Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

I see you are a man of culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Seeing as the offer i got in berlin was literally 2/5 of my current cash and less equity, cant say its too bwm, even with the $15 sandwiches

The flip side of income inequality and deep and robust social support is that the income of working professionals in Europe is generally substantially lower than their counterparts in the United States

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Sundae posted:

One of my great joys in life is being stuck in a traffic jam on Hwy 101 (SF bay area, for those outside the region) behind a McLaren. You can practically hear the driver grinding down his teeth.

I'm not sure anybody has ever been unhappy in a McLaren except maybe an F1 driver who just suffered a mechanical

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

The flip side of income inequality and deep and robust social support is that the income of working professionals in Europe is generally substantially lower than their counterparts in the United States

As much as I like having fancy toys, this sounds a lot better to me than the status quo in the US.

If the cost of the rich not being so ridiculously rich and the poor not being really all that poor is that I have to budget more carefully and sacrifice some entertainment then it seems like an easy choice to make.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Yeah, I'm like 7th or 8th in line for the guillotine in this thread

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

totalnewbie posted:

As much as I like having fancy toys, this sounds a lot better to me than the status quo in the US.

If the cost of the rich not being so ridiculously rich and the poor not being really all that poor is that I have to budget more carefully and sacrifice some entertainment then it seems like an easy choice to make.

I mean... you have much better employment protections, so losing your job isn't nearly as catastrophic, plus there's a social safety net. Not to mention the universal, public healthcare, so that if you get sick (whether employed or not, independent contractor, entrepreneur, or FTE) getting sick doesn't mean losing all of your savings.

You may get paid less in strictly monetary terms, but in a lot of ways, you get more, especially when it comes to security.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Thanatosian posted:

You may get paid less in strictly monetary terms, but in a lot of ways, you get more, especially when it comes to security.

Absolutely this. Losing a job is a terrifying prospect for most of us, even if you have marketable skills.

Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

Bookchat time.

So i read this book recently and it was chock full of BWM and BWL.

quote:

Crooked: Outwitting the Back Pain Industry and Getting on the Road to Recovery

In her effort to manage her chronic back pain, investigative reporter Cathryn Jakobson Ramin spent years and a small fortune on a panoply of treatments. But her discomfort only intensified, leaving her feeling frustrated and perplexed. As she searched for better solutions, she exposed a much bigger problem. Costing roughly $100 billion a year, spine medicine—often ineffective and sometimes harmful —exemplified the worst aspects of the U.S. health care system.

https://www.amazon.com/Crooked-Outwitting-Industry-Getting-Recovery/

A single vertebral fusion or disc replacement can cost 15,000-100,000 dollars, with something like a 50% success rate (a hip replacement has ~99% success rate). Fusions often lead to issues at other discs, and artificial discs are known to crush and fail. Many patients end up in worse pain after surgery. There is a huge incentive to prioritize untested and unregulated implants over conservative treatment leading to exactly what you expect, paydays for surgeons and crippled patients.

And that's just getting started. Opioid drugs. Chiropractors. Laser probe disc treatments. Unlicensed physical therapy. Its and endless stream of BWM chasing after a cure.

This book was a huge eye opener in terms of how much money gets thrown into a pile labeled "spine treatment" and is then promptly set on fire. Would recommend.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Sepherothic posted:

Bookchat time.

So i read this book recently and it was chock full of BWM and BWL.

A single vertebral fusion or disc replacement can cost 15,000-100,000 dollars, with something like a 50% success rate (a hip replacement has ~99% success rate). Fusions often lead to issues at other discs, and artificial discs are known to crush and fail. Many patients end up in worse pain after surgery. There is a huge incentive to prioritize untested and unregulated implants over conservative treatment leading to exactly what you expect, paydays for surgeons and crippled patients.

And that's just getting started. Opioid drugs. Chiropractors. Laser probe disc treatments. Unlicensed physical therapy. Its and endless stream of BWM chasing after a cure.

This book was a huge eye opener in terms of how much money gets thrown into a pile labeled "spine treatment" and is then promptly set on fire. Would recommend.

As someone who had a spinal fusion at the age of 16 this is loving terrifying

e: To offset the self-posting probie I may get and to preserve my posting honor: I have a buddy who recently got laid off from his job at an HVAC repair company after damaging 5-figures worth of equipment. I sat down with him to try and work out a budget to keep his savings intact as long as possible while he searches for a new job. He spends $110 a month on a climbing gym, which he flagged as non-negotiable because "I've got too much energy and I'll go crazy"

Not a Children fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 12, 2019

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Not a Children posted:

As someone who had a spinal fusion at the age of 16 this is loving terrifying

e: To offset the self-posting probie I may get and to preserve my posting honor: I have a buddy who recently got laid off from his job at an HVAC repair company after damaging 5-figures worth of equipment. I sat down with him to try and work out a budget to keep his savings intact as long as possible while he searches for a new job. He spends $110 a month on a climbing gym, which he flagged as non-negotiable because "I've got too much energy and I'll go crazy"
God forbid he just go outside and run around with all that excess energy.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Not a Children posted:

"I've got too much energy and I'll go crazy"

quote:

damaging 5-figures worth of equipment.

