Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

jvick posted:

I make no claims to be an expert, so my hope is that you guys will provide a suggestion at least for the size of a position. Current balance of cash is $8,830.05

WEED-COBALT:
$MJX - $1500
$KATFF - $500

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Is there a tool or screener or website that tracks covered call pricing relative to stock price? I've been buying/selling a lot of NVDA but the stock price is getting too high now.

I'd like to keep making good % on covered calls albeit with lower stock prices to start lol.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Can u link to the Goon ETF

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Accretionist posted:

WEED-COBALT:
$MJX - $1500
$KATFF - $500

Accretionist are you worried about lawsuits involved in KATFF? I've been following them on Yahoo Finance since you mentioned it, every news is a press release talking about some sort of investor trouble. Wondering if you've looked into it...

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/KATFF/

(see above link, scroll down for the press releases)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Here's what I've got right now in order of equity:

MJX
XAR
XLF
FIW
GAMR

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

Rocks posted:

Accretionist are you worried about lawsuits involved in KATFF? I've been following them on Yahoo Finance since you mentioned it, every news is a press release talking about some sort of investor trouble. Wondering if you've looked into it...

I like this. I hope creating this portfolio will encourage more intelligent discourse. I’m looking forward to the discussion.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Moridin920 posted:

Here's what I've got right now in order of equity:

MJX
XAR
XLF
FIW
GAMR

Goodpancakes posted:

Ormat! (ORA) a renewable energy company with positive cash flows heavily invested in the Geothermal sector. Tons of clean cheap Geothermal energy out there waiting to be exploited!

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Are there any ETFs worth looking at for investing in renewables energy companies? I'd love to get in on that, but really don't know enough about the companies involved in geothermal/other alternative fuels to invest in them individually. Maybe a fund like CUT.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 11, 2018

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
$ATVI is popping PM because of overwatch league - 400K viewers on twitch right now. Might finally break its 60-66 range that it's been stuck at if the gains hold tomorrow.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Does anyone in here trade ES or SPY?

Ruggan fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 11, 2018

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

SPY is an ETF, not a future.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Rocks posted:

Honestly, I'm not sure how to evaluate that.

But they're a shady Canadian penny stock which owns a mining complex in the Democratic Republic of the Congo who's ~3/4 owned by Glencore, an even shadier Swiss multinational which is one of the world's largest companies and for which there's a history of lovely allegations like dealing in conflict minerals and with rogue states like Saddam-era Iraq and North Korea so this should probably be considered par for the course.

And the whole thing's so opaquely corrupt that I'm just kind of assuming Glencore's financing, long-term agenda --

quote:

Glencore said it will double its production of cobalt over the next three years as it confirmed it was in talks with Tesla, Apple and Volkswagen on supply of the battery metal.

The miner and trader said it aims to produce around 63,000 tonnes of cobalt by 2020 from its current 27,000 tonnes following the restart of its Katanga copper operations in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Glencore’s target of 63,000 tonnes would be worth around $4.7bn at current cobalt prices.

https://www.ft.com/content/af90e269-8e98-3ba0-ba7f-9d64b6bcd4a1

-- and experience with questionable business practices will predominate. That being said, I did size my irl $KATFF position according to what I'd be comfortable losing on an outlandish bet.

And if anyone can recommend reading on class-action suits as regards stock trading, please do

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 11, 2018

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
Is this serious? Make a position recommendation

Accretionist posted:

Honestly, I'm not sure how to evaluate that.

But they're a shady Canadian penny stock which owns a mining complex in the Democratic Republic of the Congo who's ~3/4 owned by Glencore, an even shadier Swiss multinational which is one of the world's largest companies and for which there's a history of lovely allegations like dealing in conflict minerals and with rogue states like Saddam-era Iraq and North Korea so this should probably be considered par for the course.

And the whole thing's so opaquely corrupt that I'm just kind of assuming Glencore's financing, long-term agenda --

https://www.ft.com/content/af90e269-8e98-3ba0-ba7f-9d64b6bcd4a1

-- and experience with questionable business practices will predominate. That being said, I did size my irl $KATFF position according to what I'd be comfortable losing on an outlandish bet.

