Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Dyz posted:

As a marine comm is it better to recycle PGs so you only have 3 or 4? If you do this you dont end up with 1in every area and your team teleporting 5 times before they get where they need to go.

Absolutely. You want 1 in base, 1 in a centralized location, 1 forward. Maybe 1 more depending on the map, but no more, really. And if you have the one in your expansion, maybe you don't need the central one. Again, depends on the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Dyz posted:

As a marine comm is it better to recycle PGs so you only have 3 or 4? If you do this you dont end up with 1in every area and your team teleporting 5 times before they get where they need to go.

Yes. The best part of the Voogru servers in NS1 was the phase gate menu where using the PG instead brought up a menu and let you select which one to phase to. I miss that. :( Instead you have some wacky order that you'll phase to, and it's impossible to change without recycling and rebuilding them.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Stele007 posted:

Yes. The best part of the Voogru servers in NS1 was the phase gate menu where using the PG instead brought up a menu and let you select which one to phase to. I miss that. :( Instead you have some wacky order that you'll phase to, and it's impossible to change without recycling and rebuilding them.

I think it just phases you to the location closest to you.

In a later patch, I would like to see phasegates re-worked. The combination of having to walk through them, and the netcode of the game leads to situations like sometimes walking through a phasegate only to not have it phase you anywhere.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Stele007 posted:

Instead you have some wacky order that you'll phase to, and it's impossible to change without recycling and rebuilding them.

Isn't the phase order based on the order of construction?

Which certainly is the wrong order in most cases.. as marines will typically want to be going to the newest one.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.

Stele007 posted:

Really wish they'd implement that, I hate having to be the one to yell at the commander that it takes us ages to get to the important places if he has a phase gate to every res node on map. Nothing the aliens like more than responding marines to come one at a time every 10 seconds as a result of trying to figure out which metal corridor room they're in on map after phasing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

While we're talking about convenience, the game really needs a button to "auto select upgrades from previous life" so I can one button evolve after death. I almost always choose the same upgrades every time, and it's a bunch of extra clicks if it's late game and I'm still playing skulk.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

xzzy posted:

While we're talking about convenience, the game really needs a button to "auto select upgrades from previous life" so I can one button evolve after death. I almost always choose the same upgrades every time, and it's a bunch of extra clicks if it's late game and I'm still playing skulk.

Yeah, this has been requested for awhile now. I could have sworn it was one of the top requests in their google request/bug tracker thing.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
There is very little in gaming less fun--on either side--than a cowardly marine team with GLs, jetpacks and three exos just sitting outside the hive camping it forever. Please Just Win The Game, thank you. Thank.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Dave Mustard posted:

Really wish they'd implement that, I hate having to be the one to yell at the commander that it takes us ages to get to the important places if he has a phase gate to every res node on map. Nothing the aliens like more than responding marines to come one at a time every 10 seconds as a result of trying to figure out which metal corridor room they're in on map after phasing.

Actually, this would be terrible, precisely for that reason. Beacon and phase gates already give great mobility.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

xzzy posted:

Isn't the phase order based on the order of construction?

I believe so; there should just be Phase Gate selection when you walk into it and press the according number button. Easy as poo poo.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
I think I would rather see the ability for marine commander to change to destination for each gate individually. Having to manually choose which place to warp to sounds like it would end up killing the flow of the game. I could be wrong though.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

wolfman101 posted:

I think I would rather see the ability for marine commander to change to destination for each gate individually. Having to manually choose which place to warp to sounds like it would end up killing the flow of the game. I could be wrong though.

I think this is a viable solution. If you have more than two phasegates, the commander should be able to set one as the primary. This will give comms one more way to help control his players.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

wolfman101 posted:

Having to manually choose which place to warp to sounds like it would end up killing the flow of the game. I could be wrong though.

If anything it would just make things quicker for Marines to respond. You walk into a Phase, a menu pops up:

1. Sub-Access
2. Data Core
3. Flight Control
4. Crossroads

Press the key and there you go. Someone already mentioned Voogru doing it for his servers and working well, so it should be applicable here as well.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Dave Mustard posted:

If you could travel from any phase gate to any other instantly you could spam them to every single corner of the map. The way it is now is good unless your comm doesn't get the hint when his marines are taking forever to get from point A to point B.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Sire Oblivion posted:

If anything it would just make things quicker for Marines to respond. You walk into a Phase, a menu pops up:

1. Sub-Access
2. Data Core
3. Flight Control
4. Crossroads

Press the key and there you go. Someone already mentioned Voogru doing it for his servers and working well, so it should be applicable here as well.

