Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

UK MT May 2015: Many Dicks, Only One Election

E: 15th April 1993 - Leslie Charteris, creator of The Saint, passes away.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Disinterested posted:

If George Galloway is not an anti-semite then he is certainly happy to create the impression that he is.

I think he's a total prick. But I'm not seeing any sources on this anti-Semitism.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Fluo posted:

I think he's a total prick. But I'm not seeing any sources on this anti-Semitism.

I edited my previous post. The anti-semites with whom Galloway has expressed solidarity on the subject of Israel include such luminary figures as Saddam Hussein and Assad.

George Galloway is a great example of how some ersatz leftists are so desperate for a multi-polar world not dominated by the US that they will stoop to any level for an alternative to the US.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I like Oberleutnant's suggestion from last month:
UKMT May '15: Bourgeois Democracy is the Calpol of the Masses

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I'm definitely not an anti-semite! *wink* *cheeky grin* *sly nod*
-George Galloway

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

I like Oberleutnant's suggestion from last month:
UKMT May '15: Bourgeois Democracy is the Calpol of the Masses

I forgot I said this. Let's have this.
it'll momentarily satisfy my desperate and insatiable appetite for attention and validation.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

LemonDrizzle posted:

The Lib Dem and UKIP manifestos are being launched today. Are you excited? I'm excited. UKIP are apparently pledging to cap the number of immigrants to the UK at 50k/year. Here's a list of the promises in the 2010 Lib Dem manifesto and the extent to which they were fulfilled. Many instances of 'promise not met' in there.

To be fair, I would take making forced marriage illegal over not creating any new criminal offences at all. Rather weird thing for the Guardian to be picking to criticise that broken promise.

e: Lib Dem manifesto now out. At 160 pages, it's twice the size of the other two parties'.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Apr 15, 2015

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Tintower

Fluo posted:

Please back up your claim.

Disinterested posted:

I edited my previous post. The anti-semites with whom Galloway has expressed solidarity on the subject of Israel include such luminary figures as Saddam Hussein and Assad.

Don't forget Iran.

I think his logic is going a different way though as I haven't heard him say or do anything Anti-Semitic. For example Chomsky and Finkelstein talked against Israel invading Iran and some actions could be read as supporting Iran and such. Saddam Hussein was allies with us for a long time [sidenote: Project Babylon]. Assad/Syria I don't even want to touch with a barge pole. It's almost as complex as the Israel/Palestine argument which normally ends up with pro palestine and pro israel talking over each other with islamophobe and anti-semite shouted at each other before a mod closed the 600th I/P thread lol.

Syria is hosed up though, Assad killing his own people, but if he falls theres the whole ISIS invite opening up among 100s of other scenarios where it'd be worst or just as bad. I think Galloway is a total poo poo but I'm not seeing where anti-Semitism is here which wouldn't make alot of anti-zionist jews become 'self hating jews'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3XXeIa8rC4&t=66s

Fluo fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Apr 15, 2015

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TinTower posted:

To be fair, I would take making forced marriage illegal over not creating any new criminal offences at all. Rather weird thing for the Guardian to be picking to criticise that broken promise.
I'm guessing the spirit of the thing was that the previous Labour government relished in making an offense/prohibition out of anything and everything and they wanted to create a clear alternative, so yeah, I'm not really seeing banning something like forced marriage as contrary to that spirit.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
We can at least all agree that Galloway is terrible

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm resubmitting my thread title idea:

UKMT May '15: Nobody's Making Plans for Nigel

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Fluo posted:

Don't forget Iran.

I think his logic is going a different way though as I haven't heard him say or do anything Anti-Semitic. For example Chomsky and Finkelstein talked against Israel invading Iran and some actions could be read as supporting Iran and such. Saddam Hussein was allies with us for a long time [sidenote: Project Babylon]. Assad/Syria I don't even want to touch with a barge pole. It's almost as complex as the Israel/Palestine argument which normally ends up with pro palestine and pro israel talking over each other with islamophobe and anti-semite shouted at each other before a mod closed the 600th I/P thread lol.