And if anyone can recommend reading on class-action suits as regards stock trading, please do

EDIT: It will let me look up $KATFF, but not make the trade. I even tried starting a new "game" with the symbol whitelisted

Very nice defense. I'll place the order though I think much of this news is already priced in.

My concern with your $MJX recommendation is it's 15% of the starting equity. Would you be OK with $1,000?

jvick fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 11, 2018

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Yeah for the goon etf sure thing. Just dump 300-500 in it

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Here is a very good read on a bull case that we are entering into “melt up” territory, where the S&P 500 may go up 60% in the next 9-18 months before crashing back to 2016 levels. It’s by Jeremy Grantham, founder of a giant asset management company, and who has a long history of calling precious bubbles correctly.

https://www.gmo.com/docs/default-so...erm-melt-up.pdf

Definitely interesting!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rocks posted:

Here is a very good read on a bull case that we are entering into “melt up” territory, where the S&P 500 may go up 60% in the next 9-18 months before crashing back to 2016 levels. It’s by Jeremy Grantham, founder of a giant asset management company, and who has a long history of calling precious bubbles correctly.

Definitely interesting!
Seems to me we've been melting up since November 9, 2016.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

Goodpancakes posted:

Yeah for the goon etf sure thing. Just dump 300-500 in it

I'd say make a bit more of a compelling argument then. I want trades that Goons are actually making. So if you're making this move, whats really driving it?

I've opened a new Portfolio on MarketWatch that lets us buy these OTC stocks. All stocks will be repurchased at market open tomorrow. I'll update with current positions once the trades process.

Would you guys be more interested in just starting a year to year game? I'd be open to setting it up and managing the game. Maybe each year we start wit $10,000 and see who can get the highest return? Could be fun and educational.

jvick fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 11, 2018

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

jvick posted:

I'd say make a bit more of a compelling argument then. I trades that Goons are actually making. So if you're making this move, whats really driving it?

I've opened a new Portfolio on MarketWatch that lets us buy these OTC stocks. All stocks will be repurchased at market open tomorrow. I'll update with current positions once the trades process.

Would you guys be more interested in just starting a year to year game? I'd be open to setting it up and managing the game. Maybe each year we start wit $10,000 and see who can get the highest return? Could be fun and educational.

I’m in

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Rocks posted:

Definitely interesting!

It's interesting, but I honestly don't understand why anyone would use CAPE as a measure of the market. What do earnings from 2008 have to do with today? It seems like a simplistic view. I would love to meet one person who buys a company based on their earnings from 10 years ago. If that doesn't make sense in evaluating a single company, why does it make sense to evaluate the overall market? The world is so different from 10 years ago, it's crazy. Maybe CAPE made sense in slower time, but it's ridiculous in 2018. The forward PE is about 19 right now, which is high, but it's nowhere near as high as it seems if you use CAPE.

It does subjectively feel like he's on to something with the general sentiment. Earnings keep rising, rates stay low, but everyone keeps jerking off to bubble talk, and it's been like that basically since the start of the recovery. There hasn't been much euphoria during this bull run. You want to see euphoria, go look at bitcoin. But lately, there does seem to be more market optimism. Not euphoria, but general optimism. I don't think you can really have a bubble without euphoria, so if it's going to get there, it has to start with optimism.

My other subjective feeling is that this is the new norm. The market is only going to become more and more removed from sentiment, because sentiment is tied to how people feel on an individual level. No one really looks at the market and does an analysis, "hmm, yes, things are looking up!" They look at their paycheck and their debt and their savings and how they feel, and if that's all good, then the economy is good. The market used to be more directly tied to overall employment and wages, but it's just not anymore. The largest most profitable companies in the world barely employ anyone. Facebook has 23k employees. That's 10% of Fords employees, but Facebook has 10x the market cap. This is all going to accelerate.

