Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Boscrossos posted:

I always saw that as armor splintering off and the shrapnel hurting the others. Could be wrong, though.
Then why doesn't it hurt everyone in the surrounding area, as opposed to just the Dredge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Actually, if you splinter a dredge beside an ally, that ally will grunt and perform the "hit" animation, even if they don't lose any armor. So it's definitely affecting them, they're just able to shrug it off better. I would guess it's probably more something based on the armor that the dredge use, since it's brittle enough to shatter off if you hit it hard enough, it probably is also more susceptible to being hit by itself? Or something like that?

Either way, the item quality I was referring to is one that is super rare, but loving incredible. Some items allow you to passively heal armor. There's a few that will grant you armor regeneration on rest, but one or two will just straight-up give you a point or two of armor back every time it's your turn. Once, I had one of those drop during the first War Battle, a level 5 item with +2 armor per turn... right as Gunnulf hit level 5. :getin:

Holy poo poo, Gunnulf was the loving man that game. He would just wade in, gently caress everything up, then take a breather to regain will and armor, before killing everything all over again.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Chewbot posted:

Technically, according to the legends, just as varl were made by a god by combining man and yox, the dredge were formed by merging man with stone. Whether that means they're partially made of rock or they just have an affinity to earth and a talent for using it (like the norse dwarves) is up to you (and maybe future clarification in the sequels).

One theory I've seen that is definitely wrong is that they're robots or clockwork golems. They're definitely organic.

So they are golems, but ones infused with life rather than being mechanical constructs?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I think that's an oversimplification. The Gods created the dredge the same way they created Men and created the Varl. So by your logic, men and Varl are just Meat golems infused with life.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm just confused about calling them organic. Usually you use that to refer to an object made up of cells, but in this case the Dredge are made of stone. I don't know what he means by that, other than to say they are living stones, or golems.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

I'm just confused about calling them organic. Usually you use that to refer to an object made up of cells, but in this case the Dredge are made of stone. I don't know what he means by that, other than to say they are living stones, or golems.

You're overanalyzing it. They are made of flesh, and their flesh is made of stone. No need to go into the biological nitty-gritty for this faux-norse saga.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

ViggyNash posted:

Think of it like this: Organic life here on earth is almost completely carbon-based. Silica makes up a large portion of rocks, and silicon is chemically very similar to carbon. So if carbon-based animals can grow fingernails, exoskeletons, chitin, etc. it's not too big a leap to imagine a silicon-based lifeform that is able to grow a rocky exterior. Or might even have cell walls made up of rocks, similar to some plants, bacteria, and fungi. Heck, Diatoms already have silica-based Cell Walls, maybe the Banner Saga gods used those as the basis to evolve the dredge from?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Captain Bravo has said everything that can be said on the organic-ness or lackthereof of the Dredge without getting into spoilers.

I'll say this: Think about other key differences there might be between a living creature that just happens to be comprised to some degree of stone, and magically animated rock that is still ultimately rock.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I'm just thinking of Discworld Trolls now. Would that be close enough?

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Inspired by this thread, I bought the Banner Saga a couples of days ago. Holy poo poo we are in for a ride. Cannot wait to learn about all the stuff I missed in my playthrough, not to mention discussing some of the stuff that happens.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Let's do this.

You send a small group of shieldbangers to get their attention. They do. Half a day later, many dredge are giving chase up the hill in their plodding sort of way. You get ready to lay waste.

We outnumber the enemy! Leave none alive!

Gunnulf is still recovering from his last battle, so let's let Bersi show us what he can do.

Well, this looks more straightforward than the last one!

The enemy numbers two Scourges and four Grunts. I'm bringing everyone together closer to the concentration of Grunts so that I can beat them into shape while the Scourges slowly lurch into position, with Bersi on the outside.

Mogr starts the battle off with Bring the Pain, hopefully allowing him to wear down a bunch of Armor on counterattacks. THe first enemy to move is a Scourge, who lumbers forwards without doing much.

In doing so, he comes into range of Hakon's mighty axe, a fact that I'm taking a moderate risk in exploiting! That's six damage to one of the two strongest enemies, plus one damage to the two next to it. This puts Hakon in a dangerous position, but leaves the enemy force down eight Strength.

