Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

If your creative decisions are chosen because the alternative is too hard, you may not belong in a creative field.

lol yeah, Paul Feig is in the wrong line of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Did you really make this or are you linking it cause it's funny?

I'm gonna assume no, you actually made it. In which case, haha.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Ernie Hudson's weighed in:

quote:

If it has nothing to do with the other two movies, and it's all female, then why are you calling it Ghostbusters? I love females. I hope that if they go that way, at least they'll be funny, and if they're not funny at least hopefully it'll be sexy. I love the idea of including women, I think that's great. But all-female, I think, would be a bad idea. I don't think the fans want to see that...Maybe it will come out and be the most amazing thing, but in my opinion I think it would be wrong to do another movie that didn't include the guys. And that didn't include me!

drat straight. No Winston, no Ghostbusters. :colbert:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I wonder if Gozer will be a man?

I mean, it'll be whatever it wants to be...

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I'm hoping for a gender-reversed shot for shot remake myself......

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Ernie Hudson's weighed in:

drat straight. No Winston, no Ghostbusters. :colbert:
I love how transparent this is. It quickly goes from "THE PURITY OF GHOSTBUSTERS" to "If I'm not getting paid, why are you doing this!?"

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Can't say I blame him. Dude always deserved better than he got, career wise, and GB3 was probably his last shot at the big time.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I, on the other hand, am pleased by the concept of a full on reboot, if the cast has the chemistry. Murray's heart wouldn't be in it and I don't think Dan/Ernie could carry it by themselves.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

echoplex posted:

I, on the other hand, am pleased by the concept of a full on reboot, if the cast has the chemistry. Murray's heart wouldn't be in it and I don't think Dan/Ernie could carry it by themselves.

This. Entirely.

There was a less-than-zero percent chance of a third Ghostbusters being any good. If they're going to make a new one they may as well put it in competent hands and let them do whatever.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I'd be full on delighted if they did something completely fresh and new and didn't weigh it down with throwbacks/references/cameos etc.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

They had their chance at putting it in extremely talented hands with Lord and Miller but they left because the script they had to work from was loving awful, so what is it about this project that means they can throw that out and start from scratch except the gimmicky allure of all women?

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

PriorMarcus posted:

They had their chance at putting it in extremely talented hands with Lord and Miller but they left because the script they had to work from was loving awful, so what is it about this project that means they can throw that out and start from scratch except the gimmicky allure of all women?

Amy Pascal would be my guess.

You do bring up a really good point with Lord and Miller though, if you're willing to scrap a script that has been in development for (technically) over 15 years for the simplest of pitches why wouldn't you bend on letting two of the proven "this product has no right to be good but look at our loving magic" people on the planet take a shot at it? Maybe Feig is confident he can hit a release date? Maybe Feig comes with star power attached? Maybe Feig is a great cuddler? We'll never know.

Someone in the middle ages of this bible of a thread mentioned that a documentary or a book on the making of Ghostbusters III would be amazing and the more that happens with its "development" the more I'm in agreement. Some truly stupendous poo poo must be going on behind the scenes with this property.

Soulwrangler fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 10, 2014

Jason Funk
Dec 23, 2007

by XyloJW

cams posted:

Did you really make this or are you linking it cause it's funny?

I'm gonna assume no, you actually made it. In which case, haha.

I'm waiting for someone to cry sexism

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fine, I'll say it. Sexism!

"Bridesmaids with ghosts", jesus christ.

loving cackling hens, no one wants to see that, am I rite

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Oct 10, 2014

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Data Graham posted:

Fine, I'll say it. Sexism!

"Bridesmaids with ghosts", jesus christ.

loving cackling hens, no one wants to see that, am I rite

Cackling hens that don't acknowledge what happened in the 80s.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The dude DID make Freaks and Geeks, though.

Edit: obviously he doesn't give a drat about his reputation.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I love Ghostbusters. Maybe I'm just a sucker, but I'm excited by the idea of more Ghostbusters even if it is a reboot. Yes, it's very unlikely to be able to recapture what made the first one great, but that would be true no matter who was involved in making it. If it works out, I'll be thrilled. If it doesn't, I still have the first two movies to enjoy.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Maybe I'm crazy, but I at least like to see talented people get work. :shobon:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The dude DID make Freaks and Geeks, though.

Edit: obviously he doesn't give a drat about his reputation.

And a far better choice than Apatow.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

They should get J Michael Straczinski to write the film.

That Doomsday Door would be a great plot.

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!
I am amazed at the negativity in this thread.

I am still skeptical that this movie will actually happen, because Ghostbusters and movies that actually happen seem to be like oil and water. But this remains my favorite scenario to come up for a new GB movie of allll the scenarios that have ever come to light.

Perhaps Ernie Hudson is right and we're drifting so far away from GB that it shouldn't be called GB, but, you know what… this is the reality of Hollywood today, they want to use old IP as much as possible. Personally, if I were Feig, I would want to get away from the _plot_ of the original film as much as possible—to establish some new ground, but I would get greedy and want to keep as many of the _trappings_ — logo, uniforms, theme song, New York, fire house. But that's me, I guess I'm just a fan-ficcer at heart. Haaaaaa.

