Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

when I'm not using my CV1 I unplug it and put it in a drawer and I've done that since day one

wow what an awful page snipe :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

any other VR sales besides Steam? I haven't paid much attention to recent Steam sales but aren't there usually some competing sales elsewhere?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

GutBomb posted:

The Xbox Scorpio or whatever they call it would need DisplayPort output for Rift S compatibility and that doesn’t seem too likely.

The right kind of HDMI adapter works on the Rift S though.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

FBS posted:

when I'm not using my CV1 I unplug it and put it in a drawer and I've done that since day one

wow what an awful page snipe :rip:

VR Megathread: Unplug it and put it in a drawer.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When I'm not using my CV1, I sell it on Craiglist and then I buy a new one when I want to do some VR.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Penpal posted:

any other VR sales besides Steam? I haven't paid much attention to recent Steam sales but aren't there usually some competing sales elsewhere?

Oculus has usually had a summer sale, but it hasn't started yet, and I don't know if they've announced when it will. Could just be they don't want to run it concurrent with the steam sale so it gets more attention or something.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Sounds good, there are some titles on the Oculus store I want to pick up.

Also there will be more No Man's Sky VR news July 9th. Can't say I'm not excited

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So we won't know how it is until after the steam sale. Guess I'm waiting until the next sale.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Cojawfee posted:

When I'm not using my CV1, I sell it on Craiglist and then I buy a new one when I want to do some VR.

I gave mine to my son :)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Oculus Support posted:

Thanks for reaching out to Oculus Support. I'd be happy to assist you further.
In regards to your Oculus app re-opening and the blue light on the headset coming on, this is because the headset is being left plugged into the computer.
When the Rift S is plugged in, it prompts the software to connect and open. We recommend disconnecting your Rift S from your computer if you do not want it to prompt the Oculus Home app to open.

:thumbsup:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Penpal posted:

Sounds good, there are some titles on the Oculus store I want to pick up.

Also there will be more No Man's Sky VR news July 9th. Can't say I'm not excited

Is $30 a decent price for that?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Enos Cabell posted:

Is $30 a decent price for that?

$30 is as cheap as it's ever been. Whether that's good value is a personal matter but I doubt it will be any cheaper until well after the VR update is out this summer

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

FBS posted:

$30 is as cheap as it's ever been. Whether that's good value is a personal matter but I doubt it will be any cheaper until well after the VR update is out this summer

Sounds like a good time to buy in then, thanks!

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Wait aren’t you the guy who leaves it on a mannequin head?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Does the Rift S not have an option to not turn on when it detects something in the headset? That seems pretty stupid.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Does the Rift S not have an option to not turn on when it detects something in the headset? That seems pretty stupid.

It does. That support rep worded things very weirdly and didn’t understand the problem. It works just like the rift cv1 in that regard. Sometimes when I’m not using mine I notice the blue light on but the software doesn’t start until it detects that something is wearing the headset.

Some people report the software seems to start out of nowhere without putting the headset on but I haven’t seen that myself. And if you stop the oculus vr service then it won’t start the software when you put it on.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

The right kind of HDMI adapter works on the Rift S though.

Does it? Oculus says they don’t work and there’s a bunch of people on the oculus forum trying different ones and none have worked.

That being said, Microsoft could just include a virtual-link port and a dongle in the box for it so the fact that it probably doesn’t have a DisplayPort does not preclude it from eventually happening.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah I'd be interested in hearing of one that works. I got a cable matters brand to try on my laptop and it didn't work at all.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GutBomb posted:

It does. That support rep worded things very weirdly and didn’t understand the problem. It works just like the rift cv1 in that regard. Sometimes when I’m not using mine I notice the blue light on but the software doesn’t start until it detects that something is wearing the headset.

Some people report the software seems to start out of nowhere without putting the headset on but I haven’t seen that myself. And if you stop the oculus vr service then it won’t start the software when you put it on.

Ahh I see; it's just ignoring the settings then? I think I'm with you now :hmmyes:.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I would be somewhat surprised if the new Xbox didn't have a DisplayPort output option. They're selling it on claims of 8K, and DisplayPort devices supporting that have been on the market for longer than HDMI devices have; the cost of wiring in an extra video output seems pretty small compared to the gain from being able to sell 8k to more consumers.

