Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Yeah, I set my private base (which keeps getting wrecked) a ways back so I could easily chop wood and shift the saplings closer to the main base. It's not hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xexre
Jan 26, 2010

Elder Brother, you're so dreamy
:allears:

Inevitable goon meltdown in Mumble in two weeks

Overnight fortress implosion in three

Fishing pacts shortly thereafter

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez
Good lord I hope not. Let's all be chill bros and play some games together.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Nobody in Tree of Life has defended pedophilia yet so we're not quite on track for a guild implosion.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Xexre posted:

Inevitable goon meltdown in Mumble in two weeks

Overnight fortress implosion in three

Fishing pacts shortly thereafter
Reserved the "tired gimmick worn out" spot on mumble.

Its a game that punishes PvP so hard it makes a non PvP player almost completely (you drop a single item from a stack of maybe 30x 20 slots) invincible and immortal. If you make a huge city and I sneak in, I can just take all your poo poo if its out in the air or being crafted. You can't cook on a fire anymore. I will take it. If you hit me, you turn into a criminal for violence. I can then kill you with no bad affects. A criminal will drop 100% items and clothing. I will die, but respawn exactly where I left off. And do it all over again. Forever, until you pay me off to just....:getout:

I love the dynamic because it has turned a giant PvP open world RPG into leaving post-it notes on the fridge for your roommate to read in terms of passive aggression. We will adapt, or the game will update and we will annihilate.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Except if you're good at pvp with good gear and guildmates that match the same criteria, you'll never die.

A shame that it'll be impossible for goons to get that coordinated.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

wit posted:

Reserved the "tired gimmick worn out" spot on mumble.

Its a game that punishes PvP so hard it makes a non PvP player almost completely (you drop a single item from a stack of maybe 30x 20 slots) invincible and immortal. If you make a huge city and I sneak in, I can just take all your poo poo if its out in the air or being crafted. You can't cook on a fire anymore. I will take it. If you hit me, you turn into a criminal for violence. I can then kill you with no bad affects. A criminal will drop 100% items and clothing. I will die, but respawn exactly where I left off. And do it all over again. Forever, until you pay me off to just....:getout:

I love the dynamic because it has turned a giant PvP open world RPG into leaving post-it notes on the fridge for your roommate to read in terms of passive aggression. We will adapt, or the game will update and we will annihilate.

Well, unless you put guild locks on the workstations, in which case all yellows can do is kill your animals and be stuck

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Deki posted:

Except if you're good at pvp with good gear and guildmates that match the same criteria, you'll never die.

A shame that it'll be impossible for goons to get that coordinated.
I defy you to be good at mouse bashing instead of slow locking and good at pvp with friendly fire, other guild objects around you and monsters that can jump from north to south of you in a move. Also I think we're getting there. Once JimLits guild is filled, REDSHIRTS. I honestly think we're going to have to be traders or mercenaries at some point, people who are just paying attention to not being jerks are getting light years ahead of us and that kind of armed township is creeping up, up up towards where we are from the newbie areas.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Honestly, not locking down crafting stations is a huge downside to our double guild base setup. It would almost be better to build an identical connected but separate partition for the second guild. Could even share a mutual set of walls. Dunno, lot of effort but not having it locked blows in the long term.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez
Yeah, a guild section per guild might be a decent idea.

Does STR add damage to archery? Do bows do way less damage than melee?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
I will be making periodic journeys into the desert for baobab saplings, these guys are cool because they usually drop at least one sapling, usually two, on top of 4-7 logs and often a tree spirit.

I plan on bringing many back so we can use it to our advantage

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?
So I'm back. From reading the thread it sounds like the base has moved, we have two splinter guilds, my old house is probably burned down, all my wheat has been stolen, and my milking bull has been murdered. About right?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The whole base raiding thing all happen when no one was there. That's pretty much how these games work.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I loving love this game. I can't wait until people start playing.

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
130 hours of criminal timer and counting. Can't stop being bad :smith:

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Anyone getting these crashes? I launched it once, played for like five hours and now I'm getting this
client.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\TreeOfLife\client\client.exe" at 0023:00C41AB9

Uninstalled, didn't work. Rebooted fixed it. People on Mumble had the same issues. Put this in the OP

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 8, 2015

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Alright so now that main base is...more or less running smoothly again (still need to finish the stone walls and I guess we're double layering the stone), I'm asking for help with the outpost.

