Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Paingod556 posted:

I'll say the one nice thing, they remembered how important heat was.

For the first three episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

PoptartsNinja posted:

Just wait until we get into Ciro's backstory, and THE CLANS.

SQWA--wait.

also I don't play MWO so maybe I'm missing the reference here, but "ETA on The Wizard?" as a repeated joke = :confused:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Chronojam posted:

Poptarts Ninja you've got quite the following, random pubbies in MWO have given you shout-outs when they find out they're playing with/against goons.

That just means that you have to murder them harder. Everyone should be too worried about getting blown the gently caress up when they run into WoL, not giving shout-outs to PTN.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Psion posted:

SQWA--wait.

also I don't play MWO so maybe I'm missing the reference here, but "ETA on The Wizard?" as a repeated joke = :confused:

In Mechwarrior Online, there is a hero Commando (basically, a unique `Mech) called Death's Knell. It's terrible.

The Wizard is a Death's Knell with four flamers (flamers in MWO do essentially nothing (except make it hard for the enemy to see)). So, it's the worst `Mech in the game run as a silly gimmick as a joke.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
After watching those two episodes it's not quite as bad a show as plenty of cartoons from that period. Torn shirts aside at least it didn't have Spiderman's perspective defying security guard and people who were bigger than cars. In any case it's pretty hilarious to see how little of that setting is being explained, and that they've fallen into the Star Wars mode of Red Lasers = Good Guys and Green Lasers = Bad Guys.

Trundel fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 8, 2013

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

yeah that's the other thing, ENHANCED VISION MODE does not seem conducive to using non-beam weapons. Also it's impossible to tell who the hell is who except for the lasers.

gonna hate it forever

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The Battletech cartoon was amazing and great, as PTN's clearly affectionate parody shows :colbert:. Adam Steiner remains my favorite Battletech character.

Or maybe it's all just fond childhood memories of watching the show and playing with the giant robot action-figures.

Still, the fact that they canonized Adam and the show's plot is just so very Battletech. Any other series wouldn't even bother thinking about trying to integrate wacky, made-for-kids spinoffs, but you can be a kid watching this cartoon then grow up and find a novel with a creepily-aged Adam Steiner on the cover directing people in a war where this time not everyone bails out safely.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Trundel posted:

In any case it's pretty hilarious to see how little of that setting is being explained, and that they've fallen into the Star Wars mode of Red Lasers = Good Guys and Green Lasers = Bad Guys.

I think it's more Red Lasers = Mediums, Green Lasers = Large Lasers. At least that's how they did it in MW4:M. As opposed to Star Wars where green is good, and the empire used them because they were originally the Republic who were good and... yeah. I'm probably looking too far into this.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Shoeless posted:

I think it's more Red Lasers = Mediums, Green Lasers = Large Lasers. At least that's how they did it in MW4:M. As opposed to Star Wars where green is good, and the empire used them because they were originally the Republic who were good and... yeah. I'm probably looking too far into this.

Also because unlike the blue ones, the green one can stand out against a daytime sky.

And they are totally Clantech / IS color-coded.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

I love how it's ONLY lasers. Not even PPC's get mixed into the show.

And you couldn't see any missiles or Autocannon rounds with the "Enhanced vision mode!"

I think the most hilarious bit though, is the sheer lack of damage going on. Lasers hit, make a small explosion (ok, whatever... it's like Power Rangers things explode if you so much as tap them) and then there's no damage (at least Power Rangers had their costumes slowly turning black)

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Star Wars laser color analogies would work better if Val Ryder's Centurion shot purple beams.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Dolash posted:

and find a novel with a creepily-aged Adam Steiner on the cover directing people in a war where this time not everyone bails out safely.

Hello, ladies of MY HOME PLANET!

but seriously this amazes me. This poo poo is a canon interpretation:

sarna.net posted:

Shortly after the Battle of [NOT NAMING THIS], the Tharkad Broadcast Company would released a semi-fictionalized holoseries based on Adam's exploits during the invasion, mixing in the battles on [SOME OTHER PLANET] into his initial raid and recapture of Somerset. (spoilers!) Intended as a morale boosting exercise, the poorly reviewed series would successfully help to instill national pride in the Lyran youth and sell trillions of S-Bills of merchandise in the process. [2] [3]

trillions of s-bills!

