Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

This is another part that just, does not feel like it fits in the same game with Claude and her shenanigans, or crashing a wedding to princess carry a princess who's gunning people down while you two run away.
It's trying to do all the anime, including the grimdark kitchen sink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

A. No cover-ups.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

This is another part that just, does not feel like it fits in the same game with Claude and her shenanigans, or crashing a wedding to princess carry a princess who's gunning people down while you two run away.

I mean, part of the idea of the anime all-women thing is that they're supposed to be interested in the player insert right? Because Cosette's backstory does not lend itself to that. At all.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Is this even A question?

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!
Definitely A. As an aside, this tonal whiplash definitely makes me believe there was more than one person involved in writing the plot if it hadn't already been pointed out.

Cosette starts out being treated as a bit of a joke, what with the constant comparisons to a kid and overreacting in response. In short, Cosette ends up being treated like she's vaguely competent but is there more as comic relief than as an early game antagonist. Now these last few story beats unfold and suddenly Cosette is Edgy McGonnaKillTheMultiverse with a tendency to make :stare: faces.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Everyone else has talked about tonal difficulties here, but I'd just like to highlight again how bad the game is at tempting the player to moral compromise.

Typically, the trick is pitting an abstract evil against a concrete benefit. You get something you like (military advantage, new allies, revenge) and you distance yourself as much as reasonable possible from how the sausage is made until it's too late to take things back.

Here, most of the big Moral Dilemmas are highlighted with the "bad thing" in question involving murdering children right in front of you, while the "good" is empowering a military official whose first mission for you turned out to be a setup, and whose trustworthyness in general is... somewhat questionable.

It's not as well balanced as it should be, even aside from the tone shifts not working at all.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

A

gently caress 'internal investigations'.

rastilin
Nov 6, 2010
A

The admiral has already betrayed us twice, we'd have to be stupid to extend him any kind of compromise at this point.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

chiasaur11 posted:

Everyone else has talked about tonal difficulties here, but I'd just like to highlight again how bad the game is at tempting the player to moral compromise.

Typically, the trick is pitting an abstract evil against a concrete benefit. You get something you like (military advantage, new allies, revenge) and you distance yourself as much as reasonable possible from how the sausage is made until it's too late to take things back.

Here, most of the big Moral Dilemmas are highlighted with the "bad thing" in question involving murdering children right in front of you, while the "good" is empowering a military official whose first mission for you turned out to be a setup, and whose trustworthyness in general is... somewhat questionable.

It's not as well balanced as it should be, even aside from the tone shifts not working at all.

that was one of my big takeaways from the game as well. it tries to do this high-minded moral dilemma stuff like all those Good Video Game Writings but it completely falls flat because they don't have the writing chops for it.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Part 4b

No. I'm going with this to the press. The truth must be told.
Captain. Your idealism is noble. But it is not going to deliver food and medicine for the people of Ongess. Neither is it going to fuel our ships!
... I saw ...

Captain, in war, accidents happen!
Only when good men fail to act!
… You … Every Grey since the High Admiral has dedicated their lives to serving the Alliance. So many of us have died to protect the Alliance's ideals throughout the galaxy, only to see it torn apart by the squabbling politicians in the Solar Congress! I will not let them end me here! Not with all we've accomplished!
Then this has nothing to do with the innocents of Ongess. It's about you getting elected. Face it, admiral. You've become a politician. You're going to bury this under the carpet just to score a few votes with the public! While innocent children are getting killed, you'd rather play politics than stand for doing what's right!
... Very well, captain.

I did not join the military to cover up atrocities. Neither did my ancestors. We are ... honorable people. Here in the Alliance. I will open a public investigation. As well as attempt to make amends to the Ongessians.
Thank you, admiral.
Now, if you’ll excuse me …
Yes, sir.
And captain ...
Sir?

I know.

Lieutenant Stares, please report to my office.