Syria is hosed up though, Assad killing his own people, but if he falls theres the whole ISIS invite opening up among 100s of other scenarios where it'd be worst or just as bad. I think Galloway is a total poo poo but I'm not seeing where anti-Semitism is here which wouldn't make alot of anti-zionist jews become 'self hating jews'.

I'm pretty sure if you express solidarity with the view that Israel should be wholly destroyed at the hands of open anti-semites you pretty much are an anti-semite regardless of the geo-politics. As for Anti-Zionist Jews, quite a few like Chomsky don't cross that line, their arguments are much more refined than Galloway's. It's not simply the case that Galloway is against Israel bombing Iran and his support for those regimes is by implication only.

There are Jewish extremists who desire the destruction of Israel by any agent that's willing because they regard it as desirable on religious grounds, but that's more of an apocalyptic religious tendency.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Disinterested posted:

I'm pretty sure if you express solidarity with the view that Israel should be wholly destroyed at the hands of open anti-semites you pretty much are an anti-semite regardless of the geo-politics.

Remember that when it came to a vote in the House of Commons, Galloway abstained on recognising Palestine as he'd rather that happen to Israel.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

https://twitter.com/RTaylorUK/status/587709880909299712

Look guys, it's not like the Tories want to stigmatise mental illness, they just want you to wear this wristband so that the police line you up against the wall in an orderly fashion.

TinTower posted:

Remember that when it came to a vote in the House of Commons, Galloway abstained on recognising Palestine as he'd rather that happen to Israel.

Galloway's also on record denying that gay people are persecuted in Iran. All-round great guy!

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Disinterested posted:

I'm pretty sure if you express solidarity with the view that Israel should be wholly destroyed at the hands of open anti-semites you pretty much are an anti-semite regardless of the geo-politics.
Source your quote, as I've had this debate a handful of times where magically it wasn't the whole quote. Where with the whole quote it was very understandable the person was talking about dismantling the State of Israel and not Shadow Government style Nuking. Sidenote: I'm not trying to defend Galloway I find the causal use of anti-Semitism extremely hosed up.

Disinterested posted:

As for Anti-Zionist Jews, quite a few like Chomsky don't cross that line, their arguments are much more refined than Galloway's. It's not simply the case that Galloway is against Israel bombing Iran and his support for those regimes is by implication only.

There are Jewish extremists who desire the destruction of Israel by any agent that's willing because they regard it as desirable on religious grounds, but that's more of an apocalyptic religious tendency.

Galloway is a total prat, I'm just not seeing any evidence though. Also it's not so much Jewish extremist (even though there is some) more so the Born Again Christians and the extremely weird Jews for Jesus. As they believe the rapture will come and the second coming of Christ to take them all up to heaven.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Disinterested posted:

Galloway's also on record denying that gay people are persecuted in Iran. All-round great guy!

That's a Respect thing rather than a Galloway thing; there was a guy who stood up at NUS LGBT Conference in 2008 and claimed that people in Iran have the freedom to get sex reassignment surgery. Which, while it is strictly true that you can get SRS in Iran, most people who do are forced into it so the Ayatollah can claim there are no gay people in Iran.

Also, Galloway's on record of accusing Israel of supplying chemical weapons to Al-Qaeda in Syria and engineering the Ukraine crisis. Even among anti-Zionists, he's a massive extremist.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 15, 2015

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Disinterested posted:

Look guys, it's not like the Tories want to stigmatise mental illness, they just want you to wear this wristband so that the police line you up against the wall in an orderly fashion.

A similar policy has been trialled before. :ironicat:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

TinTower posted:

Also, Galloway's on record of accusing Israel of supplying chemical weapons to Al-Qaeda in Syria and engineering the Ukraine crisis. Even among anti-Zionists, he's a massive extremist.

I can't seem to be clicking any of these words Tintower, hyperlink seems broke?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

TinTower posted:

That's a Respect thing rather than a Galloway thing; there was a guy who stood up at NUS LGBT Conference in 2008 and claimed that people in Iran have the freedom to get sex reassignment surgery. Which, while it is strictly true that you can get SRS in Iran, most people who do are forced into it so the Ayatollah can claim there are no gay people in Iran.

