Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Tortolia posted:

On the subject of Accuracy, should that be something I concern myself with as a Scholar? I try to be liberal with my DOT casting in groups but don't know how to try to gear up for accuracy specifically or if it's worth worrying about.

Accuracy is important for Second Coil of Bahamut, but not worth worrying about aside from maybe food otherwise. If you plan on doing Second / Final Coil, the best way to get extra accuracy is to put Accuracy on your Novus/Nexus. As a happy coincidence, it reduces the total cost of your Novus to less than 1/10th the cost of 44 Crit / 31 Det!

Niton fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Tortolia posted:

On the subject of Accuracy, should that be something I concern myself with as a Scholar? I try to be liberal with my DOT casting in groups but don't know how to try to gear up for accuracy specifically or if it's worth worrying about.

Accuracy is a free stat on all i100+ healing gear, you don't get any acc/??? gear like every other class in the game. The only way you can come close to hitting the acc cap for scob is with an accuracy spec nexus (don't do this) or heavily melded i90 gear (don't do this either).

Don't worry about it too much. Your job is primarily to keep people alive, any extra dps you can throw out is usually just a bonus.

EDIT: Heals and non-damaging spells can never miss. The only SCH skills that can miss are Miasma/MiasmaII, Bio II, and Ruin/Ruin II.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
WHMs don't really get enough uninterrupted casting time to make +acc worthwhile, but you could definitely make a case for an Omnilex Novus/Nexus with accuracy IV.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

bonewitch posted:

Accuracy is a free stat on all i100+ healing gear, you don't get any acc/??? gear like every other class in the game. The only way you can come close to hitting the acc cap for scob is with an accuracy spec nexus (don't do this) or heavily melded i90 gear (don't do this either).

Don't worry about it too much. Your job is primarily to keep people alive, any extra dps you can throw out is usually just a bonus.

EDIT: Heals and non-damaging spells can never miss. The only SCH skills that can miss are Miasma/MiasmaII, Bio II, and Ruin/Ruin II.

Acc Nexus is actually really good. It's especially great if you're in a position where you might get your hands on a HA Grimoire of Healing, because then you have two weapons for different situations, but as long as you're just doing SCoB, you're going to have plenty of opportunities to use your extra accuracy.

e: Also, Energy Drain can miss. And that's something you'll use even if you're not DPSing.

Niton fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 9, 2014

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

bonewitch posted:

This made me laugh, thanks.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Niton posted:

Acc Nexus is actually really good. It's especially great if you're in a position where you might get your hands on a HA Grimoire of Healing, because then you have two weapons for different situations, but as long as you're just doing SCoB, you're going to have plenty of opportunities to use your extra accuracy.

Ehhh, it feels like a bunch of wasted stats to me. Even full ACC means you won't hit the cap without acc food and an acc piece somewhere, and missing a dps cast here and there doesn't seem like a huge deal unless you're kiting renauds or something.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

bonewitch posted:

Ehhh, it feels like a bunch of wasted stats to me. Even full ACC means you won't hit the cap without acc food and an acc piece somewhere, and missing a dps cast here and there doesn't seem like a huge deal unless you're kiting renauds or something.

you should probably stop

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

bonewitch posted:

Even if you can't get to acc cap, your group arguably gets more out of you contributing 100+ DPS to fights than it would if you had slightly more MP or healed for a couple percent more.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

100-180 scholar DPS on T9 is totally wasted-- oh wait

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan

bonewitch posted:

Bulk Slabhead
Oct 18, 2013

bonewitch posted:

hahahahahaha

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

The Chairman posted:

Even if you can't get to acc cap, your group arguably gets more out of you contributing 100+ DPS to fights than it would if you had slightly more MP or healed for a couple percent more.

I don't see why you can't do that with a crit/det nexus though? At i110 with accuracy food, you've got 425 acc. Unless I'm missing something, that should still let most of your dots hit.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

bonewitch posted:

I don't see why you can't do that with a crit/det nexus though? At i110 with accuracy food, you've got 425 acc. Unless I'm missing something, that should still let most of your dots hit.
It's not reliable at that point. There is a lot of value in making a Bind or Disease hit with 100% rate, much more value in my opinion than the 31 det you're missing out on does.

E: There's also the matter that a dot missing is more damage lost than you'd imagine on a scholar, because you don't always have the time to instantly recast it.

Smart Car fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 9, 2014

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

bonewitch posted:

that's 45 accuracy from the cap

you're definitely missing something. a lot of things, actually

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

No other stat will ever approach the stat value of uncapped accuracy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

bonewitch posted:

T8 and 9 require 471 for magic users. 425 will result in a noticeable amount of misses.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
We've found a new Olesh, I can finally forgive him in my heart.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

T8 and 9 require 471 for magic users. 425 will result in a noticeable amount of misses.

Stufoo
May 9, 2010

Everybody Loves Me
and that's just about as funky as I can be

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Mr. Nice! posted:

Doublestep posted:

that's 45 accuracy from the cap

you're definitely missing something. a lot of things, actually

I didn't realize how hard accuracy fell off I guess, I've always been above or so close to the cap that I don't have any misses.

Also congrats on finding my account I guess :shrug: If you read literally any of my recent posts in the thread you'd realize that I'm currently working on T9.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

As someone using a UAT as my main weapon and Soldiery / Sands / Oil gear for the most part, what steps do I need to take to get extra accuracy for my SCH?

