Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Shame Boy posted:

Yeah it's this, nobody who buys these gets them because the design makes them feel happy and safe, or even with the expectation that they'll use them for defense. These are for like, hunting foxes from horseback once a year and the rest of the time for keeping in a glass case in your mansion to show off that you can piss away money on The King's Official Gun or w/e

e: More generally, none of the guns that are decorated ornately are self-defense weapons, they're for hunting and display and stuff. Anything sold for not-hunting is very clearly coded as a utilitarian tacticool militiaboi shootymans weapon

It's a nice gun, I'll give you that...

e: well wtf that's a page snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Danaru posted:

""How the hell can somebody get away with this level of fraud, dishonesty and criminal activity — and it's the innocent that have to pay for it?" he said."

An ever expanding :ironicat: that eventually engulfs the earth

Also note that he has to pay a whopping $30,000 and supposedly made $200,000+ which he can apparently just keep and he's still fuckin' whining lmao

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Consider too how absent the management of these buildings would have to be for him to even get started on it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Shame Boy posted:

Also note that he has to pay a whopping $30,000 and supposedly made $200,000+ which he can apparently just keep and he's still fuckin' whining lmao
That quote is from the landlords. Also sadly this budding entrepreneur also has to pay 65k in legal costs.

------

quote:

"This is a recipe for the courts encouraging criminals to carry on with their nefarious activities," he said. "Other people are going to say, 'My goodness, I can do that, too. I can start doing that because I can get away with it.'"
oh no anything but that

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
The whole thing reminds me of this gem:

US employee 'outsourced job to China'
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-21043693

Except dude's outsourcing gimmick is heroic, and the other dude is just doing a 'lil bit of a slumlord cosplay.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
if housing wasn't ridiculously expensive in ontario scams like that wouldn't even get off the ground so i have no sympathy for anyone involved except the tenants that probably also got scammed

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Splicer posted:

That quote is from the landlords. Also sadly this budding entrepreneur also has to pay 65k in legal costs.

------
oh no anything but that

Everyone involved is landlords though so I'm picking the side that has incentive to over-estimate because they're probably right anyway

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Cold on a Cob posted:

if housing wasn't ridiculously expensive in ontario scams like that wouldn't even get off the ground so i have no sympathy for anyone involved except the tenants that probably also got scammed
:hmmyes:

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

zxqv8 posted:

It's a nice gun, I'll give you that...

e: well wtf that's a page snipe

And what’s up with everybody arguing about the term wetwork? It’s obviously called that because of how often you get peed on while sneaking around

cmerepaul
Nov 28, 2005
That's not chapstick!

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

i live in a tightly bound pocket dimension predicted by string theory, saves almost $50 off the rent

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Getting ready to move from my 800 square ft apartment to a 800 cubic ft house

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Imagine how many housing units you could fit on a plot if you didn't have to include "depth"!

And if renters can't fit, maybe they just need to lose some weight?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

as a landlord, is it possible to make these homes... more 2.5D? or 2D, even better. Thanks so much!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
1D slumlord. All the free real estate in a .

mr Scoop
Feb 13, 2006

Help! Someone! Cut my head off, it's trying to murder the rest of me!

Grimey Drawer

The Saddest Rhino posted:

as a landlord, is it possible to make these homes... more 2.5D? or 2D, even better. Thanks so much!

just ignore any building codes and gravity will take care of the rest

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
levels, jerry

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1334856520245407747

At least stocks are breaking all-time records! :thumbsup:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Doggles posted:

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1334856520245407747

At least stocks are breaking all-time records! :thumbsup:

thats one hell of a graph

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I looked up the 3D house and it was real disappointing, just one of those dumb 3D printed house startup scams that kinda entirely misses the point of why there's a housing shortage

Also I just realized, a 3D printed house is pretty much just a pre-manufactured house for the kind of people who wouldn't be caught dead buying things from Wal-Mart so instead they shop at Amazon