No Galloway repeats the lie that the regime gives that Iranian executions of gay people are only for sex crimes and not to do with their sexual orientation despite documentary evidence to the contrary.

Fluo posted:

Galloway is a total prat, I'm just not seeing any evidence though. Also it's not so much Jewish extremist (even though there is some) more so the Born Again Christians and the extremely weird Jews for Jesus. As they believe the rapture will come and the second coming of Christ to take them all up to heaven.

Yes it is a Jewish extremist tendency. A lot of the original anti-zionist tendency before Israel was even founded was from certain fundamentalist Jewish sects. Evangelicals are in the game too these days, though some of them manifest it instead by wanting all Jews to be in Israel (so are instead ultra-zionist) so that the end of the world can come.

Fluo posted:

Galloway is a total prat, I'm just not seeing any evidence though.

Well, first, what would satisfy you apart from Galloway openly caught saying 'dirty Jews'? What's your threshold for anti-semitism? For example, is this too low a bar?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Fluo posted:

I can't seem to be clicking any of these words Tintower, hyperlink seems broke?

Google is your friend. But have this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPzvy808pr8 video if you like?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Disinterested posted:

No Galloway repeats the lie that the regime gives that Iranian executions of gay people are only for sex crimes and not to do with their sexual orientation despite documentary evidence to the contrary.

Disinterested posted:

Yes it is a Jewish extremist tendency. A lot of the original anti-zionist tendency before Israel was even founded was from certain fundamentalist Jewish sects. Evangelicals are in the game too these days, though some of them manifest it instead by wanting all Jews to be in Israel (so are instead ultra-zionist) so that the end of the world can come.

Disinterested posted:

Well, first, what would satisfy you apart from Galloway openly caught saying 'dirty Jews'? What's your threshold for anti-semitism? For example, is this too low a bar?

I don't follow Galloway so some link would be great :thumbsup:

Last time I've heard anything from him was Newsnight when there was that by election.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Disinterested posted:

Google is your friend. But have this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPzvy808pr8 video if you like?

Corporations aren't your friends bro!

How does this man get elected :cripes:

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

That speed edit though.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Disinterested posted:

That speed edit though.

Learnt it from the best :buddy:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Disinterested posted:

Yeah, that bloke at NUS LGBT Conference was a Respect member. To his credit, he has grown up since.

Of course, Respect's support for LGBT rights has always been lukewarm. I believe they dropped their policy before the 2005 election to ensure that Galloway could win his seat in Bethnal Green and Bow.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Well on Gay Rights one could consider:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou1es7fNTpk

quote:

“There are a very large number of homosexuals in the Arab world, the official rhetoric is often well short of the actual practical situation is on the ground.

We took a prominent Canadian politician, Sven Robinson [to Iraq], who made a speech which opposed sanctions, opposed the upcoming war, and then launched an attack on Iraq for a perceived witch-hunt against gays and many people said to us afterwards, if you had only have spoken to us about that you would have found out in practice that’s not true at all.”

“Obviously homosexuality is disapproved of in the Koran as its disapproved of in the bible and I don’t know, but I presume also in the Torah. Therefore the official position of Islamic states is always going to be well short of what you want.”

“I don’t think you should be surprised that in explicitly Islamic countries, the Koranic injunctions against homosexuality are the official policies of the state, none the less, many homosexuals continue to practice their way of life, mostly without intervention from the state.

and yet for Iran:

quote:

Sodomy (lavat) is punishable by death. The judge can determine the type of death, but in practice it is always hanging. The proof requirements are the same as for adultery and such sentences are very rare. If one of the consenting participants was under 18, the punishment is 100 lashes for the minor. If the sodomites are repentant, they generally receive a reduced sentence of 99 lashes. All convicted sodomites spend one year in prison in addition, and can be sentenced to more prison time at the judge's discretion. Few consensual sodomites are sentenced to death, but prior to 2012, both partners could receive the death penalty.On March 15, 2005, the daily newspaper Etemaad reported that the Tehran Criminal Court sentenced two men to death following the discovery of a video showing them engaged in homosexual acts. Another two men were allegedly hanged publicly in the northern town of Gorgan for sodomy in November 2005.[36] In July 2006 two youths were hanged for "sex crimes" in north-eastern Iran, probably consensual homosexual acts.[2] On November 16, 2006, the State-run news agency reported the public execution of man convicted of sodomy in the western city of Kermanshah.[37]

