Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Powershift posted:

The problem is that old people, you know, the people who buy new cars, still equate chrome with class.

Boomers get a lot of poo poo for the damage they've done to younger generations and the enviroment and the economy, but really, they're all terrible and the sooner they're off the planet the better.

Not even class, they just like shiny things. See also, the hordes of morons who pay good money to stick shiny plastic bits all over their cars

Same reason they graft random grilles onto cars when they bring them to the us. RIP, OG Taurus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Not even class, they just like shiny things. See also, the hordes of morons who pay good money to stick shiny plastic bits all over their cars

Revel in the majesty.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Mental Hospitality posted:

Revel in the majesty.

Thats awesome. It's like someone went and bought all the chrome stick on doo dads from Walmart AND Autozone and just went to town.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The Fusion grill owns gently caress da haters

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Revel in the majesty.

Lincoln Navigator: Texas Cartel Hitman Edition

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Honda's golden age of design (cars and motorcycles alike) was like 1985-1993

there's not a single vehicle of theirs from that era that I wouldn't want to own

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

^^ The 84 Civic hatchback deserves a mention, it looks super cool in a weird way and weighs as much as a housecat. Super fun cars.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I remember driving 1989-1991 4cyl Honda Accords (MT) when they were brand new and they kicked major rear end compared to many other cars at that time. Obviously things like BMW E30 drove great, handled better than anything else and were quick, but much 2x more expensive ($15k vs $30k).

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Subtle chrome > matte black everything. Really depends on the car, the colours and the lines of the bodywork in my opinion.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
My father had a 1987 Accord Si back in the 90s and it was an amazing car for the time - 160ps, great gearbox, good packaging and decent styling. I'd easily have taken it over any four cylinder BMW of the time.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wamsutta posted:

That was just the 4G TL.

And I think they made like 10 of them.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Revel in the majesty.

Im trying to find pictures but there's an older guy in my neighbourhood that has a Cayenne Turbo S and he has glued all sorts of figurines and trinkets to it. You'll see him coming out of Walmart or a corner store with a bag of shiny things and he pulls out a tube of crazy glue and just starts sticking stuff all over it.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I learned to drive stick on my old man's 92' Civic. Loved that car.

It was only last year I told him about the time I drove it home with the handbrake on the whole way :v:

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Wistful of Dollars posted:

It was only last year I told him about the time I drove it home with the handbrake on the whole way :v:

I spent half an hour trying to get out of a tight spot after a Chicago blizzard. Tried getting out, no traction, shoveled some snow, still no traction, cleared more snow, etc etc. After clearing the area of every last snowflake, I realized the parking brake was still engaged. It was around 0 degrees.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.autoblog.com/2017/04/06/2018-chevy-tahoe-rally-sport-truck-package/

quote:

Now we highlight the 5.3-liter V8 as the "standard" engine because it's no longer the only engine available. On the Tahoe RST, you can now get the 6.2-liter V8 found in the Silverado. It makes 420 horsepower and 460 lb-ft of torque, and Chevrolet says it will get the Tahoe RST to 60 mph in 5.7 seconds. It will also have a towing capacity of 8,400 pounds. The Brembo brakes and Borla exhaust are available for this configuration, too, and the exhaust adds 10 horsepower at the wheels.

Picking the big V8 also brings a version of the 10L80 10-speed automatic found in the Camaro ZL1 and Ford F-150 Raptor. It has taller gear ratios with more space between speeds, different shift tuning, and a new bell housing. If that wasn't enough, the 6.2-liter also brings aboard GM's magnetorheological suspension.

Tahoe now optionally gets the 6.2L V8 from the pickups and the Denali/Escalade. 420HP/460TQ, 0-60 in 5.7s, along with upgraded brakes and exhaust and the 10 speed from the Raptor/Camaro

Put the 650HP supercharged V8 in it GM

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Jesus, a Tahoe with the 6.2, 10 speed and magnetic shocks...

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Q_res posted:

Where are you seeing a V6? I'm looking but so far I've not seen anything but the 2.0 Turbo mentioned. Would be cool to confirm a 6 pot.

Website Slip-up Reveals 2018 Buick Regal’s V6-powered GS Model

Heh, Buick removed it from the site. Oops.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Sagebrush posted:

Honda's golden age of design (cars and motorcycles alike) was like 1985-1993

there's not a single vehicle of theirs from that era that I wouldn't want to own

Just so you are aware Japanese Classics has one of these for sale right now

https://www.japaneseclassics.com/vehicle/1990-cbr250rr-lightly-modifed/

Is 7k too much? :iiam:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Dislike button posted:

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/04/06/2018-chevy-tahoe-rally-sport-truck-package/

Tahoe now optionally gets the 6.2L V8 from the pickups and the Denali/Escalade. 420HP/460TQ, 0-60 in 5.7s, along with upgraded brakes and exhaust and the 10 speed from the Raptor/Camaro

Put the 650HP supercharged V8 in it GM

That's really gonna move a car seat and some groceries!

