Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Epicurius posted:

Tunics. Think of a tunic as sort of a long, open shirt that goes down to the knees or ankles. You generally wore them belted at the waist.

So pyjamas, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Jack2142 posted:

One thing to note is by the time of Justinian lots of Romans were dressing up like Huns & Khazars at least for military campaigns.

Romans didn’t wear togas on campaign in the late republic and after, though that apparently had not always been true. Conventional wear for soldiers under the late republic and high empire was a tunic and sagum (cloak).

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’m shocked that there aren’t any of the sort of weirdos who wear utilikilts and poo poo like that who have adopted the tunic

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’m shocked that there aren’t any of the sort of weirdos who wear utilikilts and poo poo like that who have adopted the tunic

oh I'm sure if you showed them a cargo tunic they'd drop their cargo skirts in a heartbeat

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is some Late Roman artwork showing a tunic:

Even when it was popular, wearing a toga everywhere would be like wearing full black tie everywhere. It's a giant piece of cloth that has to be folded and draped over the body in a specific manner to be worn, with one of your arms helping hold it up. It was still regarded as the national costume of Rome, but it was so impractical and annoying to put on and walk around in that people only kept wearing it because they were legally obligated to for certain official functions.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Didn’t only patricians wear togas

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

euphronius posted:

No, hence Cato's famous black toga of mourning. Any citizen could wear them, but in practice, they were only worn on ceremonial or official occasions by people who had reason to do so.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

euphronius posted:

No, plebeian aristocrats and knights would have worn them too. In theory every male citizen wore one, in practice it was probably limited to the elite, but never the patriciate. Cato wore an old-fashioned toga without tunic precisely to make the point that he was plebeian and Roman as hell.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

euphronius posted:

In practice the lower classes didn't wear them often, but they were formalwear for all Romans. Senatorial class were legally required to wear them in public at various times. Thinking of them like a tuxedo in a modern western country isn't too far off. Culturally they're more like a suit, but people wear suits way more often than Romans were wearing togas.

Tunics were normal clothing, but these were the replacements for togas in formal contexts:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pallium_(Roman_cloak)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paenula

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 5, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Kilts were adopted because it was too impractical to wear the full toga-like plaid.

Although I wonder if long tunics with velcro loin-girding could happen.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
What was worn under the toga, tunic or cloak?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Weka posted:

What was worn under the toga, tunic or cloak?

:heysexy:

Suetonius posted:

When [Caesar] saw that he was beset on every side by drawn daggers, he muffled his head in his robe, and at the same time drew down its lap to his feet with his left hand, in order to fall more decently, with the lower part of his body also covered.

Zopotantor fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 5, 2020

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The multiple accounts of people putting themselves into a dignified position to die in while under pressure (literally their life is on the line) makes wonder if upper class Romans would like, practice dying with grace

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If you're going to die might as well die well.

Global Disorder
Jan 9, 2020

cheetah7071 posted:

The multiple accounts of people putting themselves into a dignified position to die in while under pressure (literally their life is on the line) makes wonder if upper class Romans would like, practice dying with grace

Whether "dying stylishly and graciously after saying some wicked last words" actually happened often or was just the way people expected the best Romans to die, so it ended up being how biographers and historians back then depicted their deaths, it's still really interesting. Makes you think about how much of their lives was supposed to be a constant flawless and self-conscious performance.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Having meaningful last words was a Homeric/heroic thing (which is to say it was very deeply ingrained). Cool guys are supposed to have something to say as they’re going.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

skasion posted:

Having meaningful last words was a Homeric/heroic thing (which is to say it was very deeply ingrained). Cool guys are supposed to have something to say as they’re going.

Gods give me the strength to be able to tell my killer I hosed his mom, sister and dad before I pass this mortal coil.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Global Disorder posted:

Whether "dying stylishly and graciously after saying some wicked last words" actually happened often or was just the way people expected the best Romans to die, so it ended up being how biographers and historians back then depicted their deaths, it's still really interesting. Makes you think about how much of their lives was supposed to be a constant flawless and self-conscious performance.
It's the same for everyone on earth; you don't notice in your case because you are used to your own society. It's not like people who share your culture are the only people who are "normal" and everyone else has "a culture"

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

skasion posted:

I mean, it's hard to beat "Either this wallpaper goes or I do" as parting shots?

Probably apocryphal but :drat:.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
“Eugghhh... tell Cato... his sister... was a good lay, Brute”

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
"Et tu Brute" is actually cut off from "Et tu Brute, ego mater tua fututam."?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
All famous last words end with a fart.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Considering that only twenty of seventy emperors died of natural causes, practicing how you might die wasn't that dumb.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
When I was a kid obsessed with ancient Egypt and with various mummies, bog people, and so on in general I'd play mummy and imagine various cool positions and scenarios for archaeologists to find my body in.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Alhazred posted:

Considering that only twenty of seventy emperors died of natural causes, practicing how you might die wasn't that dumb.