Before you say anything, as your liaison officer, I offer you my humblest apologies, sir! I was responsible for your safety during the inspection. And in that regard, I failed. I will accept whatever punishment you deem fit.
At ease, lieutenant. No, the inspection let me see a lot of things.
Sir?

Choose one:

A:
The Alliance cannot be trusted.

B:
We have to stop Cosette and her gang together.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Literally everything the Alliance has done on-screen is either shifty or actively screwing us over, and the only reason we even tolerate them is because PACT nuked Buenos Aires Cera from orbit.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

A, Disregard the Association

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

chiasaur11 posted:

I feel like they did it decently the first time, with the diplomats being an acceptable first bad step and only later throwing in the kids to the equation, and for this one it's a post-facto reaction.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I don't think we should be burning bridges. Buuuutt. A, bring out the torches what's the worst that could happen?

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
B

Elf communism is the devil and anime democracy a lie

Old man running the world.

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

A.

We're mercenaries flying a flag of a neutral/subjugated planet with a single ship to our name. Trusting huge organizations is like asking for them to screw us over, because we aren't powerful enough to be a threat to them.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
The Alliance have always been the bad guys. For the Horde! Oh wait, wrong game. Ah well.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
B: things are going public about the mess that just happened, so efforts should be now focused on the more immediate issue

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!
As much as I distrust the Alliance I think focusing on Cosette would be the best course of action for now. The sooner Cosette is dealt with the sooner that Kayto and his band of misfits (and Ava) can focus on doing something about Emperor Elfmask who is still out there smashing multiple henhouses worth of eggs in order to make a burnt omelet.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

B

Crush Cosette.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Always punch up.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I feel like they did it decently the first time, with the diplomats being an acceptable first bad step and only later throwing in the kids to the equation, and for this one it's a post-facto reaction.

That's the thing. They threw the kids in, and they let you revise your decision when that became apparent.

It's a "Look! This is a BAD GUY choice" moment, when you'd do better to just Pale Moonlight it.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

On the one hand, it's not like the Alliance said "hey let's shoot some kids," but on the other hand they did launch a hostage retrieval assault in a residential area.

e: remember, though

Moon Slayer posted:

With the exception of one masked lunatic, everyone in this story thinks they are acting in the best interest of their people.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 29, 2020

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

That does kind of get into some really ugly territory though, because what IS the proper course of action when a heavily armed criminal organization is keeping hostages in a residential area (particularly one filled with their supporters)? Let the hostages get killed - as was about to happen here incidentally, since Cosette is a complete psychopath? Agree to potentially absurd demands and hope the completely untrustworthy organization actually keeps their word? Waffle and pray a miracle happens?

Like, there ARE no good choices here, but the one that causes the least casualties to your own side and allies is always going to be the most palatable one to ANY group.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

the correct course of action is probably "try very hard to minimize collateral damage, accept that it's going to happen anyway"

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Yeah, and to be fair we don't actually see virtually any of the assault so we can't really tell just how much restraint the troops were using. We see the one girl get killed... but when it comes down to it she was armed, and even for hostages one of the giant blazing rules for hostage situations is DON'T BE ARMED. When the rescuers breach, don't pick up a weapon and "help," because you're now an unknown carrying a weapon in a firefight.

Ironically, that they DO want to cover up the civilian casualties points to that they are ashamed of what happened - or at least aware that their citizens would be (or rather, outraged). Like seriously, imagine what Arcadius' response probably would have been - blow up a city every such-and-such amount of time until they're returned, and loudly trumpet the fact all over the place. I'm emphasizing Arcadius here, rather than PACT as a whole - though obviously they've got enough support among their fleet to do so.

Actually, I take that back, Arcadius' response probably would have been to blow up the city the hostages are in, since they were clearly incompetent and not particularly useful given they were captured, then likely blow up a few more to emphasize the point.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You can't seriously call a scared child with a knife a threat a heavily armored adult soldier with an assault rifle. Also putting the blame on a panicked child for not acting calmly and rationally in a highly stressful situation, that which she couldn't possible have had any proper training or preparation for, is total bullshit. To her the only people who has been relatively nice to her are being slaughtered by faceless thugs for no reason. :(

It seems way more that the alliance doesn't want to look bad than any kind of actual guilt and regret over it.

