Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

More than Words is a great song choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
That was really disappointing.

Huh apparently Max must have screwed up because they had Barry series finale available at 9pm.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 29, 2023

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

there's not enough time !!!

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Well, that was definitely a very conclusive finale, but I was hoping for a bit more emotional closure. Felt short and rushed, and didn’t hit the notes I was hoping for.

That said, the shootout at Nohobal was shocking and well done.

Some good moments in there still.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah apparently MAX released Barry at 9pm not 10:30 ET like it listed.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Yeah apparently MAX released Barry at 9pm not 10:30 ET like it listed.

poo poo i coulda watched this and been in bed already??? god dammit max

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
did a full gut laugh at the final text, the most cynical poo poo i've ever seen lmao

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
this leaves things open for a Raven spinoff!

vvvv we needed the time skip to have the Raven fully extend his wings

ymgve fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 29, 2023

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Well, that happened. not the worst finale, i guess.

Still think the time skip didn't add much of anything.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The first 25 minutes were A+, the last ten was just… it felt like they spent the time making the fake movie and then feeling like they had to get their moneys worth. It made perfect sense but it kinda put the brakes on super hard after killing Barry, and then didn’t really do anything interesting other than make a statement about the combination of lovely police work and how Hollywood twists the facts.

Lol that The Raven didn’t even get to be in the movie, and lol at the dude playing Hank.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Bummed about that being the ending I was really ready to like anything it threw

Felt like John should have at least said something at the end no matter what direction it went

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Also had to loving laugh that Gene was tricked into thinking Daniel Day Lewis was going to come out of retirement, but in the end it was some nobody playing him.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

nothing felt satisfying after the time skip and while some of the actual character endings felt like good conclusions, the way it got there was not satisfying at all

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
the time skip is necessary to hammer home barry getting everything he wants is absolutely miserable and very pointedly a bad thing, and secondly to show how much worse everyone gets when they refuse to change

you can maybe argue gene getting life in prison for a murder he didn't commit is undeserved, but seeing how quickly he flips his opinion on barry not being such a bad guy when he thinks A-listers are attached shows he was as big a POS as ever

also pretty funny that sally kind of ends up with the life she would've had anyway if she'd never met barry

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Really enjoyed the finale and also almost spit out my drink at "Oh wow."

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Ending was perfect.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I never thought I'd laugh out loud on seeing a smash cut to DIRECTED BY ___, but there you go.

So darkly funny knowing that that's where the Barry universe ends up.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
what was the "oh wow" line? I forgot

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

escape artist posted:

what was the "oh wow" line? I forgot

barrys last words

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Nvm, forgot spoilers

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Whole season was kinda meh to me imo, especially after the time jump.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Phoix posted:

Really enjoyed the finale and also almost spit out my drink at "Oh wow."

One of the funniest moments of the show easily.

Fuches diving to protect John loving teared me up.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
there's no way you could walk out of a shop with guns like that in CA

clearly there was another time jump

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

moist turtleneck posted:

Felt like John should have at least said something at the end no matter what direction it went

I thought his face said enough; I read it as him accepting the “official” version with relief and a bit of pride.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

General Dog posted:

I thought his face said enough; I read it as him accepting the “official” version with relief and a bit of pride.

Barry got redeemed, just like he wanted. And it's all thanks to Gene.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
(melodramatic screaming)

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

Whole season was kinda meh to me imo, especially after the time jump.

Same, though I’m not sure there’s any ending season that would satisfy me with this show

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Mehhhh. Extremely unsatisfying except for the showdown at Cousineau's (never going to learn how to spell it). The "who the gently caress are you?" and "Oh wow" and Barry's single-mindedness were great.

This could've been done without the time skip, just use Sally in place of the kid. Aside from a billboard gag and saying an actor was retired, no effort was made to show a near-future world.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Barry's identity as a hitman known? Moss's "revelation" was that Cousineau paid him to kill his daughter, not that he was framed as a murderer entirely, right?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I think the only law who knew him as a hitman were Janice, Loach and Albert, plus the guys from witness protection but only one of them is still and with no reason to disclose that.

E: Oh yeah, and Moss had the details from Lon.

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 29, 2023

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Thinking about it and Albert not showing up is really my only problem with the finale. From what little we saw of him it does seem like he should've had *some* kind of impact on the way the story went

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think it’s funny that the teenage version of Barry’s son was Jaden from IT who played Bill, but not Finn who played Richie lol

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Phoix posted:

Thinking about it and karate girl not showing up is really my only problem with the finale. From what little we saw of him it does seem like he should've had *some* kind of impact on the way the story went

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Not wrong

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Phoix posted:

Thinking about it and Albert not showing up is really my only problem with the finale. From what little we saw of him it does seem like he should've had *some* kind of impact on the way the story went

Yeah, especially considering his last words were that Barry needs to stop killing.
Not even a night passes before Barry's caught trying to kill Moss

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I’m going to need to sit on this finale for a while but while it had some incredible moments I find myself disappointed. It was overly…didactic? Hader has been very upfront about how frustrated he is at people treating Barry like a hero, but the ending here was like he decided his audience needed to be taught a lesson rather than something that followed from the world
and characters he made in a satisfying way.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Fuche’s storyline in the last season felt as hackneyed as the biopic so I guess it was ironic that he was completely omitted out of it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Underwhelmed by the ending but also sort of fitting because this show was nothing if not abrupt for its entire run. Sad we will not get the continuing adventures of North Hollywood Henry.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Well that hit all the right notes for me. That wordless moment between Barry and Fuches was the highlight. I think this will be a really good binge rewatch in a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

...Man, worst of all worlds kind of ending. Don't think it was badly written or anything, but really leaves a bad taste in the mouth knowing Barry gets remembered as a hero and Gene is spending his retirement in prison and is being blamed for his girlfriends death by the world.

Just kind of feels a bit too nihilistic for my tastes.