Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I pulled off my screen protector and now my Switch has cartridge holders glued to the back of it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

ALFbrot posted:

I pulled off my screen protector and now my Switch has cartridge holders glued to the back of it :(

Please, my friend.... have you learned nothing from this thread?!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Croccers posted:

Because as far as I know, their prices didn't change when introducing the scheme hence free games all those years ago.

It's an enticement to get you to sign up for a paid service. It's a cool perk and I've used it myself. But it is in no sense of the word "free". Netflix adding new shows doesn't make those shows "free" either.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ALFbrot posted:

also the Pirates sold Cutch, how could you

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ColdPie posted:

It's an enticement to get you to sign up for a paid service. It's a cool perk and I've used it myself. But it is in no sense of the word "free". Netflix adding new shows doesn't make those shows "free" either.

Bonus, then. WHOOOO CAAAARES

I'm still paying the same as I did before I started to get those games, I'll keep on calling them free.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

You do, the doofus that is making GBS threads on the actually free service and defending the not actually free aspects of another service.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Mahoning posted:

You do, the doofus that is making GBS threads on the actually free service and defending the not actually free aspects of another service.

It's only free because Nintendo can't get their poo poo together with online stuff, though.

I'd rather pay for a robust, decent, time-tested online system than go in for a temporarily free one that sounds terrible and makes you use a cell phone app for chat.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Lodin posted:

Kotaku just posted that there's a multiplayer Scribblenauts in the works. Mite be cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us7M8MEhgZ0

So this is going to be a Scribblenauts implementation of The Oldest Game, is it? Might be interesting, especially if they try to do something like Jackbox and support 4-8 players typing words on their phones.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Hardly any news out about it.

quote:

The next Scribblenauts is a party game, coming March 6 to PS4, Xbox One, and Switch. It’ll come with a four-player Showdown mode with a board-game-style map and a two-player Versus mode where you can battle in various mini-games.
Since it's not coming to PC I guess it's local only.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also the Pirates sold Cutch, how could you

Please, I'm shitposting in a nintendo thread to take my mind off of the ills of the universe, let me have this

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I did not expect to love the DQB demo as much as I did. Probably the first time a demo successfully turned me from "eh" to "WHEN THE gently caress IS THIS OUT?" in such a short timespan.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I have psn and honestly most of the "free"games you get are awful. There is the occasional gem like metal gear solid 5 and rocket league though

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Hope you guys weren't expecting that Link Between Worlds rumor a while back to be a Switch port seeing as the person that thought it was just joining the selects line totally called it.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/953296479740923909

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zelder posted:

I have psn and honestly most of the "free"games you get are awful. There is the occasional gem like metal gear solid 5 and rocket league though

Yeah I got mgs5 years after I had already played it. That sure was great.

Rocket league is like the only good thing I got from it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
All this is boring because Nintendo are going to die because they still haven't announced a Switch port of Captain Toad

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I would totally buy a dockless switch that played stuff at 1080p at 60fps.

E: as in, cannot be undocked, played at tv only.

RealityWarCriminal fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 16, 2018

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Phantasium posted:

Hope you guys weren't expecting that Link Between Worlds rumor a while back to be a Switch port seeing as the person that thought it was just joining the selects line totally called it.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/953296479740923909

God I really want SNES Remix on Switch.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Reality Loser posted:

61 or no deal I CAN TELL

(I play docked 99% of the time so no deal anyway tbqh)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Reality Loser posted:

why would the lack of a dock have anything to do with the performance

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Andrast posted:

Yeah I got mgs5 years after I had already played it. That sure was great.

Rocket league is like the only good thing I got from it

I cant wait until Nintendo has a game giveaway program. They'll keep detailed records of all the games I've bought and only give me stuff that I haven't ever owned digitally or physically. It will be great!

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Feels Villeneuve posted:

why would the lack of a dock have anything to do with the performance

It does but not in the direction you want. It gets better when docked. There is absolutely no reason to expect a nondockable Switch to have better performance than a dockable one, and as mentioned earlier, Nintendo have zero reason to put one out (and you have zero reason to want one since it won't be cheaper anyway).

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CRAYON posted:

I cant wait until Nintendo has a game giveaway program. They'll keep detailed records of all the games I've bought and only give me stuff that I haven't ever owned digitally or physically. It will be great!

