Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

clicking this video takes me to some bizarro version of youtube that exclusively reccomends videos from this specific channel. never seen that before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

My main issue with the Marwa thing is just that it's such an unceremonious send-off for the actress. She was around for more than half the season, and all of a sudden it was just "you're played by another actor now, bye"

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I have a problem with the show about literal monsters, they did a thing that crossed the line and I'm just not having it okay?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just Chamber posted:

Arguably Guillermo is the only "bad" person in the show.

Doll Nadja too! That's Nadja's original human soul in there having zero issue with all the brutal murder, vampire Nadja at least has the defense of being soulless and also stricken by the vampire's TRUE curse: Stupidity!

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Guillermo and the vampires are all terrible. Ideally Guillermo would snap and kill them halfway through the season only for them to come back as revenants with Guillermo having only lost his opportunity to become a vampire

404notfound posted:

My main issue with the Marwa thing is just that it's such an unceremonious send-off for the actress. She was around for more than half the season, and all of a sudden it was just "you're played by another actor now, bye"

Ya mainly Marwa was played by a cute and funny lady who I felt should have had a little more of a showcase

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

404notfound posted:

She's a no-name actress who had a very small role in a fairly successful tv show. She's probably pretty happy for the opportunity and maybe it will lead to other things. It's called show business. Do you get this worried about actors who get killed in action movies without even getting a line?

Edit: VVV Nothing aggressive about it, I'm genuinely curious. I've never seen someone so concerned about an actor whose very small role ended before.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 2, 2022

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

ChesterJT posted:

She's a no-name actress who had a very small role in a fairly successful tv show. She's probably pretty happy for the opportunity and maybe it will lead to other things. It's called show business. Do you get this worried about actors who get killed in action movies without even getting a line?

This is a weirdly aggressive response. Sorry I feel like the show could've handled the character's arc a little better? :shrug:

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
For the moment, I am going assume that the show runners know what they are doing and that the obvious gaff of the Marwa thing is supposed to piss everybody and then the finale will have a reveal with Marwa and Nandor getting his comeuppance. If I am wrong, then, yeah, pretty bone headed.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
In a moment of clarity, Nandor will realize everything he did with the genie was "a bit much" and uses his last wish to reset us all the way back to last season's ending, and we'll finally get to see what everyone got up to in Europe and whatnot

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Sivart13 posted:

In a moment of clarity, Nandor will realize everything he did with the genie was "a bit much" and uses his last wish to reset us all the way back to last season's ending, and we'll finally get to see what everyone got up to in Europe and whatnot

I would honestly love that if it leads to another Night Market episode.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I feel like I'm reading meme comments on a Sopranos YouTube saying "I wish they had done more with 'the oh poo poo guy' Marwa, they were one of my favorite characters."

Hell, bring back Jesk or knockoff Jonah Hill girl instead. They were funny

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

hawowanlawow posted:

I feel like I'm reading meme comments on a Sopranos YouTube saying "I wish they had done more with 'the oh poo poo guy' Marwa, they were one of my favorite characters."

Hell, bring back Jesk or knockoff Jonah Hill girl instead. They were funny

lol do you mean Jonah Hill's actual sister?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

no the other one who looks and acts just like Jonah Hill

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

There’s only one episode left? I grow weary of 10 episode seasons. :smith:

I laugh as I catch up on three 24 episode 45 minute each seasons of SVU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

404notfound posted:

This is a weirdly aggressive response. Sorry I feel like the show could've handled the character's arc a little better? :shrug:

What arc? :psyduck: Feel like I'm going crazy here. Marwa was never a character. She was a plot device, a prop, for jokes for Nandor. It is genuinely confusing to me that so many people take umbrage at what happened to Marwa, but didn't have a problem to the literally dozens of other Nandor wives being wished out of existence. Or when her mind was destroyed to turn into "I like whatever Nandor likes". She was already gone way before this.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
People are weirdly hostile about people sympathizing with a minor character, which is a perfectly normal thing to do

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

People are weirdly hostile about people sympathizing with a minor character, which is a perfectly normal thing to do

Why is it hostile for me to say I disagree and am confused why people feel this way? I'm allowed to have a different take. Please don't tell me that simply by virtue of my having feelings about a show that I am harming or attacking you somehow. Can we just have different ideas without calling each other "hostile"?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I used the right keywords, please cede your opinion

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I liked Marwa because girl pretty and me gay.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

XboxPants posted:

Why is it hostile for me to say I disagree and am confused why people feel this way? I'm allowed to have a different take. Please don't tell me that simply by virtue of my having feelings about a show that I am harming or attacking you somehow. Can we just have different ideas without calling each other "hostile"?

