Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The girl that killed the dinosaur with gymnastics owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cnut the Great posted:

The website says the gyrospheres have a built-in system that automatically rolls you away from the dinosaurs if you get too close. I can't remember if it's mentioned in the movie, though.

Does the website also say the movie was good?

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
The best part of Jurassic Park 2 is that everyone who made it watched Jurassic Park and correctly realized they needed way more Goldbloom.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Steve2911 posted:

Does the website also say the movie was good?

this is weak, man

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Cnut the Great posted:

The website says the gyrospheres have a built-in system that automatically rolls you away from the dinosaurs if you get too close. I can't remember if it's mentioned in the movie, though.

Yeah the movie never mentions it at all, particularly since when they're 'safe' they're rolling right by some dinosaurs. It's just a small touch really, but it's a dumb thing that's so easily avoidable. My other favourite moment is "Do you still have those matches?", because it's so completely out of nowhere that I can only presume there was an earlier moment that was cut.

I was enjoying myself right up until it just made increasingly dumb decisions and as much as I appreciate a good kill scene, that one death is so incredibly mean spirited and unearned that it put me right off.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
More reviews from Paleontologists around the globe
http://www.livescience.com/51213-jurassic-world-expert-reviews.html

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Also I'm hoping I wasn't alone in laughing when The raptor and chris pratt are having a moment and then its cut off by a slow moving rocket that blows the raptor up?

I feel like my group were the only people in the theater that found it funny.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Evil D'Onofrio says 'kill the rogues and preserve loyal bloodlines' - which exactly what the heroes do at the end.

Also at the end of the movie: the autistic kid counts all the dinosaurs' teeth and says "we need more teeth!" That weird, forced line is a direct callback to earlier in the film, when Chastain says "consumers want them bigger, louder - more teeth."

The joke's on you if you were psyched about the Spinosaurus skeleton getting desecrated as fanservice.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Saw this movie tonight, it was ok. Liked it more than the third film, not sure about the second. The petting zoo was pretty much the best thing in the whole movie, holy poo poo just give me 2 hours of baby triceratops' rolling around omg
I really didn't like Pratt's character since he was a one-dimensional perfect superhero but I think I'm in the minority there, considering I also thought the kids were pretty cool and they had some actual character development. The command room team were also great but the villain In-gen guy sucked rear end and I don't even remember what his name was.
Weirdly, the first thing to take me out of the movie was the baby I-rex using its claws to get out of it's shell :shrug:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Cute theater moment: right after the I-Rex first escapes and eats the Fat Dude, there's a lul where the audience is completely silent. After a pause that you couldn't have done intentionally if you tried, a little kid excitedly says to his mom "That was SCARY!"

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 16, 2015

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Evil D'Onofrio says 'kill the rogues and preserve loyal bloodlines' - which exactly what the heroes do at the end.
This isn't exactly your A-game.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I'm also disappointed we didn't get more baby dinosaurs.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cnut the Great posted:

I think he's talking more about the fact that they roll out of the Gyrosphere enclosure through a hole in the wall that the I-Rex made. Apparently the system is smart enough to stop them from getting too close to the animals but not the massive wall the surrounds the whole area and out of the perimeter.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sire Oblivion posted:

I think he's talking more about the fact that they roll out of the Gyrosphere enclosure through a hole in the wall that the I-Rex made. Apparently the system is smart enough to stop them from getting too close to the animals but not the massive wall the surrounds the whole area and out of the perimeter.

Those things not having an automatic "go-back-home" option in case they need to shut the ride is beyond loving stupid.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Octolady posted:

Weirdly, the first thing to take me out of the movie was the baby I-rex using its claws to get out of it's shell :shrug:

Yeah, that probably bugged me more than anything else.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Those things not having an automatic "go-back-home" option in case they need to shut the ride is beyond loving stupid.

Because Jurassic World, the park, was and will always be a bad idea that will gently caress up.

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot
this movie was almost as good as JP III imo

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I thought a raptor getting killed by gymnastics was the dumbest poo poo ever when I saw the lost world in the theater when I was like 12. The movie is pretty decent up until that point, though. After that it's all just downhill. Also how did the T-rex eat everyone on the boat? Did it shrink down and go into everyone's cabins?

That said, yeah, the gyrospheres are probably dumber than a girl killing a raptor with gymnastics, yeah.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Gammatron 64 posted:

I thought a raptor getting killed by gymnastics was the dumbest poo poo ever when I saw the lost world in the theater when I was like 12. The movie is pretty decent up until that point, though. After that it's all just downhill. Also how did the T-rex eat everyone on the boat? Did it shrink down and go into everyone's cabins?

That said, yeah, the gyrospheres are probably dumber than a girl killing a raptor with gymnastics, yeah.

Not really. I mean I'm not a fan of the gyro spheres either but if you look at what Disneyland did in the 1960s with ride technology and that Jurassic Park was always billed as having futuristic and cutting edge rides in both the novel and movie it would make sense that the engineers would design a super safe transport that guests can tour the park in.