So anyway, the market is going to be able to have bull runs for loving 5+ years and people are still going to feel economically insecure and have negative market sentiment. It's going to feel fraudulent.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

jvick posted:

We did that a couple years ago using the StockTwits app, it was pretty fun. I think it kind of petered out after maybe 6 months, when mordin had like double the cash of any else in the game

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
StockTwits is full of stupid and extremely polarized views on stocks, but I can't stop reading them.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

People have been calling the bubble for years using all sorts of rational reasoning and metrics. I agree with paternity suitor that the market may just keep going in this direction with little recessions here and there. Crypto crashing may be the next long-term dip in the market, but institutions haven't really been investing a ton into, they only seem to be buzzwording it so I doubt it will be much more than 6 months of panic selling. Housing bubble popping again would do it, but we all saw that the governments will step in to keep things floating so I think people are willing to risk more than they were the last time so we may be able to push that even further.

I guess that's a lot of words to say, I don't know what the market is going to do. But neither does anyone else, so just strap in, enjoy the ride, and hope that a recession doesn't come right before you're planning to retire.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

paternity suitor posted:

It's interesting, but I honestly don't understand why anyone would use CAPE as a measure of the market. What do earnings from 2008 have to do with today? It seems like a simplistic view. I would love to meet one person who buys a company based on their earnings from 10 years ago. If that doesn't make sense in evaluating a single company, why does it make sense to evaluate the overall market? The world is so different from 10 years ago, it's crazy. Maybe CAPE made sense in slower time, but it's ridiculous in 2018. The forward PE is about 19 right now, which is high, but it's nowhere near as high as it seems if you use CAPE.

It does subjectively feel like he's on to something with the general sentiment. Earnings keep rising, rates stay low, but everyone keeps jerking off to bubble talk, and it's been like that basically since the start of the recovery. There hasn't been much euphoria during this bull run. You want to see euphoria, go look at bitcoin. But lately, there does seem to be more market optimism. Not euphoria, but general optimism. I don't think you can really have a bubble without euphoria, so if it's going to get there, it has to start with optimism.

My other subjective feeling is that this is the new norm. The market is only going to become more and more removed from sentiment, because sentiment is tied to how people feel on an individual level. No one really looks at the market and does an analysis, "hmm, yes, things are looking up!" They look at their paycheck and their debt and their savings and how they feel, and if that's all good, then the economy is good. The market used to be more directly tied to overall employment and wages, but it's just not anymore. The largest most profitable companies in the world barely employ anyone. Facebook has 23k employees. That's 10% of Fords employees, but Facebook has 10x the market cap. This is all going to accelerate.

So anyway, the market is going to be able to have bull runs for loving 5+ years and people are still going to feel economically insecure and have negative market sentiment. It's going to feel fraudulent.

While I totally agree with everything you say, I also think it’s naive if we think “this time is different”

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My weed stocks :cry:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Fuckin MJX cratering for 2 days did I miss something stupid that Sessions did/said again

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
Goon ETF Starting positions.

Cash Balance: $5,152.41

code:
Symbol 	Order Date/Time 	Transaction Date/Time 	Type 	Amount 	Ex. Price
KATFF 	1/11/18 12:27a 		1/11/18 9:51a 		Buy 	255 	$2.00
NTDOY 	1/11/18 12:26a 		1/11/18 9:51a 		Buy	20 	$49.71
MJX 	1/11/18 12:27a 		1/11/18 9:31a 		Buy 	27 	$37.38
NVDA 	1/11/18 12:25a 		1/11/18 9:30a 		Buy 	7 	$225.00
AMD 	1/11/18 12:26a 		1/11/18 9:30a 		Buy 	63 	$12.07
See if this link works to view the portfolio.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
long $TQQQ, full year
short $KODK, <3-4 months

For the goon portfolio

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

What's your guys thoughts on MINDBODY ($MB)? While they still have a negative net income, they have grown their net income and sales by 30-40% over the last year (similar quarterly growth too). It's a wellness coordination app, if anyone has used a fitness/yoga/spin class over the last couple years (lol goons are fat) they have probably come across this program. I think it's small enough that it doesn't have institutional investment but it's pretty well situated in the future for continuing growth.... thoughts????