For you it's the way other people feeling differently about the character apparently makes you feel like you're "going crazy :psyduck:"

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Henchman of Santa posted:

:monocle:

I had no idea.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

hawowanlawow posted:

I used the right keywords, please cede your opinion

I am triggered by your statement good sir, I demand satisfaction!

But seriously I don't get the attachments to fictional characters either, especially ones that are a blip on the radar in the course of a show. And any time you ask questions to try and learn more you're "attacking" them. I guess we should just give a warm reassuring "me too!" and move on.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 2, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
edit: too tired, not worth it

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Having just now watched the episode and caught up with the thread, I'm really surprised that a bunch of people were apparently put off by Marwa's fate when the thing that soured the episode for me was Jim Jarmusch seeing Sofia Coppola and Thomas Mars murdered in front of him and not realising that it's really happened. That, to me, wasn't "dark comedy", it was just grim. I get that it was supposed to be a joke but it really didn't land for me.

Not much in the rest of the episode was funny either. The blood sprinklers was obviously meant to be a big payoff for a joke that they set up much earlier in the season, but it was too obvious. Colin's sudden aging (at the exact worst time, ruining Lazslo's plans) also seemed to be just going through the motions. No surprises there. And the Guillermo's boyfriend plot was also very light on actual jokes.

I've been enjoying this season up to this point, but this episode was just a complete miss for me.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
This was probably the weakest episode of the season for me. None of the stuff with Nadja at the nightclub trying to entertain people was funny. Colin Robinson going through puberty was dumb. However I did love everything about Nandor turning Marwa into Guillermo's boyfriend and everything that it followed.

And as for Marwa... lol who cares?

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I can't believe I only discovered this show a couple weeks ago. It's so stupid. I love it so much. I still got some laughs from the most recent episode but I also found it kind of dull which I think is a first for me with this show.

As someone who knows several kids just like that, pre-puberty Baby Colin was hilarious to me this season.

Looking forward to the finale but I have no idea what they are going to do with it. Kinda hoping it will be Guillermo vampire time.

I also felt bad for him and thought he deserves better, but as others have pointed out, he's a terrible person himself too. I feel like they have been leading up to Nandor realizing he has feelings for Guillermo, especially with the whole Marwa being all over G trying to kiss him scene when she liked everything Nandor likes.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

run on sentience posted:

I also felt bad for him and thought he deserves better, but as others have pointed out, he's a terrible person himself too.

Yeah, people overlook poo poo he's done all the time more than any of the other characters and as others have pointed out it's even worse because he doesn't have to do any of it to survive. There's also this weird idea that I see a lot around the internet (especially on Twitter) that Guillermo is some kind of helpless victim under Nandor's thrall which I think is pretty insulting to his character. He killed a whole room of vampires! He's kind of a badass! That said of course, you can still feel bad for him for what he's gone through emotionally but he's hardly trapped there. It's such all-or-nothing thinking, like a character's either good or bad and there's no room for nuance at all.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

run on sentience posted:

I feel like they have been leading up to Nandor realizing he has feelings for Guillermo, especially with the whole Marwa being all over G trying to kiss him scene when she liked everything Nandor likes.

Huh, yeah i totally missed that, I thought they were just setting up her having an affair with him.

I wasn't invested in her as a character, but her removal was so abrupt that I suspect it was a late change. She had way more screentime than Jesk and way less payoff.

Maybe she was supposed to die in the last episode or even survive the season and they couldn't fit that, so they had to find a way to delete her offscreen by adding a couple of lines to a plotline they had already shot.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

HOLY gently caress posted:

Yeah, people overlook poo poo he's done all the time more than any of the other characters and as others have pointed out it's even worse because he doesn't have to do any of it to survive. There's also this weird idea that I see a lot around the internet (especially on Twitter) that Guillermo is some kind of helpless victim under Nandor's thrall which I think is pretty insulting to his character. He killed a whole room of vampires! He's kind of a badass! That said of course, you can still feel bad for him for what he's gone through emotionally but he's hardly trapped there. It's such all-or-nothing thinking, like a character's either good or bad and there's no room for nuance at all.

But he's so lovable! Like Charlie Kelly or Allison Mack.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

XboxPants posted:

But he's so lovable! Like Charlie Kelly or Allison Mack.