Disney over the years have drawn up similar ideas to the gyro spheres like this ride that they proposed to replace Peoplemover at Disneyland:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I wanted so much more out of the "actual working Jurassic Park" concept, and really only the pteranadon escape pays that off in any meanigful way. It felt like a waste of having an open park to only use it for one cool sequence. I mean, I get it. It's easier to stage things without hundreds of extras, but man, that's a disappointment.

The kids were awful. I wanted them to get eaten, which I am sure is not the emotion they wanted me to feel towards them. I don't mind Malcom's daughter in The Lost World that much, and I really like Tim and Lex. So, these dudes rank about the same as "kid who figured out T-Rex pee scares away certain dinos" from Jurassic Park III.

One thing I really did like though was Book Dr. Wu making an apperance. The ignorance of InGen is a theme of the movies, but the outright arrogance of InGen is mostly in the books. I know that people bitch about the I Rex being a concept from a SyFy movie, but in the books, Wu was pretty much already developing splices of creatures to further his science, so it's not all that far fetched (in terms of the franchise internal consistancy, that is) I am sad that Wu didn't have a tiny elephant in one of those glass cases they find at the end

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The tiny elephant story is my favorite part of either book.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I wanted so much more out of the "actual working Jurassic Park" concept, and really only the pteranadon escape pays that off in any meanigful way. It felt like a waste of having an open park to only use it for one cool sequence. I mean, I get it. It's easier to stage things without hundreds of extras, but man, that's a disappointment.

The kids were awful. I wanted them to get eaten, which I am sure is not the emotion they wanted me to feel towards them. I don't mind Malcom's daughter in The Lost World that much, and I really like Tim and Lex. So, these dudes rank about the same as "kid who figured out T-Rex pee scares away certain dinos" from Jurassic Park III.

One thing I really did like though was Book Dr. Wu making an apperance. The ignorance of InGen is a theme of the movies, but the outright arrogance of InGen is mostly in the books. I know that people bitch about the I Rex being a concept from a SyFy movie, but in the books, Wu was pretty much already developing splices of creatures to further his science, so it's not all that far fetched (in terms of the franchise internal consistancy, that is) I am sad that Wu didn't have a tiny elephant in one of those glass cases they find at the end

Book Dr.Wu isn't really evil though he's just ambitious. In the movie they made him more of a bad guy like Peter Ludlow or that android from the first ALIEN movie. He was never like that and I kinda hope they retcon/smooth that over in an eventual sequel.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Book Dr.Wu isn't really evil though he's just ambitious. In the movie they made him more of a bad guy like Peter Ludlow or that android from the first ALIEN movie. He was never like that and I kinda hope they retcon/smooth that over in an eventual sequel.

Christ it's 22 loving years later maybe the character's motivation is allowed to loving change in 20 years in a followup story

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Because Jurassic World, the park, was and will always be a bad idea that will gently caress up.
Look scientific progress often involves trial and error, I'm sure by the third time they'll realize "Okay lets not gently caress with God too much, nor listen to investors who are being babies that there mountains of money aren't 10 inches higher, and also pin all the blame on the shadowy PMC that this company owns"

ruby idiot railed posted:

Christ it's 22 loving years later maybe the character's motivation is allowed to loving change in 20 years in a followup story
I can believe that really he's just pissed that his work is being used for a tacky zoo resort.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

iSheep posted:

Also I'm hoping I wasn't alone in laughing when The raptor and chris pratt are having a moment and then its cut off by a slow moving rocket that blows the raptor up?

I feel like my group were the only people in the theater that found it funny.
A lot of my theatre at my showing (me included) laughed at the iRex trying to eat the gyrosphere.

CelticPredator posted:

But it wasn't, this was the first Dino-related accident at the park and it had been open for at least a decade. That's a better safety record than many real life amusement parks.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
This movie gave me a very Godzilla feeling to it as I watched it. And not just the fight between the I-Rex and the T-Rex, although I did honestly expect nuclear fire to come out of the latter's mouth at one point but how they have this top secret project involving a creature that they really can't control.

Also, speaking of Godzilla and regarding the fight at the end- The I-Rex and the T-Rex both seem to reference different interpretations of Godzilla. The I-Rex draws from the 1954 film, where man plays God and Nature fights back. All of the actions of the I-Rex are directly because of the people in charge, be it the creature's genetic makeup or how not telling Chris Pratt and co about it being half Raptor caused tons of problems.

By contrast, the T-Rex draws from the "avatar of nature" that other films and especially the 2014 film emphasizes. True, she's technically a lab creation as well but she's more or less "pure" and independent (though restrained until the very end of the film). The last shot is her emphasizing the dominion of nature over those that would threaten it, be they man or monster.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Xenomrph posted:

But it wasn't, this was the first Dino-related accident at the park and it had been open for at least a decade. That's a better safety record than many real life amusement parks.

But when Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Just awful. That film had terrible script problems.

The entire time I was wondering how this was the best they could do with a jurassic world script in tyool 2015.