Using an infiltrator to make contact would have been a better start. Cosette talked about money, so most likely she would've handed them over to pact for a posted bounty and hitting them as they tried to leave would've been infinitely safer if you cared the slightest about people. Of course that means the little soldiers would have had to face only armed combatants who all shoot back. Or just used the ryders. Now that I think about it would have been a cool short section where you play as Ava and command the ryders in a daring rescue mission. Maybe Asaga could have princess carried Kayto to safety too.

Poil fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Aug 29, 2020

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Poil posted:

You can't seriously call a scared child with a knife a threat a heavily armored adult soldier with an assault rifle. Also putting the blame on a panicked child for not acting calmly and rationally in a highly stressful situation, that which she couldn't possible have had any proper training or preparation for, is total bullshit. To her the only people who has been relatively nice to her are being slaughtered by faceless thugs for no reason. :(
Kids with knives are absolutely threats, but not to the armoured adult soldier, but rather to the nearby unarmoured hostages. The blame's not on her, it's on Cosette and the poor conditions of Ongess. The Alliance played it right in that specific case.

Poil posted:

Using an infiltrator to make contact would have been a better start. Cosette talked about money, so most likely she would've handed them over to pact for a posted bounty and hitting them as they tried to leave would've been infinitely safer if you cared the slightest about people. Of course that means the little soldiers would have had to face only armed combatants who all shoot back.
Sending in an infiltrator takes time. If they took any longer, Cosette, a known insane and brutal pirate, may have hurt the hostages and that infiltrator would be extremely likely to get caught and killed too, or they'd sell out the Alliance.

Poil posted:

Or just used the ryders. Now that I think about it would have been a cool short section where you play as Ava and command the ryders in a daring rescue mission. Maybe Asaga could have princess carried Kayto to safety too.
Yes, an airstrike would totally be safer and cause less collateral damage than boots on the ground.

The real answer is never go into a slum if you're not a local, or if you've ever left for an extended period. Even if you have a full armoured convoy. Just don't. It's never ended well.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kids with knives are absolutely threats, but not to the armoured adult soldier, but rather to the nearby unarmoured hostages. The blame's not on her, it's on Cosette and the poor conditions of Ongess. The Alliance played it right in that specific case.
The hostages in this case are still trained soldiers, and they could have tried to disarm her or pushed her since they have greater reach or absolutely anything instead of just shooting to kill because it's the easiest "solution" to do. If she was too close to the hostages to do anything else then they would've risked shooting the hostages. Wasn't it way more likely she would've gone for the soldiers? But we have no way of knowing that. Given the level of medical technology a knife wound on the outside of the arm would barely have been inconvenient (at least nowhere near the level of inconvenince from being patched up by the ship's nurse :gonk: ).

I disagree that they played it right. I very obviously do not know anything about real hostage situations but I think they could have handled it a lot better. Caring about collateral damage does make it more difficult but it must be worth the extra risk. It's likely I'm completely wrong here but trying to be better is important.

quote:

Sending in an infiltrator takes time. If they took any longer, Cosette, a known insane and brutal pirate, may have hurt the hostages and that infiltrator would be extremely likely to get caught and killed too, or they'd sell out the Alliance.
True. But equally they couldn't have known if Cosette would have just killed the hostages as soon as they ran in guns blazing either. Or if she had rigged bombs all over the area. If they had had more time before the protagonist went there they could've already had a network with local agents as well but that's not reasonable since it's been so recently since they conquered the place.

quote:

Yes, an airstrike would totally be safer and cause less collateral damage than boots on the ground.