I don't particularly want nintendo to do a similar deal either

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

I'm still paying the same as I did before I started to get those games, I'll keep on calling them free.

OK, but they're not free, you're just paying for them in a different way.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

It does but not in the direction you want. It gets better when docked. There is absolutely no reason to expect a nondockable Switch to have better performance than a dockable one, and as mentioned earlier, Nintendo have zero reason to put one out (and you have zero reason to want one since it won't be cheaper anyway).

Unless by dockless you mean one that can only be hooked up to a TV - no internal display or anything. You wouldn't have to worry about battery life or heat in portable mode and could use a higher clocked processor.

That said, I don't see that happening since it kind of defeats the point of the system.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ColdPie posted:

OK, but they're not free, you're just paying for them in a different way.

As Croccers pointed out, it didn't effect the price of XBL.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

TVs Ian posted:

Unless by dockless you mean one that can only be hooked up to a TV - no internal display or anything. You wouldn't have to worry about battery life or heat in portable mode and could use a higher clocked processor.

That said, I don't see that happening since it kind of defeats the point of the system.

Oh, like, stationary? Nonportable? Sure, but I sincerely doubt Nintendo would want to undo their whole marketing program and fragment the market to boot. People would instantly see this as a reason to put out Switch Pro(tm)-Exclusive! games that don't run at all on portables and cause Nintendo a shitload of grief.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Yes that's what I meant.

We've already a non 3d 3DS so why not, make a non switchable switch.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

If you pay for a service, and get things that you wouldn’t get if you weren’t paying for the service, those things aren’t free. I also think it’s completely reasonable to wait on buying an online multiplayer game until you’re sure that the future cost of multiplayer will be worth it to you. It would suck to be torn between feeling like you wasted your money on the game because you’re not paying for the multiplayer service, and feeling like you‘re paying for a service you don’t really feel is worth it so you didn’t waste your money on the game.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I can’t believe XBL is still $60 a year.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Reality Loser posted:

Yes that's what I meant.

We've already a non 3d 3DS so why not, make a non switchable switch.

The 3D screen was an active impediment to selling 3DSes to children, the switch's switchability is it's main selling point

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

As Croccers pointed out, it didn't effect the price of XBL.

What's your point? You pay $10/mo or whatever and in return you get access to a few games a month and to their online service. They're giving you more for your money than they used to, sure, but it's still not free. MS and Sony pay the game devs for each download. No part of the transaction is free.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

A portable only “Switch” seems more likely to me, especially when the mainline Pokémon games move to it.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Well on the other hand, I can see them releasing a stronger, NewSwitch that works with all accessories, including joy cons. The industry has set the precedent that this is totally acceptable and plenty will douple dip or upgrade, and Nintendo is no stranger to this trend (3ds to new3ds). Maybe OG switch would see a small discount

Personally, I'd be fine with that. I'd happily pay for a stronger tablet that plays the same games + new ones within the next 12-24 months, if only to allow for more current gen ports

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I could see a smaller and more portable switch with non-detachable joycons coming out, doesn't come with a dock, but there'll be a new official slim dock for $60 that works with both

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ColdPie posted:

What's your point? You pay $10/mo or whatever and in return you get access to a few games a month and to their online service. They're giving you more for your money than they used to, sure, but it's still not free. MS and Sony pay the game devs for each download. No part of the transaction is free.

Well, tell it to Microsoft, they're able to advertise them as free.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

if it’s in an ad then it must be true

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Weedle posted:

if it’s in an ad then it must be true

Report it as false advertising then.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

thexerox123 posted:

Well, tell it to Microsoft, they're able to advertise them as free.

haha ok buddy and when I worked at directv we legally were allowed to say that our plans cost $30/month on the flyer AND over the phone when in reality literally nobody ever got a bill less than $70 during their first year (usually doubled during year 2). You just talk about all the cool poo poo, get people wet and moist, and rush through the required script that spells out the actual pricing scheme while your mark glosses over their exciting SPORTSBALL package that is absolutely worth all this bullshit (it's not)

also lol if you still pay for directv

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
What happens to these free games when you stop paying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Modus Pwnens posted:

What happens to these free games when you stop paying?

Actually nothing on XBL, it's Sony that revokes access when you don't pay.

• Locked thread