Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

2house2fly posted:

Holy poo poo. An avatar, you say?

On RPG Codex. Might be wrong (I haven't been there in forever now), but I generally am suspicious of people who go around parading Nazi stuff around because they usually end up being Nazis rather than people just very interested in Hugo Boss's fashion designs from the 1930's-1940's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

GloomMouse posted:

Let me import the fact that I stole a baby

Already confirmed that that particular detail is being acknowledged.

~CONSEQUENCES~

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Forget my soul, if Eothas steals my baby after I rightfully stole him in the first place, there will be a reckoning!

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Wow, ive never looked at this before.

Wonder if they will have a token reference to the ending where you dont finish white march part 2 and the eyeless destroy the dyrwood and take down Caed Nua

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

SunAndSpring posted:

On RPG Codex. Might be wrong (I haven't been there in forever now), but I generally am suspicious of people who go around parading Nazi stuff around because they usually end up being Nazis rather than people just very interested in Hugo Boss's fashion designs from the 1930's-1940's.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/colony-ship-rpg-update-11.113028/#post-4914245

Nah, the avatar and SS rank are totally ironic. Get it? Huh?? :godwinning:

To be fair, that's an awfully snazzy outfit.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

SunAndSpring posted:

As far as I can tell, the only fascists in Decadence are the Imperial Guard, and they are never portrayed as anything but assholes. But then most everyone in that game is an rear end in a top hat so it could be hard to say.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

OT but if anyone loves gossip (and who doesn't), a guy who worked on Armored Warfare apparently got away with not signing an NDA and is dishing

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
Bummer. I hope they got a bunch of cash out of the Russkies before it all went bad.

Also noticed that South Park 2 has been delayed yet again. Apparently handing that job to an internal studio hasn't made Matt & Trey any easier to work with.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

2house2fly posted:

That feel when I die 25 hours in and my save is deleted:

Just back-up your saves and beat the game. That way you not only get the Achievement but ropekid will put a text file on your computer calling you out on cheating :allears:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
The problem with AoD is the design of the core game should be good, it's just so awfully balanced.

Like hey, combat should be challenging unless you spec for combat right? I mean only a trained soldier should survive most encounters! And even then a trained soldier can't take on multiple enemies often! As a game idea this is sound.

But that's not the case. You can put every starting point into swords/combat skills, spend all your initial money on armor/weapons, and still get murdered by a bum with a bottle. Because the devs didn't balance out the various weapon skills very well, and swords just aren't very good. This stays the case until around midway through the game if you've been putting every single skill point into combat/swords.

Meanwhile you can put half as many points into axes and clear the entire game with a naked character that has zero points in any combat skills. Why? Who knows! The devs have come onto the forums and put out a bullshit talk about how it's realistic and axes are just a better real world weapon, so it's not changing.

And the entire game is busted like that. If you want to go diplomat, that's a fun path sure. But you might as well not even put a few points into swords/combat skills because you'll never be good enough to even hold your own in a 1v1 fight. You are forced to solve every puzzle with diplomacy, no matter how bad that leaves your character/the world. They could have easily developed it so with 5-10 points in something you couldn't take a trained soldier/group, but you could take a bum/random street toughs, but instead you need to fully focus combat skills to even think about handling any of the fights in the game, so you just.....don't fight. Which would be great if you could PS:T the game up and just never fight anybody, but to finish the main storyline you need to kill a number of real tough things that you can't unless you completely focused weapon skills ( or went axes, because once again ??? ).

And they don't include ways around this! They could have made paths specific to the diplomat where if you knew a fight was coming you could go to the guards/Legion/your allied faction and say "Hey, I'm not a capable fighter, but we are friends, care to send some guys to this major plot event." . But I never saw that in any of the times I played through the game. Basically the two times I went noncombat ( ie my diplomat noncombatent and my stealth/theft focused thief ) I couldn't beat the game because I lacked the combat skills required to finish it.