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 8, 2013

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Bah! Clan animated series have episodes twice as long, twice as well animated, and half the corny dialogue!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

bunnyofdoom posted:

Bah! Clan animated series have episodes twice as long, twice as well animated, and half the corny dialogue!

And finally the joke falls flat.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Just remember, you guys are looking at future Archon Adam Steiner. His inspiring tactics will lead the Commonwealth to a better place.

Octavion
Apr 5, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

In Mechwarrior Online, there is a hero Commando (basically, a unique `Mech) called Death's Knell. It's terrible.

The Wizard is a Death's Knell with four flamers (flamers in MWO do essentially nothing (except make it hard for the enemy to see)). So, it's the worst `Mech in the game run as a silly gimmick as a joke.

Poptarts, how dare you?! The Wizard is a terror on the battlefield and strikes fear into all who see it. Horrifying footage of The Wizard in action can be seen here: http://youtu.be/_JQ5KPS6zbo

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Shoeless posted:

You've got that wrong. MW4: Mercs made regular IS lasers red, Clan ER lasers green, and X-Pulse lasers blue. Mektek added Heavy Lasers in yellow-orange.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Taerkar posted:

And finally the joke falls flat.

Clan jokes get twice as many laughs and take twice as long to go stale while only irritating half as many people.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The BattleTech cartoon came out shortly after Mechwarrior 2, so the visual choice was simply to differentiate the Clans from the Inner Sphere.

They had to use lasers for the same reason GI Joe did (censorship) but there are some poorly-CGI'd missiles as well. Also, in several of Nicolai Malthus's non-CGI scenes you can see shells (colored green to match the lasers).

And there are PPCS! But they're basically indistinguishable from lasers (they're bigger :ssh: )

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 8, 2013

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Calax posted:

I love how it's ONLY lasers. Not even PPC's get mixed into the show.

And you couldn't see any missiles or Autocannon rounds with the "Enhanced vision mode!"

I think the most hilarious bit though, is the sheer lack of damage going on. Lasers hit, make a small explosion (ok, whatever... it's like Power Rangers things explode if you so much as tap them) and then there's no damage (at least Power Rangers had their costumes slowly turning black)
You get a bit of it later. Usually when there's a Mauler on screen.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Clan jokes get twice as many laughs and take twice as long to go stale while only irritating half as many people.
Successful CPR.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Dolash posted:

Adam Steiner remains my favorite Battletech character.

You are the Shadow Hawk of people.

KnoxZone posted:

Just remember, you guys are looking at future Archon Adam Steiner. His inspiring tactics will lead the Commonwealth to a better place.

Bankruptcy, losing half the Commonwealth, and humiliating defeat on our capital world.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Defiance Industries posted:

Bankruptcy, losing half the Commonwealth, and humiliating defeat on our capital world.

Indeed, his genius remains unappreciated in his time; but as the icefields of Tharkad burned around him you know he was inventing new sayings about cross-training and ammunition.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

PoptartsNinja posted:

Indeed, his genius remains unappreciated in his time; but as the icefields of Tharkad burned around him you know he was inventing new sayings about cross-training and ammunition.

If nothing else, it takes a special genius to burn an ice field.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Well, that's actually his granddaughter, into whom he imbued his wisdom from her very earliest years. His big triumphs were giving up a bunch of poo poo to the Republic and dismantling chunks of the LCAF because there's no way the Clans want to fight.

e: he also had sex with a talking horse.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.
Yet he probably still did a better job of "running a successor state" than any of the Steiner-Davions. Not that that's a particularly high bar to top.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I could sperg out about how Victor Steiner-Davion never got any real character growth moments that would've made him into something more than a smug manchild; but the entire argument is summarized as:

Victor's one character-defining moment would have been his best friend Kai Allard-Liao's suiciding into a Clan star to save his life. Except Kai didn't die and in fact came out smelling of roses with several new BFFs among Clan Jade Falcon's Elementals, so Victor learned early that any mistakes he made won't matter because he is absolutely invincible.

So, basically, what I'm saying is: Everything is Kai Allard-Liao's fault.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

AJ_Impy posted:

If nothing else, it takes a special genius to burn an ice field.