Hakon eats a one-strength counter in response, but I'm more worried about the second Scourge.

Bersi follows, but isn't able to reach anything.

And another! Not even bothering with Armor, they're going all out with Willpower to chip him down as fast as they can.

In a way, though, this move is a big win for me - in standing there, the Grunt is blocking the stronger Scourge from reaching Hakon.

It cost Yrsa 2 will to get into position for this, but it's absolutely worth it. Let's go into some details.

Slag & Burn spawns two coals in its target area, but there are rules to the placement. It will never place coals on an occupied tile, even if the unit occupying it was killed by the flames. From there, it always places one in the center if possible, and the rest is random.

The Grunt moving next was at the center of the blast - note also here that the middle tile is hit by an Armor attack, doing Armor damage equal to Yrsa's (admittedly low) Break. Not only does this do six strength damage overall, but there are only two open tiles for coal placement, meaning that if the Grunt wants to move at all, it's guaranteed to have to walk over them.

That's a total of 1 Armor and 3 Strength damage to the Grunt, leaving it too weak to pierce Hakon's armor.

Ludin uses Impale, not for the bleed effect but for the forced movement. A Scourge lurches impotently around the back of the enemy line.

Because Ludin pushed the first Grunt back, Eirik is able to slip forwards thanks to his passive and carve a chunk out of the second Grunt.

There are two enemies left with double-digit Strength: The Grunt north of Hakon (10) and the Scourge in the back (14).

Mogr is a bit cramped for space, between Bersu and Eirik and Ludin, so all he can do is push this already-weakened Grunt down even further, to 1 Strength. Varl can be a bit hard to work with due to their size.

This was a good move by the enemy. Not only is it next to impossible for me to reach that Scourge before it finishes summoning, but now the uninjured Scourge has access to Hakon. I'm expecting to have to deal with a fifth Grunt soon.

Hakon burns through all of his remaining Willpower to bring the last uninjured Grunt on the battlefield down a notch.

He's doing a fantastic job of tanking for the team here. You'd think they'd start going after his Armor soon.

In a calculated risk, Bersi takes an early kill!

I'm not too worried about the turn differential - the enemy is getting reinforcements soon, and the important thing here is that Yrsa goes before the Scourge, which will still happen.

With this, not only can I do some damage to the biggest threat on the field, but the coals are forced to spawn in a way that he has to walk over them no matter who he wants to attack.

It's something of a suicide attack - I'm not sure offhand whether or not walking over the same coal for 2 tiles due to its size will do 1 or 2 damage to the Scourge, and if it's 1, it can kill Yrsa in one hit. Yrsa isn't really hampered much by injuries, so I'm willing to risk it.

The result is something of a mixed bag - it only did 1 damage, but the Scourge also didn't use any Willpower on its attack, so Yrsa survives at 1 Strength.

Unable to get any useful hits in elsewhere, Ludin sticks the Scourge for some Armor damage.

Eirik's Armor, meanwhile, is getting pretty low - down to six. A healthy enemy could do some real harm.

On the other hand, huge brawls like this are where Eirik's passive ability shines. He's able to slip through Hakon's spaces and circumvent the entire flow of the battlefield to cripple the second Scourge. There are now no enemies on the field with more than 7 Strength.

Until now, that is. The summoning finishes, and we get a healthy Grunt in swinging distance of Eirik. Bad luck.

I think I'm going to start taking kills.

Eirik's in bad shape, with 6 Armor and 4 Strength. Fortunately, that Grunt is the only thing that can still do him meaningful amounts of damage, and I intend to fix that soon.

Hakon takes a point from the Horn to finish off a Scourge before it can attack. As a bonus, the heavy impact knocks the new Grunt down a point of Strength.

3 Strength left. It's gonna be down to a damage race for whether or not I can get Eirik out of this one intact.

And here's where the Warhawk shines! Late in the battle, and nobody's been paying Bersi any attention.

Sharing Hakon and Gunnulf's passive, each of these hits does 1 splash damage to the other. One Grunt dies, the other is left at 2 Strength.

2 Strength left.

Why does Yrsa even have an Attack command? I've got a fever and the only cure is Slag & Burn.