Worse is that most of the side skills just don't do anything. Many are only used in a single quest, or a few quests total. But without those skills at x level, you can't actually do those quests, and will either be turned away/killed for trying. So a vast majority of the game is attempting quests, figuring out what the skill checks are, writing them down, deciding which quests you want to do next time, then preparing your next character to have the skills needed to do x/y/z quests. You basically roguelike your way through the act of character creation until you come up with the character that can actually do the quests needed to finish the x questchain and do the skillchecks needed to pass it.

There is a perfect character that can do all the content in the game, if you go axes and exact numbers for each skill thing you can do all the content. But to know that you either need a guide, or need to play through each path writing down the checks as you see them, and gently caress that!

There are some really, really neat ideas in AoD. It's just so janky and poorly balanced it's hard to recommend it.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 13, 2017

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

So what I'm reading is that Age of Decadence was made by people who thought SPECIAL was a well designed and implemented skill system

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

How could that possibly have happened

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

GloomMouse posted:

I think O is the one with the +WIS, but yeah PS:T is all about words

He is, yeah. O is also a dude in a bar (specifically, The Smoldering Corpse) who immediately unloads on you about the game's philosophy.

It is possible he was referring to someone else, of course. It's not like that game is short on people in bars who want to talk to you about whether you really exist.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

You do get to wear Power Armor in that game though so its actually good. It's definitely the type of game where you'll wanna look up a guide on how to build your character and all that though.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Hrm. Never had the tiniest interest in Armored Warfare, but that sucks for Obsidian, as I imagine it was a large team and they'll probably have to do a big round of layoffs. :(

Actually the cynic in me instantly sprang to this theory:

1.) We know development on Pillars 2 started like a year ago.
2.) It seems to me the best time for a kickstarter would have been around when development started so all the extras could be properly scoped and added to the project.
3.) Obsidian higher ups have probably had some idea for a while that things were about to cut off on Armored Warfare.

Which makes me wonder if the original plan was to fund Pillars 2 entirely in-house without a kickstarter. Fergus Urquhart had originally talked about a fig/kickstarter launching this time last year (i.e. around the time Pillars 2 actually began development) but it never surfaced. So perhaps the Pillars 2 fig is more about saving as much of the Armored Warfare team as possible by getting funding to move them to doing extra stuff on Pillars 2, while they search for other funding/projects.

Gotta be a weird time to be at Obsidian. Their kickstarter is doing great, but AW is gone and they'll have to lay off dozens of people probably. :(

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

I seriously doubt the Berath's Blessing mechanic is going to rely on Steam achievements, if only because that wouldn't work at all with the GOG version. More likely, it'll be handled like the bonus perks in Alpha Protocol where the game internally keeps track of your exploits.

The only thing that really interests me about Berath's Blessing is being able to bring an item over from PoE1 to PoE2. I wouldn't even be using it for some pimped-out weapon or whatever, I just want a cool flavorful piece of equipment to represent my character's previous journey.

Okay, mainly I just want to import Viettro's Formal Footwear, because that item rocks. Free booze, fine conversation and mad dancing skills; what else do you even need?

Edit: Upon rereading the section on Berath's Blessing, it does look like it only applies to replays of PoE2, not save imports. gently caress. I just wanted to be D&D Cinderella, is that too much to ask?

That also means I did The Ultimate for no reason. Double gently caress. I guess I SHOULD feel proud, but in reality I just feel like I pulled out several of my teeth for funsies.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 13, 2017

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

2.) It seems to me the best time for a kickstarter would have been around when development started so all the extras could be properly scoped and added to the project.
I think this assumption is wrong. The work on the game so far has mostly been preproduction (e: this is my understanding, anyways, I could very well be wrong), when they develop prototypes and make sure their content creation pipelines are set up. Doing this gives them better information about how to scope many forms of extra content (eg Fulvano's Chain or additional companions). It wouldn't count for more fundamental features that would require rebuilding some things from the ground up, but nothing I've seen so far fits that bil.

I think this is a pretty good time to launch a crowdfunding campaign (right before really ramping up production), especially as they can show off more stuff to impress backers. If you look at the Pillars 1 pitch, there was some concept art but since the game didn't really exist in any form their argument was essentially banking on their reputation. It looks to me like Obsidian has done their homework and spent some time thinking about how to plan and run a campaign, which makes it a little less likely that they threw this together on short notice. (However, they might have seen the writing on the wall vis-a-vis AW some time ago, so that could be a factor.)