I'll hear no slander against the genius ganitor.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

He is loveable and I do like him, but there’s all that other stuff too!

edit: wait, what did Charlie Kelly do?
E2: oh wait I got the actor and character names mixed up :dumb:

HOLY FUCK fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 2, 2022

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Guillermo getting to be a vampire will be this show's jumping the shark, should it ever happen, but which for various reasons it shall not.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I don't really mind what Nandor did to Marwa, because I never really saw Marwa as an actual character. She was essentially this construct that the genie popped into existence, like a clay figurine brought to life with magic. All Nandor did was switch what it looked and sounded like, then released it into the world instead of burning another wish to have the genie remove this magical construct that shouldn't exist.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i'm gonna guess the british twink has some shady poo poo going on. they repeatedly set up this season that nandor has incredibly valuable artifacts in his home worth a ton of money, an art dealer turns up at a place he isn't supposed by following a return addreess and oh gee whizz immediately takes a liking to nandor? something fishy imo.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Lmao Sofia Coppola getting the celebrity special was hilarious

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I liked the subtle joke about gay guys basically dating clones of themself. The term is doppelbangers, hilariously :allears:

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Need Tom Hiddleston in the vampire council to get all the only lovers left alive cameos in.

That chicken butt joke landed lol.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

CoolCab posted:

i'm gonna guess the british twink has some shady poo poo going on. they repeatedly set up this season that nandor has incredibly valuable artifacts in his home worth a ton of money, an art dealer turns up at a place he isn't supposed by following a return addreess and oh gee whizz immediately takes a liking to nandor? something fishy imo.

I assumed he was gonna be an incubus with the way Nandor was instantly smitten with him.

Also, Beanie Feldstein's character should come back. She's been a vampire long enough for the shine to wear off, but not long enough for her to become completely untethered from reality.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I like the idea that we don't even know if Marwa was the wife that Nandor specifically remembered either. He claimed he had a favorite among his wives but couldn't remember their name or more than vague recollection of what they looked like, even if they were a man or a woman. Marwa just happened to be the last person left standing after he wished the others away by a process of elimination, and he immediately starts having problems with her and wanting to change things up.

None of which means she WASN'T Nandor's favorite wife, of course, but I love the idea that some "perfect" wife got eliminated like immediately because he misremembered the color of her hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

TyrantWD posted:

I don't really mind what Nandor did to Marwa, because I never really saw Marwa as an actual character. She was essentially this construct that the genie popped into existence, like a clay figurine brought to life with magic. All Nandor did was switch what it looked and sounded like, then released it into the world instead of burning another wish to have the genie remove this magical construct that shouldn't exist.

Same. Or he just killed off Marwa again (if he had truly even brought the "real" Marwa back) and replaced her with Clone Freddie. Think about Marwa's parents and all the other wives, brought back from the dead and then immediately wished into the corn field. I wouldn't say her fate was worse (though a lot of the salt seems to be that she was turned into a white guy, a fate worse than death apparently). Also Jesk had it pretty bad, he keeps coming back only to be killed by Lazlo in brutal ways, and will be for all eternity I suppose.

I'm going to go with the hot take that Nandor has shown quite a bit of character growth over the past few seasons, second only maybe to Lazlo. Compared to how he was in Season 1, he seems to be making some sort of breakthroughs with thinking of others feelings and especially Guillermo's . I was thinking about how he was so nice to Freddie at first and didn't like just, kill him. He seemed to be happy for Guillermo and was playing along with the act as they walked around the house (until he got smitten). In his own way, he tried to make Guillermo happy by breaking it off with Freddie and tried to do something right for Freddie by letting him go. I can't see S1 Nandor, who was far more self absorbed and arrogant, doing that.

There seems to be an overall arc for each of these characters. They seem to have been not very nice people when they were alive, and their worst traits were magnified as vampires. Nandor, the arrogant bloodthirsty warrior ruler, seems to be thinking of others more and realizing he's lonely and needs friendship and fulfillment. Lazlo, the dilettante, self centered, hedonistic aristocrat is learning to care for others, as Jackie Daytona, "father" of Baby Colin, and even friend to Shawn, a human he seems to genuinely like and treat well. Nadja, who is as jerky as them (and turned Lazlo) had perhaps the most justification for being mean and self centered, as she grew up in legit poverty and saw her village massacred, has experienced several instances of agency and empowerment and success among her peers. Even if some of these things ended, they must have had some positive influence on her.

Colin, not sure about him as we still don't know about his nature. Since as an energy vampire his existence depended on him being a jerk, it's hard to imagine him having or needed positive emotional growth. He seemed to be moving towards looking for companionship and answers and wanting to be more of a friend to his housemates last season, but that was all erased. You could say Baby Colin is more positive and slightly less annoying, and has hobbies and talents, but I'm not sure for an energy vampire any of that is actually good.

Edit: drat, it is amazing that jokey vampire show makes people think this deep...

Astroman fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 3, 2022