If you don't pick in a few seconds, it sends you to the closest one

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
On the topic of phase gates, please put them facing the most relevant points of interest (other than the phase gate itself); marines are always a tad disoriented after going through one, so ideally they can figure things out quickly since they'll phase through with their guns pointing at the enemy attack path/other buildings in the base.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ShadowHawk posted:

On the topic of phase gates, please put them facing the most relevant points of interest (other than the phase gate itself); marines are always a tad disoriented after going through one, so ideally they can figure things out quickly since they'll phase through with their guns pointing at the enemy attack path/other buildings in the base.

On a similar note, I really wish they would fix the way you spawn from Infantry Portals. You seemingly spawn in at random orientation each and every loving time.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

On a similar note, I really wish they would fix the way you spawn from Infantry Portals. You seemingly spawn in at random orientation each and every loving time.

At least then you have 7 seconds to reorient yourself. Commanders not considering their team's movements at all when they place stuff is pretty annoying. I can't count the number of times we've had phase gates facing a wall.

Incidentally, is there a way of telling which way a phase gate is facing on inspection? Skulking it'd be nice to know which side to attack to hit people in the back as they come through.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Koramei posted:

At least then you have 7 seconds to reorient yourself.

You would think that, but the game doesn't care which way you're screen is pointing when you actually spawn in. So you really don't have 7 seconds to orient yourself.

Just won a game with a marine team on summit who's comm had no mic. :feelsgood:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

AxeManiac posted:

If you don't pick in a few seconds, it sends you to the closest one

Exactly, I can't imagine this would be hard to implement either.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

You would think that, but the game doesn't care which way you're screen is pointing when you actually spawn in. So you really don't have 7 seconds to orient yourself.

Just won a game with a marine team on summit who's comm had no mic. :feelsgood:

Oh you're totally right :doh: that is really strange, it's not like it would be hard to fix either

My only problem with the phase gates having a menu is that it'll take away the satisfaction of having an incredibly orderly marine team, since everybody'll now have to be a few seconds apart. But I suppose that's basically the case 99% of the time anyway.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

ShadowHawk posted:

Koramei posted:

Incidentally, is there a way of telling which way a phase gate is facing on inspection? Skulking it'd be nice to know which side to attack to hit people in the back as they come through.

Phase gates are pretty poorly coded right now to the point where you have no idea which side you will come out or which direction you'll even be facing, which can either be the way you went in or direct opposite. There's an arc displayed for the commander when he drops the phase gate but this seems to have zero relevancy.

There's some form of sane coding involved and it isn't completely random but if you go back through the phase gate the same way you came in it appears to mess the whole thing up. The only thing guaranteed is that it'll go in order from first built to last built.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
That's not true at all, the comm can set an exit direction for the gate and it's the same every time you go through it.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Koramei posted:

At least then you have 7 seconds to reorient yourself. Commanders not considering their team's movements at all when they place stuff is pretty annoying. I can't count the number of times we've had phase gates facing a wall.

A couple days ago my comm built a phase right next to a wall so that every marine who phased through got stuck in the wall

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Garfu posted:

That's not true at all, the comm can set an exit direction for the gate and it's the same every time you go through it.

I just played around with it for over an hour on a private server. The exit direction (arc) has no relevancy.

edit- actually it seems like the exit direction sets the way you'll be facing which can flip you around if you go in backwards. It doesn't determine which side you exit on though.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 15, 2013

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Cyks posted:

I just played around with it for over an hour on a private server. The exit direction (arc) has no relevancy.

edit- actually it seems like the exit direction sets the way you'll be facing which can flip you around if you go in backwards. It doesn't determine which side you exit on though.
I kept meaning to ask this here. When you place the gate, there's an arc indicating the 'front' of the gate, but I'm not sure if it's front->back or front->front when you phase.

I always assumed it was front->front, so I put the front of the gate facing the infantry portals, and the front of the exit gate facing the corridor where aliens come from. If it's front->front, you'll go in the gate and come out facing the corridor. If it's front->back, you'll come out facing the wall. If I can get this straight, I think I might put all my phase gates against the wall, since it gives skulks less room to maneuver around and dodge.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would never put them against a wall. When I play marine I want as much space around the PG as I can get. Reason one being that I seem to pop out depending on which side of the entrance portal I used, and reason two being when I have to make multiple hops, it's easier to clear the gate so I can turn around and hop back in. On some maps there are spots where a PG can be placed that will get marines stuck.. they clip into a wall and can't move. Or jerk commanders that mush a PG right next to the armory, meaning I'll get sucked through the portal when trying to reload. :argh:

I understand the value of making PG's hard to attack but in a tense fight I think I'd much rather risk vulnerability to improve usability.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

xzzy posted:

reason two being when I have to make multiple hops, it's easier to clear the gate so I can turn around and hop back in.