The real answer is never go into a slum if you're not a local, or if you've ever left for an extended period. Even if you have a full armoured convoy. Just don't. It's never ended well.
Not airstriking the slums obviously! Ambushing them during their escape in the air rather than on the ground.

Yes it was a bloody stupid thing to do. They didn't even use disguises or anything, right? They just bumbled in wearing their usual uniforms? Brilliant.

Sorry this is way too rambling.

Poil fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 29, 2020

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Part 5: Setting the Stage

The Alliance cannot be trusted.

The definition of a gift requires that you expect nothing in exchange, Kryska. The Alliance wants something from Ongess. Something it can't get anywhere else. Tell me, what is the difference between Ongess and a dark world like Tautenia?
Captain?
Humor me, lieutenant.
Well ... Ongess is located right on the travel lanes between Far Port and Cera, while Tautenia is a dark world in the distant Nomodorn Corridor. Further, Ongess is rich in natural resources, whereas Tautenia is little more than an icy rock.
All true. But what I was thinking was the fact that the Alliance never dispatched a single aid ship to Tautenia.
Captain, the Alliance has no intention of robbing Ongess. We can establish trade routes with the Ongessians. Exchange food, medicine, technology, for their Ongessite.
And I’m saying that the Neutral Rim has never wanted those things. Cera was invited to sit in the Solar Congress countless times, and each time we turned it down. If Cera had been a part of the Alliance, we knew PACT would never dare strike us. But despite that, we chose to remain independent. Can you understand that there are people in the galaxy who value their self-determination more than their overall GDP, Kryska?
No captain, I do not understand. Cera is now under PACT occupation, and without our help, Ongess will become another dark world.
Maybe one day you will, Kryska. Report to the XO. She wishes a very detailed report of what transpired at Ongess. That will be punishment enough for the security lapse.

You are dismissed, lieutenant.

Later …

Hello? Who’s there?

You killed me.

Just a dream.
(Did I make the right decision?)

*DOORBELL*

Come in.

I came here as soon as my shift ended. I was so scared when I heard you were taken prisoner!
It's all right. I was hardly even gone for two days.
S-still! Did they hurt you!?
Nah, nothing the Alliance couldn't patch up. Just minor bumps and scratches, that's all.
Captain … don’t ever do that to me again! I was so worried I thought I was going to faint...

I'm all right ...

Meanwhile …

Problems, Cosmos?
What do you want?

Oh? I thought you guys had left us for dead after the rear end whooping the Alliance fleet gave you last week.
This is a ... personal mission, shall we say.
Lone wolfing? Such individuality from a red. So? What's in it for us if we help you out?
Only exactly what you've wanted all these years: independence for Ongess once and for all.
Heh...heh...
Eheheh... Aahahahahahaha!!!

Next Time: The Second Battle of Ongess

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

They were gone for two days? I didn't get the impression it was that long at all.

Most cruel and unusual punishment. :v:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Poil posted:

The hostages in this case are still trained soldiers, and they could have tried to disarm her or pushed her since they have greater reach or absolutely anything instead of just shooting to kill because it's the easiest "solution" to do. If she was too close to the hostages to do anything else then they would've risked shooting the hostages. Wasn't it way more likely she would've gone for the soldiers? But we have no way of knowing that. Given the level of medical technology a knife wound on the outside of the arm would barely have been inconvenient (at least nowhere near the level of inconvenince from being patched up by the ship's nurse :gonk: ).

I disagree that they played it right. I very obviously do not know anything about real hostage situations but I think they could have handled it a lot better. Caring about collateral damage does make it more difficult but it must be worth the extra risk. It's likely I'm completely wrong here but trying to be better is important.

You're not all right here, at least. I don't want to get too much into real life beyond "Hostage situations are a nightmare" since I've only done the basic standard research, but there's a reason that negotiators are the usual first step. Once knives and guns come out, it's easy for hostages to get killed in the crossfire, even easier for the people taking hostages to die, and "less than lethal" weapons are still quite capable of being lethal with a little bad luck. (Or doing nothing with different bad luck) If everyone you're trying to get is extracted alive, with no friendlies lost, that's a pretty decent run.