1 Strength left.

The nice thing about starting the kill spiral is that I can use the horn to keep pouring Willpower into people, letting Ludin move one extra tile and do 2 extra damage.

A bad deflect roll takes Eirik down. I lost the damage race!

Bersi is basically untouchable now that he's survived unharmed this far into the fight.

Another kill for Hakon, another enemy sauntering up to poke Bersi.

Then, Bersi finishes off both remaining dredge with a single swing!

You take a moment to survey the battlefield. The enemy is being pushed back all the way down the line.

You know what? I'm feeling lucky.

Oh god, wave 2 brought a Stoneguard with them. This may have been a mistake.

Messed up the screenshot timing a bit here, but that's another Slag & Burn on the Stoneguard! It's critical that we use some attacks that can hit Strength without worrying about Armor.

The enemy reinforcements total one Stoneguard and three Grunts. Bersi takes his first real damage of the battle.

Following up on that Slag is Impale! The Stoneguard is down to a much more manageable 8 Strength.

An enemy Grunt wastes a turn moving closer. One of the nice things about the second wave is that the enemies often spawn far away giving you time to regroup.

Mogr weakens a Grunt, an enemy Grunt wastes a turn moving closer.

Hakon weakens a Grunt. My goal here is to make the Stoneguard choose between attacking the sturdy Hakon or moving (and taking Impale damage from walking) to target the more vulnerable Ludin.

The end result is something I hadn't considered - he walks a full three spaces to take out Yrsa, dropping to 3 Strength in the process.

It sucks taking two casualties, but I was fully prepared for this to happen to her on this map. Sorry, Yrsa!

There's no enemies in range who are strong enough to pierce my Armor, so I can take my time for now. The Grunt counters with a 1-point Strength attack.

Poke, and the distant northern Grunt wastes another turn. If I don't kill anything between now and Ludin's turn, i can make it waste a third.

So, this becomes a rapid-fire slugfest for a while. Mogr hits a Grunt for 4 damage, a Grunt hits Ludin for 1 damage, Hakon hits the Grunt for 3 damage, the Stoneguard hits Hakon for 2 Armor damage.

The next few turns are boring, is what I'm getting at.

Until this happens. This is the worst possible turn of events right now, and something I really should have tried to prevent.

Ludin's escape route is blocked off. He can't get far enough to avoid taking a hit from the fresh Grunt to the north. I could rush him with an Impale to mitigate the damage, but I'd need to use Willpower for the skill and Willpower for the move, and I only have one star left in the Horn.

But wait! Unless I'm mistaken, a glitch can still save Ludin!

Check it - when Yrsa uses Slag & Burn, the coals last from her turn until the beginning of her next turn. Yrsa was taken out, so she never got a next turn, meaning the coals are permanent!

By luring the Grunt through them, I mitigate enough damage to leave Ludin at 2 Strength. Now, just like Yrsa and Eirik's fates, I have to leave his to deflect odds and enemy AI quirks, but he has a chance.

I've almost got this drat thing weakened enough that I can hurt it again!

The dice favor me!

Now every enemy is too weak to pierce our Armor, so I'm gonna skip ahead a bit.

Ludin gets a kill off of a lucky Deflect pierce, but rolls poorly himself, dropping to one Strength.

Mogr finally kills the drat Stoneguard.

Ludin goes down on the very last enemy turn.

Hakon scores the last kill.

+21 Renown

No treasure. Next time: The second half of a very bloody war.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Expect a bonus update this weekend.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Oh boy, do you have enough people left to make it through the second round?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Man, what a slaughterfest. Do you think it's possible to win that battle with no casualties?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

paradoxGentleman posted:

Man, what a slaughterfest. Do you think it's possible to win that battle with no casualties?

The war engagements are randomly-generated, but I totally think I could have won it without casualties if I was a bit more careful and lucky. A couple characters fell to hits that they could have deflected, and I got bad luck with where that Scourge spawned his summoned Grunt (in swinging distance of Eirik and acting before I could do anything about it). Between that and a few bad moves (Mogr ended up pretty poorly-positioned for a lot of the fight and wasn't able to do much), and maybe declining the second wave, I probably could've scraped through without any casualties.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Yeah losing Eirik was something that definitely could have been avoided here. He is neither strong nor tough, so it's important to keep him out of harm's way unless he is insulated from reprisal. His active could have also saved Ludin from running out of willpower and dying from lack of resources at the end. The tradeoff would've been more heat on the varl, though, which might have costed Hakon an injury. Bersi and Mogr could have gutted the damage that flew around, though, so probably could've pulled it out. That second wave was not as bad as I'd feared it would be. Only one stoneguard isn't that big of a deal, the issue is when the drat game decides to toss two Scourges at you, because why not.