The ratio was even worse when it was happening to 'ol Julius, too!

:v:

Global Disorder
Jan 9, 2020
In the Roman game of thrones, you win then you die.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Global Disorder posted:

In the Roman game of thrones, you win then you die.
I assume all these dudes died. Otherwise they would still be around.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Rockopolis posted:

"Et tu Brute" is actually cut off from "Et tu Brute, ego mater tua fututam."?

Obviously you meant this as a joke, but some people did interpret "kai su teknon" as Caesar literally claiming to be Brutus's father. Historians today generally agree that this interpretation is very implausible, though

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I kinda feel like the lack of things to do in the ancient world, it wouldn't be surprising if some of them wound up obsessing over ways they could die in their spare time.

I remember some botched their own suicides though, so clearly not everybody rehearsed.

HEY GUNS posted:

I assume all these dudes died. Otherwise they would still be around.

Ancient History: I assume all these dudes died. Otherwise they would still be around.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

When I was a kid obsessed with ancient Egypt and with various mummies, bog people, and so on in general I'd play mummy and imagine various cool positions and scenarios for archaeologists to find my body in.

I want to be buried with a bunch of anachronistic and weird stuff purely to confuse future archeologists.

A broadsword, seven hundred tiny ceramic Buddhas, fuzzy handcuffs, a clay tablet of the epic of Gilgamesh written in Gaelic, a stuffed puffin (erotic) , and a pegleg. Just a smorgasbord of random things.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

FreudianSlippers posted:

I want to be buried with a bunch of anachronistic and weird stuff purely to confuse future archeologists.

A broadsword, seven hundred tiny ceramic Buddhas, fuzzy handcuffs, a clay tablet of the epic of Gilgamesh written in Gaelic, a stuffed puffin (erotic) , and a pegleg. Just a smorgasbord of random things.

Your grave gets looted and the only thing that remains is the stuffed erotic puffin. You are now forever known in the literature as the Puffin Fucker Burial.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

FreudianSlippers posted:

Cyber archaeologist shrugs, files this as "ritual"

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

FreudianSlippers posted:

"His grave was filled with offerings for every conceivable god. Truly, he must have committed unspeakable perversions to require such absolution as he moved into the afterlife."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Communist Walrus posted:

"His grave was filled with offerings for every conceivable god. Truly, he must have committed unspeakable perversions to require such absolution as he moved into the afterlife."

It's not like it was uncommon to give offerings to different gods. When Rollo died he gave 100 pounds of silver to the church and 100 prisoners of war to Odin, just to be sure.

Reminds me of a Terry Pratchett quote:
The Quirmian philosopher Ventre put forward the suggestion that "Possibly the gods exist, and possibly they do not. So why not believe in them in any case? If it's all true you'll go to a lovely place when you die, and if it isn't then you've lost nothing, right?"

When he died he woke up in a circle of gods holding nasty-looking sticks and one of them said "We're going to show you what we think of Mr Clever Dick in these parts..."

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Mar 8, 2020

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The idea of religious exclusivity in that sense is -- well I can't say it's rare because Islam and Christianity have done well for themselves, but it certainly hasn't been the general consensus, let's put it that way.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nessus posted:

The idea of religious exclusivity in that sense is -- well I can't say it's rare because Islam and Christianity have done well for themselves, but it certainly hasn't been the general consensus, let's put it that way.

Judaism was considered pretty weird in the ancient world for that reason. Why don't you just get with the programme and worship the emperor as a god, nobody else has a problem with it!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

One Discworld book has a bit about Dwarves often being buried with an axe because although they don't believe in demons they're not sure the demons know this.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Alhazred posted:

It's not like it was uncommon to give offerings to different gods. When Rollo died he gave 100 pounds of silver to the church and 100 prisoners of war to Odin, just to be sure.

Reminds me of a Terry Pratchett quote:
The Quirmian philosopher Ventre put forward the suggestion that "Possibly the gods exist, and possibly they do not. So why not believe in them in any case? If it's all true you'll go to a lovely place when you die, and if it isn't then you've lost nothing, right?"

When he died he woke up in a circle of gods holding nasty-looking sticks and one of them said "We're going to show you what we think of Mr Clever Dick in these parts..."

I mean that was a funny little passage, but it's basically Pascal's Wager, right?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Elyv posted:

I mean that was a funny little passage, but it's basically Pascal's Wager, right?

It's making a joke about Pascal's wager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

feedmegin posted:

Judaism was considered pretty weird in the ancient world for that reason. Why don't you just get with the programme and worship the emperor as a god, nobody else has a problem with it!

Stoicism contributed too. The idea of the Logos, a consequence is that there is one natural law that everybody is under. That allows for the idea of one world state that everybody might be under. That’s tied up with monotheism and both Judaism and Christianity.