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 13, 2017

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I've never played Age of Decadance but I had an RPGCodex account a fuckin' decade ago, and even back then the place was filled with nazis and "ironic racism." I severely doubt it's ratio of non-nazis to nazis has gotten better since; most likely they just stopped bothering with the "ironic" part.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The move off of Armored Warfare was announced late last year, but the PR made it sound like more of a controlled demolition than the reddit dude. Supposedly it hasn't affected Obsidian very much financially.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

FreeKillB posted:

I think this assumption is wrong. The work on the game so far has mostly been preproduction, when they develop prototypes and make sure their content creation pipelines are set up. Doing this gives them better information about how to scope many forms of extra content (eg Fulvano's Chain or additional companions). It wouldn't count for more fundamental features that would require rebuilding some things from the ground up, but nothing I've seen so far fits that bil.

I think this is a pretty good time to launch a crowdfunding campaign (right before really ramping up production), especially as they can show off more stuff to impress backers. If you look at the Pillars 1 pitch, there was some concept art but since the game didn't really exist in any form their argument was essentially banking on their reputation. It looks to me like Obsidian has done their homework and spent some time thinking about how to plan and run a campaign, which makes it a little less likely that they threw this together on short notice. (However, they might have seen the writing on the wall vis-a-vis AW some time ago, so that could be a factor.)

My misunderstanding, then. I thought it had been in production since early/middle of last year.

EDIT: Running through the White March for the first time, really impressed by some of the detail like footprints in the snow and cold breath and stuff. Bodes well for PoE II.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 13, 2017

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Seriously, if White March is any indication of direction, PoE2 is going to be a pretty drat big step up.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FreeKillB posted:

I think this assumption is wrong. The work on the game so far has mostly been preproduction, when they develop prototypes and make sure their content creation pipelines are set up. Doing this gives them better information about how to scope many forms of extra content (eg Fulvano's Chain or additional companions). It wouldn't count for more fundamental features that would require rebuilding some things from the ground up, but nothing I've seen so far fits that bil.

Yeah, you could get away with concept art and a good rep in early kickstarter days but these days gameplay footage is pretty much required for a successful crowdfunding campaign. You need to show your work or people assume you've got nothing (and they're right).

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Rookersh posted:

The problem with AoD is the design of the core game should be good, it's just so awfully balanced.

Like hey, combat should be challenging unless you spec for combat right? I mean only a trained soldier should survive most encounters! And even then a trained soldier can't take on multiple enemies often! As a game idea this is sound.

But that's not the case. You can put every starting point into swords/combat skills, spend all your initial money on armor/weapons, and still get murdered by a bum with a bottle. Because the devs didn't balance out the various weapon skills very well, and swords just aren't very good. This stays the case until around midway through the game if you've been putting every single skill point into combat/swords.

Meanwhile you can put half as many points into axes and clear the entire game with a naked character that has zero points in any combat skills. Why? Who knows! The devs have come onto the forums and put out a bullshit talk about how it's realistic and axes are just a better real world weapon, so it's not changing.

And the entire game is busted like that. If you want to go diplomat, that's a fun path sure. But you might as well not even put a few points into swords/combat skills because you'll never be good enough to even hold your own in a 1v1 fight. You are forced to solve every puzzle with diplomacy, no matter how bad that leaves your character/the world. They could have easily developed it so with 5-10 points in something you couldn't take a trained soldier/group, but you could take a bum/random street toughs, but instead you need to fully focus combat skills to even think about handling any of the fights in the game, so you just.....don't fight. Which would be great if you could PS:T the game up and just never fight anybody, but to finish the main storyline you need to kill a number of real tough things that you can't unless you completely focused weapon skills ( or went axes, because once again ??? ).