And in Iraq under Saddam:

quote:

In 2001, the IRCC Resolution 234 of 2001 was enacted that established the death penalty for adultery, being involved with prostitution, and anyone who, "Commits the crime of sodomy with a male or female or who violates the honor of a male or female without his or her consent and under the threat of arm or by force in a way that the life of the victim (male or female) is threatened."

While this law has been cited by some international groups as a ban on homosexuality, the Resolution would seem to only prohibit homosexual or heterosexual sodomy that did not involve consent or that did involve adultery or prostitution. However, as no same-sex marriages have been or are recognized in Iraq (as of March 2015) homosexual acts may be considered adultery by definition.

And though persecution of homosexuals is up since Saddam's day, the upward trend definitely began under Saddam.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Disinterested posted:

Well on Gay Rights one could consider:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou1es7fNTpk

and yet for Iran:

And in Iraq under Saddam:

And though persecution of homosexuals is up since Saddam's day, the upward trend definitely began under Saddam.

Thanks for the effort post. :)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Discover this one weird trick to stay a virgin forever! Liberals hate him!

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

TinTower posted:

Discover this one weird trick to stay a virgin forever! Liberals hate him!

#killyourparents

At least he remembered to flip the image.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
This talk of university students being drafted in to do seasonal farm work by the woman who wrote the UKIP manifesto reminded me that someone's tried that before.....

(UKMT May '15: How Many Voters Does It Take To Change A Lightbulb? None. Voting Changes Nothing. )

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I'm resubmitting my thread title idea:

UKMT May '15: Nobody's Making Plans for Nigel

Definitely my favourite.

The Gravy Train is up on 4OD for anyone who is interested in a bit of EU politics. It's got Christoph Waltz and Alexei Sayle in it!

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

UKMT - Hung Parliament 2: Election Boogaloo

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Phoon posted:

:agreed:

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

Don't Labour want to appoint an internation LGBT rights commission or something? Don't see how that could be put to dodgy use...

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Pantsuit posted:

Don't Labour want to appoint an internation LGBT rights commission or something? Don't see how that could be put to dodgy use...

As long as it's Michael Cashman, I'd be okay with it.

International LGBT advocacy is a delicate issue. You can't do things that would make you feel good, such as cutting off aid, as it would affect the people you're trying to help the most. The consensus approach is basically "exert all the soft influence you can to push them in the right direction".

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Some Liberal Party dude vs Orange Booker Libdem David Laws Daily Politics.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Phoon posted:

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.

Disinterested posted:

Hardly - Chamali Fernando is a bit of a wally and my view from seeing her talk at hustings is that she isn't very good at them and she just makes stuff up on the spot that she thinks might sound good, without really thinking it through. At the hustings I went to she argued that tuition fees should be abolished for quite a bit, before saying, 'unfortunately that's not possible at the present time'.

She obviously isn't representing Tory policy and she's not really a serious candidate. What she said was dumb, but it clearly wasn't intended maliciously.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Whitefish posted:

Hardly - Chamali Fernando is a bit of a wally and my view from seeing her talk at hustings is that she isn't very good at them and she just makes stuff up on the spot that she thinks might sound good, without really thinking it through. At the hustings I went to she argued that tuition fees should be abolished for quite a bit, before saying, 'unfortunately that's not possible at the present time'.

She obviously isn't representing Tory policy and she's not really a serious candidate. What she said was dumb, but it clearly wasn't intended maliciously.

:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Pork Pie Hat posted:

This talk of university students being drafted in to do seasonal farm work by the woman who wrote the UKIP manifesto reminded me that someone's tried that before.....

(UKMT May '15: How Many Voters Does It Take To Change A Lightbulb? None. Voting Changes Nothing. )

Got a link to this?

• Locked thread