Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Irate Tree posted:

Yeah, they came up early in my search and the company that made them seems to be defunct, now.

Wargames Factory were bought by Warlord, and Warlord have very slowly been rereleasing all the WGF sprues. Zombies are out, but unfortunately for you the skellies aren't yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Wrong scale but my first thought was;
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004DK4FO0/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_MUfYxbZWKTNCX

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NTRabbit posted:

Wargames Factory were bought by Warlord, and Warlord have very slowly been rereleasing all the WGF sprues. Zombies are out, but unfortunately for you the skellies aren't yet.

Welp.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
Has anybody tried Starfall? It brands itself as a miniatures game where you can use any miniature and even includes examples of what each faction represents. It seems to be reaching but I don't know if it has the gameplay to match the ambition.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Haven't played it, but here's the the website for it and here's something a review I found.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Irate Tree posted:

Yeah, they came up early in my search and the company that made them seems to be defunct, now.

Warlord Games bought some of the sprues, and are now selling some but not all of the historical stuff. The sci-fi stuff are sold as Dreamforge Games. I haven't seen any of the fantasy stuff surface.

Warlord posted this on TMP almost exactly a year ago:

"Back in 2015 we became the exclusive worldwide distributor of the Wargames Factory range – and have since been working to have many of the kits re-tooled and re-packaged to bring them a little more into-line with the existing Warlord range. To date, we've re-released the Zombies and Zombie Survivor kits to great success with 'Project Z', the WSS kits, and the entire 'Rising Sun' range recently re-released as part of the hugely popular 'Test of Honour' range… with many others in the works.

We're working on these alongside our usual weekly releases supporting our existing ranges, and a number of other games in the pipeline… Phew! – there's plenty in-the-works from the Warlord studio. As 'Mike Target' righly mentions above – The Orcs, Skeletons and Amazons (among others) are indeed in the works, being re-tooled and re-packaged – and will re-appear for sale on the Warlord site soon.

The Orc sprues have – for now – sold-out, however there should be a re-stock inbound soon. If you want any further information on receiving automated alerts when they're re-stocked, or for any other queries, by all means drop us an email at info@warlordgames.com – and we'll be happy to help"

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I found another post on TMP where someone asked about the WGF skellies in April last year, and someone from Warlord confirmed they were due out in a matter of months. The OP had then replied to the thread in April of this year asking what had happened.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Other things may have gotten in the way - they've got that Doctor Who game going on, their sci-fi game, their Bolt Action and '47 stuff, etc.

The orc sprues are back in stock though, so...

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

LashLightning posted:

Other things may have gotten in the way - they've got that Doctor Who game going on, their sci-fi game, their Bolt Action and '47 stuff, etc.

The orc sprues are back in stock though, so...

I keep wondering who the hell plays the Doctor Who game, as I've never seen anyone post about it. But they keep churning out products for it, so evidently someone does.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
People don't play games. People collect games.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

lilljonas posted:

I keep wondering who the hell plays the Doctor Who game, as I've never seen anyone post about it. But they keep churning out products for it, so evidently someone does.

I think people collect the figures more.

They are trying to push the gaming aspect more with the five figure army builder sets, while putting the related characters in one set so you don't get duplicates. They've done this with Ice Warriors and Sontarans.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I got the Doctor Who starter for my secret santa, but unfortunately nobody at my LGS plays it and I've not gotten around to finishing up painting everything. I'll get around to it, I swear!

In other Warlord-related news, I preordered a copy of the Konflikt '47 preview pack for the latest expansion. I have to admit, a goon asking earlier in the thread about that idea for a Bioshock skirmish game I had sort of put me on the lookout for minis, and the chap on the right looks like it might be suitable for conversion into a Big Daddy (at least, the colour scheme makes it look that way).

Also, looking at the free rules they put up for the mini they package with the rulebook, and I figured that they are basically perfect for representing Captain America in Bolt Action. I even found a pretty awesome WWII-era Cap mini...

Unfortunately, it's out of production. I mean, it was an unofficial one in the first place, so I don't know what I was expecting, but it's still a bit of a bummer, especially since the only alternative I have is Heroclix.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
I like the miniatures for Konflikt ‘47, though I haven’t actually looked into the rules that much. How are they, at least as far as paint scheme rigidity and other stuff? I have a good number of Soviets from there (and Secrets of the 3rd Reich, which has always felt like a weird game that I’m not particularly interested in) for This Is Not A Test, because running an over-the-top Soviet propaganda warband is pretty fun and has managed some kinda funny CHUD rage

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

There's a literal Soviet propaganda unit, daughters of the motherland, who are female semi super soldiers.

You'd be fine to do that. The Soviet heavy infantry and light walker both look good as well.

