Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Andorra posted:

If our current president or preceding one wore an octopus suit and got buff and sword fought people, that might actually get me to vote for them
don't forget that his twin katanas were named Democrat and Republican

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

don't forget that his twin katanas were named Democrat and Republican

i forgot about this little tidbit lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

VitalSigns posted:

If I posted on here that sprinkling lead shavings on my corn flakes every morning gave me long shiny gorgeous hair and cured my IBS, I'd be banned by the mods because telling people to harm themselves is dangerous and someone could get hurt if they're stupid enough to follow my advice. It's the bare minimum a responsible community will do to protect its members.

it's good that you brought up this particular scenario because if you reflect upon the repeated attempts by people who frequent SAD to get the CSPAM COVID thread removed or otherwise functionally taken down because they think the people there are spreading unhealthy advice and are harming their own mental health, then it cuts right to the right of the problem with trying to wield censorship for the "public good"

to the credit of the moderators, such calls have been rejected every time (so far), but that obviously is not what happened outside of SomethingAwful

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/07/06/biden-syria-rhetoric-deeds-assad/

Lmfao Brandon is still on the anti assad train.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Zuckerberg really named his Twitter killer after the most realistic nuclear war movie? Really?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's good that you brought up this particular scenario because if you reflect upon the repeated attempts by people who frequent SAD to get the CSPAM COVID thread removed or otherwise functionally taken down because they think the people there are spreading unhealthy advice and are harming their own mental health, then it cuts right to the right of the problem with trying to wield censorship for the "public good"

to the credit of the moderators, such calls have been rejected every time (so far), but that obviously is not what happened outside of SomethingAwful

lol i've seen people in there talking about getting the shingles vaccine "just in case" like it's nbd

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol i've seen people in there talking about getting the shingles vaccine "just in case" like it's nbd

should get the rabies vax just in case, never know when a bat or racoon might flit in

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

is shingrix much worse than Moderna juice in terms of side effects?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my family was too poor to afford the chickenpox vaccine, so when I was the first child in the family to contract it, my mom had all of us siblings go through it together, because she understood that contracting it later would be a much worse and dangerous experience

so given that link between that and shingles... that might not be a bad precaution in my specific case

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think those calls were rejected because it wasn't really unhealthy advice, not because of a commitment to hosting bad medical advice on SA no matter how harmful.

I think if the thread were convincing people to eat horse paste and not vaccinate their kids it would get shut down or at least I hope it would

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

VitalSigns posted:

I think those calls were rejected because it wasn't really unhealthy advice, not because of a commitment to hosting bad medical advice on SA no matter how harmful.

but again, how does that compare to what has happened outside of SA? telling everyone to go back to school, hell, to go back to hospitals, with no COVID mitigations is precisely "unhealthy advice", but the powers-that-be that are encouraging such behaviors are also the ones with their fingers on the censorship trigger, were you to attempt to argue with them

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

praying to assad for his curse

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

this is the easiest one of these yet

Assad would win by default

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

gradenko_2000 posted:

my family was too poor to afford the chickenpox vaccine, so when I was the first child in the family to contract it, my mom had all of us siblings go through it together, because she understood that contracting it later would be a much worse and dangerous experience

so given that link between that and shingles... that might not be a bad precaution in my specific case

fyi there's a p good reason doctors don't tend to give it to people under 50: you can only get it once and its effectiveness drops over time

see when most people develop shingles is as your aging immune system eventually craps out enough for the shingles to come back and start loving you up, so the idea is that you really want the shot to be there if/when you need it

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

fyi there's a p good reason doctors don't tend to give it to people under 50: you can only get it once and its effectiveness drops over time

see when most people develop shingles is as your aging immune system eventually craps out enough for the shingles to come back and start loving you up, so the idea is that you really want the shot to be there if/when you need it

lol yeah sure I'll save my potions for the final level where it's doubtful I'll even make it through lv50.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

my bony fealty posted:

Zuckerberg really named his Twitter killer after the most realistic nuclear war movie? Really?

the day after was far more realistic. Society would not collapse into pre-agrarian warbands

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Asproigerosis posted:

the day after was far more realistic. Society would not collapse into pre-agrarian warbands

not with that attitude

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

gradenko_2000 posted:

but again, how does that compare to what has happened outside of SA? telling everyone to go back to school, hell, to go back to hospitals, with no COVID mitigations is precisely "unhealthy advice", but the powers-that-be that are encouraging such behaviors are also the ones with their fingers on the censorship trigger, were you to attempt to argue with them

the randy rainbow/cuomo saga was just one of your fever dreams. never happened.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i support our noble government in suppressing harmful medical misinformation such as how masks work against airborne contagions, a category that covid-19 definitely doesn't fall into. wash your hands!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Welp, there goes 2024.