And they don't include ways around this! They could have made paths specific to the diplomat where if you knew a fight was coming you could go to the guards/Legion/your allied faction and say "Hey, I'm not a capable fighter, but we are friends, care to send some guys to this major plot event." . But I never saw that in any of the times I played through the game. Basically the two times I went noncombat ( ie my diplomat noncombatent and my stealth/theft focused thief ) I couldn't beat the game because I lacked the combat skills required to finish it.

Worse is that most of the side skills just don't do anything. Many are only used in a single quest, or a few quests total. But without those skills at x level, you can't actually do those quests, and will either be turned away/killed for trying. So a vast majority of the game is attempting quests, figuring out what the skill checks are, writing them down, deciding which quests you want to do next time, then preparing your next character to have the skills needed to do x/y/z quests. You basically roguelike your way through the act of character creation until you come up with the character that can actually do the quests needed to finish the x questchain and do the skillchecks needed to pass it.

There is a perfect character that can do all the content in the game, if you go axes and exact numbers for each skill thing you can do all the content. But to know that you either need a guide, or need to play through each path writing down the checks as you see them, and gently caress that!

There are some really, really neat ideas in AoD. It's just so janky and poorly balanced it's hard to recommend it.

Very little of this seems to be true.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, you could get away with concept art and a good rep in early kickstarter days but these days gameplay footage is pretty much required for a successful crowdfunding campaign. You need to show your work or people assume you've got nothing (and they're right).

I do think it's hysterical that the big baddie giant statue we're chasing in Pillars 2 started as a bit of unplanned extra detail the artist threw into the Endless Paths kickstarter goal flavor art. :xd:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Captain Oblivious posted:

Already confirmed that that particular detail is being acknowledged.

~CONSEQUENCES~

Consequences: Your pet slot is locked down and you are followed by an annoying kid talking, running and soiling themselves constantly.
Also all NPC:s will comment on how taking your kid into a fight is irresponsible.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Fintilgin posted:

I do think it's hysterical that the big baddie giant statue we're chasing in Pillars 2 started as a bit of unplanned extra detail the artist threw into the Endless Paths kickstarter goal flavor art. :xd:

I think just about any artist out there will tell you that the best ideas frequently come about by complete accident.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Under the vegetable posted:

I haven't played enough to comment on the combat balance issues, but the complaint about having to build your character knowing IN ADVANCE what decisions you are and aren't going to make seems spot-on to me. For example, the first character I made was killed in I think the... third? conversation he had; a guy on the street asked him to buy something, and when I said yes it teleported me to a house where I was boxed in by two guys and murdered. The dialogue didn't hint in any way that something was up, or even that I'd be teleported somewhere else after saying yes, it was just "Hey I'm in a bad spot, can you help me out and buy something Y/N?" and selecting Y got me killed with no warning. So it isn't even a matter of avoiding combat options, you straight-up have to know in advance what dialogue options to pick in order to not die if your character isn't geared towards fighting. I understand that some people find that style of game fun but for me it just played like one of those bad CYOAs where decisions just arbitrarily kill you and the 'fun' is in finding the one path that doesn't lead to instadeath.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fintilgin posted:

The core concept for PoE 2 is inherently slapstick. Somewhere between Moby Dick and Little Wooden Boy and the Belly of Love .

Big Blue Dude stepped on your house and you're out for VENGEANCE

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

My misunderstanding, then. I thought it had been in production since early/middle of last year.

EDIT: Running through the White March for the first time, really impressed by some of the detail like footprints in the snow and cold breath and stuff. Bodes well for PoE II.

Reviewing things, I'm not sure where I got my impressions as to how long they have been in production, they're definitely in production now (according to the Fig site and according to rope kid), but I don't actually know how long that's been the case. There are a lot of articles in the gaming press using the phrasing 'Pillars 2 is in production' in May 2016, but if you look at the articles, there's little there except for a 'yes we're working on it' confirmation from Feargus, which means it's not really clear if they had moved to production at that point. I would be surprised if there hadn't been at least some preproduction time after finishing WM2 in Februrary 2016.

e:from way earlier in the thread

rope kid posted:

We're in production, but there are mechanical decisions that can be made in production without impacting content too much. The important part of pre-production is to address anything that influences how content is generated, because changing after that point means going back over old work.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 13, 2017

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Only just occurred to me, but was the inspiration for Waidwen's Legacy just not wanting to put children into the game? It's been going on 15 years in the first game, so anyone born with a soul would've grown up. Saves on graphics budget if you don't have to make smaller child-sized characters for the different races and avoids the problem Skyrim and Fallout had where children had to be invincible to avoid getting labeled a child-murder-simulator. Considering Deadfire didn't have such a plague, I guess there could actually be kids in it.