Plus MS have never been ones to shy away from DP; most of the Surface line only has mini-DP outputs, no HDMI at all.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

lol 8k

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NRVNQSR posted:

Plus MS have never been ones to shy away from DP; most of the Surface line only has mini-DP outputs, no HDMI at all.

Mini-DP is a small form factor for a device that is built to be as slim as possible, and HDMI adapters exist for a pretty reasonable price.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So Valve had a launch party for the Index and released some tidbits. One of them was that they're trying for untethered PCVR, but not sure whether it'll be an add-on or something for the Index 2, that they're trying to iterate (i.e. certainly faster than the 3 years between first gen and whatever this one is), and that there's exciting new display and optics tech on the horizon (presumably hitting the Index 2).

Also, who'd have thought that using a notoriously unreliable European parcel service would get like at least one third of the dispatched headsets delayed. :saddowns:

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Combat Pretzel posted:

So Valve had a launch party for the Index and released some tidbits. One of them was that they're trying for untethered PCVR, but not sure whether it'll be an add-on or something for the Index 2, that they're trying to iterate (i.e. certainly faster than the 3 years between first gen and whatever this one is), and that there's exciting new display and optics tech on the horizon (presumably hitting the Index 2).

Also, who'd have thought that using a notoriously unreliable European parcel service would get like at least one third of the dispatched headsets delayed. :saddowns:

That sounds like wireless with an expanded fov and even less sde (the dual optics thing reduces thst right?) Which would totally rock obvs

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is shipping in Europe just bad? It seems like any time any device ever is released, people in Europe yell about how lovely the shipping experience was.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

They're using GLS in Europe. They're a smaller company in comparison to DHL, UPS et al, so things are more iffy. It's just a couple of days of delay. Hopefully anyway. They're however still better than Hermes, which runs pretty much on modern slavery (at least within Germany).

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Surprise Giraffe posted:

That sounds like wireless with an expanded fov and even less sde (the dual optics thing reduces thst right?) Which would totally rock obvs

SDE is determined by the pitch between the pixels and the number of subpixels per pixel. RGB displays have more subpixels per pixel and the index has a very advanced LCD with very fine pitch.
Optics help with clarity, fov, image quality (focus related aspects) and usable pixels.
I’ve read that the Vive and Vive pro have a lot of wasted pixels because the optics literally can’t deliver them to your eye.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I suppose with sufficiently high PPD, you can afford a very minor diffuser or bi-refringent layer to get rid of the remaining SDE, without making it blurry.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Can anyone with a rift S confirm, the new update 1.39 on the PTC is supposed to have massive improvements to controller tracking occlution and close in tracking to the headset. According the this place called the internet.

Seems pretty big, especially with the recent conversation on if theres anything they can even do to improve tracking close to the cameras.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I can confirm they definitely fixed/improved something. Anecdotally it's much better near your face and it doesn't seem to lose tracking unless the controller is touching the headset or the plane of the circle is parallel with the front of the headset. But the thing that's 100% definitely better is moving quickly, in Echo Arena with the S the harder you throw the faster the disc goes (there's some nuance where for some reason the Rift has a speed cap the S doesn't), and for the past week or two they broke something and when you did that your hand would disappear for sometimes up to 5 seconds. Now it's rock solid again and doesn't disappear (this is how it was at launch). So I'm assuming the close to the face stuff is probably not placebo and is actually tracking better.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Is shipping in Europe just bad? It seems like any time any device ever is released, people in Europe yell about how lovely the shipping experience was.

It's just that it's really inconsistent since there are a ton of companies and most don't deliver to every country. In Sweden GLS subcontracted it out to DB Schenker, and they seem pretty bad at communicating with recipients. I just got my Index, but had to go to Schenkers site and input the tracking number from the GLS site, only to find out it was at a pick-up point instead of being delivered to my home. But hey, at least I got it today and not next week.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Lemming posted:

I can confirm they definitely fixed/improved something. Anecdotally it's much better near your face and it doesn't seem to lose tracking unless the controller is touching the headset or the plane of the circle is parallel with the front of the headset. But the thing that's 100% definitely better is moving quickly, in Echo Arena with the S the harder you throw the faster the disc goes (there's some nuance where for some reason the Rift has a speed cap the S doesn't), and for the past week or two they broke something and when you did that your hand would disappear for sometimes up to 5 seconds. Now it's rock solid again and doesn't disappear (this is how it was at launch). So I'm assuming the close to the face stuff is probably not placebo and is actually tracking better.