I see Adam must have been a consultant on the GI Joe movie, where they sink an iceberg.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Vlad Antlerkov posted:

Yet he probably still did a better job of "running a successor state" than any of the Steiner-Davions. Not that that's a particularly high bar to top.

Peter probably would have done really well if he got more than like one month to do anything. Peter's also the only Steiner-Davion who seems to realize what a goddamn dumpster fire his family is.

e: I was going to repost my lengthy defense of Peter S-D, also known as "Archon Peter: Hard as gently caress" but it's been lost to the void. Basically the dude pulls a Legate Damar (to put it Cardiassianly) and finds smart people to listen to rather than replacing living legends with his college bros.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 9, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Ha, I'd forgotten that was a zombie!

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

PoptartsNinja posted:

So, basically, what I'm saying is: Everything is Kai Allard-Liao's fault.

This is an important life lesson to realize about Battletech I feel. But don't tell Kai that, his shame would be immense as he destroyed dozens of enemy assault mechs effortlessly.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Breakout: Tactical Update 16

Combat Phase
H1 Rifleman IIC
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at S14 JagerMech (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 4): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at S14 JagerMech (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 4): rolled 4, hit Center Torso (0/21 structure remains)! `Mech destroyed!
- Fires ER Small Laser at S14 JagerMech (3 base + 4 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement = 10): rolled 8, miss!
- Gains 33 heat, sinks 42!

H2 Cougar D
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at G10 Shadow Hawk (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser + 1 smoke + 1 heat = 10): rolled 11, hit Right Torso (9/19 armor remains)!
- Gains 20 heat, sinks 25!

X1 Banshee IIC
- Fires ER PPC at S16 JagerMech (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): rolled 6, hit Left Torso (0/13 armor, 13/15 structure remains)! Crit!
- Fires ER Small Laser at S16 JagerMech (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Gains 17 heat, sinks 22!

H3 Wolf Spider A
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 38!

X2 Exterminator
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at G3 Phoenix Hawk (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser - 2 blindside = 4): rolled 2, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at G3 Phoenix Hawk (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser - 2 blindside = 4): rolled 4, hit Left Torso (1/18 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at G3 Phoenix Hawk (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser - 2 blindside = 4): rolled 7, hit Head (2/9 armor remains)! pilot hit!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at G3 Phoenix Hawk (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser - 2 blindside = 4): rolled 6, hit Head (0/9 armor, 0/3 structure remains)! `Mech destroyed!
- Gains 22 heat, sinks 26!

X3 Archer
- Fires Medium Laser at G8 Grasshopper (1 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 7, miss!
- Gains 5 heat, sinks 15!

X7 Vindicator
- Fires LRM-5 at G11 Shadow Hawk (1 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement + 2 minimum range - 1 iLK = 7): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at G2 Phoenix Hawk (1 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 8, hit Center Torso (14/23 armor remains)!
- Gains 16 heat, sinks 24!

X9 Cyclops IIC
- Fires Ultra AC/20 (ultra) at F12 Grasshopper (1 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 5): rolled 11, 2 shells hit Left Torso (0/15 structure remains (damage transfers to Center Torso (0/30 armor, 7/22 structure remains (Crit!))), Center Torso (0/22 structure remains)! `Mech destroyed!
- Gains 12 heat, sinks 30!

X11 Merlin
- Fires PPC at G10 Shadow Hawk (0 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 7): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at G10 Shadow Hawk (0 base + 4 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at G10 Shadow Hawk (0 base + 4 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 10, hit Left Arm (6/14 armor remains)!
- Fires LRM-5 at G10 Shadow Hawk (0 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement - 1 iLK = 4): rolled 12, 4 missiles hit Center Torso (19/23 armor remains)!
- Gains 24 heat, sinks 27!

H6 Gargoyle Tjris
- No Line of Sight to target!
- Gains 5 heat, sinks 42!

F11 Grasshopper
- Fires PPC at X7 Vindicator (2 base + 4 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 12): rolled 5, miss!

F12 Grasshopper
- Fires PPC at X9 Cyclops IIC (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement + 3 minimum range = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at X9 Cyclops IIC (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at X9 Cyclops IIC (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 7, hit Center Torso (24/34 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Laser at X9 Cyclops IIC (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 8, hit Center Torso (19/34 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Laser at X9 Cyclops IIC (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 7, hit Left Torso (15/30 armor remains)! TAC!
- Fires Medium Laser at X9 Cyclops IIC (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 6, hit Left Torso (10/30 armor remains)!