Only really just hit me how Children Of Men the whole idea is, you'd figure the entire Dyrewood would've been abandoned five years in under such circumstances (especially if neighbouring countries didn't have the same curse). How's anyone supposed to run a society, much less a superstitious medieval one, under that?

Dolash fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 13, 2017

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Dolash posted:

Only just occurred to me, but was the inspiration for Waidwen's Legacy just not wanting to put children into the game? It's been going on 15 years in the first game, so anyone born with a soul would've grown up. Saves on graphics budget if you don't have to make smaller child-sized characters for the different races and avoids the problem Skyrim and Fallout had where children had to be invincible to avoid getting labeled a child-murder-simulator. Considering Deadfire didn't have such a plague, I guess there could actually be kids in it.

Only really just hit me how Children Of Men the whole idea is, you'd figure the entire Dyrewood would've been abandoned five years in under such circumstances (especially if neighbouring countries didn't have the same curse). How's anyone supposed to run a society, much less a superstitious medieval one, under that?

I remember there being child characters running around Twin Elms, so I don't think that was the driving motivation.

Edit: And not every child is Hollowborn. You can buy that one kid in Defiance Bay a Red Rider BB gun March Steel dagger and he'll put his eye out cut his fingers off.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Feb 13, 2017

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Dolash posted:

Well in Children of Men it's been 18 years since the last child was born. In Pillars the curse only started a few years ago, right? Not sure on the exact timeline but I don't think it's been too too long since the war vs Eothas. So there'd still be plenty of places with healthy kids with souls running around. There'd be definite panic over it but I don't think it would be full fledged society falling apart panic for at least a little while yet.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

They moved around the timeline a lot between initial pitch and the final product but if the wiki's right it was 14 years between the first hollowborn and the start of the game. That's enough time for people to (1) lose all hope of it going away on its own and (2) a generational cycle to take place. Meaning that there are no hale and hearty youths to replace the middle aged peasantry in the heartland fields. The game starts at about the time when the apocalyptic ramifications of no more children start to become unavoidable to the common folk.

I think PoE kind of passed up a huge opportunity to explore the broader implications of the Hollowing's youth drain. We see towns slowly dying from lack of youth (Dyrford, mainly) and we get that the civil unrest in Defiance Bay is being caused by an influx of refugees, but it's strange that even though we can cognitively recognize that chain of cause and effect, the fact that people are flocking to the city to escape the constant reminders of how their way of life is dying is never really established with any force. Rather, the effect of the hollowborn on society is presented largely in personal terms, rather than social ones.

Animancy was the problem - the unrest in Defiance Bay being stoked around animancy by the Dozens / Thaos seemed to revolve more around the general ethical / blasphemous questions of the practice and not truly on the idea that animancy might have caused the hollowing. To wit, the folk are angry about the perversity of animancy, rather than birthing and siring soulless children. There are a few references thrown in but the hollowborn crisis ends up feeling diminished, especially when you end up in Twin Elms where it's not a problem.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 13, 2017

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Furism posted:

Honestly PotD Iron Man with a full party is not so bad and really keeps you on your toes, it's a pretty good feeling.

TCS is something else entirely and the way I do it is having a 1:1 parallel campaign except not Iron Man. I'm not very proud of this but it's just crazy to do it any other way.

I honestly don't feel like non-TCS Iron Man is a very interesting way to play the game. For me, at least, it just results in my playing the game as conservatively as possible. Chokepoint every fight. Use more spells. Rest more frequently. Do all the easy quests first until you start overleveling harder quests. Etc.