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I hope the 4 way blinkers are super cool for when they're waiting in school loading zones for Aydehn.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

BloodBag posted:

I hope the 4 way blinkers are super cool for when they're waiting in school loading zones for Aydehn.

Stop triggering me

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

I hope they sell a gazillion of them, so I can get a lightly used drivetrain pull out of a crashed one for $500 in 5 years.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

:goonsay:

Truly one of the dumbest and most tiresome AI takes is complaining people aren't using their vehicles the "right" way

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh cool I was waiting for the LT1-truck edition.
Higher torque sounds fuuuun.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dislike button posted:

Truly one of the dumbest and most tiresome AI takes is complaining people aren't using their vehicles the "right" way

Seriously, and doubly so because:

Raluek posted:

I hope they sell a gazillion of them, so I can get a lightly used drivetrain pull out of a crashed one for $500 in 5 years.

It could eventually get to the point where swapping a L92 / LS3 / L99 in place of my LS1, with the associated reprogramming, would be nearly as cheap as just building the LS1 to the same power levels. :getin:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Seriously, and doubly so because:

It could eventually get to the point where swapping a L92 / LS3 / L99 in place of my LS1, with the associated reprogramming, would be nearly as cheap as just building the LS1 to the same power levels. :getin:

They already are pretty close. I've heard tell of ~$2500 low mile L92 pulls, and they will do 500 wheel with heads cam and a tune.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
When you can't see poo poo around you because everyone is driving an SUV or pickup that they use for a car seat and groceries then I think it's okay to complain. I guess the health of our planet too

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Pontius Pilate posted:

When you can't see poo poo around you because everyone is driving an SUV or pickup that they use for a car seat and groceries then I think it's okay to complain. I guess the health of our planet too

Tell us about your prius.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Dislike button posted:

Not the right or wrong way, but because they almost universally think they are safer.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Raluek posted:

Every time some idiot rolls one and kills themselves, a small vehicle gets it LS6 powered wings :angel:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Dislike button posted:

I like the one where someone tells someone else that they are using their complaints and mockery wrong.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Not the right or wrong way, but because they almost universally think they are safer.

I mean, mass-wise they are definitely safer right? Crash test rating scores are based on cars in the same class, are they not? With a Suburban vs. a Fiesta I would think the Suburban would win every time, rollover risk being the only exception.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Michael Scott posted:

I mean, mass-wise they are definitely safer right? Crash test rating scores are based on cars in the same class, are they not? With a Suburban vs. a Fiesta I would think the Suburban would win every time, rollover risk being the only exception.

The problem with that thinking is that the vast majority of accidents are single vehicle accidents hitting a stationary object. In those cases, you want as little mass possible since it's less energy to disperse.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It's also really easy to roll a Suburban even if you hit it with a Fiesta, depending on the angle and other circumstances. There are really just to many factors in any given accident.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

bull3964 posted:

The problem with that thinking is that the vast majority of accidents are single vehicle accidents hitting a stationary object. In those cases, you want as little mass possible since it's less energy to disperse.

No kidding, I didn't realize that the vast majority of accidents were SVAs. Interesting.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Michael Scott posted:

No kidding, I didn't realize that the vast majority of accidents were SVAs. Interesting.

Yeah I would have never guessed that but I suppose my only accident was an SVA. And it was because I took a turn too fast--no ice or rain or anything--and because I was 16. I hope AI can sympathize with that.

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 8, 2017

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
On the other hand:

Here are all the gory details: https://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/general-statistics/fatalityfacts/passenger-vehicles

So... yeah.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, but that doesn't tell the whole story.

quote:

Twenty-six percent of passenger vehicle occupants killed in 2015 were younger than 25.

Demographics of drivers matter when it comes to crashes and it's a pretty compelling trend that more expensive or family friendly vehicles also trend downward while the cheapest cars are higher. That chart isn't normalized to any other data.

Actually, the most interesting thing about the graph is how extraordinary safe all the vehicles are.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
All I know is the adage about not picking fights with any vehicle with more lugnuts than you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, but that doesn't tell the whole story.

Demographics of drivers matter when it comes to crashes and it's a pretty compelling trend that more expensive or family friendly vehicles also trend downward while the cheapest cars are higher. That chart isn't normalized to any other data.

Actually, the most interesting thing about the graph is how extraordinary safe all the vehicles are.

Well, no, but large cars aren't cheap young driver fodder and they still rank much higher than all SUVs.