For those of you that are unaware, have never visited, or don't care, this is where the outpost is:

For whatever reason, people leave the outpost mostly alone, yet we can see anyone heading towards the gorge leading into the main base. Only once have we had a problem with somebody, and it was while we were building the outpost in the first place, and also he was hunting us down (that Bald moron). So, for the most part, its pretty quiet with the occasional random passerby stopping to check out the empty shops (i'll be filling them with poo poo soon enough I guess)

Currently, here's how the outpost is laid out:

The main room has three exits, to the north, east, and south. A fourth exit, to the west, leads to the secondary room, which has a few personal houses and the tinker shop/tailor shop, as well as a gate that leads out to the west and empty dead land. Just beyond that empty space is an abandoned base that has been slowly been getting destroyed by monsters.

The outpost cannot have the gates blocked by people building gates in front (one of the gates extends directly into the river, and cannot be built upon), so we'll never get trapped inside.

I'd eventually like to have the outpost overtake the entirety of the island, but that's a very long term project and will take a while to work on; we have more important poo poo to do. More immediate goals are getting the rest of the watchtowers up (need copper sculptures, which other people also need and their projects/needs are a bit higher priority) and putting stone walls around the wooden ones.

I'm planning a baobab garden so that we can farm wood in relative safety without the need to trek halfway across a biome to get poo poo, it'll probably fit in that blue zone. If anyone is bored, or looking for a change of scenery, or is feeling really helpful, I'll be on most of tomorrow to try and knock out the watchtowers and stone walls.

e: and no i'm not asking for people to drop main base tasks and chores to do this; i myself spent a good portion of my weekend fixing and building at the main base. i just see value in an outpost that's kind of out of the way in the event of something Really Bad happening

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 8, 2015

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

You got a problem with Bald guys?
Hmnn?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Baldbeard posted:

You got a problem with Bald guys?
Hmnn?

NO SIR BALD IS BEAUTIFUL

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
I love games like this. At first it looked like servers are temporary since you can build just about anywhere, since they are not and don't wipe how are the devs handling a ton of dead villages? Like in UO houses decayed over time is there something similar here?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Undead spawn at night, loving up any undefended property.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
That is actually a cool way to handle it, is there a monthly cost during beta or is it just $20?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Just $20.

Globofglob
Jan 14, 2008
Is there a certain type of crafter we need in particular? I've gotten to the point I can make cabins/copper ingots, and now I'm unsure what direction I should go in.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Bling acquired!

800-900ish linen cloth waiting to get into guild cabins, make some new locks.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jun 8, 2015

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Paging auzuguruwu are you still alive buddy? :sun:

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

It's all clear to me now. Lockpicking is pure easy mode. I stole more mats in 3 hours tonight than I could have farmed in a week. All while gearing myself in sobody else's high level gear.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Usenet Magic-User posted:

I love games like this. At first it looked like servers are temporary since you can build just about anywhere, since they are not and don't wipe how are the devs handling a ton of dead villages? Like in UO houses decayed over time is there something similar here?

It's destructible so the problem takes care of itself.

Also, someone was raiding our base, I attacked them, I got flagged as red (even though they were destroying the base) and I lost everything so any generous souls getting me back to where I was would certainly be appreciated :^)

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

Jimlit posted:

It's all clear to me now. Lockpicking is pure easy mode. I stole more mats in 3 hours tonight than I could have farmed in a week. All while gearing myself in sobody else's high level gear.

How much lockpocking and theft can you perform without going red?

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

blueberrysmith posted:

How much lockpocking and theft can you perform without going red?

None at the moment. I have over 300 hours of red time.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Alexander DeLarge posted:

It's destructible so the problem takes care of itself.

Also, someone was raiding our base, I attacked them, I got flagged as red (even though they were destroying the base) and I lost everything so any generous souls getting me back to where I was would certainly be appreciated :^)

How did they get in the base without going red?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Haroshia posted:

How did they get in the base without going red?

Odds are good someone opened a door without looking, or worse yet, someone didn't close the doors after they entered/exited.

Close the doors people, we keep harping on about it because a yellow in the base is often more disastrous and irritating to deal with than a red in the base.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Rafzakael posted:

Odds are good someone opened a door without looking, or worse yet, someone didn't close the doors after they entered/exited.

Close the doors people, we keep harping on about it because a yellow in the base is often more disastrous and irritating to deal with than a red in the base.