S14 JagerMech
- Torso twists to threaten hex 2410!
- Fires HVAC/10(guided) at X1 Banshee IIC (2 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement = 4): rolled 10, hit Left Arm (13/23 armor remains)!
- Fires SRM-2 at X1 Banshee IIC (2 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement = 4): rolled 8, 1 missile hit Left Torso (13/30 armor remains)!
- Fires SRM-2 at X1 Banshee IIC (2 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement = 4): rolled 9, 2 missiles hit Center Torso (17/47 armor remains), Right Arm (4/31 armor remains)!

S16 JagerMech
- Fires HVAC/10(guided) at H1 Rifleman IIC (2 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement = 4): rolled 4, hit Right Arm (0/10 structure remains)! Limb blown off!
- Fires HVAC/10(guided) at H1 Rifleman IIC (2 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement = 4): rolled 8, hit Right Leg (7/30 armor remains)!
- Fires SRM-2 at H1 Rifleman IIC (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement = 6): rolled 10, 1 missile hit Right Torso (18/20 armor remains)!
- Fires SRM-2 at H1 Rifleman IIC (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement = 6): rolled 6, 1 missile hit Right Leg (5/30 armor remains)!

G1 Phoenix Hawk
- Fires Large Laser at X7 Vindicator (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 8): rolled 7, miss!

G3 Phoenix Hawk
- Torso twists to threaten hex 1820!
- Fires Large Laser at X11 Merlin (2 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 8, miss!

G5 Grasshopper
- Torso twists to threaten hex 0820!
- Fires Large Laser at H3 Wolf Spider (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 smoke woods = 6): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at H3 Wolf Spider (2 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 smoke = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at H3 Wolf Spider (2 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 smoke = 8): rolled 4, miss!

G8 Grasshopper
- Fires Large Laser at X7 Vindicator (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 8): rolled 11, hit Right Arm (0/7 structure remains)! Limb blown off!
- - Damage transfers to Right Torso (9/16 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Laser at X7 Vindicator (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 8): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at X7 Vindicator (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at X7 Vindicator (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 8): rolled 10, hit Center Torso (13/18 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Laser at X7 Vindicator (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 8): rolled 8, hit Left Arm (9/14 armor remains)! TAC!

G9 Shadow Hawk
- Torso twists to threaten hex 0819!
- Fires HVAC-10 (Guided) at X11 Merlin (2 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires LRM-5 at X11 Merlin (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 7): rolled 11, 5 missiles hit Left Arm (11/16 armor remains)!

G10 Shadow Hawk
- Fires HVAC-10 (Guided) at X11 Merlin (2 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires LRM-5 at X11 Merlin (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 7): rolled 5, miss!

G11 Shadow Hawk
- Torso twists to threaten hex 1318!
- Fires HVAC-10 (Acid) at H3 Wolf Spider (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 smoke = 6): rolled 8, hit Left Leg (1/16 armor remains)!

S1 Mackie
- Fires Heavy PPC at H1 Rifleman IIC (2 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 Heavy PPC = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires HVAC/10 (Guided) at H1 Rifleman IIC (2 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 6, miss!

S2 Battlemaster
- Fires Heavy PPC at H1 Rifleman IIC (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 Heavy PPC = 7): rolled 9, hit Rear Right Torso (0/10 armor, 10/15 structure remains)! Crit!

S3 Awesome
- Fires PPC at H1 Rifleman IIC (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement = 6): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires PPC at H1 Rifleman IIC (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement = 6): rolled 8, hit Right Torso (0/15 structure remains)! Torso destroyed!
- Fires PPC at H1 Rifleman IIC (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement = 6): rolled 6, hit Left Arm (10/20 armor remains)!

S4 Sunfire
- Fires Heavy PPC at H1 Rifleman IIC (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 Heavy PPC = 7): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Heavy PPC at H1 Rifleman IIC (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 Heavy PPC = 7): rolled 7, hit Left Arm (0/20 armor, 5/10 structure remains)! Crit!

End Phase:
S16 JagerMech
- Critical chance in Left Torso! No critical hit sustained!