Ysra was probably going to go down with how aggressively she was being used, but it's Ysra. She'll be healthy again in a day, and even if she isn't why the hell do you care, she's just going to be slagging everything. The coals remaining is not a bug by the skill description, though - it says they remain until her next turn. If she never gets one, welp, them's the breaks, kid, we told you what was up. There are a ton of skills that function like this, including one that, hilariously, involves someone setting bombs that never go off.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Basically, this LP should be enjoyed in the same way as Game Center CX: When there is a mistake to be made, I will unwittingly but cheerfully dive headfirst into it for your entertainment.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Chief Professor.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Just caught this LP today. I first heard of this game back when it was multiplayer only with no story. The plot and setting are interesting and the combat seems pretty great, I'll probably pick it up sometime during the summer.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

It's this LPs fault that I've bought and been playing this game. So I'm blaming you Professor for all the jobs I never got done tonight. Still this is a fun little game even If I do keep getting far too many of my guys killed due to being reckless.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Before hurling ourselves into the second half of this battle, let's take a breather.

This is bad. Unless I get lucky and a day passes before the next half of the battle, I'm going to be going into this one with several injured units.

On the other hand, we got a shitload of Renown, so let's spend some of it to prepare for the impending bloodshed.

Mogr promotes, earning a point of Exertion and a point of Strength to complement his Armor.

Yrsa promotes, sinking two points into Break, making Slag & Burn even more deadly.

Bersi promotes, reaching my usual 2 Exertion/Break.

Ludin promotes for a point of Break and a point of Armor.

As team leader, Hakon gets the honor of promoting to rank 3, sinking two full points into Strength. He's become a true monster, with the highest Strength of anyone on my force backed by a still-solid 11 Armor.

For reaching Rank 3, Sundering Impact improves. At Rank 1, the skill does a Strength attack at +1 Strength and Armor damage, with no chance to deflect, and Heavy Impact does 1 Armor damage in addition to the usual 1 point of Strength damage to adjacent targets. At Rank 2, the initial hit is the same, but adjacent targets take 1 Armor damage and 2 Strength damage.

I think we'll be able to manage this even with injured troops. Back to the road!

Crossing my fingers here...

This is exactly the sort of lucky break I could use right now!

You tell him to report to Mogr. "I don't sit in the back lines. Make a mistake and you'll get your head caved in. Nobody'll lose sleep over it." He nods and goes to speak with Mogr.

And a day passes before we reach the village! That should mitigate some of our injuries - we might even be able to field a full decent team here.

You send your shieldbangers forward to get their attention. Before long the dredge have gathered, ready for a fight.

If I hadn't gotten Griss, or if it was still day 17, I might have formed formations, but now I'm feeling cocky again.

I only have to deploy one injured hero, and Eirik's special means he can stay useful while avoiding the front lines. If I was playing on Hard, things would be getting ugly about now. To war!

Good lord.

On the left, two Scourges and a Grunt. On the right, one Stoneguard and one Grunt. This battlefield gives us next to no room to adjust our starting positions.

Well, let's go, I guess.

After peering at the turn order for a while, I decide to go with an immediate charge to the west. It's going to cost us a lot of Willpower, but our army is in good morale and we have Eirik, so we can afford that right now.

The Stoneguard goes first, lumbering towards my army. We outnumber the enemy 6 to 5, so he'll get to go again before Mogr's next turn.

Hakon's 16 Strength have made him a serious monster - I didn't burn ANY will on that hit. He can almost break through a Stoneguard's defense without damaging its armor at all.

The northern Scourge advances, but doesn't reach anyone.

Gunnulf has recovered, but I'm actually finding Bersi to be more my style. On the other hand, Bersi is attached to Ludin, while Gunnulf works for me, so I know which one I'll trust to stick with me to the end.

