Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

JBP posted:

What's that? 8% of PlayStation 5s have the game? Seems pretty good.

Next stop: 99% :blastu:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah this is what I was afraid of. The difficulty curve is one of many reasons why I’ve overall had a much better time with Jedi Survivor than with FF16 overall. Thought it would be the other way around originally.

The base game is really easy though. Especially if you learn all the Eikon combos that let you just delete enemies in seconds. It sounds like Final Fantasy mode just requires you to know those techniques, which is fitting since it’s the mode designed for die hard character action fans. (Granted I haven’t spun it up yet)

When you start NG+ you’re allowed to select the two base difficulty levels again if you want.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Bugblatter posted:

The base game is really easy though. Especially if you learn all the Eikon combos that let you just delete enemies in seconds. It sounds like Final Fantasy mode just requires you to know those techniques, which is fitting since it’s the mode designed for die hard character action fans. (Granted I haven’t spun it up yet)

When you start NG+ you’re allowed to select the two base difficulty levels again if you want.

I think you’re misunderstanding what I’m saying here. I know all of that. I’m saying the game swings wildly between far too easy and still easy but with big HP pools and neither is good.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
That just means combat goes on longer means you can pull off the sickest poo poo you ever did see for longer means its good, actually.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

I fired up ng+ just to see how FF mode feels and to get an idea of how it’s paced if you skip the cutscenes (it’s fast as gently caress lol)

Got to the first real boss (midnight raven) and holy poo poo it’s just so spongey. They increased the health and added a bunch of midboss enemies to all the packs leading up to it which are kind of whatever, but it looks like the legit bosses have just had their HP cranked significantly.

Took me like 5 minutes of hammering away at him before he died, even at the original level cap and with the best crafted equipment from the end of the first play through.

Think I’m gonna shelve it here, it feels like it’ll be too much of a slog even with my brokebrains trophy hunting tendencies.

You need to change up your Eikon builds. Enemies have more HP but by that point you have enough AP to mix and match and can deal absurd damage if you are comboing skills together.

Like unironically things died faster in FF than Action for me because having a full set of Eikons and knowing how to use them meant my damage output was absurd.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 28, 2023

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Once again gonna rep the idea of just unequipping your armor and potions if you want to make the game more difficult

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
Higher rank hunts when you are a lower level are fun as gently caress, i did the flan one near high cliff and it was touch and go , i had a tiny amount of health left with no potions. It ruled. It has a electric attack that one shots you :eyepop:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think you’re misunderstanding what I’m saying here. I know all of that. I’m saying the game swings wildly between far too easy and still easy but with big HP pools and neither is good.

Big HP pools that require skillful use of combos to eliminate quickly are a staple of the character action genre though? I mean maybe I’m making an unkind assumption of the other poster’s approach to combat and he is using combos and synergies well. But typically a boss in these games will take ages if you use the combo system well but evaporate if you do.

Like, my problem with the base game is I can make even the S rank hunts just disappear with a little attack planning. The footage I’ve watched of other people playing Final Fantasy mode didn’t seem to have the bosses lasting very long.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
Ia it true that if you master the r2+square/triangle abilities you can equip them to any eikon slot?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah I tried a few different setups of my favourite skills and everything still felt like it took too long to die, so I’m not gonna lose any sleep over binning it there.

AEW Fight Forever unlocks in half an hour according to the dashboard and I’m gonna be playing that for the rest of the week instead, so finishing this morning was just serendipitous timing really.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

Ia it true that if you master the r2+square/triangle abilities you can equip them to any eikon slot?

Yeah that’s the gimmick

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
The gently caress is this poo poo :eyepop:
https://twitter.com/annafunk/status/1673756222791745536?t=saaGopZKZmhE4xLwNZNsjA&s=19

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Yeah that’s the gimmick

:getin:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Terper posted:

Once again gonna rep the idea of just unequipping your armor and potions if you want to make the game more difficult

Armor? You have accessories but I never changed mine out. They’re mostly for enhancing abilities or altering your move set though. The game automatically gives you potions fairly often. I guess you can opt not to use them.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I’m pretty excited to try FF mode when I’ve had more time off the game. Bosses that require careful combos to take down quickly but with deadly ads that make it tricky to do those combos sounds like exactly what I wanted.

Yeah that’s the gimmick

Yeah, it’s pretty much necessary for higher level damage multipliers.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
July ps+

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
NICE constantly forgetting to buy Alan Wake Remastered pays off

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bugblatter posted:

Armor? You have accessories but I never changed mine out. They’re mostly for enhancing abilities or altering your move set though. The game automatically gives you potions fairly often. I guess you can opt not to use them.