With K47 you can either go standard WWII army with a couple of sci fi units or balls to the wall super science with werewolves and vampires and zombies and 'power' armour.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Hedningen posted:

for This Is Not A Test, because running an over-the-top Soviet propaganda warband is pretty fun and has managed some kinda funny CHUD rage
You've seen Six-String Samurai, right? Nothing wrong with having post-apocalyptic Red Army remnants around Lost Vegas.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hedningen posted:

I like the miniatures for Konflikt ‘47, though I haven’t actually looked into the rules that much. How are they, at least as far as paint scheme rigidity and other stuff? I have a good number of Soviets from there (and Secrets of the 3rd Reich, which has always felt like a weird game that I’m not particularly interested in) for This Is Not A Test, because running an over-the-top Soviet propaganda warband is pretty fun and has managed some kinda funny CHUD rage

The rules are tewaked versions of Bolt Action (to the point they're functionally cross-compatible), and that's a pretty simple to pick up ruleset.

Don't worry, there's nothing specifically limiting paint schemes (some players might want to hew to historical paint schemes, since usually their armies will also be for Bolt Action, but since we're talking a game with Soviet Man-Bear hybrids, you can go out of bounds quite happily). You can check out the free army list builder if you want to see how force composition works.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 24, 2018

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Gates of Antares seminar with Rick Priestley, discussing the game, potential 2nd edition, some other stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-8h1ifPu8o

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Hey guys I snagged a copy of L5R Clan War for :10bux: at my FLGS. Figure I can find lots of Samurai/Ninja/Ashigaru figures on the internet to use in it and I can scrounge for the weird monstery things.

Is the game actually any good though?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

You might want to play Test of Honour instead.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
test of honor doesnt have mythical creatures, but kensei does along with free rules

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Tomorrow, the 20th of June, Warlord Games will be revealing miniatures for their upcoming Strontium Dog game. Gav Thorpe and Andy Chambers, of Battlefleet Gothic fame, are behind the rules, and apparently the website will be www.strontium.dog, because someone went crazy with the TLDs at some point.

The comics of Strontium Dog follow Johnny Alpha, a mutant on an Earth where in 2150 a big ol' nuclear war broke out. Due to the amount of radioactive material known as Strontium-90 released into the atmosphere, mutants started being born in the surviving populace and face great discrimination - to the point where the best job they can find is as bounty hunters with the Search/Destroy Agency, and mutant bounty hunters thus become known as Strontium Dogs. There have been cross-overs with the more well known Judge Dredd, but they're sort of different universes really.

Alpha, himself, has funky glowing eyes that give him a sort of X-Ray Vision, allow him to see folks' brain waves and he also has limited telekinesis. He's pals with a time-traveled viking warrior, Vulf Sternhammer, the fugly, ornery and Scottish Middenface NcNulty and Durham Red, a lady mutant who's a vampire but not really a vampire. Stories can be somewhat crazy, will Alpha traveling to a dimensional equivalent of Hell, to distant planets, and even time-travel - one time involving a bounty on Hitler. Storylines also went into the discrimination against mutants, and Johnny's efforts to fight against it.

Mongoose Publishing and Wargames Foundry both stopped selling their miniatures and related products a short while ago, perhaps to allow Rebellion to pool resources - Mongoose had both RPGs based on the Traveller ruleset for players to act as Judges in the Dredd-verse and as mutant bounty hunters in the Strontium Dog 'verse, and a gang-based wargame which featured Judges up against gangs of Fatties, Simians, etc. Foundry had a rather wide line of metal miniatures for various characters along the classic line of 2000ad ongoings.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Anyone here ever play the Heavy Gear game?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Interested in the SD game, but I have doubts after how the WG Judge Dredd game died.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

JcDent posted:

Interested in the SD game, but I have doubts after how the WG Judge Dredd game died.

It wasn't Warlord Games, it was Mongoose. Mongoose contracted the manufacture of minis to Warlord when they lost their manufacturing facility because at that point they'd also lost all their minis licences except the 2000 AD ones.

Mongoose has just been a poo poo show with mini licencing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Thundercloud posted:

It wasn't Warlord Games, it was Mongoose. Mongoose contracted the manufacture of minis to Warlord when they lost their manufacturing facility because at that point they'd also lost all their minis licences except the 2000 AD ones.

Mongoose has just been a poo poo show with mini licencing.

Origins 2006 Starship Troopers is huge with a large amount of players and a big ol tournament.

Origins 2007 it's dead

At least I have some really neat arachnid miniatures to practice painting on if I ever stop being lazy

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Rebel Minis bought a bunch of the bugs, at least.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

test of honor doesnt have mythical creatures, but kensei does along with free rules

Thanks for this, I think it's what I was looking for when I got Test of Honor. I like Ronin for samurai skirmish but Kensei seems good for bigger games.

I've owned the Super Gachapon Fighter rules since they came out in 2009 but I just finally played the demo rule set(link) a couple days ago. I feel like it captures a very video game fighting system really well. Has anyone checked this out before? I honestly like it better than what I've seen of the new street fighter miniatures game that just got kickstarted. We played using Disney Infinity figures, it was pretty entertaining.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Len posted:

Origins 2006 Starship Troopers is huge with a large amount of players and a big ol tournament.

Origins 2007 it's dead

At least I have some really neat arachnid miniatures to practice painting on if I ever stop being lazy

I keep meaning to write up the hilarious disaster of clashing egos that was ACTA: Star Fleet Battles. Steve Cole and Matt Sprange make a Star Trek game together and hilarity ensues for everyone except the buyers.

