Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fat Care-Bear posted:

It's amazing how far you'd go just to not see short statements about a game

lol if you think 2 clicks takes a lot of effort

One good thing about Adblock Plus is that there is a plugin for it that lets you block entire page elements such as the curator block beneath a game's store page. Unfortunately this obviously does not remove them from the Steam client so you still have to read what chucklefuck dinglegamereviewer thinks of Sakura Spirit 3 or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Indie Royale are doing a mystery bundle again. First two games are Skyborn, an actually pretty rock-solid RPG Maker game, & Depth Hunter II.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
They mystery theme is "now in it's 4th bundle appearance"

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Testekill posted:

Indie Royale are doing a mystery bundle again. First two games are Skyborn, an actually pretty rock-solid RPG Maker game, & Depth Hunter II.

Depth Hunter is beautiful and super chill. Also incredibly easy, at least so far. I played it for a couple hours last night and it's easily worth a dollar.

That being said, the controls are wonky, the engrish is a little less than charming, and it feels quite beta. Still, it's nice to just lazily swim around a gorgeous reef for a drat buck.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Beat Lara Croft: Temple of Osiris and South Park: Stick of Truth last night. I am a machine. The former was pretty fun but nothing special. It was more of the first Lara Croft game, so if you enjoyed that you'll enjoy this. I plan on taking on the tombs again post game to attempt all the challenges.

The latter was fantastic. I hope they make another at some point. There are still thousands of episode references left unused, so there is no concern about lack of material. If I was not familiar with the show I would have said, "What the gently caress?!" every few minutes, only because everything is so absurd. One of the funniest games I have played in a long time though. Some of the mini-games and fart tutorials were a little goofy due to instructions, but other than that I could tell Obsidian pumped a lot of love in the game. I definitely recommend it, especially if you have ever watched at least a single episode and enjoyed it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Ragequit posted:

The latter was fantastic. I hope they make another at some point. There are still thousands of episode references left unused, so there is no concern about lack of material. If I was not familiar with the show I would have said, "What the gently caress?!" every few minutes, only because everything is so absurd. One of the funniest games I have played in a long time though. Some of the mini-games and fart tutorials were a little goofy due to instructions, but other than that I could tell Obsidian pumped a lot of love in the game. I definitely recommend it, especially if you have ever watched at least a single episode and enjoyed it.

I love how the first act starts off pretty goofy but not too crazy. And then poo poo just ramps the gently caress up into overdrive and you know this is going to be the best thing you play for years when you reach Canada.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Demiurge4 posted:

I love how the first act starts off pretty goofy but not too crazy. And then poo poo just ramps the gently caress up into overdrive and you know this is going to be the best thing you play for years when you reach Canada.

Canada was great until I got dire-AIDS. Then it was fantastic.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Quick question about notifications. I encountered this phisher a few weeks ago in CS attempting to scam skins out of people. I promptly laughed at him and blocked him but every 5 days or so I log in and see I have notifications...from a blocked person. Any way to permanently get rid of these? Because I, in fact, do not care if someone I don't want to talk to has been messaging me.

It's not that big of a deal but unblocking him, reading his messages and then reblocking him seems to be the only way to get rid of the notifications.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

fennesz posted:

Quick question about notifications. I encountered this phisher a few weeks ago in CS attempting to scam skins out of people. I promptly laughed at him and blocked him but every 5 days or so I log in and see I have notifications...from a blocked person. Any way to permanently get rid of these? Because I, in fact, do not care if someone I don't want to talk to has been messaging me.

It's not that big of a deal but unblocking him, reading his messages and then reblocking him seems to be the only way to get rid of the notifications.

delete them from your friends list, after blocking, to avoid this issue

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Hey thread, asking this for a friend since I have absolutely no idea re: gaming laptops.

Is there a recommended brand? Already told him to avoid Alienware.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

If you feed Steam too many keys and it throws up and temporarily locks you out due to "unsuccessful activation attempts", how long does that crap last?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Azran posted:

Hey thread, asking this for a friend since I have absolutely no idea re: gaming laptops.

Is there a recommended brand? Already told him to avoid Alienware.
Avoid Alienware/Razer, Asus and MSI are fairly good (depending on deal you get), fairly good also are Clevo-based gaming laptops, though most of them typically are ugly and heavy, if that is an issue. I'd suggest checking it up with laptop megathread guys.
Common wisdom, either way, is to have Intel+Nvidia with GPU being 7XXM or younger, and only GTX cards (GT only with XX = 50 or more).

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Yeah I'd say in-general ASUS are really good-quality computers. My current desktop's an ASUS and I've heard nothing but good things about them.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

SelenicMartian posted:

If you feed Steam too many keys and it throws up and temporarily locks you out due to "unsuccessful activation attempts", how long does that crap last?

I believe the lock is for an hour, but if you try to enter any keys in during the locked period, it'll just reset the timer back to zero.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah I'd say in-general ASUS are really good-quality computers. My current desktop's an ASUS and I've heard nothing but good things about them.
You paid money for a prebuilt mainstream desktop. :psyduck:

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack
Has anybody who ordered Gat Out Of Hell from Gamestop gotten their key yet?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I Am Frick posted:

I believe those don't go out until the game is released.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

I Am Frick posted:

Considering that the game isn't out yet, I'd think the answer's no.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

kalstrams posted:

You paid money for a prebuilt mainstream desktop. :psyduck:

Yeah, I didn't use stock parts I added a PSU, additional RAM, a hard-drive and a better graphics card. I don't give enough of a poo poo to nickel-and-dime my way to saving 25 bucks on building my own computer, on top of having to screw everything down and plug everything in. I know that's like a Bizarro Alien Concept to the Something Awful Forums but whatever.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, I didn't use stock parts I added a PSU, additional RAM, a hard-drive and a better graphics card. I don't give enough of a poo poo to nickel-and-dime my way to saving 25 bucks on building my own computer, on top of having to screw everything down and plug everything in. I know that's like a Bizarro Alien Concept to the Something Awful Forums but whatever.