Keep the hideous product placement and groan inducing throw backs: you give any competent screenwriter that premise and they have something better than that in like a latte and a half.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Harald posted:

This isn't exactly your A-game.

It's accurate.

JP/// featured the Spinosaurus as a brutal killer animal, but ended with the heroes chasing him away and then asking the raptors for forgiveness. In this film, Blue - who can obviously communicate with the iRex - is given a choice between killing US or HER. The idea of a third option (where he talks her down or something) is never even considered. And why not?

iRex is not a mindless killing machine. She understands what a helicopter is, and lures it towards the aviary as part of an elaborate plan to destroy the thing - so surely she can understand a basic concept like 'forgiveness', or just 'these pink things are raptors too'.

Instead, the name of the game is brutal crowdpleasing vengeance for the death of an unrelated animal that had like three minutes of screentime in an entirely different film. And this affiliation is based purely on species.

When Wu says nothing in the park is natural, he's performing a sort of basic ideological critique - up to and including Pratt's personal philosophy, based on obsolete, unscientific stuff about 'Alphas'.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

effectual posted:

But when Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists!
Look when three astronauts died a horrible flaming death in the Apollo I disaster we didn't just decide "Welp I guess we should give up that whole going to the moon thing, gently caress what JFK said"

Science is about trial and error and if a few workers get eaten its sad but I'm sure the families can be compensated.

God I'm a heartless person when it comes to the prospect of having people challenge the idea that a dinosaur zoo/resort is awful/dangerous.

FizFashizzle posted:

The entire time I was wondering how this was the best they could do with a jurassic world script in tyool 2015.

Keep the hideous product placement and groan inducing throw backs: you give any competent screenwriter that premise and they have something better than that in like a latte and a half.
I do have a feeling that this was the result of the years of developmental hell that this movie went through for over a decade.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

achillesforever6 posted:

Look when three astronauts died a horrible flaming death in the Apollo I disaster we didn't just decide "Welp I guess we should give up that whole going to the moon thing, gently caress what JFK said"

Science is about trial and error and if a few workers get eaten its sad but I'm sure the families can be compensated.

God I'm a heartless person when it comes to the prospect of having people challenge the idea that a dinosaur zoo/resort is awful/dangerous.
I'm right there with you, dinosaur zoo buddy. If a couple children have to be disemboweled by a velociraptor every few years so that the rest of the world can have a :krad: dinosaur theme park, then that's a price I pay gladly. :colbert:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

If I need to charge said park a couple million for six months of liability insurance coverage so that people can experience that RAD theme park, and that cost gets passed down to the customer through absurd ticket prices, I am personally good with that also.

But I do want my insurance company logo on at least some of the cars, and maybe also on a hotel.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jurassic Park is an obviously great idea. It falls apart because it makes for a more thrilling story.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Yeah, if this was a real park they wouldn't make the most dangerous hybrid possible first. Knowing how zoos work they'd want something small and cute they could advertise as a baby.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sir Kodiak posted:

Jurassic Park is an obviously great idea. It falls apart because it makes for a more thrilling story.
Well yeah.

I also really, really want to hug a baby dinosaur.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
"Playing God" is simply doing something new and exciting. The inventor of the refrigerator was accused of playing God because his device could create ice outside the winter season.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
Wait are all the dinosaurs in JW female? That wasn't said in the film and I assumed that was something they realized didn't work the first time.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Wait are all the dinosaurs in JW female? That wasn't said in the film and I assumed that was something they realized didn't work the first time.

They called them all 'she', I assume they kept it up and just trimmed out the gender-switching genetics. I-Rex and her dead sister and the raptors were definitely all female.

There's a nice little bit where we see early in the movie Owen clarifying that Blue's definitely female, but one of the last things Vincent D'Onofrio says when he's begging the raptor for his life is to call her 'boy'. Because he wasn't even paying the least bit of attention.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 17, 2015

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

FizFashizzle posted:

The script is perfectly serviceable/salvageable. The film is just extremely badly directed.

Basic example: the two kids are riding the monorail. Autistic Kid says he's afraid of his parents' impending divorce. Older Kid, cruelly, tells him to grow up.

Immediately after this exchange, Autistic Kid turns and sees something in the corner of his eye: a speck in the distance. It's the park security, rushing to some emergency. The next couple shots are of their jeeps driving past the various exhibits - and this all leads to the scene where the security guys get killed by the iRex.

On paper, the meaning is straightforward: being told that nobody will help him, the Autistic Kid's illusion of the happy park shatters. He sees through the beautiful facade, to the ugly machinery underneath. Meanwhile, the security guys are struggling to maintain that facade for kids like him.

So the script is psychological: it is (on one side) about a kid struggling to deal with his parents' divorce, and (on the other) about the corporation trying desperately - and failing - to placate him.

In practice, though, there is absolutely nothing about this sequence that captures the kid's feelings. The jeeps do not appear as some obscene intrusion, and the kids don't seem to occupy their own illusory consumer wonderland. The whole scene lands with a plop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
This was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

It's dinosaurs hunting people, how do you gently caress up to the point that it's worse than JP3?

• Locked thread