Not sure where I'd put such a thing.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Loxbourne posted:

I keep meaning to write up the hilarious disaster of clashing egos that was ACTA: Star Fleet Battles. Steve Cole and Matt Sprange make a Star Trek game together and hilarity ensues for everyone except the buyers.

:justpost:

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Loxbourne posted:

Yeah that was a poo poo show. Not helped by the total gently caress up of the resin models for the 1st wave of minis, which had to be replaced with metals.

I remember Matt trying to persuade ADB that simple geometric ship shapes was perhaps a bit dull, and that miniatures games needed points of interest. Because everything not from the original series tended to be one ship shape in various sizes or stretching one or more parts of it.

Again, had lots of potential, and the ships are nice. But no players.

Also a big salty that ADB took my solution to how to convert SFB stats to ActA stats for hull and gave me no credit for it.

SFB also seems like a weird far right cult now because of ADB and Steve Cole's political views.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Loxbourne posted:

:justpost:

I would love to read this because I liked the Babylon 5 game, missed out on it, and thought it would be cool to get into ACTA: Star Fleet Battles. It seemed to crash and burn pretty quickly and I remembered being taken aback by the pricing at Gencon when they released the first models.

LewdMonocle
Mar 8, 2007

S.J. posted:

Anyone here ever play the Heavy Gear game?

It's a mess. From what I recall when Heavy Gear Blitz rules came out (2016?) it wasn't crunchy enough for the veterans and was too complicated for beginners. Now whats left of the community is split between different homebrew rules.

If I still had my robots I would rather use them to play Horizon Wars or Gruntz

quote:

Starship Troopers talk

I still have a box full of SST stuff. gently caress, I wanted that game to be big. After the collapse, somebody bought a pallet full of m9 Chickenhawk Marauder Suits, nice to see them still floating around...

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

LewdMonocle posted:

It's a mess. From what I recall when Heavy Gear Blitz rules came out (2016?) it wasn't crunchy enough for the veterans and was too complicated for beginners. Now whats left of the community is split between different homebrew rules.

I still have a box full of SST stuff. gently caress, I wanted that game to be big. After the collapse, somebody bought a pallet full of m9 Chickenhawk Marauder Suits, nice to see them still floating around...

The new plastic minis are really nice, but I'm led believe the veterans don't like them either because they're not metal, and also some details and designs were changed to work with plastic which was just doubling down on wrong.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

A while back people were talking about Batman Miniature Game and tossing around starting a thread for it. I've got some Militia stuff on the way and getting a demo tomorrow (I think I'll like it, but if I absolutely hate it I'm repurposing the Militia stuff as Araidna, so no great loss), so I'd be interested in a thread. Also keeping an eye on the Batman: Metal previews that are showing up, it seems very cool.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

In my ill-advised attempt to find miniatures suitable for Clan War, I am having a helluva time finding samurai with tetsubo. I can find them with every other weapon that ever existed for their use in feudal Japan, but no tetsubo. Plenty of demons and even some goblins using tetsubo, but no regular dudes. :cripes:

E: I suppose I can get a bunch with spears and greenstuff them into tetsubo :shrug:

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 21, 2018

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Pyrolocutus posted:

A while back people were talking about Batman Miniature Game and tossing around starting a thread for it. I've got some Militia stuff on the way and getting a demo tomorrow (I think I'll like it, but if I absolutely hate it I'm repurposing the Militia stuff as Araidna, so no great loss), so I'd be interested in a thread. Also keeping an eye on the Batman: Metal previews that are showing up, it seems very cool.

We have a reasonably active local scene with diverse crews, its a fun game. The Dark Knights Metal models are awesome so far. Im curious if they will be their own crew or free agents.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

LewdMonocle posted:

Thanks for the heads up, though that's kind of a bummer. The system itself seems like something I would enjoy, and I really like the designs they have.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

So this thread got me interested in the 5150 Star Army system - I bought a copy of the rules but I am really having a tough time figuring out how to set up a game. Like I kind of get the mechanics within the turn, but I have no idea how I'm supposed to build squads and start a scenario. Does anyone know of a really detailed walkthrough or battle report for this system?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

bonds0097 posted:

We have a reasonably active local scene with diverse crews, its a fun game. The Dark Knights Metal models are awesome so far. Im curious if they will be their own crew or free agents.

No idea myself. I'm personally hoping they'll be free agents, as I'm interested in some of the other vaguely "organized" looking crews like Bane, and having some of the "darker" options (yes, edgy, I know) would be nice to go with the tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

FrostyPox posted:

In my ill-advised attempt to find miniatures suitable for Clan War, I am having a helluva time finding samurai with tetsubo. I can find them with every other weapon that ever existed for their use in feudal Japan, but no tetsubo. Plenty of demons and even some goblins using tetsubo, but no regular dudes. :cripes:

E: I suppose I can get a bunch with spears and greenstuff them into tetsubo :shrug:

kensei has a monk with tetsubo, and footsore previewed a samurai with a kanabo so keep an eye on them