I’ve heard the Touch2 controllers (and Index controllers) feature newer IMU units that have higher maximum tolerances for g forces and velocity. So, that would be why it’s better than OG rift.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

rage-saq posted:

I’ve heard the Touch2 controllers (and Index controllers) feature newer IMU units that have higher maximum tolerances for g forces and velocity. So, that would be why it’s better than OG rift.

Yeah, I know there's a 12 m/s linear velocity limit on the original Touch (although even this is broken sometimes, that might just be something on Echo's side, though) and I'm assuming there's not a similar one for Touch 2. I'm guessing there still *is* a limit, since the value it reports in Echo I can only get up to 16m/s maximum, which is about a 35mph throw, so I'm assuming that's not JUST me being a small weakling. It's possible there's not and it's just the way Echo handles it, but according to the devs they're more or less just using values that the controllers self report.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Lemming posted:

Yeah, I know there's a 12 m/s linear velocity limit on the original Touch (although even this is broken sometimes, that might just be something on Echo's side, though) and I'm assuming there's not a similar one for Touch 2. I'm guessing there still *is* a limit, since the value it reports in Echo I can only get up to 16m/s maximum, which is about a 35mph throw, so I'm assuming that's not JUST me being a small weakling. It's possible there's not and it's just the way Echo handles it, but according to the devs they're more or less just using values that the controllers self report.

It’s a little more complicated than that as there are ways you can still get tracking over 12m/s but the max-g issue is more significant.
https://forums.oculusvr.com/developer/discussion/58893/is-there-a-maximum-tracking-speed-for-oculus-touch-hand-controllers
Would be interested in seeing some similar dives into Touch2.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah, we landed a pretty major update on the latest PTC and it'll also be coming with the next Quest update as well. You'll see much better close to HMD tracking, but it'll also improve reacquisition times and prevent more transient tracking losses.

rage-saq posted:

It’s a little more complicated than that as there are ways you can still get tracking over 12m/s but the max-g issue is more significant.
https://forums.oculusvr.com/developer/discussion/58893/is-there-a-maximum-tracking-speed-for-oculus-touch-hand-controllers
Would be interested in seeing some similar dives into Touch2.

We are working on a blog post that will go into details on both the insight and controller tracking for Quest/Rift S. I don't know the ETA though

WaterIsPoison fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 28, 2019

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

WaterIsPoison posted:

Yeah, we landed a pretty major update on the latest PTC and it'll also be coming with the next Quest update as well. You'll see much better close to HMD tracking, but it'll also improve reacquisition times and prevent more transient tracking losses.

We are working on a blog post that will go into details on both the insight and controller tracking for Quest/Rift S. I don't know the ETA though

Cool, what’s the new IMU in the Touch2? Would like to geek out over the stats.
Wonder if tracking is improved enough that I could Maul on the Quest...

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

rage-saq posted:

Cool, what’s the new IMU in the Touch2? Would like to geek out over the stats.
Wonder if tracking is improved enough that I could Maul on the Quest...

I haven't seen the specific part leak but it doubles the saturation limits from the original touch controllers.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

WaterIsPoison posted:

Yeah I just ran through the target course thing in Contractors and didn't drop tracking at all, loaded up Pavlov on the Quest hoping for something similar and I noticed no change there, you still have to shove your arms out awkwardly. It'll be neat to see the difference between what the S/Quest are capable of. Great stuff.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

WaterIsPoison posted:

Thats pretty rad. Is the close up tracking better the point 90% of issues with 2 handed guns and bow and arrows are resolved now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

rage-saq posted:

Wait aren’t you the guy who leaves it on a mannequin head?

Yeah :v: I've taken the advice in here and it seems good, I think the CV1 relied on movement to wake it up, although it's hit and miss still, it's opening up on its own still.
It's a PSVR stand, it's really cool, but if it turns out to be part of the issue then I can still use it for the CV1
Either way I've had the best advice from this thread, so that rocks :)

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ahh I see; it's just ignoring the settings then? I think I'm with you now :hmmyes:.

It feels like it, but I may be wrong, that happens often