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

No no no I don't rent a trailer in a trailer park, it's a 3D Printed Agile Cloud Community as a Service

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shame Boy posted:

No no no I don't rent a trailer in a trailer park, it's a 3D Printed Agile Cloud Community as a Service

Fun fact, if you add an app to this, you can avoid all kinds of housing regulations!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

quick capitamalism 101 question

profits = revenue - operating costs right?

do operating costs include employee salary/wages?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
bro do you even EBITDA

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Mr Interweb posted:

quick capitamalism 101 question

profits = revenue - operating costs right?

do operating costs include employee salary/wages?

Not if you can hire interns and pay them in "work experience"!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

the reason i asked was, if operating costs include labor costs, then where do profits go? to the ceo and board of directors?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Mr Interweb posted:

the reason i asked was, if operating costs include labor costs, then where do profits go? to the ceo and board of directors?

some are retained, some are paid to shareholders or owners as dividends

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Cold on a Cob posted:

some are retained, some are paid to shareholders or owners as dividends

what are they retained as?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mr Interweb posted:

They can be paid out to the shareholders as dividends/buybacks, rolled back into the company for expansion/R&D, or kept as reserves in case of a rainy day.

So, really, the first one.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Mr Interweb posted:

profits

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

maybe i'm not understanding. profits are retained as..profits? do they just sit there?

edit: oh you mean they just save them for future use?

Thanatosian posted:

They can be paid out to the shareholders as dividends/buybacks, rolled back into the company for expansion/R&D, or kept as reserves in case of a rainy day.

So, really, the first one.

so when apple for example posted $60 billion in profits from last year, that means $60 billion NOT going to their employees?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Mr Interweb posted:

It's theoretically retained to be spent on capital improvements. Really it's just invested to make investment profits that aren't taxed at personal rates of the rich shareholders and then paid out to them as dividends.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Mr Interweb posted:

maybe i'm not understanding. profits are retained as..profits? do they just sit there?

edit: oh you mean they just save them for future use?

so when apple for example posted $60 billion in profits from last year, that means $60 billion NOT going to their employees?

If the company is actually showing a profit on the books then the goes into the shareholder equity section of the financial statement. Those can then be kept as "retained earnings" if they wish to use it. They can also pay it out as a dividend or be used to buyback stock.

Which is why increasing wages generally hurts shareholders the most since there is less shareholder equity to tap into.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Mr Interweb posted:

that's capitalism!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mr Interweb posted:

Well, any employees that get stock options get a piece of that. Obviously, very, very heavily weighted towards the executives and upper management.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

Remember how Apple has like $160 billion in money just sitting in a bank account overseas that they were whining about "well if you just let us bring it back tax free we'll totally do stock buybacks invest it and Create More Jobs!!!"? They do that with it. They stick it in a bank account overseas, where it can't be taxed, and then sit on it like a bitchy dragon claiming you're forcing them to do this.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Weren't there a bunch of corporations that shoved all their profits back into shareholders and other scum and then struggled because they had nothing saved for when things went bad?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Weren't there a bunch of corporations that shoved all their profits back into shareholders and other scum and then struggled because they had nothing saved for when things went bad?

I'm sure there's tons but I think the one you're specifically thinking of is "every single airline", cuz they were all doing stock buybacks of like $60 bn last year, then this year begging for a bailout of, conveniently, $60 bn.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
that’s all corporations.

Weirdly enough Nintendo has a lot of on hand money for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
You and two other people make a thing and sell it for $5. It cost $1 in materials to make and pays $1 in labor each of you.

The $1 you have left over is profit. You can either reinvest it on making more things to sell, sit on it like a rainy day fund, or split it up and pay it to everyone, either as more wages or as a dividend to the people who "own" the group (in this case, yourselves).

That's the five year old version of it, more or less. But yes, profit is money not being paid to the people who actually do things, and you can make more profit by paying people less.