Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Overbite posted:

Zestiria is my personal worst Tales. After every tales game (Legendia included) I could remember parts I liked and I felt good about playing it. I was glad Zestiria was finished and I promptly uninstalled it. I didn't like a single thing about it.

As for the best, I really like Abyss and Vesperia :shobon:

And the last good Final Fantasy was 7. Every one after that was lame. 12 was almost cool.

Game was so bad I finished it yea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I wish I hadn't played through Zestiria on the hardest difficulty at all points. I enjoyed it at the time but I think now of how often fights would just devolve into joining with Mikleo and shooting people with the massive water laser from across the battlefield. Or joining with Lailah and throwing fire waves or giant explosions all the time.

gently caress the Armatus, basically.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I like Zestiria a lot, though I cheat engined the water temple because gently caress that place.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Overbite posted:

Nothing about FF15 looks interesting. It's the most boring final fantasy. Let's Camping with coleman and winnebago crusin down the street in my 64

you'd rather see me wit some chocobos
than me and prompto rollin in a verso

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
goin up the country, baby don't you chocobo

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I think we'll know very clearly after this event tonight what to expect from FF15. This is going to be good, I think. There's a change in the air and I like it.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Best tales game is obviously Rebirth.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
Star Ocean 5 NA release date is June 28th. :allears:

Edit: How the heck did I miss this back on page 901. I only went back to 902 before I posted.

Looks like someone goofed on the S-E store and posted an image they shouldn't have. It's gone now, but was up for most of the day.

Still no NA Collector's Edition announced, but at least we get the 'day one' DLC goodies JP is getting.

Now NCSX just needs to email me that they've shipped my copy of the JP CE and my week will be made.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I haven't played a Tales game. Maybe I'll get the next one

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Nihilarian posted:

I haven't played a Tales game. Maybe I'll get the next one

Same. I was tempted to start with Zestiria since it came out recently but fan reaction was not very positive so I decided to hold off and try Xillia or Graces during a release lull.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I've not played a Tales other than Destiny when I was like 6.

What would everyone recommend to start with

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I started with Destiny 2/Eternia. That was fun, if disjointed and poorly-paced. I really disliked Phantasia. My favorite is Vesperia by a big margin, but it wasn't without its weak parts. I wanted to like Zestiria, but I just couldn't get into it because there was too much system micromanagement.

So start with Vesperia or Eternia? :v:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Kild posted:

I've not played a Tales other than Destiny when I was like 6.

What would everyone recommend to start with

abyss is a pretty well-rounded tales game, it's even got some of the best main story writing

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

The only good RPG named Destiny was made by Bungie.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The Colonel posted:

abyss is a pretty well-rounded tales game, it's even got some of the best main story writing
Yeah I'd say Abyss or Xillia. A lot of people's first was Symphonia (myself included) but it's aged poorly enough that it's probably skippable at this point. Phantasia on the PSX is actually pretty decent as well if you want to try something older, though I wouldn't try it first before getting into the franchise with something more modern.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Zestiria was bad. The battle system was bad. The story was bad. The temple music was great but all the rest was bad, and I used the DLC costumes pretty much all the time just to get some battle music that didn't suck.

Best Tales is Abyss followed by the PS2 remake of Destiny or Vesperia. Narikiri Dungeon X for PSP also had very solid gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc-00WlbDpY

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 30, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

destiny PS2 and narikiri dungeon are japan only, mind.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah I'd say Abyss or Xillia. A lot of people's first was Symphonia (myself included) but it's aged poorly enough that it's probably skippable at this point. Phantasia on the PSX is actually pretty decent as well if you want to try something older, though I wouldn't try it first before getting into the franchise with something more modern.

I only played Symphonia when it came to PS3 and thought it was okay. It wasn't much better than okay, but I didn't think it had aged badly.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Stux posted:

The only good RPG named Destiny was made by Bungie.

Shadow of Destiny was decent

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Symphonia hasn't aged that badly but the more timeless aspects like plot and characters are mediocre by series standard which means there isn't a huge incentive to play it. If you've played other games and are a fan of the series you may as well give it a shot, it's hardly bad

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

Shadow of Destiny was decent

Um, wasn't that more of an adventure game? Or is Shadow of Destiny different from ShadowS of Destiny?

Also this forum has always had such a...different opinion of Symphonia compared to other places I post. It's highly beloved on a lot of boards with people regarding it as the best Tales game in terms of story and whatnot. When I've pointed this out, people come back with "it was their first Tales game and that's the only reason they think that." I had people try to say that poo poo for FFVII too and it wasn't right then so I'm skeptical.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for a lot of people they haven't played symphonia since they were like 15

and i dont mean that as some sick burn

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Um, wasn't that more of an adventure game? Or is Shadow of Destiny different from ShadowS of Destiny?

Also this forum has always had such a...different opinion of Symphonia compared to other places I post. It's highly beloved on a lot of boards with people regarding it as the best Tales game in terms of story and whatnot. When I've pointed this out, people come back with "it was their first Tales game and that's the only reason they think that." I had people try to say that poo poo for FFVII too and it wasn't right then so I'm skeptical.

It's right for 7 too.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's true about Symphonia lol, it was my first and basically blew my mind every 5 minutes when I was 12. I still love it but I can see the flaws when I replay it

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah Shadows is an adventure game. I'd forgotten what the actual gameplay was like.

As for Symphonia it's still decent. It's just that all the following games made some large and necessary improvements.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

legendia sure didn't

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

legendia sure didn't
legendia made the improvement of letting go shiina compose

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

voltcatfish posted:

legendia sure didn't

Legendia wasnt great when it came out

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kild posted:

It's right for 7 too.

I used to prefer IX and X to VII, in spite of VII being my first. However as the years have gone by, I've come to like VII more than either of them.

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah Shadows is an adventure game. I'd forgotten what the actual gameplay was like.

It's still a good game, though. I agree with you on that.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I like parts of Legendia and the gameplay sure isn't it.

Like I've gone back to it recently and I have no loving idea if the idea of getting a 3 normal attack + base + arcane combo going is even a thing, because Senel's artes all loving suck at combos.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

hoo ha eat this

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

So PS2 Abyss is fine? I don't have a 3ds

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Endorph posted:

destiny PS2 and narikiri dungeon are japan only, mind.

Yeah but if you have played one Tales game you can usually play any, even with a language barrier. Hell, it's simple enough to pick up what's going on in the story just from visual cues too.

Kild posted:

So PS2 Abyss is fine? I don't have a 3ds

PS2 TotA is good, yes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Verranicus posted:

Yeah but if you have played one Tales game you can usually play any, even with a language barrier. Hell, it's simple enough to pick up what's going on in the story just from visual cues too.
since a lot of the appeal of the series is in the skits and characters, id kind of disagree. like yeah you can play them but it's hardly just as good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPfMATdVN-w

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

God, Nintendo how could you make such a lovely broken glitchy game?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I love the crazy Mario information videos

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Endorph posted:

since a lot of the appeal of the series is in the skits and characters, id kind of disagree. like yeah you can play them but it's hardly just as good.

Thankfully there tends to be decent translation guides for the stuff that flat out doesn't have patches. Or there were when I played them, I assume they're still out there.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Phantasium posted:

Thankfully there tends to be decent translation guides for the stuff that flat out doesn't have patches. Or there were when I played them, I assume they're still out there.

Basically this. I pretty much learned how to read, or at least understand, the text in import titles by just playing them a lot and following the odd translation guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

stahn would whjoop lloy'ds loving rear end