The Scourge falls back to take a shot at summoning. Hakon will act before he finishes, so I'll have to make that decision.

Goal number one is to get everyone on the west front weak enough to not be a real threat to my army.

I could have still hit both of them while placing the coals on the right, but I figured that the most likely person to suffer from that would be Griss, not any of them.

I may have reconsidered that if I had checked movement ranges before attacking, though. Yrsa is suddenly in danger, which changes a lot of things.

Griss is built like Iver, which makes me very happy. He should work well with Ludin (who is unfortunately absent), due to the Impale/Battering Ram combo.

For now, his job is to keep Yrsa from being in danger.

The second Grunt moves our way, but he's so distant that he might as well not exist right now.

Eirik can't reach anything, but he's injured anyway, so his job in this fight will be pouring more resources into stronger warriors.

The Stoneguard has closed the line, a bit faster than I was hoping for! Fortunately, he chose the worst possible action: Using Kindle on a Shieldbanger with an enemy at his back. Because Griss has no room to fall back, he doesn't move, only taking 1 Armor damage and hitting the Stoneguard back for another 1 Armor damage.

Revitalized by Eirik's rally, Mogr knocks a big chunk of Strength off of the stronger Stoneguard, dropping it to 7.

7 Strength is something of a magic number right now - Yrsa is my most vulnerable character with 6 Armor, so once I drop someone to 7 Strength, it's impossible for them to do more than 1 Strength damage to anyone without tapping into Willpower.

Offensive options denied, the Scourge falls back (taking 2 damage from coals) and starts summoning.

You know, I've been playing these battles very conservatively, but basically every time I've let a Scourge finish summoning, it's ruined my day. Let's rush this fight.

I can tell things are going my way when Yrsa is deflecting attacks.

The shfiting turn order means that the Stoneguard is going to act before Griss, so Yrsa needs protection. I'd kill the Grunt, but that would push the Stoneguard to before Yrsa as well, which I very much don't want.

As it turns out, I needn't have worried - the second Grunt advanced far enough to deny the Stoneguard its movement. I had the two Grunts confused on the turn order; Bersi's turn would've been better spent killing the other Scourge before it summoned.

Yrsa drops another S&B, neutering the threat from both enemies on the eastern front. Thanks to her promotion, that does 3 Armor damage to the Stoneguard, and thank to Splinter, it does another 1 Armor damage to the Grunt.

Instead, Griss pushes the Stoneguard down to below the Magic Number. 6 is slightly better than 7, even, because it means that not only can it not break 1 damage, but it's running Deflect chances on every Strength attack.

As Griss puts a dent in the Stoneguard, the new Grunt spawns... on the southeast edge of the battlefield! Nice and far away, right where I like it. A good turn of events, for once.

Eirik falls back from it, granting 2 Willpower to Griss with Rally. The newcomer advances, but accomplishes nothing.

I'm just gonna keep up the pace with murder. These guys don't stand a chance.

A Grunt works on beating Griss down, but he's a Shieldbanger, so that's going to take a while. This doesn't change our Magic Number.

With a little help from the Horn, Hakon is able to reach and kill the new Grunt in a single attack.

The other Grunt pokes at Griss, losing a point of Strength to coals in the process.

Bersi kills a Grunt, but I missed the screenshot for it.

Griss is finally into the danger zone - his Armor's down to four.

A quick Slag means that even with four Armor, neither of them can meaningfully hurt Griss.

So naturally, he's reduced to two!

Pillage on.

And that's zero! Maybe you should have gone for some Strength damage, bro.

And Bersi scores the last kill.

You take a moment to survey the battlefield. The enemy is being pushed back all the way down the line.

Zero casualties! We haven't even taken any substantial Strength damage!

Let's go for broke.

You attack any dredge still brave enough to face you!

The reinforcements are one Stoneguard and one Scourge. My plan: Blitz down the Scourge, then use Pillage to gang up on the Stoneguard.

Eirik stays where he is, pumping more Willpower into Hakon. The Stoneguard and Mogr both advance, neither of them reaching the front lines.

The gameplan changes when I realize that that's no Scourge - it's a Dredge Warrior. Its abilities are the same as a Scourge, but it has 12 Armor and 18 Strength. I'm going to need to be VERY careful with my approach, especially with how many turns it's getting.

