Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
TIL our planes weren't always using aluminum drop tanks, many were made out of paper and resin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-risk-of-nuclear-attack-rises/

"And the U.S. responded with more aggressive exercises of its own. One year after Crimea four B-52s flew up over the North Pole and North Sea on an exercise called polar growl the B-52s were unarmed but that little fin on the side of the fuselage identified them as capable of carrying nuclear weapons."

What makes a bomber nuclear capable? Is it just a PAL interface, and then the "fin" is an antenna for receiving EAMs or something? Or is it just treaty compliance to make it visible? The weapons guy next to the B1-B I talked to at the NY air show said the B-1A had a bunch of hard points for external stores, which I guess means ALCMs, but did that go away strictly because of START or something?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

poisonpill posted:

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the runway of Idaho. I watched Blue-screens glitter in the dark near the Seventh Refuel Waypoint. All those moments will be lost in time, like paint...in...rain. Time to die.

:perfect:

So much better than the image that spawned this too.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Effective-Disorder posted:

What makes a bomber nuclear capable? Is it just a PAL interface, and then the "fin" is an antenna for receiving EAMs or something? Or is it just treaty compliance to make it visible? The weapons guy next to the B1-B I talked to at the NY air show said the B-1A had a bunch of hard points for external stores, which I guess means ALCMs, but did that go away strictly because of START or something?

The "fin" makes them visibly distinguishable from non-nuclear capable B-52s for treaty compliance reasons. I don't think it has any functional purpose.

I would speculate that nuclear capability is mostly in PAL related avionics that lets them arm the weapons.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-risk-of-nuclear-attack-rises/

"And the U.S. responded with more aggressive exercises of its own. One year after Crimea four B-52s flew up over the North Pole and North Sea on an exercise called polar growl the B-52s were unarmed but that little fin on the side of the fuselage identified them as capable of carrying nuclear weapons."

The B-1B still has the attachment points for external stores. They would have been used had the B-1R variant gone forward.

And it's not just a PAL interface - there are declassified pictures of *a* B61 arming interface here: http://www.glennsmuseum.com/controller/controller.html

Also, in regards to the F135 engine, I guess we've solved the 'enough thrust in Christendom' problem, now it's just a matter of metallurgy and size.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 26, 2016

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The B-1B still has the attachment points for external stores. They would have been used had the B-1R variant gone forward.

And it's not just a PAL interface - there are declassified pictures of *a* B61 arming interface here: http://www.glennsmuseum.com/controller/controller.html

I guess I should have figured whatever weapons system would need some kind of placarded interface with switches and stuff. These days I'd figure it would involve more software than hardware, encryption or whatever, but the B-1 has more in common with the space shuttle than my phone, so no doubt there would be hard-wire interface stuff involved back in the days of Reagan. I keep forgetting that mil-rated hardware at least tends to look no less than 2 generations older than current tech, too; Never mind the fact that the 61 is basically a '61. Watched too many movies after Strangelove I guess.

As far as hard points, the wiring and structure ought to be there assuming they didn't care about weight? But, as for pylons, I only saw the one with a Sniper XR mounted on that particular aircraft I was looking at. Nomenclature error on my part, I guess. I'm just trying to picture a B-1 with a bunch of pylons and cruise missiles, if not AIM-120s. It looks kind of beautifully awkward and horrifying in my mind. Like, "let's go supersonic at tree-top level with all of this crap on our wings, plus 8 in at least one bay, and if we don't have a fuel tank in the forward bay we might squeeze a few more in there too".

I'm just finding it hard to understand how this airframe kept up with at least 3 different shifts in doctrinal thinking and is still flying today. The miracle of flight isn't the mechanics or physics, it's the people who decide to pay for it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Well, I'm willing to guess that's the arming interface for earlier variants of the B61. I'd very much doubt the same panel is in the F-15E, F-22, or the bajillion lines of code that need to be debugged before the F-35's cleared to carry and potentially deploy the B61-12.

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the cabling is the same even if it can be done on an MFD, though.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

White Phosphorus posted:

I found the randomest thing.

il76 tailgun strafing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPJpuMK3NKM

This is amazing.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://alert5.com/2016/09/26/initial-investigation-reveals-fire-in-f-35a-tailpipe-at-mountain-home-afb/

quote:

Sources told Aviation Week that a F-35A that caught fire at Mountain Home Air Force Base last week was most likely caused by strong tailwinds as the F135 engine was starting.

Excess fuel might have been left in the exhaust duct after an aborted start and it may have cause the fire after a restart.