Also if ya phase and just sit there, you'll auto phase again after a second or so. I usually do that and hold C so I can look for my arrow to keep my orientation of where I am and what direction I'm facing. Unless dem alien doggies are on one of our gates - then I jump, spaz out, and start shooting as soon as I go through until I get the right one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

teh_Broseph posted:

Also if ya phase and just sit there, you'll auto phase again after a second or so. I usually do that and hold C so I can look for my arrow to keep my orientation of where I am and what direction I'm facing. Unless dem alien doggies are on one of our gates - then I jump, spaz out, and start shooting as soon as I go through until I get the right one.

That I didn't know. I always try to move a little bit to try and trigger another teleportation.. which doesn't work. So I figure it won't work until I run away a little bit to reset the trigger, and run back through.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
The best thing about being late to an exo train is walking across half the map in your exo, only to have the train kill 2 hives and win before you do anything.

jp marine for life.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Does anyone know the actual damage formula for bile bomb? I know that at the very least it has a different amount for players/exos than listed in the wiki (it might be right for structures, not sure). Also I'm pretty sure how close to the center of the hit the object is determines damage, and aliens block the damage splash just like marines and bullets.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

xzzy posted:

I would never put them against a wall.

Putting the Phase against a wall lowers the angles of attack Aliens can come at. Also, putting one in the corner, flanked by 2 Sentries, makes it nearly impossible for a Skulk to just sit there and take it out. The biggest issue is Marines getting stuck, which has happened to me before. :smith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, I get the defensive advantage of putting them on the wall. I just fall in the camp where it's more important to make sure they're useful for marines. Wasting time trying to navigate the commander's maze at the same time he's begging me to get somewhere and stop an alien rush just makes me want to F4.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:
Phasegates in The Gap, Crevice or Cave sometimes have other issues with placement. :negative:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Guesticles posted:

Phasegates in The Gap, Crevice or Cave sometimes have other issues with placement. :negative:

I've personally never seen this happen, but just imagining it is making me laugh :v:

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I've personally never seen this happen, but just imagining it is making me laugh :v:

Happened to me once in The Gap, and happened on my team once in Cave but com fixed it before I phased.

The best part of the one in the Gap was it was the "back" of the phase gate, so it was only about 50% of the time.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Guesticles posted:

...back in a bit, I need to go com marines for a minute.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

A note to whomever runs the knife the hippo server. When we enabled random teams, anyone going to the ready room gets put onto the alien team, no matter what the team numbers are. Queue 5 second rounds as people constantly unbalance the teams. It is rather amusing, but completely broken.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I've been playing a ton of lerk lately and I'm getting pretty decent at it, but I have a few questions.

Is there an increase in flight speed with celerity? If there is I'm having trouble noticing it and I think I'd be better off taking adrenaline later in the game when that's available.

What's a decent late game lerk strat? In the early game I am a terror to marines while I swoop at them firing spikes while I close in to bite them for a kill. But this doesn't hold up as well for me in the late game. Late game I tend to find myself playing hit and run on RTs, power nodes, and sentry batteries and not doing a whole lot of marine killing. Should I just keep doing this and supporting pushes with gas and umbra?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Wildtortilla posted:

I've been playing a ton of lerk lately and I'm getting pretty decent at it, but I have a few questions.

Is there an increase in flight speed with celerity? If there is I'm having trouble noticing it and I think I'd be better off taking adrenaline later in the game when that's available.

What's a decent late game lerk strat? In the early game I am a terror to marines while I swoop at them firing spikes while I close in to bite them for a kill. But this doesn't hold up as well for me in the late game. Late game I tend to find myself playing hit and run on RTs, power nodes, and sentry batteries and not doing a whole lot of marine killing. Should I just keep doing this and supporting pushes with gas and umbra?

Yes there is an increase in flight speed when you have celerity, but keep in mind celerity doesn't work when you're in combat, so the minute you get hit you lose your speed advantage. For this reason I've started to take adrenaline instead, because it showed allows you to completely shower a whole room with spores and allows you enough energy to fly away also.

• Locked thread