I used to build my own computers and gently caress doing that nowadays. It's easy as hell to build one once you know how really but I don't have the time or effort anymore to go through with it. Just easier to pop in and get a pre-build.

Just don't buy alienware though, they are the monster cables of pre-builts.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The day I get my whizbang new graphics card hooked up, Steam shits the bed. :negative:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's really weird, I thought it was just me because all their web stuff is still up and running, but apparently not.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I couldn't log in but after trying a few times I got in.

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean
Looks like Warlock 2 and its DLC is at a hefty discount for the next day. Is it worth it and play different enough from Endless Legend (which I like) to check out?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Red Mundus posted:

I couldn't log in but after trying a few times I got in.

Looks like it's better for the moment. At one point over half of the NA servers were down according to SteamStat.us.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Regarding Saints Row, I tried the fourth game first and didn't find it funny at all.

Then I decided to try 2 and it's loving hilarious, well enough so deal with the godawful console menus. Kinda goes to show that when everything is a joke, nothing is. Everyone should play the second though.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Glad they're doing this Civ:BE free weekend, because it's convinced me that I was smart not to buy it yet. I keep finding annoying little UI things and poorly documented game mechanics that are making it more of a chore than an enjoyable experience. Like how do they swap around what a tech does but not update the text on the tech tree? I guess that's par for the course for Civ games, though. They usually take several patches to turn into something good.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Finished my low chaos/no kills/ghost run of the Dishonored DLC, it wasn't as hard as I thought at first, especially after going through it on high chaos and scouting every corner of the levels. Bend Time + Blink is beautifully broken for stealthing your way past a big number of enemies, level 2 of Bend Time in general is pretty much a win button right there. I know people gave warnings earlier of having their no kills run screwed by having knocked out enemies being eaten by rats that just spawn out of thin air, so I took care to put the few I knocked out somewhere high. Sometimes funny things happen, especially when you think it's a good idea to put the body on the highest point of a level.

(first he did this weird combo of backflip and auto fellatio and then second time after I made my way all the way down, he fell all those stories and landed right next to me with a nasty crunch, sorry guy :shrug:)

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, I'm having fun with the Beyond Earth free weekend but its totally not worth $30 bucks because the inevitable expansion packs will most likely make it far better.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer
*is capable of building a PC but doesn't have any free time* *buys pre-built gaming pc*

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

Well, that isn't weird concept as long as you realize that you are overpaying. Whether if purposefully overpaying is a weird thing is another question, but it is highly specific from person to person.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

kalstrams posted:

Well, that isn't weird concept as long as you realize that you are overpaying.

Yes. It's in the comment you're quoting. ("I don't give enough of a poo poo to nickel-and-dime my way to saving 25 bucks on building my own computer")

Pews posted:

*is capable of building a PC but doesn't have any free time* *buys pre-built gaming pc*

Video games are fun.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pews posted:

The difference in cost is basically whatever you value your time. I value it pretty highly.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mycot posted:

Yes. It's in the comment you're quoting. ("I don't give enough of a poo poo to nickel-and-dime my way to saving 25 bucks on building my own computer")

Video games are fun.
Yes, that is why I say to him that it isn't "Bizarro Alien Concept". He also underestimates the cost difference, $25 does not seem to be plausible, unless computer costs $250 total.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

kalstrams posted:

Yes, that is why I say to him that it isn't "Bizarro Alien Concept". He also underestimates the cost difference, $25 does not seem to be plausible, unless computer costs $250 total.

Or he could be using rhetorical nonliteral language to emphasize the point.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mycot posted:

Or he could be using rhetorical nonliteral language to emphasize the point.
Saying "$25" does not seem to emphasize that you can save significantly by not getting prebuilts. Also, have you tried posting about Steam and Steam games in this thread?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

kalstrams posted:

Saying "$25" does not seem to emphasize that you can save significantly by not getting prebuilts. Also, have you tried posting about Steam and Steam games in this thread?

You read the exact opposite point, the idea is that the money saved (from building a computer) isn't significant enough to feel worth it, not that buying a prebuilt saves you money. And I still never got advice about Startopia.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mycot posted:

You read the exact opposite point, the idea is that the money saved (from building a computer) isn't significant enough to feel worth it. And I still never got advice about Startopia.
World, where 10%+, on average, isn't significant, beats me.

With regards to Startopia, I doubt you will ever get an advice, barely anyone plays it nowadays. Especially if you keep expecting people do dig up your posts from god knows when, given the rate that this thread moves.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

kalstrams posted:

World, where 10%+, on average, isn't significant, beats me.

With regards to Startopia, I doubt you will ever get an advice, barely anyone plays it nowadays. Especially if you keep expecting people do dig up your posts from god knows when, given the rate that this thread moves.

Goons recommending games they don't play? Impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why wouldn't I recommend Startopia even if I haven't played it in like 5 years

• Locked thread