I remember looking up what he said about assad in 2020 & he done hosed up & said "saddam must go" by mistake & then won the election.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

is shingrix much worse than Moderna juice in terms of side effects?

my fellow olds have taken it & said the second round is worse than the first but I've just had the first so far & it was nbd, but then I never react to vaccines beyond having a sore arm.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

Welp, there goes 2024.

I remember looking up what he said about assad in 2020 & he done hosed up & said "saddam must go" by mistake & then won the election.

lmao

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Hey, Gradenko, I have a question.

I know someone who got covid p. bad in 2021 while he was back home in the phillipines. He was hospitalized & credited the docs giving him ivermectin with saving his life.

Is that a standard covid treatment there, do you know?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I didn't imagine it. eta: but it was 2016, not 2020.

https://www.telesurenglish.net/news/Biden-on-Syria-Wants-to-Get-Saddam-OutWait-No-Assad-Out-20160622-0002.html

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Willa Rogers posted:

Hey, Gradenko, I have a question.

I know someone who got covid p. bad in 2021 while he was back home in the phillipines. He was hospitalized & credited the docs giving him ivermectin with saving his life.

Is that a standard covid treatment there, do you know?

highly possible he has no idea what the gently caress they gave him and he's just making that up since patients never understand anything about their treatment. This is a red flag for this person being a dipshit antivaxxer if they are spinning this tale.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Asproigerosis posted:

highly possible he has no idea what the gently caress they gave him and he's just making that up since patients never understand anything about their treatment. This is a red flag for this person being a dipshit antivaxxer if they are spinning this tale.

He's a medical worker. And not an anti-vaxxer.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Willa Rogers posted:

my fellow olds have taken it & said the second round is worse than the first but I've just had the first so far & it was nbd, but then I never react to vaccines beyond having a sore arm.

my sawbones told me I don't need the shingles vaccine when I turn 50 because I already had an outbreak in my late 20s and have antibodies :smug:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Love the assumption of chud-think about a medical worker in a country in which u.s. drugs were unavailable, though.

Great example of cartoon-brain among americans so thx for that.

He was trying to get back to the u.s. in order to get the vaccine when he got covid.

But I'll bet you pictured a sex tourist escaping u.s. pandemic rules or something, huh, Asproigerosis?

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Asproigerosis posted:

it was set in northern england. it was extremely realistic

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Willa Rogers posted:

Love the assumption of chud-think about a medical worker in a country in which u.s. drugs were unavailable, though.

He was trying to get back to the u.s. in order to get the vaccine when he got covid.

But I'll bet you pictured a sex tourist escaping u.s. pandemic rules or something, huh, Asproigerosis?

No there are plenty of moron medical workers that are all in on antivax. Anyone that thinks ivermectin does anything for covid is extremely questionable.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

Asproigerosis works at a hospital as an MRI tech and knows plenty of anti-vaxx coworkers, OP.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Asproigerosis posted:

It was set in the UK though, not a society

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

I think it's just because it's scientific fact ivermectin doesn't do anything about COVID. It's parasite poison, not anti-viral.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I'll take any drug you'll give me.

Come on.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

I think it's just because it's scientific fact ivermectin doesn't do anything about COVID. It's parasite poison, not anti-viral.

that's why I was asking gradenko which drugs were used in the phillipines in 2021 to treat covid.

it struck me as bizarre when the guy told me but he swore he got it infused in the hospital there.

eta: I can find out the island/locale if that helps.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

He's a medical worker. And not an anti-vaxxer.

Non-doctor medical workers are frequently even worse than lay-people when it comes to medical topics. My dad was an X-ray tech and knew a lot of nurses and what have you, and he/they said and believed insanely stupid stuff constantly.

I think it's because they're essentially exposed to all this stuff without actually having an education in it, so they come up with all sorts of wacky ideas. They'll see the same dumb poo poo on Facebook as everyone else their age, but because they're "healthcare professionals" they have a ton of unwarranted confidence in their own opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

spacetoaster posted:

I'll take any drug you'll give me.

Come on.