Maybe the gym membership is the only thing keeping him from doing even more damage...

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

I know all about the 101, but really the 405 is usually a bigger nightmare, I know what parts of day I should go to the Grove and what parts of day I shouldn't, I know Rodeo is a loving joke for tourists, Los Feliz is the hipster spot and if you go farther west than Culver City you might as well not exist anymore.

I have never been to California. Los Angeles is not for me. It's weird how culture works like that.

My immediate thought on reading this was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt-tG6ufH90.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Sundae posted:

My immediate thought on reading this was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt-tG6ufH90.

Heeheeeee, my man, I was surprised when I clicked Simpsons Reference's link and it WASN'T this

Man, remember back in the 90s and early 00s when southern California was the sexy California?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Pretty sure Southern California is still the sexy California, also might be the designated sexy region of the entire country.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Is this the options trading thread? Because boy howdy is it making me bad with money

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Is this the options trading thread? Because boy howdy is it making me bad with money

:justpost:

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Tesla has not been kind to me

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

No don't

Last thing we need is someone droning on about their personal trading strategies and market opinions and how if they just hadn't caught this bad beat they'd be doing fine and

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Tesla has not been kind to me

Why would you invest in a single stock?

Why would you invest in Musk Motors?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Buy LOW sell HIGH, come on this is 101

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

It's just a temporary dip. Obviously you need to buy Buy BUY

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

Pretty sure Southern California is still the sexy California, also might be the designated sexy region of the entire country.

it's sure a hell of a lot cooler than some soulless tech park in san jose or mountain view, or the utterly insufferable startup culture of san francisco

much better food too

zocio
Nov 3, 2011
Have you heard of the HODL strategy?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

zocio posted:

Have you heard of the HODL strategy?

Hold on Dick Long

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

FrozenVent posted:

Why would you invest in a single stock?

Why would you invest in Musk Motors?

I follow wallstreetbets

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
There's a reason why "Don't touch the poop" is a thing

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

So I just realized that the stickied thread has the same initials as this one.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
... that's the joke

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
Beyond all the enraged social media posts complaining about owing 25-30k as returns are due, the one that made me laugh was the guy touting his amazing accountant for the low, low price of $1295. Plus he owed a $300 rush fee for submitting his forms late. For his W2, otherwise uncomplicated return. But it’s okay, this guy gets him alllll the deductions (By which I assume, the standard).

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

howdoesishotweb posted:

Beyond all the enraged social media posts complaining about owing 25-30k as returns are due, the one that made me laugh was the guy touting his amazing accountant for the low, low price of $1295.

This is the thread for these! :justpost:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Volmarias posted:

... that's the joke

Prove it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

How do you end up owing 40k unless you're a moron and don't periodically check the IRS calculation

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

tater_salad posted:

How do you end up owing 40k unless you're a moron

You answered it. Though I can't wrap my head around it either, so many people I know bitching about how much smaller their refunds are this year, or - gasp - they actually owe a little, completely and willfully overlooking that the money didn't go anywhere except in to their slightly larger paychecks each month. The number of people who equate tax refunds as found money and not extra money the Treasury got from them interest free is mind boggling.

True that higher income folks with expensive houses living in high income+property tax states are worse off, but those are exactly the morons who should have been paying attention. They've only been screaming in the news about that for over a year now.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

tater_salad posted:

How do you end up owing 40k unless you're a moron and don't periodically check the IRS calculation
If you are doing quarterlies, do the safe harbor for estimates, and make quite a bit more than the prior year.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Motronic posted:

I have no idea why anyone would want to commute in any kind of hardcore sports car, never mind a "supercar." That poo poo is for weekend and track driving if you're a car person who can afford the luxury.

The attention around town.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

kimbo305 posted:

The attention around town.

Most cars are dick magnets, BWM.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Nocheez posted:

Most cars are dick magnets, BWM.

but i like dick

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

but i like dick

Carry on. I only got guys in Civics and such revving me at lights, never a solicitation.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Ixian posted:

True that higher income folks with expensive houses living in high income+property tax states are worse off

For laffs, I'm just gonna trim the quote off here and drop the context of your statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
I did taxes for a few years, and the only time I saw someone get completely blindsided by a tax bill is when they took a mid 6 figure early 401(k) withdrawal. Evidently "someone" told him it was a good idea once he retired (early), and he never bothered to check about the consequences.