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/MB/financials?p=MB

you gotta love this chart too

Rocks fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 11, 2018

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

ETH is my best performing investment lol

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

People have been calling the bubble for years using all sorts of rational reasoning and metrics. I agree with paternity suitor that the market may just keep going in this direction with little recessions here and there. Crypto crashing may be the next long-term dip in the market, but institutions haven't really been investing a ton into, they only seem to be buzzwording it so I doubt it will be much more than 6 months of panic selling. Housing bubble popping again would do it, but we all saw that the governments will step in to keep things floating so I think people are willing to risk more than they were the last time so we may be able to push that even further.

I guess that's a lot of words to say, I don't know what the market is going to do. But neither does anyone else, so just strap in, enjoy the ride, and hope that a recession doesn't come right before you're planning to retire.

i don't know if you read the full article (it's good btw) but at the end it essentially recommended not that you just transfer into bonds or securities, but rather emerging market equities as they are undervalued (more explanation in their 3Q 2017 letter here, page 11-21: https://www.gmo.com/docs/default-source/public-commentary/gmo-quarterly-letter.pdf)

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Rocks posted:

While I totally agree with everything you say, I also think it’s naive if we think “this time is different”

“This time it’s different” is never good, but I don’t think I’m saying that. It’s more like, “the pace of development is increasing”. So measures like CAPE, which is totally arbitrary, because why 10 years? Hell why not 100? If it was 100 I think we’d all agree it’d be stupid, because the economy in 1918 has zero bearing on 2018. But since the pace of development is always increasing, 10 years as a measure is rapidly reaching equal levels of worthlessness. Plus it’s including, you know, a stock market crash. Lehman Brothers impacts the CAPE calculation of the economy in 2018.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Rocks posted:

i don't know if you read the full article (it's good btw) but at the end it essentially recommended not that you just transfer into bonds or securities, but rather emerging market equities as they are undervalued (more explanation in their 3Q 2017 letter here, page 11-21: https://www.gmo.com/docs/default-source/public-commentary/gmo-quarterly-letter.pdf)

I did, and I actually very much agree with that. EM is where it’s at. I’ve been skewed into them for a long time. My portfolio is 25% EM, and another 20% MSCI.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

what's the difference between MSCI, EAFE and EM

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Solice Kirsk posted:

If crypto crashes it has absolutely zero effect on anything else. Recessions are caused by cascading effects. For example, interest rates rise, businesses can't raise capital, and then lay off workers, etc. If Bitcoin crashes, some smug 22 year old in his parent's basement may lose his life savings that he previously didn't have anyway, but it is going to have little economic effect.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Cheesemaster200 posted:

If crypto crashes it has absolutely zero effect on anything else. Recessions are caused by cascading effects. For example, interest rates rise, businesses can't raise capital, and then lay off workers, etc. If Bitcoin crashes, some smug 22 year old in his parent's basement may lose his life savings that he previously didn't have anyway, but it is going to have little economic effect.

with all due respect, i bet the winklevoss twins have a pretty sweet basement

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Cheesemaster200 posted:

People were saying the same thing when Russia defaulted and caused LTCM to collapse. I wonder how many Hedge Funds are tied up in crypto

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

paternity suitor posted:

“This time it’s different” is never good, but I don’t think I’m saying that. It’s more like, “the pace of development is increasing”. So measures like CAPE, which is totally arbitrary, because why 10 years? Hell why not 100? If it was 100 I think we’d all agree it’d be stupid, because the economy in 1918 has zero bearing on 2018. But since the pace of development is always increasing, 10 years as a measure is rapidly reaching equal levels of worthlessness. Plus it’s including, you know, a stock market crash. Lehman Brothers impacts the CAPE calculation of the economy in 2018.