Unless you are huffing glue there should be no way for people to gently caress up the airlock door system.

Open first door
Walk through
Close first door
Open second door
Walk through
Close second door

Both doors should never be open at once. The other way people get in without being red is monsters break through two layers of walls, one stone and the other wood. To fix this, patch up the drat walls. Hold a coin in your quick bar, then walk up to the wall and right click and drag to the hammer icon.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I think you overestimate goons. It was probably someone not closing doors. Jimlit, can you put a line about that at the very top of the op with sirens? It's getting old.

On that note, crafting at other people's bases is surprisingly safe. I think I've been hassled less while in the middle of burnt out ruins or people's random unlocked and unwalled outposts than I have in the main goon base so far.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

If someone wants to get into the base, they can get into the base. You can enter any base, airlock or not, just by camping the door as a ghost.

Either we need to split the guilds and have locked workstations, or people need to stop complaining about yellows get into the base and loving everything up.

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

a slime posted:

If someone wants to get into the base, they can get into the base. You can enter any base, airlock or not, just by camping the door as a ghost.

Either we need to split the guilds and have locked workstations, or people need to stop complaining about yellows get into the base and loving everything up.

While this may be true we can keep 95% of yellows out by simply closing the doors, something that is unfortunately not happening nearly often enough. Just because someone CAN get in by camping as a ghost, doesn't mean we shouldn't take steps to prevent as many as possible from casually strolling in.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
If auzu died (i hope not) I'll be taking up sewing; feed me your sewing materials, I'll hang onto them for a day and if auzu doesn't come back I'll use them.

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

Oh on another note. If you for some reason feel this game is not for you, and don't feel like playing anymore, please do us a huge favor and log in one more time to drop guild (E > My guild > Leave guild). Spaces in the second guild are steadily filling up, and we really really do not want to have to deal with the hassle of making a third guild.

If you decide to come back and play at some point rejoining the guild is hella easy so its not really a hassle for you!

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

To continue on my posting spree, here is an update from the devs!

quote:

Hello. It has been 12 days since "Tree of Life" has been released in 'steam.'
Thank you for all the support and messages you've sent to our development team.
Now, there are many problems due to bugs, but we promise to solve this problem continuously.
First we want to tell you our first priority task.

Improve a very serious messed up problem.
Crime system
Crime system was pointed out the most in the community and we are also aware of this seriousness. We can divide this problem into two big parts.

A definite ownership
Our biggest problem is that the adventurer actually has the ownership but it is not acknowledged in the system, so this is called 'Yellow Troll.'
The system should without mistake assign the adventurer's property such as assigning land around the rampart or the ownership to animals.

Developing crime penalty
The crime penalty now only lengthens the time and not only doesn't it help the recurrence of the crime, but it's the same as having no penalty if the criminal doesn't die. According to the dynamics of crimes, we are planning to develop this to a practical penalty by dividing the detail and not just simply an increase of time.

Defense Mechanism
Even adventurer minding his/her own business whether that be production or construction needs to have a sufficient method of guarding one’s asset. However, when you are away or logged out, you are exposed to danger with hands tied your back or rather, afk so to speak. To resolve such issue, we added defensive buildings like guard tower and arrow tower but due to various bug and exploitation, attackers have upper hand. We will rebalance so that defenders can defend themselves sufficiently even when user is away; but we will be sure not to overdo it. This Defense Mechanism will have a synergy effect with the crime system.

Land size problem
We are lacking land because many people liked our game than we expected. We want all you adventurers to have your own land flexibly in the game. To solve this problem, we are looking at this in various points of views and we will notify you as soon as we find the solution.

We truly thank you for the attention and love for Tree of Life and we will pay you back by giving you more fun through our effort.

Thank you.

- Odd One Games

These devs seem oddly open about what they are doing, which is pretty nice. Looking at the notes, it seems they want to change the criminal system to have some effect other than just a time debuff? Hope this poo poo aint gonna be too serious, stealing stuff is fun. "Protect your stuff while your offline" may also be interesting, depending on what shape it takes.

All in all, this game is hella fun, and it seems the devs are aware of some of the biggest problems and are working on fixing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Is it possible to disband the guild without destroying the guild hall? Maybe we can just periodically reconsolidate by recreating the two guilds and asking people to join it again. A bit of a hassle, but much less so than making a third guild.

• Locked thread