I'm not some blinded fanboy who likes anything they slap my favorite logo on. I'm as big a Star Wars fan as I am a Ghostbusters fan and I can't work up any interest in JJ Abrams' Episode VII at all.

This… this interests me.

Just, for the love of God, keep Melissa McCarthy out of it.

Jason Funk
Dec 23, 2007

by XyloJW

Icon-Cat posted:

Just, for the love of God, keep Melissa McCarthy out of it.

You know drat well that her and wiig don't even have to audition.

I really don't want to see "girls fart too! vibrators and drinking! also ghosts", because that's what I assume this dude's movies are entirely made of

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!
Wiig I wouldn't mind. I saw "The Skeleton Twins" just this week and I thought she and Bill Hader acquitted themselves quite well as dramatic actors. She can do it all. Not my personal choice but hey.

I've simply never seen McCarthy in a role that asked her to be something other than "merry rascal with admirable self-confidence and poor sense of social norms". I can do without seeing such a character as a Ghostbuster.

(This is where someone might ask me, hey Adam, what about the fact that Aykroyd initially thought of the film as a John Belushi movie, didn't he play merry rascals—yes, well, I'm glad we got what we got and not that, so what of it.)

Icon-Cat fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 10, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

We all should remember that the original idea was Ghostbusters in space, just as one franchise competing with others, and Dana was an alien.

This'll be at least better than that.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

We all should remember that the original idea was Ghostbusters in space, just as one franchise competing with others, and Dana was an alien.

This'll be at least better than that.

So we will be getting a remake of a remake

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Parlett316 posted:

So we will be getting a remake of a remake

No, that's not how that works.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

No, that's not how that works.

Maybe it ought to be three chicks in space fighting a space alien played by Dan Aykroyd. Jim Belushi and Eddie Murphy can have cameo appearances.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Parlett316 posted:

Jim Belushi and Eddie Murphy can have cameo appearances.

Truly, two killers of comedy.

Jason Funk
Dec 23, 2007

by XyloJW
I want an all male Sailor Moon reboot. It's only fair.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jason Funk posted:

And why isn't there a white history month?

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jason Funk posted:

Where is my Steel Magnolias remake starring Dolph Lundren

Jason Funk
Dec 23, 2007

by XyloJW

computer parts posted:

And why isn't there a white history month?

Yea... Wait, that's different. We're talking about genderswapping beloved childhood franchises

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jason Funk posted:

Yea... Wait, that's different. We're talking about genderswapping beloved childhood franchises

And why isn't there a White Dynamite movie?

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Ray calling Slimer a revolting blob offends the truly revolting blobs.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Jason Funk posted:

I really don't want to see "girls fart too! vibrators and drinking! also ghosts", because that's what I assume this dude's movies are entirely made of
Just stop.

umalt posted:

Maybe I'm crazy, but I at least like to see talented people get work. :shobon:
This is where I'm at. I have accepted that remakes/reboots are the new standard because they make money. It's just the way it is, it's where producers are gonna throw their piles of cash to magically transform them into bigger piles of cash. And if it's what's gonna happen, we could do a LOT worse than a female-lead reboot of Ghostbusters written by Paul Feig and Katie Dippold. There are so many funny ladies out there, I support them getting a paycheck and some more exposure.

Really the only part that's been brought up in this thread that I'd worry about is casting Melissa McCarthy. This is only because she is such a charismatic, energetic screen presence that it could end up being "The Melissa McCarthy Show" in a way that detracts from the movie. Bill Murray stole the Ghostbusters movies, but he did it with a rather subdued and subtle performance. But then again, she is an actress and can do other things than the act we've seen her do most of the time. It's all in the execution. I'd just be wary of McCarthy playing a character too similar to her previous prominent roles.

I'd like to see odds laid on the final four cast. I'd say Kristen Wiig and McCarthy are the favorites with Amy Poehler in third. Those are the ones I'd put money on as safe bets, everyone else is iffy and depend on the rest of the cast. Her name has been thrown about in a few spots but Lauren Lapkus is one of my favorite funny ladies at the moments and I'd love to see her get in this.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

LesterGroans posted:

This. Entirely.

There was a less-than-zero percent chance of a third Ghostbusters being any good. If they're going to make a new one they may as well put it in competent hands and let them do whatever.

Competent hands from the guy who brought you Bridesmaids and The Heat and who thinks Melissa McCarthy is hilarious.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

zVxTeflon posted:

Competent hands from the guy who brought you Bridesmaids and The Heat and who thinks Melissa McCarthy is hilarious.
These movies were very well received and many people think Melissa McCarthy is hilarious. But other than those things, great point.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Give me a list of reboot/remakes that were good

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Parlett316 posted:

Give me a list of reboot/remakes that were good

Give me a list of good sequels that were more than a decade from the previous film in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

computer parts posted:

Give me a list of good sequels that were more than a decade from the previous film in the series.

Rocky Balboa. Now answer my question.

• Locked thread