Aviation Week also found out that the mishap aircraft is not affected by the recent cooling line problem.

Point #3 is a "duh" moment; the airplanes that had bits of coolant floating around where they shouldn't had been grounded (or were still on the assembly line) so obviously it wasn't one of them that caught fire.

I'm not sure I get point #1. The wind was stronger than the engine's exhaust? What?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Copied from the Philippines thread.

Duterte: I'm about 'to cross the Rubicon' with the United States

quote:

President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday hinted that he's about to go past a point of no return in terms of the Philippines' relationship with the United States, revealing that he had sought help from Russia about the matter.

"I'm about to cross the Rubicon between me and the United States. At least for the next six years. I would need your help," he said, referring to his meeting earlier this month with Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Mevdevev at the sidelines of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Summit.

The Philippines and the US are treaty allies, having signed a mutual defense treaty in 1951 and a visiting forces agreement in 1998. The US is also the Philippines' biggest foreign investor and the country's second biggest export market next to Japan.

But the relationship has been frayed under Duterte, who has bristled at criticism about the rising death toll of his administration's drug war from the US and other institutions such as the United Nations and the European Union. He has repeatedly expressed his desire to rid Mindanao of American troops supposedly to pursue peace talks, while declaring earlier this month that he wanted to stop joint patrols with the US in the South China Sea amid a maritime dispute with Beijing.

Duterte, meanwhile, has expressed openness to welcome more investments from China and Russia. He has also raised the possibility of buying arms from the two nations.

When asked to clarify his statement, Duterte noted that United States needed to get the Congress' approval before its President can declare war to help an ally.

"There is a RP-US Pact that was in the ‘50s. It says that an attack on the Philippines would be an attack of the United States," Duterte said.

"But in the United States Constitution, it says that before a President can declare war, with anybody in defense of an ally, he has to Congress for permission to go to war. That’s the problem. So if Congress will not give him that authority, what will happen to us?"

In the same press conference, Duterte said he didn't have any plans to junk alliances.

"I am not really going to break ties but we are opening alliances with China," he said.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Maybe we won't have to worry about the South China Sea after all.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah. Pull support, and we'll deal with whatever puppet China installs after they steamroll PHI. Duerte gotta go

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

B4Ctom1 posted:

TIL our planes weren't always using aluminum drop tanks, many were made out of paper and resin.

Aluminum was too valuable to use for drop tanks. The metal ones were steel.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Cat Mattress posted:

http://alert5.com/2016/09/26/initial-investigation-reveals-fire-in-f-35a-tailpipe-at-mountain-home-afb/

Point #3 is a "duh" moment; the airplanes that had bits of coolant floating around where they shouldn't had been grounded (or were still on the assembly line) so obviously it wasn't one of them that caught fire.

I'm not sure I get point #1. The wind was stronger than the engine's exhaust? What?

Wind was blowing directly up the tailpipe during engine start. Not a time when compromised airflow would be welcome.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

holocaust bloopers posted:

Wind was blowing directly up the tailpipe during engine start. Not a time when compromised airflow would be welcome.

Is this a known thing with modern engines? Should they have been aware of wind direction and strength when starting? Or is this new for this engine.

It sort of sounds like kind of thing that would be SOP if it were a known problem.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It's common knowledge not to crank engines with a direct and strong tailwind. In my experience, we've canted the jet away from having a direct tailwind prior to engine start. Some engines are probably more or less sensitive to others in this regard.

What the F-35 has as guidance, I don't know.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

What the F-35 has as guidance, I don't know.

gravity

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Antti posted:

The Lego Intrepid is on display at the actual Intrepid, I took a poorly lit photo of it a couple of weeks ago.

I have more photos but I haven't had time to sort through and upload them. It's a great museum if you're a thread regular, just make sure to get a ticket in advance to skip the queue if you want to turn up right when it opens.

Fun fact: the Intrepid is part of the ASTC Travel Passport Program and a membership of any of those museums allows you free admission to the others. The program excludes any museum within 90 miles of the museum you got membership for or your residence, but the Intrepid has a deal with the following museums to waive that:

Bruce Museum, Greenwich, CT
Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History, New Haven, CT
The Brooklyn Children's Museum, Brooklyn, NY
Long Island Science Center, Riverhead, NY
The New York Hall of Science, Queens, NY
The New York Transit Museum, Brooklyn Heights, NY
The Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia, PA

The Intrepid also has reciprocity agreements with the USS Midway and Battleship New Jersey, so membership with the Intrepid also gets you free admission to those ships.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

profit margin

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Phi230 posted:

IJA tanks being as they were, they didn't need 75mm. .30 cal was known to decrew IJA tanks. Pretty sure kinetic energy alone from a 75mm would gently caress up the average IJA tank.