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

nuru posted:

As someone using a UAT as my main weapon and Soldiery / Sands / Oil gear for the most part, what steps do I need to take to get extra accuracy for my SCH?

Pentamelded i90 boots/gloves/ring but we're so close to 2.4 it wouldn't be worth the gil

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

So basically be lazy and fill out my remaining Soldiery slots and DF my way to victory?

Sounds good.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
If you're not doing second coil I believe you can hit everything in the game at 435 acc, and that acc requirement is just for hunts/levi/ramuh/coil1

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

First Google link for second coil accuracy cap failed me! Actually looking at it again it says 471 for 8 and the 470 for 9.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/278dx2/accuracy_cap_for_everything_coil_19/

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Doublestep posted:

If you're not doing second coil I believe you can hit everything in the game at 435 acc, and that acc requirement is just for hunts/levi/ramuh/coil1

What's the hunt acc requirements? I never noticed missing on S ranks as a monk but I've probably never been under 460 acc when killing them either.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

First Google link for second coil accuracy cap failed me! Actually looking at it again it says 471 for 8 and the 470 for 9.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/278dx2/accuracy_cap_for_everything_coil_19/

The 471 for T8 is simply because the person doing the BLM spreadsheet never tested with 470. I haven't missed on T8 with 470 acc in about 4000 hits. Also, you hit 470 naturally with BLM bis.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I've also always heard 506 for front on T9 and never missed with it.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I consider myself educated on the whole Accuracy thing, then. Thanks.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

I've also always heard 506 for front on T9 and never missed with it.

T9 front is definitely higher than that because I remember people missing with over 500 but less than 512 or 513 or whatever.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'll have to parse to see if I do have any misses next week. I haven't ever noticed a miss mid combo but I might have just been lucky or didn't notice.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Evil Fluffy posted:

What's the hunt acc requirements? I never noticed missing on S ranks as a monk but I've probably never been under 460 acc when killing them either.

They have Coil1 accuracy, i believe Twin's

Stufoo
May 9, 2010

Everybody Loves Me
and that's just about as funky as I can be
Darnus needs 515 from the front, 506 will miss 2% of the time.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Do these acc numbers apply for melee DPS too? I'm just getting to 50 with drg and while I'm not to this content yet, I know I need to start getting my acc up there before focusing on other stats.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

CodfishCartographer posted:

Do these acc numbers apply for melee DPS too? I'm just getting to 50 with drg and while I'm not to this content yet, I know I need to start getting my acc up there before focusing on other stats.

Yes, bosses have three accuracy requirements (front, flank, magic). Physical DPS will need flank accuracy except for certain fights where you need to hit the boss from the front.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

bonewitch posted:

I didn't realize how hard accuracy fell off I guess, I've always been above or so close to the cap that I don't have any misses.

Also congrats on finding my account I guess :shrug: If you read literally any of my recent posts in the thread you'd realize that I'm currently working on T9.

Belzac posted:

We've found a new Olesh, I can finally forgive him in my heart.

If you were a caster with 468 accuracy, I'd open myself to more unpopular opinions and say that you don't have to rush out and eat accuracy food or immediately re-itemize to hit that magic number. It's close enough, and sure, aim for hitting the accuracy cap when you can.

But 425 is a pretty big difference - no stat is going to help your DPS anywhere near as much as accuracy will at that point.

For healers, it's less important - extra DPS is nice, and you should aim to be DPSing whenever you don't have to heal, but nobody is going to care if you miss 20% of your Ruins or Bios. Get it if you want it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Just as a point of curiosity, how much DPS can one expect to get from keeping Cleric Stance'd Bio II/Miasma/Bio up and not casting Ruin? Ballpark, please, don't bust a nut trying to figure out exact numbers.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Olesh posted:

If you were a caster with 468 accuracy, I'd open myself to more unpopular opinions and say that you don't have to rush out and eat accuracy food or immediately re-itemize to hit that magic number. It's close enough, and sure, aim for hitting the accuracy cap when you can.

But 425 is a pretty big difference - no stat is going to help your DPS anywhere near as much as accuracy will at that point.

For healers, it's less important - extra DPS is nice, and you should aim to be DPSing whenever you don't have to heal, but nobody is going to care if you miss 20% of your Ruins or Bios. Get it if you want it.

We're talking about second coil. SCH DPS is pretty important. Taking a 20% DPS loss just so you can get some extra det or crit is loving stupid.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Just as a point of curiosity, how much DPS can one expect to get from keeping Cleric Stance'd Bio II/Miasma/Bio up and not casting Ruin? Ballpark, please, don't bust a nut trying to figure out exact numbers.

Why wouldn't you cast ruin, though? You can get a couple of ruins off while still keeping bio/bio II/miasma/aero up.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 10, 2014

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm not an ACC-stacking SCH DPS expert or anything, but if you managed to keep Bio/Bio2/Miasma/Aero up for a whole fight you could easily dump out 200-250 dps. If you drop Shadowflares and Ruins, you'll hit 300 no problem.

SCH is amazingly well suited to the role of "DPS that can heal if we're in need". It's nothing to sneeze at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yeah we book clubbed through a relic train with nothing but scholars (and a war on titan) and pretty much melted everything we came across.

• Locked thread