Sticking to the genre, a pretty relevant reference point is Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans, where, to quote slave-turned-ace pilot Chad "The Chad" Chadan "Everyone with a weapon is equal". In season 1, the heroes breach an enemy ship and find a room full of traumatized children. After telling them it's going to be okay, the boarding team turns away... only for several of them to be shot dead.

Underestimating people gets you killed, and a knife to an artery is deadly even with futuristic tech.

Now, to be clear, none of this is something a game or show needs to worry about. If people are already expected to believe in giant robots as a weapon of war, future tech allowing for safe ways to knock people out is pretty much nothing. It's the same as Spider-Man being able to punch people without causing lethal concussions.

But if a game wants the maturity points from having child soldiers and shaky lines between civilians and combatants, it doesn't get to use those cheats. Which is, again, a problem with the game's tone. It goes between trying to be a mature war drama and a goofy comedy without considering the ways the tones can interfere with each other. You can have light comedy and high tragedy in the same story (Shakespeare's tragedies are known for their dirty jokes, Breaking Bad has Jesse's using the bath tub for body disposal, Attack on Titan has Connie and Sasha) but you have to know how they play off each other, and this game doesn't seem to have put much time into considering that.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I see, that makes sense. Thank you and I apologize for dragging it on for too long.

Poil fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Aug 30, 2020

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Episode 10: The Second Battle of Ongess
Part 1: Veniczar Fabulous

It's another PACT scout ship making a short-range jump.
Status?
Hovering just out of weapons range.
That's the fifteenth probe they’ve made since their main fleet warped into the outer system last week. PACT must be planning something.
They know most of the Combined Fleet is stationed at Ongess. Most likely, they want us to chase their scouts so the main fleet can warp in when we’re out of position. Order all Alliance vessels to stay where they are. If PACT manages to slip a ship past us, they could ignite the Ongessite being stored on the docks and wipe out the entire Combined Fleet.
Aye, captain.

We are, lieutenant. There's enough liquid Ongessite in orbit around the planet to blow us all the way back to Far Port. Ava, give me the rundown on their new commander again.
Veniczar Fontana. He's quite young considering his position at the top of PACT. Despite his age, he's seen as Arcadius' right hand man. Reported to be as brilliant as he is deadly.
Crushing on the enemy commander's a capital offense, Ava.
Captain …
Ahem. Also, I believe one of our crew may have encountered him in the past
Oh?
Asaga reported that she briefly met him while she was captured.
What does she say?
You can imagine. “Oh right, that guy. He was actually pretty good lookin' for a red.”
Heh, not quite helpful.
Regardless, he is a far more dangerous foe than anyone we've encountered in the past. We should not underestimate him.
All right, thanks for the advice. You have the bridge. I’m going to check on our ryders.
I’ll join you, captain.

Glad to see ya up and about! Ya had us all worried for a sec there!
Don't worry. I wouldn't let myself get killed by the likes of Cosmos.
Did she hurt you anywhere!? The next time I tangle with her, I'm gonna give her a piece of mah mind!
Just a bump to the head. Nothing serious.
T-that... scum!! I'll be sure to get you some payback, capt'n!
I definitely don’t condon her methods, but in her way Cosette's just fighting to protect her own people.
No, no, no, no!

We'll pound her to the ground for everyone she's hurt! Including you!
Heh-heh. All right, Asaga.
Don't do that to us again. We were all worried.
I was careless. It won't happen again.
Good.
Well then, I better get back to work on Black Jack! We've got another big battle comin'! And I'll bet my money that Cosette's gonna show her mug again. And this time, I'll be ready!
Carry on, Asaga. Looks like I need to go defuse another squabble.

I reiterate, she also had forty armed pirates with her. We had no choice but to surrender.
Pft. The first time you told me this story there were just twenty pirates. And now there's over forty?
It was a chaotic situation! You cannot expect me to remember every detail!
You guys ... Will you two ever get along?
The mercenary started it!