The Stoneguard at least takes a point of Coals damage on his approach. This is good - I'm facing two very dangerous foes.

So, time to start wearing them down!

This is fantastic - there's exactly one tile here from which I can Slag the Warrior without bringing Yrsa into his attack range. The coal placement also does a good job of protecting Hakon.

I think I have to accept that Griss is going down here. I'm the one who challenged them to a harder fight, so I don't mind taking a casualty.

So instead, Griss will do what Armor damage he can before he goes down.

Ow. Even though the coals, ow.

New plan: We kill the Stoneguard as fast as we can.

Eirik makes his first attack of the battle!

Down goes Griss. He did well.

Someone is going down on the Warrior's next turn, too. The only question is whether it's Yrsa or Bersi.

Mogr gets the kill on the Stoneguard. One more attack from him, then the Pillage begins!

Yup, it's Bersi.

Hakon unfortunately had to walk through a tile of Coals to get here.

Even if he does get another turn at this point, he's weak enough that I'm not going to lose another hero.

And he doesn't!

+15 Renown

Total losses for the two-part war: 14 varl, 5 humans. We killed nearly a thousand Dredge, and didn't lose so much as twenty warriors.

We're a badass army.

The wounded are gathered, and you head towards what is left of the village ahead.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Ahaha, I knew the second the reinforcements popped in with 2 dudes that this was gonna be trouble. Getting an elite slag giant at this point in the game sucks a fatty, and you quite arguably got the worst elite you could have. Nicely handled, though.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
I talked a bit about random elements before, but I didn't talk about the biggest points of RNG cruelty in the game: The locations, types, and formations of new Dredge units.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

ProfessorProf posted:

Total losses for the two-part war: 14 varl, 5 humans. We killed nearly a thousand Dredge, and didn't lose so much as twenty warriors.

We're a badass army.

I mean, sure, you're a war-band of Varl several hundred strong with Viking auxiliaries, but this is making the Dredge seem like not much of a threat against organized warfare.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Teledahn posted:

I mean, sure, you're a war-band of Varl several hundred strong with Viking auxiliaries, but this is making the Dredge seem like not much of a threat against organized warfare.

Well, there are a few options. Either there are Dredge armies that aren't 99% scrub Dredge not terribly stronger than a regular human or the groups we're seeing constitute really small Dredge armies and their actual forces come in such hideous numbers that it ceases to matter that Varl can in principle totally chump them. Or there's always the option that the real threat is that there are hundreds of small rear end in a top hat groups of these guys roaming around that are in principle easily defeated by a real army but it doesn't really help because while that real army is doing so the other groups are all ruining the rest of the countryside and leaving things in a situation where the army is going to starve.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 24, 2014

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Feinne posted:

Well, there are a few options. Either there are Dredge armies that aren't 99% scrub Dredge not terribly stronger than a regular human or the groups we're seeing constitute really small Dredge armies and their actual forces come in such hideous numbers that it ceases to matter that Varl can in principle totally chump them. Or there's always the option that the real threat is that there are hundreds of small rear end in a top hat groups of these guys roaming around that are in principle easily defeated by a real army but it doesn't really help because while that real army is doing so the other groups are all ruining the rest of the countryside and leaving things in a situation where the army is going to starve.

I assumed that we are not killing every single dredge we face; like in historical battles, we're killing a fraction and causing the rest to rout.

Tetrakarn
Nov 1, 2011

Smiling Knight posted:

I assumed that we are not killing every single dredge we face; like in historical battles, we're killing a fraction and causing the rest to rout.

It's basically this. If you look at the screenshots when he finishes off an initial group of dredge, they flee afterwards and we're given the option to let them or try to cut down as many as possible.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Not to mention the fact that we are pretty drat badass right now. Look at the updates from the human force, and see how many Varl and Warriors they have. Then imagine them facing one of these groups. Varl are incredibly tough, but they're not invincible, and we're lucky in that we have a pretty gigantic force of varl. If this same Dredge army had hit Rook's hometown, there wouldn't be a chapter 2.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I have this feeling the game is just setting you up for serious outnumbering later.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The numbers are just an expression of how hard the RNG is gonna be on you when you decide to fight, and how. If you fight conservatively when you outnumber the enemy you can end up fighting only like 3 Grunts or something.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Fighting conservatively is usually a bad idea, though, because it means less renown! It's another design decision that makes sense at first but has a bit of a troubling snowball effect down the line - if you've been doing well, then you'll have the renown and fighters to keep doing well, but if you've been doing badly, then you're going to do worse and worse.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

After that crushing victory, I don't mind parting with a few men.

