just turning men AND women into chauvinists. It's not totally off-putting, it's just kind of dated.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Imagine what the night cycle looks like. :gizz:

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Palpek posted:

Also my Geralt was talking in Polish, way different delivery than the English one.
I can see how the director working in his native language would lead to more polished experience.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

WoodrowSkillson posted:

No, if i was i would have typed them both, but both will incite significant reactions when used so they are on a similar spectrum of slurs. oval office is different as its use is widespread in commonwealth countries but nearly exclusively a gendered slur in america. there are a bunch of other localized slurs for various groups that are or are not used in places. If an american game used "gypped" it would get quite a reaction in europe.

I too think that creators of all cultural products must be above all concerned about how poor marginalized Americans will react to it and how it fits into their parochial world views.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

exquisite tea posted:

I've lived and worked in some rough neighborhoods throughout most of my adult lifetime, so you don't need to carry on this fantasy of talkin' tough to clueless goons over the internet. I don't like the writing as shown so far because it comes off as what a 15-year old might think real bad hombres sound like, and is pretty much indistinguishable from the cliched and swear-laden companion dialogue I saw in Far Cry 5, a game you might recall being known for its exemplary standards of writing. I just think it's pretty lame! Hopefully not too representative of the next 99 hours of gameplay because that'll get old real fast.

It didn't sound off to me. That said round here "how ya goin' ya sick oval office" isn't an uncommon greeting in certain areas.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Palpek posted:

I don't have a problem with the swear words, not really a line of argumentation I follow. Also my Geralt was talking in Polish, way different delivery than the English one.

Rozenek is a much better Geralt imo. (But it's clear that in 3 most of the production was focused on the English version)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The issue here may be that the script is going to be an English translation of what Polish writer thinks American street talk is like, but meh, not being authentic doesn't mean it's necessarily bad, just different. Spaghtetti westerns were great, and the creators also had no idea what they were writing about except for some superficial cliches - what they did was turn them into a strength.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Lmao if looking at that excellent demo made you worried about the company sliding into mediocrity. What the heck people

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

steinrokkan posted:

I too think that creators of all cultural products must be above all concerned about how poor marginalized Americans will react to it and how it fits into their parochial world views.

That's fine just don't come in here whining when a bunch of people get annoyed by it. This conversation was re-started by someone complaining that people were bothered.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I didn't see a real problem with the dialogue or the VAs. My reaction to it was mostly neutral. It was just there and it was passable. But, imo, I can give CDPR the benefit of the doubt because it's the same company that gave us the W3's writing and dialogue which are pretty well lauded.

Remember, too, that there are people who don't like Witcher 3's VAs. I think "just another gravel voiced protag" was a not uncommon stance even though I thought it fit Geralt to a T.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Zoltan said oval office constantly and it wasn't an issue.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

dogstile posted:

I'm lolling at everyone who's cringing at the swears.

"poo poo, these guys are getting high, murdering, stealing, kidnapping and illegally augmenting themselves, that's cool"

"He called someone a oval office! Wtf!"

Nobody is clutching their pearls at naughty words. oval office is fine, and fun to say. People are bothered by the voice acting delivery and how awkwardly the swear words are shoved into the dialog. Good swearing usage takes a bit of artistry. There's a right way and a wrong way to swear, and some people think the demo got it wrong.

Everything else honestly looks pretty cool though. Personally, I am thrilled at the prospect of being able to tap into and control that combat spider-bot. One of my favorite pieces of tech in the original Deus Ex is the deployable drone and I cannot wait to see how they've expanded the capabilities of that kind of gadget here. It's probably going to be especially useful in CP2020 too, as verticality is going to be such a high priority component of level design.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Zoltan said oval office constantly and it wasn't an issue.

I outraged about it on Twitter constantly, and I don't even have a Twitter account

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Node posted:

I outraged about it on Twitter constantly, and I don't even have a Twitter account

"You think me some LIMP PRICK?!!"

-My favorite line from Witcher II

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

GreatGreen posted:

Nobody is clutching their pearls at naughty words. oval office is fine, and fun to say. People are bothered by the voice acting delivery and how awkwardly the swear words are shoved into the dialog. Good swearing usage takes a bit of artistry.

This is the key. Its not just swearing vs not swearing or using certain words. It may be hard to articulate but you feel it when you hear dialogue that doesnt have the spark in the swearing. Id liken it to a Tarantino script vs. high schoolers idea of a tarantino script.

The cursing in the vert slice demo leaned very hard towards the latter but cdprjekts record on writing is pretty good so i reserve hope for the real game.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

GreatGreen posted:

Also, that list of gangs above is the most tryhard, monkey-cheese thing I’ve seen in years.

Late seventies was all about various weird little gangs that espoused odd philosophies, like the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbionese_Liberation_Army, or the weathermen. Extrapolation into the eighties was that you'd end up with more splintering and identity politics leading towards small groups, which is where 'The Warriors' came in.

Of course now we know that gangs don't organize around stupid names and uniforms like the 'proud boys' or any number of different biker gangs from the Warlocks to the Nightwolves; that would just be completely monkey-cheese.

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Boooooooooo

The c-word is rightly reviled in America, where it is the worst gendered slur you can use. But "loaded" speaks to connotation, and connotation is dependent upon context. I don't know if you've ever spent time around drunks or criminals or drunken criminals, but I don't hear anything wrong about its use in this very unusual context.

It's reviled worldwide, but America tends to pretend like it has some moral virtue over such things and everyone starts clutching their pearls.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

brb going to england to call hyper kids spazzes and then look smug when their parents get mad

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Hav posted:

, but America tends to pretend like it has some moral virtue over such things and everyone starts clutching their pearls.

The American way :911:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'm surprised that people are applying American standards to... *squints*... a videogame set in America.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Ah yes the classy and mature dialogue of the Witcher 3 with such gems as "See you're a man well traveled, so tell me... should I beat me wench once a week, or oftener?"

"Ohh you wouldn't know a good tale from a runny fart."

"I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious..."

and the random guards who fart and then laugh at themselves.

I mean yeah it did have good dialogue too but come on now it wasn't some beacon of mature game writing. The Cyberpunk demo seems perfectly on par, I'm sure there'll be good dialogue in the deeper conversations.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Hav posted:

Of course now we know that gangs don't organize around stupid names and uniforms like the 'proud boys' or any number of different biker gangs from the Warlocks to the Nightwolves; that would just be completely monkey-cheese.
Speaking of Cheese and gang...

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

WoodrowSkillson posted:

brb going to england to call hyper kids spazzes and then look smug when their parents get mad

Just go with 'spastic' - The flat 'a' really makes it.

Nothing beats Afrikaaner for swearing though. It's a heavy mattock of a language.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Rinkles posted:

Rozenek is a much better Geralt imo. (But it's clear that in 3 most of the production was focused on the English version)
Yeah, his voice is the canon Geralt in my head just like Hammil is the Joker for some people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligament
Jun 12, 2018
Biscuit Hider

Jerkface posted:

This is the key. Its not just swearing vs not swearing or using certain words. It may be hard to articulate but you feel it when you hear dialogue that doesnt have the spark in the swearing. Id liken it to a Tarantino script vs. high schoolers idea of a tarantino script.

The cursing in the vert slice demo leaned very hard towards the latter but cdprjekts record on writing is pretty good so i reserve hope for the real game.

ya they were extremely up front about it being a risky move to show off an interactive proof of concept demo specifically to get fan feedback. that's a refreshing level of honesty between dev and end user, but they've always had that edge coming from the humble beginnings of being software pirates. def gonna preorder on GOG as soon as it's available.