Ginette Reno posted:

Well in Children of Men it's been 18 years since the last child was born. In Pillars the curse only started a few years ago, right? Not sure on the exact timeline but I don't think it's been too too long since the war vs Eothas. So there'd still be plenty of places with healthy kids with souls running around. There'd be definite panic over it but I don't think it would be full fledged society falling apart panic for at least a little while yet.

No, it's been 15 years. The timeline has the Godhammer in 2808, the first Hollowborn showing up in 2809 and PoE starting in 2823.

That's well into "society collapsing and everybody abandoning the Dyrwood" territory. Failing that, the fallout from it should be visible everywhere. And yet, it's basically a background issue in PoE, which is part of why the story fell so flat for me. You can't sell me on the Legacy being this massive crisis facing the Dyrwood unless you actually show it to be a massive crisis.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Watcher drops down to level 1 on account of getting their soul nommed by Eothas.
What about any companions that happened to be off getting milk when the disaster happened?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Under the vegetable posted:

Posts here actually made me go and try the demo. It very much is, plus these design issues aside the the rest of the game didn't even seem that good so it's not even a a case of chewing through the annoyances to get the goods bits ala torment.

Very first quest as an assassin has me fight some dude who killed me every time, only way to get past I found was to to reroll with some persuasion. Second quest was to clear some mining outpost, and clicking through all the options, seems I once again lacked skills needed to pass this and combat against 4 dudes at that point is unwinnable.

The most fun thing about this game is reading the negative steam reviews, because in every one the devs will show up to tell the reviewer they were just playing wrong and to get good. :allears:

Hollowborn should have been around for about 10-ish years at least, going by wichts. Also I get the impression hollowborn births have been ramping up only gradually during that time.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

The Lone Badger posted:

The Watcher drops down to level 1 on account of getting their soul nommed by Eothas.
What about any companions that happened to be off getting milk when the disaster happened?

Josh's tumblr or twitter stated that they just don't address your companions being de-leveled, similarly to how they don't address why the companions are always at your level when you first find them.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Dolash posted:

Only just occurred to me, but was the inspiration for Waidwen's Legacy just not wanting to put children into the game?

A lot of fairly horrific poo poo happens to kids in the game, which is actually the main motivation I had for going through the plot. Like you tell me "If you don't follow this thread you'll eventually go insane!", and all I can think is "Bitch I am willingly climbing down the horrific murder dungeon I live on top of, by choice, for no other reason than curiosity. You think trying to ignore the voices in my head will drive me insane? Challenge accepted.". I'm pretty sure I can live weird enough to shame my past lives into staying in their corner, I don't need help with that one. Random people having babies without souls? I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. I mean I literally just mind-wipe my worst enemy in the game because sadism has a limit. He's gone, his next life gets it's own chance not to be an rear end in a top hat. No need to get into horrific soul torture. If I can eliminate the horrific existential threat that is people worrying about their kids not having souls, I'mma do that. Game would be about one million percent less horrific without kids in it.

e: Like seriously, that's like peak evil there. I'm almost impressed by the pointless cruelty of it.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Feb 13, 2017

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Dolash posted:

There are kids in the game. Several in White March, some in Defiance Bay iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Khizan posted:

No, it's been 15 years. The timeline has the Godhammer in 2808, the first Hollowborn showing up in 2809 and PoE starting in 2823.

That's well into "society collapsing and everybody abandoning the Dyrwood" territory. Failing that, the fallout from it should be visible everywhere. And yet, it's basically a background issue in PoE, which is part of why the story fell so flat for me. You can't sell me on the Legacy being this massive crisis facing the Dyrwood unless you actually show it to be a massive crisis.

The very first community you meet has a murder tree hung with the bodies of the dead, put there by a lord driven mad by his attempts to fix the plague by killing those he suspects are responsible for the hollowborn. The main goal of Act II is getting into a trial of animacers that centers around the question "are they to blame for the hollowborn?" I mean, I guess if you wander off into the White March and down to hunt the Master Below, it's not hard to forget all this stuff, but the societal effects felt pretty visible to me.

• Locked thread