Feel free to run some other time periods: https://dqydj.com/shiller-pe-cape-ratio-calculator/

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Thank you KBH for the beat and the 20% profit in 2 days. Offsets my poor weed stocks

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Err, wrong thread. Happy investing all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It occurred to me that makers of winter apparel and winter sports gear probably sell a lot more products as soon as the winter olympics are on TV. People are reminded by all the winter sports that they aspire to do winter sports, and aspirational sportspeople love to load up on gear and plan exactly one winter trip before stuffing their closets and garages with used-once gear they never touch again. This seems like it should generate a short-term bump in profits for companies that make winter sports gear for sale in the Northern hemisphere in february-March 2018.

Let's look into this a little. Here are some top winter ski and snowboard apparel and equipment companies:
From https://www.moneycrashers.com/best-ski-snowboard-brands-clothing-gear/
Helly Hansen {apparently owned by the Ontario Teacher's Pension Plan, lol}
Arc’teryx {Amer Sports Corporation, in Finland; Traded on Nasdaq Helsinki as AMEAS, and also on Chi-X, Turquoise, and BATS.}
High Sierra {seems to be privately held?}
SmartWool {V.F. Corp. (VFC)}
Burton {privately held? https://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=1963468}
Kari Traa {Active Brands in Norway; mainly held by Nordic private equity investment company FSN Capital; see http://www.holta.com/no/news/holta-invest-sells-a-majority-stake-in-active-brands-to-fsn-capital-iv.html . Not sure if this is possible to invest in.}
Mountain Hardwear {can't find investor info}
Stio {only found one investment round by venture capital; probably privately held}
Smith Optics {brand seems to be owned by Safilo Group, traded on MTA in Italy; bloomburg SFL.IM, Reuters SFLG.MI}
Bolle {Vista Outdoor owns the brand; NYSE - VSTO}
Bliz {Future Eyewear Group Sweden AB; I can't find listing info anywhere, but they do seem to be a public company?}
Point6 {privately held}
Krimson Klover {seems to be privately held}
ThermaCELL {The Schawbel Corporation; privately held}
Belong Designs {privately held}
Imperial Motion {seems to be privately held}
Ahnu {A Teva brand; Deckers Outdoor Corporation. NYSE: DECK}
Lululemon {lululemon athletica Inc, a canadian company. Nasdaq: LULU.}
Outdoor Technology {seems to be privately held. Also their "about us" company page fills me with rage}
Chaos Hats {Do-Gree Fashions Ltd., Montreal; probably privately held}
Giesswein {family-owned Austrian company}
Native Eyewear {According to Bloomburg, was acquired by A.T. Cross Company? (NASDAQ: ATX).}
Shinesty {Multiple venture capital rounds per crunchbase. Probably still privately held.}

And here's a Yahoo article from (probably not coincidentally) 4 years ago on sports companies to consider investing in:
https://www.thestreet.com/story/12863421/1/21-sports-related-companies-to-consider-for-your-stock-portfolio.html
I'll just pick out the ones that do winter stuff:
Black Diamond (BDE)
Lululemon Athletica (LULU)
Big 5 Sporting Goods (BGFV) (this is a retailer rather than maker, but this thesis should also mean sales for retailers...)
Dick's Sporting Goods (DKS) (retailer)
Deckers Outdoor (DECK) (makes UGG and Teva brand stuff)
Hibbett Sports (HIBB) (retailer in the south US)
Columbia Sportswear (COLM)
Jarden (JAH)
Under Armour (UA)
V.F. Corp. (VFC) (brands include The North Face, Timberland, Smartwool)

Here's an article on "three ways to invest in skiing and winter sports" from November 2016 that is focused on winter resorts:
https://money.usnews.com/investing/articles/2016-11-18/3-ways-to-invest-in-skiing-and-winter-sports
Mentions Vail Resorts (MTN), Intrawest Resorts Holdings (SNOW), and Peak Resorts (SKIS)

Sooooo, some more work to do sorting through all these companies, but: anyone wanna make a short-term (say, 1-4 months) play in winter sports gear/apparel/resorts on the strength of the winter olympics?