You gather a handful of warriors to send back with the frightened villagers. With the path already cleared behind you, they shouldn't find too much trouble along the way, but you'll miss their strength in battle.

-15 Varl

This is where I draw the line, though.

"Not from what I've seen," he says, but taps the toe of his boot on the ground and returns to the caravan.

Another tiny village! Let's take a breather.

I wouldn't mind a couple days without combat. That last wave of enemies did a real number on Bersi and Griss.

I promote Mogr, for a simple advance of one point each in Strength and Armor. Bring the Pain promotes - at Rank 2, the initial hit does +1 Armor damage, and makes Return the Favor hit for 3 Armor damage on each counterattack.

You know, with the rate he burns through Willpower, and with my over two months of supplies in stock, I think I'm actually going to buy this for Hakon. That'll bring him up to a total of 7 starting will, or up to 9 with ideal morale.

And so we hit the road once more!

Day 19 sees us in good spirits, but we are not alone on the road.

Was. Vognir didn't make it.
You're serious? It's getting grim out here, but... didn't expect that.
You're flying the Schlid banner. What's happening? Isn't Ulfar in charge there?

We've seen nothing happening in Schlid, yet.
What do you mean?
No dredge. They never came through Schlid, they're all pouring out of Ridgehorn. We only just found out about it. One group went that way, we came here.
Ridgehorn? The fort on the bay? That place has been abandoned for hundreds of years.
Yeah. Maybe that's why they're there. By all accounts it looks like another damned invasion.

Ludin forces his way into the conversation.

Careful now.
You be careful! What did you start? You think men don't remember history? The Long Banner hangs in Arberrang! The second great war nearly screwed us all, what did you do this time?

No one to worry about, anyway.

Ludin's head swivels in your direction, eyes wide. He seems uncertain whether to be insulted or threatened.

What orders did Ulfar give you, Fasolt?
I'm supposed to offer any support you need. I've got three hundred thirty varl behind me, and Ulfar wants to know what's happening at Ridgehorn.

We've got a job to do--

We're going to Ridgeheim.

The words stick in your throat. Why did you say Ridgeheim? You meant Grofheim. Mogr gives you a perplexed look. Something is weird.

To Ridge... horn.

You can't explain exactly what just happened. You're getting that tingly feeling, like before. Like the dream. Ludin's inane barking pulls you back.

I'll have my varl fall in line. Yours to command, Hakon.
Are you insane? He just said na army of dredge are pouring out of that fort!
Go on to Grofheim then, prince. Having your blood on my hands would be worse than doing nothing.

This shuts Ludin up for a moment. You can see the battle raging in his head. He looks desperate for safety, but he didn't expect to flee like a coward. He expected you to come along. He glances at his men.

We're already this far. If this is the varl's doing, I'll know of it, and so will my father. Besides, you need my help, and my fighters. If I go, so do Yrsa and Bersi.

Ludin's unexpected flip-flop catches you like a swift kick to the shins. Mogr can't contain a chuckle.

Hah, the prince has courage!

I'd rather you stop acting like the one in charge of me! What kind of alliance is this?
These are varl lands! We're facing an army of dredge! How much experience do you have in these matters?!
True, mankind has never provoked them into a war! You're going for a third!

Voting will last 24 hours.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
The annoying manling is right. We need Yrsa. Walk away.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I really want to deck him, but I don't know what the consequences would be. Play it safe and walk away.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Walk away, avoid needlessly antagonizing him.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

gently caress that, hit him.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Walk away.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Hitting royal brats brings nothing but trouble unless you're their uncle. Be the bigger varl and walk away.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

ProfessorProf posted:

Voting will last 24 hours.

If walking away means Ludin stays to hopefully die at some point then I vote for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Punch him in the snozz

• Locked thread