Heh, it's not MY fault soldier boy got herself captured.

W-wha!?
You marched down to the armory and strapped on more weapons than you could carry, screaming something about a rescue mission! The commander had to get six guys from security to drag you down!
I have no idea what you're talking about.
Oh my ... Could it be that you actually care about Kryska?
Shut up! I don't care about anyone.
You're turning red.
I'm leaving! The Phoenix needs ... calibrations.
She's always trying to act cool, and yet ...
I DO NOT ALWAYS TRY TO ACT COOL!
Good hearing, though.

Uh ... carry on, lieutenant. With whatever you were doing. And Claude ... just … no.

So, do the stars answer any of your questions?
… You wish to talk?
The Ryuvian Empire of your time ruled Ongess. Tell me, if you were the Sharr, would you give the Ongessians independence?
I? I have given such matters little thought.
The Ongessians have suffered under the hands of foreign powers for millennia. But they will not be able to recover without foreign intervention. To complicate matters, we need their Ongessite to win this war. Without it, tens of thousands of lives could be lost. Deaths we can prevent by making better arms with Ongessite.
Such dilemmas came with sitting on the throne of Ryuvia. But men craved it. Killed for it. But you are different, are you not? You were thrust onto this stage, not by choice, but by circumstance. To be Emperor was to decide who lived and who died. Such power was inherent to the throne. But it was always my hope that the man who sat in the Star Palace would be a fair ruler, who made decisions for the good of the Empire.

The good of the Empire, huh ...
Whatever happens, I am sure that you will make your decision based on what is good for the galaxy.
I wonder what that is. Terms like “the good of the galaxy” are hard to define. It could mean anything.

Ha. Thanks, Sola. I'll come back to you any time if I need advice.
Mm.

I don’t know if Sola’s exclusive use of the masculan pronouns indicates that Ryuvia only allowed men to inherit the throne or if it’s just a writing blunder.

Here by yourself today?
Ah, yes ... Asaga's been acting strange lately. She's been calibrating the Black Jack more often. She's even stopped playing her games and now spends all day practicing in the simulator.
Uh, really? That's unusual.
(Could it be that Asaga's finally decided to grow up?)
… (Pfft. Nah)
It's good that she's been taking her duties more seriously, but I wonder if she's overdoing it. She really can't do anything in moderation...
That's Asaga for you.

I feel like this one's going to be different. PACT's been acting strange.
In what way?
They came back with a smaller force after withdrawing. A force that size wouldn't be able to take Ongess by itself. I'm not sure what they're after this time.
Do you think Cosette's pirates have something to do with it?
No doubt. The only strategy I can think of is that PACT plans to sneak past our defensive line and hit the Combined Fleet while it's docked. They'll try to wear us down for weeks with feints until we finally get careless and let a ship warp past us. We have to be perfect every time, but they just have to succeed once.
Don't worry captain, we won't let anything past!
Hey, on another topic, there's Asaga now.
!

I was just trying to figure some things out.
Well I wonder what's on the menu today! Yesterday, we even had bulgogi! Alliance requisitions sure are generous, huh? Looks like it's super spicy curry for me today! With a side of even more hot sauce! Listen up, Chigara! The key to victory in war is first to conquer spicy food! A true hero is not born unless you can handle spice!

And with that, I'm off! Enjoy your chat together!
You're not joining us?
Oh, no, no, no, no, no! I've got more scenarios to run on the simulator! Can't let the skills get dull, ya know! Who knows when PACT might attack again!
Well I for one am impressed. What's come over you?
Oh nuthin, just a certain pirate to beat and a ship to protect! See ya guys! Enjoy yourselves!

Sometimes, I worry about her.
Don't worry, Chigara. I'll talk to her later and find out what's going on.
Thank you, captain.