H1 Rifleman IIC
- Critical Chance in Left Arm! No critical hit sustained!

X7 Vindicator
- Through-Armor Critical Chance in Left Arm! No critical hit sustained!

X9 Cyclops IIC
- Through-Armor Critical Chance in Left Torso! No critical hit sustained!

An enemy Phoenix Hawk stumbled and fell to the ferrocrete tarmac, its head a smoking ruin. Steve spared the enemy no pity, it was the best end any warrior could hope for: swift, and at the enemy’s throat. If he felt anything at all it was a pang of envy, for deep down he knew today wouldn’t be his day. There was still a battle to be won, after all; and if there was one thing a second-line Mechwarrior knew it was that the objective came before honor.

Always.

His long hair hung limp and moist down the back of his neck as his Exterminator vented excess heat. The waves of heat and cold often came as a shock to Clan pilots used to OmniMechs, who’s superior systems kept the cockpit a comfortable temperature. The technicians spared little effort on second line machines, unless one had parts compatible with a front-line Omni—or was itself a totem, like the hated Ghost Bears’ bizarre Kodiak. In times past, Steve had been forced to fend for himself as often as not; and he appreciated the loving attention the Death Commandos’ technicians paid to his machine.

To the Clans it was expendable. To the Death Commandos, it was priceless. And so too, he started to suspect, were the captured Clan pilots. Even the insufferable Piet. He smirked, and quietly imagined the look on her face when he told her they’d never let her get herself killed.

Mission Objectives:
Secure the Dropships (incomplete)
Hold off the 1st Kestrel Grenadiers (incomplete)

Optional
Defeat the 1st Kestrel Grenadiers’ 2nd Battalion (28/40)
Death Commandos: Defeat more Kestrel Grenadiers than the Hell’s Horses (14)
Hell’s Horses: Defeat more Kestrel Grenadiers than the Death Commandos (14)

Key:
H1 Rifleman IIC, H2 Cougar D, X1 Banshee IIC
H3 Wolf Spider A, H4 Mad Dog Prime
X2 Exterminator IIC, X3 Archer
X7 Vindicator, X8 Mongoose, X9 Cyclops IIC
X11 Merlin, X12 Atlas, H6 Gargoyle Tjris

Enemy Movement Mods:
S1 Mackie +0
S2 Battlemaster +0
S3 Awesome +0
S4 Sunfire +0
S16 JagerMech +1
F11 Grasshopper +2 Jumped
G1 Phoenix Hawk +3 Jumped
G5 Grasshopper +2 Jumped
G8 Grasshopper +2 Jumped
G9 Shadow Hawk +2 Jumped
G10 Shadow Hawk +2 Jumped
G11 Shadow Hawk +2 Jumped

Player `Mech Status

Enemy `Mech Status

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 9, 2013

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ha, I'd forgotten that was a zombie!

Short of legging it or blowing the CT out, the Archer is almost invincible. Poorly armed and combat inconsequential, but hard to kill.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I wasn't referring to the Archer, the Archer didn't give an entire lance shots at its back armor last turn.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
One more shot to the left arm and that Rifleman IIC is just a small laser.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Steve is awesome. "It sucks that we'll be considered invaluable, but man it'll piss Piet off something fierce and that warms my heart." Priceless.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Couple minor copy errors:

quote:

X7 Vindicator
- Fires LRM-5 at G11 Shadow Hawk (1 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement + 2 minimum range - 1 iLK = 7): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at G2 Phoenix Hawk (1 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 8, hit Center Torso (/ armor remains)!

and the flavor text from last time is up there in addition to the current fluff.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Isn't that the same fluff text as last update?

And remember, a single small laser is invaluable if you have a guy in an aerospace fighter sighting for you.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Looks like you left the last update's fluff in there, Poptarts.
E: Jesus, really? Beaten hard.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Preechr posted:

Looks like you left the last update's fluff in there, Poptarts.
E: Jesus, really? Beaten hard.

This ain't the bush leagues, man. You're posting to a thread with 2.3 million views run by a mad man who draws ASCII art on old robot cartoons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

TildeATH posted:

Isn't that the same fluff text as last update?

And remember, a single small laser is invaluable if you have a guy in an aerospace fighter sighting for you.

That was a Small Pulse Laser! :pseudo:

• Locked thread