The 1/2 dozen to 18 .50 cals on most US fighters/B-25 would make short work of pretty much any IJA tank they would encounter, especially from a strafing angle. Also looking at some of those "WWII in Colour" documentaries, I'm sure there is footage of Japanese transports and destroyer-transports blowing up from .50 cal igniting their cargo.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
From the Energy Generation Megathread:

waitwhatno posted:

Fun fact: During the cold war, west Berlin used to have the biggest lead-acid battery plant for energy storage in the world. It was something like 10k car batteries wired together ghetto style and designed to stabilize their tiny electric grid from communists electron agitators.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
So one thing thats been bugging me since last weeks Arms Control Wonk Podcast...

If submarine launched cruise missiles don't count as nuclear capable for treaty purposes how do all the non-proliferation people feel about platforms like the Virginia Block III and V upgrades, and the SSGNs? Thats a lot of stealthy sea launch cruise missile capability. The modularity of the Virginia Payload tube modifications of the GN Large Diameter Vertical Tube makes a quick refit for nuclear armament relatively painless from an engineering perspective. Its just a wiring harness swap to include PAL controls.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
It's pretty much all on the honor system.

Similarly it would be trivial to go back in to all those ICBMs and max out their MIRV capability but it's the kind of work that would take some time and effort and so the observers would probably notice.

"Trust but verify" is how it's done. And they do verify, lots of countries go and check that everyone else is doing what they said. Is it foolproof? Nope. Is it almost laughably easy to undo or get around a lot of the treaty stipulations? Yep.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Russian observers visit Hanford’s B reactor annually (that’s the second serious nuclear reactor ever built, 1944) to confirm it remains decommissioned.

That’s got to be a pretty laid‐back gig.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 26, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Platystemon posted:

That’s got to be a pretty laid‐back gig.

Nah, because they have to keep telling their friends back home that not only are Jordache jeans out of style now, but also that they're really hard to find.

"I keep telling you, Yuri...is about pre-torn now. Otherwise is still Levi's. I have coupon at Kohl's."

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Concordat posted:

Energy Generation Megathread

Link please.

e: VVV Much obliged.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 27, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PittTheElder posted:

Link please.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3505076

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010

As far as hard points, the wiring and structure ought to be there assuming they didn't care about weight? But, as for pylons, I only saw the one with a Sniper XR mounted on that particular aircraft I was looking at. Nomenclature error on my part, I guess. I'm just trying to picture a B-1 with a bunch of pylons and cruise missiles, if not AIM-120s. It looks kind of beautifully awkward and horrifying in my mind. Like, "let's go supersonic at tree-top level with all of this crap on our wings, plus 8 in at least one bay, and if we don't have a fuel tank in the forward bay we might squeeze a few more in there too".

PIctures of the B-1 with external hardpoints mounted are rare, but they do exist.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

wkarma posted:

PIctures of the B-1 with external hardpoints mounted are rare, but they do exist.

This is amazing.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

I'm fully torqued

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
B-1 Bone making anime missile swarms real again.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
insulting british people on my blog

e:

quote:

APC’s advance. All the commanders in “peace driving mode” with their heads above the edge of the hatches. The APC’s drive up in a column, stops 50 meters in front of [a defending tank]. Infantry dismounts. Pure madness!
this was a totally legit strat in Wargame:EE

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 27, 2016

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I swear there was some insane book with a B52 or 747 or something as a nutso AMRAAM carrier and I really just want that to be a reality

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

DeesGrandpa posted:

I swear there was some insane book with a B52 or 747 or something as a nutso AMRAAM carrier and I really just want that to be a reality

Dan Dale Brown's Flight of the Old Dog, with the B-52 Megafortress?

:lol: wrong book series

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The Wingman series had C-5s slinging massive amounts of Phoenix missiles in one of the books.

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010

I'm fully torqued

And what could have been with the B-1R:

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

wkarma posted:

And what could have been with the B-1R:

Someone at the DOD found one of my 6th grade doodles.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

DeesGrandpa posted:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

is that an actual airforce design

because a bomber that literally shits missiles is pretty close to peak cold war imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Agean90 posted:

is that an actual airforce design

because a bomber that literally shits missiles is pretty close to peak cold war imo

Boy have I got something to show you...