Later …

Report.
Warp signatures detected; a pirate fleet has just warped into high orbit around Ongess.
All right, here we go. Battle stations. Launch ryders.
Aye, sir! All hands, battle stations, battle stations. Set condition one throughout the ship. This is not a drill. Repeat: this is not a drill.
Should have figured Cosette would show her face sooner or later. Size of the pirate fleet?
The largest we've seen yet. I never thought they could organize something that large. They must have pulled in ships from over fifteen different crime rings. The PACT fleet has gone to full thrust as well. It seems they were waiting for the pirates to fill their ranks. Incoming transmission from the PACT fleet.
Put it through.

I'm afraid that wedding's been called off. Something about shooting the father of the bride dead during the wedding.
Unfortunate. Then it appears I have no choice but to take her by force.
Good luck with that, Fontana. We already took care of your friend. What was his name … the big guy, with the mustache. And you're coming at us with less than half the ships he did. There's no way you're going to win this.
Hmph. Cullen was a fool and a stain on our cause. You will find my fleet to be quite different, captain. Numbers are irrelevant where tactics are concerned.
That's … that’s my line.
Heh. I am eager to finally cross swords with the Vanguard of Far Port. Prepare yourself!
All right then, that's enough of Veniczar Fabulous. Ava, put the tactical situation on the screen.

The pirate fleet approaches from a separate angle while our forces have been stretched out in a perimeter around our docks.
A pincer attack, huh. They're going to hit a single point on our perimeter to break through and detonate the Ongessite in our docks.

We’ll have to hold the combined enemy fleet back until the remaining Alliance ships arrive.
Understood, captain.
Give me a shipwide channel and loop the ryders in.
Open.
All hands, this is the captain speaking. It's the moment we've been waiting for. Remember your training, and make us proud. Hold the line. Nothing gets past the Sunrider today!

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

A: Word gets out we're committing war crimes we are probably going to have a bad time.

EDIT: Not gonna lie, this game has things I would absolutely love (space tactics, carrier operations) under a veneer of loathed anime crap.

same

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Yeah, this thread got me inspired to work on a little something myself. Probably won't go anywhere, but both this and GATE piss me off because they're just so close to things I'd really like, but then bullshit anime tropes come in for the majority of the runtime.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I ended up finishing Crying Suns as a result of this thread. Space battles and no anime crap here!

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The problem with GATE isn't really the anime tropes, it's that it's a hyper-nationalistic piece of trash with a power fantasy protagonist. Like yeah, it certainly has some bad anime stuff in it, but it'd still be garbage without them. And while I wouldn't necessarily call Kayto good, he does have at least some depth to him and nothing he's done in battle is really out of line from what he theoretically could have learned in officer school.

As opposed to, you know, beating up an armed and armored guard with unarmed combat learned in basic training.

edit: Basically Sunrider's overall story, characters and plot points are mostly okay, they just need some passes to remove some egregious stuff and try and make the tonal whiplash nowhere near as bad. Likely some other major/minor changes as well, but on the whole it' be just that: changes and reworks, not completely scrapping it.

GATE... you basically have the high concept and that's it - nearly everything else would need to be rewritten from scratch to not have it be garbage.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 31, 2020

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Lord Koth posted:

Likely some other major/minor changes as well,

please no

No major/minor anything, that's the last thing we need here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
I find a lot of the political/military stuff.. Reasonable if you squint at it. The Alliance military is being pragmatic (ie, looking for resources wehre it can get them). A planet that has huge stores of natural resources is extremely important to the war effort -and- also denying it to the enemy.

And at least from the story bits so far it looks like the 'hostage rescue' operation was horribly botched, but no information given suggests ti was anything more than incompetence in doing so rather than malice.

And completely failing to win 'hearts and minds' when dealing with neutrals that are resource rich during times of open warfare is.. A highly frequent and highly unfortunate thing.

So I'd put so far a lot of what we've 'seen' is a mixture of pragmatics heavily dosed with incompetence or a lack of political/military coherence. At least, so far!