The belt and bracer slots are armor.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Any classics....???? :(

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I guess if I knew how to play the game, I would be having less fun with FFXVI, if Bugblatter's posts are are anything to go by, but since I've got no clue what I'm doing I've had some hella intense as gently caress fights that really come down to the wire and I still feel like an ultimate badass pulling off the sickest poo poo ever. Game continues to completely own

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

The two slots next to your sword. And you can just put other items on the d-pad, I've unequipped my high potions and only use them when out of combat.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Oh yeah I guess I was equipping armor when I forged it, oops. I didn’t use consumables much at all. Except when I forget to switch the torgal controls because the game auto-switches the d-pad to consumables after every major cutscene!!!

Anyway, I already wasn’t using the potions and I doubt armor would have been much of a solution in the same way that the ultra hard mode in Automata wasn’t a solution. Character action is more tony hawk than dark souls, you need encounter design that requires you to pull of combinations, not that melts when you do them. You can make enemies extra lethal to add pressure on top of that, but it’s not enough on its own.

But FF mode sounds like what I want, so I guess I wish it or something similar had been available on the first run. Not only unlocked after I was a bit weary of the game. That’s all past though and it sounds like it’s gonna be fun when I do come back to it.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 28, 2023

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Fix posted:

I WANT MORE GAV

HAS ANYONE SEEN MY FRIEND GAVIN

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I just got the third set of powers (just to give a note of my point in the plot) but Clive and Gav are definitely giving each other bedroom eyes right, like I'm not the kind of person to be like "oh they definitely want to gently caress" but like, Clive has more affection for Gav than he does for literally anyone else in the plot thus far.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

Oh yeah I guess I was equipping armor when I forged it, oops. I didn’t use consumables much at all. Except when I forget to switch the torgal controls because the game auto-switches the d-pad to consumables after every major cutscene!!!

I love to whiff on my combo's Torgal spin cycle finisher five times in a row and then notice that I'm out of potions

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Best part of this game so far (desert bit) when Clive tells that guy his name and he starts laughing and making fun of him

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Escobarbarian posted:

Best part of this game so far (desert bit) when Clive tells that guy his name and he starts laughing and making fun of him

I was hoping there'd be a follow up line like, "well at least it's not something ridiculous like 'Butz'."

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I can't believe how many anime references are in final fantasy 16.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

fridge corn posted:

Any classics....???? :(

Classics are announced in the mid-month drop, not the monthly PS+ Essential drop.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Well goons I bought a Final Fantasy box. Life is good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ineffiable posted:

I can't believe how many anime references are in final fantasy 16.

I can only spot a couple but I'm convinced every hunt is a mecha ref

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
So many good characters in this game. Im post hugo and lmao every scene with the uncle owns

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just did (level 32, desert) the Titan fight and jfc that was loving incredible what on earth how can they top that!!!!!! That was so worth the long wait since the last one, insanely cool

Also loved how the music in the second phase was like orchestral/electronica nu-metal especially with those Freak on a Leash bridge vocals

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Escobarbarian posted:

Just did (level 32, desert) the Titan fight and jfc that was loving incredible what on earth how can they top that!!!!!!

The answer will make you hoot and holler

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Yeah that’s the gimmick

It feels weird, though, that this seems to mean you don't have much reason to master abilities if you plan on using their Eikon most of the time. Although I guess you can equip Phoenix and equip the mastered fire abilities to a different Eikon? Just seems a lot less useful than it oughta be, it feels like they were trying to make it like the FFV jobs.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Need to play more ffxvi

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Well think of it the other way around. Let's say there's a skill you really want to have but it's on an Eikon you don't want to use. Investing a little bit extra in that lets you put it on another one. Not having to spend points to Master for an Eikon you're planning on using is part reward and incentive to use it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I noticed that you can fully refund any skill points with no penalty, which is nice, especially when you realize a certain ability set just doesn’t work for you after you put a bunch of points into it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Dewgy posted:

I noticed that you can fully refund any skill points with no penalty, which is nice, especially when you realize a certain ability set just doesn’t work for you after you put a bunch of points into it.

It’s also because you won’t have enough AP from a single play through to master even half the skills in total, so you’re expected to be juggling them around otherwise you might lock yourself into some absolute garbage (looking at you, most of the Garuda skills)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
garuda’s skills are good workhorses even if they’re not too impressive visually. rook’s gambit will help you learn dodge timings for other skills to take advantage of down the line and the gale claws obliterate stagger meters